Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

Geronimo Stilton - Een Reis Door De Tijd Graphic Novels 7: Op Naar De Prehistorie! (Dinosauri in Azione!)

22892834.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction, Historical Fiction

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback (Ex-Library Copy)

Pages: 48

Date read: 03-05-2015

ISBN: 9789085921608

Synopsis (GoodReads): The Pirate Cats have had their plans foiled by Geronimo Stilton time and time again, due to the help from Geronimo’s friend Professor Volt. The Pirate Cats decide to better their offs by getting rid of Professor Volt; kidnapping him and leaving him in the Cretaceous Period – a time when the earth was occupied by dinosaurs! Geronimo and his friends must travel back in time 140 million years to save Professor Volt from literally becoming a part of history!

My thoughts:

My boyfriend saw this book for sale at the library. The pages are falling out, so that's probably why the library was selling it. Still, at the cheap price of €1,- , I couldn't resist. This is a comic book / graphic novel story, which partly takes place in the time of the dinosaurs.

I enjoyed reading this book. I hadn't read a Stilton graphic novel before (I haven't seen them at the library, I shall have a look some time to find out where they keep the comics). The book was educational, talking about different dinosaur species.

I liked the illustrations and I enjoyed reading this story, it was a fun story.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 1: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates

9583157.jpg

(the cover of my edition actually has a few extra things on the cover, such as the arrow with 'Winner of the Roald Dahl Funny Prize 2011)

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Format: Hardback (Library Loan)

Pages: 250

ISBN: 9781407120690

Synopsis (GoodReads): All Tom Gates wants to do is get tickets to see his favourite band when they come to town. It's not easy when he's up against Delia, his weirdo big sister. All of his plans seem to get him into major trouble!

My thoughts:

When I saw the first book in this series at the library (in English), I didn't hesitate and borrowed it. I've previously read books 3, 4, 2 and 4.5 (in that order) and I really enjoyed them. I've been trying to find the first book in the series for a long while, so I was really happy to have found it.

It was grea to read this first book in the series. The book has won several awards, the Roald Dahl Funny Prize 2011, the Waterstones Children's Book Prize 2012 Best Ficiton for 5-12s and the Best Book for Younger Readers Red House Children's Book Award 2012.

The book is very funny. I loved the illustrations and the writing style. I knew a few bits about what would happen, because I read the later books first (are there more?) but I still really enjoyed the story. There were some unexpected plot twists too. I liked the characters, they were very interesting (of course, most were already familiar to me).

Overall then I really enjoyed reading this book. It was great to finally read the first book, it was just as good as the later books (2, 3 and 4; 4.5 was a bit too short for my liking). I really enjoyed reading this book. I look forward to read the later books in this series. I don't know if the library owns them or not, but I hope to find them there some time.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Rachel Renée Russel - Dork Diaries 7: Tales from a Not-So-Glam TV Star

18689810.jpg

(note: the cover is actually more gold-coloured than yellow)

Pages: 326

ISBN: 9781442487673

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series).

My thoughts:

I've previously read books 3, 4, 6 and 1 in this series (in that order). When I saw book 7 at the library I immediately wanted to borrow it and so I did. I read it for the read-a-thon.

This book starts off where book 6 left off (book 6 did end). I enjoyed reading this story. I did find some aspects a bit unrealistic, compared with the earlier books in the series (well, the ones I've read). The story was funny though and I liked the plot twists, characters and writing style. The illustrations were nice to look at. The book was enjoyable to read. I look forward to read the next book, as well as to read the other books in the series that I haven't read yet (books 2 and 5).

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

I agree about The Color War, except with the character development, which I didn't find all that strong.  I thought the story was a bit stereotypical

like with Raymond's black best friend that was accidentally shot in the drive by.

I agree about The Color War, except with the character development, which I didn't find all that strong.  I thought the story was a bit stereotypical [...]

Yes I suppose that is true. I haven't read many books with this theme so I wouldn't quite know :blush2:. I liked the story but it didn't have as much depth as the author's full length books, I thought. 

Wow, lots of books! You must be feeing very enlightened after reading all those quotations. :D

And I'm glad you're enjoying your Babysitters' re-reads so much. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, isn't it? :)

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 4: Hoe Overleef Ik Mijn Eerste Zoen?

25450717.jpg

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 142

Date read: 06-05-2015

ISBN: 9789045111575

My thoughts:

I've previously read books 5-13 in this series, except 9, and I've also read book 1 (in that order). When I saw book 4 in this series at the library, I jumped at the chance to read it.

This book was similar in design as the later books in the series. I really liked most of the later books, but didn't get on so well with book 1, because it was a bit different than the later ones. I was glad then that this book was a lot like the later books. I really liked the characters and the writing style. The book discusses some deep issues, it has some depth to it. I quite liked finding out what this earlier part of the story was like (since the first book I read in this series was book 5).

There was one twist I saw coming, but most of the other plot twists were unexpected. Of course I did know where book 5 starts off at. Anyway, it was quite enjoyable to read this book and find out what happened before book 5. The book was suspenseful.

I went to the book fair yesterday, since it was pretty close by this time. I hadn't been in February because I was too ill or too tired to go. It was great to go now though :). I really tried to watch for how much things cost, and my most expensive book was €3,99 (unless you count the one book my boyfriend got, which was €7,99). We did also buy a puzzle, that was the most expensive 'item', we got a 20% discount because of the voucher we had. I also bought some pens. Below follows a photo and a list of the books.

NewBooks07-05-2015HetBoekenfestijn_0.25.jpg

The book my boyfriend bought:

Gregory Benford - The Amazing Weapons That Never Were - Robots, Flying Tanks & Other Machines of War

These ones I bought:

Stephen Fry - Memoir 2: The Fry Chronicles (I like the man, and I've been meaning to read some of his writings. Several people have recommended his memoirs to me)

Ed van Eeden - District Noord 1: Dossier Jeugdbende (a nice short read-a-thon detective)

Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö - Sjöwall & Wahlöö 9: De Politiemoordenaar (Polismördaren) (I didn't have this one yet)

Mark Haddon - The Red House (this was on my wishlist for a while, because I really enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time)

Caterina Bonvicini - De Trage Glimlach (Il Sorriso Lento) (this sounded good and was pretty cheap)

Joshua Ferris - Zo Kwamen We Aan Het Eind (Then We Came to the End) (this sounded good and was cheap)

Jonathan Tropper - 7 Dagen, 7 Nachten (This Is Where I Leave You) (I believe Frankie / Sari recommended this to me.)

Emma Harrison - The Best Girl: If You're Going for the Perfect Guy, You Want to Be... (this looked cute and it was cheap, a nice short read-a-thon read)

Yoyo van Gemerde - Sushi & Chardonnay (another suited for a read-a-thon)

Julia Stuart - De Dorpskapper van Amour (The Matchmaker of Périgord) (this sounded nice)

Astrid Harrewijn - Luchtkussen: In Het Gooi Lijken Dingen Soms Mooier Dan Ze Zijn... (I have two other books by the author, it sounded nice)

Mike Gayle - Turning Thirty 2: Turning Forty: Laughter. Tears. Beers... and Cake (I have book 1 in this series on my TBR, in Dutch. I was recommended this author by someone.)

Lauren Weisberger - Last Night At Chateau Marmont (I liked The Devil Wears Prada by the same author, I also own its sequel but I haven't read that one yet).

Jennifer Weiner - Fly Away Home: One Mother. Two Daughters. Three Life-changing Decisions. (I read other book(s) by the author and liked those)

Jennifer Weiner - Cannie Shapiro 1: Good in Bed (see one above, plus I have book 2 of this series on my shelf, unread).

Marian Keyes - The Brightest Star in the Sky (I own one other unread book by the author, and I really liked the cover of this book).

Miranda Dickinson - When I Fall in Love (this author came recommended to me by someone)

Melissa Hill - Before I Forget: If You Could Hold On To Just One Memory, What Would It Be? (I really liked some other books by the author)

Melissa Hill - Lakeview 5: The Guest List (I didn't know this was part of a series, that's just what GoodReads tells me. See above, I really liked some other books by the author).

Marianne De Pierres - The Sentients of Orion 3: Mirror Space (I own book 2, unread.)

Ian Watson and Ian Whates - The Mammoth Book Of SF Wars (short science-fiction stories)

Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Mike Miller and Harvey Tolibao - The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels 0: New Spring (I was super excited to find this. I own the graphic novel of book 1 digitally, but I much prefer to read a paperbook, so I was very excited to have found it and for such a low price. I didn't know they made more of the series into a graphic novel. This is the prequel. The book fair had more interesting graphic novels but they were usually more pricey so I didn't buy them.)

George R. R. Martin - Wild Cards 18: Inside Straight (Initially I didn't put this one in my basket, but then I saw there was a second book of the series. I have heard people talk about them.)

George R. R. Martin - Wild Cards 20: Suicide Kings (see above.)

Laini Taylor - Daughter of Smoke and Bone 2: Days of Blood and Starlight (I own book 1, unread.)

Isaac Marion - Warm Bodies 1: Warm Bodies (Dutch) (I've heard good things about this book).

J. V. Jones - Sword Of Shadows 4: Watcher of the Dead (I own other books by the author, including one in this series. They can be hard to find so for a low price I was swayed.)

Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth 12: The Omen Machine (I was happy to have found this, and for a low price too. I own all the other books in the series in English, after giving my brother my Dutch versions (other than this book since I didn't own it in Dutch nor English))

Jonathan Auxier - Peter Nimble 1: Peter Nimble And His Fantastic Eyes (this book seemed interesting. When I got home I checked out the author's website as to find out his nationality. Have a look: Website, click on the About link and be surprised.. if that humour is also in the book, I'll love it.)

Paul B. Thompson, Tonya C. Cook and Douglas Niles - Dragonlance: The Elven Nations Trilogy 1-3: Firstborn, The Kinslayer Wars, The Qualinesti (I actually already own book 1 in this omnibus, but it was a low price for the omnibus so I went for it).

Also, Michelle was so kind to sent me :exc: :

Peter F. Hamilton - Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers 1: The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Signed Proof Copy)

20150507_201925_0.25.jpg

Eric Clavie - Benno 1: Benno en de Griezelfabriek

1001004006888864.jpg

(note: the blue in this photo is more purple on the cover of the library's copy of the book)

Genre: Horror

Pages: 230

Date read: 07-05-2015 <-> 08-05-2015

ISBN: 9789022324103

Synopsis (me): Benno doesn't like surprises, being scared or Halloween. His mother loves Halloween. She is a teacher at Benno's school and every year she organises a big Halloween party. Benno's mum calls herself Queen Halloween and she's so busy the whole year organising this party, that she doesn't have much time for Benno. She leaves him a note to go pick up his devil's costume at the 'Griezelfabriek' (scary factory, a shop). Benno is so mad while he is trying on the suit inside the Griezelfabriek that he smashes the mirror. But then he gets trapped in the world behind the mirror.

My thoughts:

I saw this book and its sequel at the library. I hadn't heard of the books or the author before. According to th eback of the books, the author is Belgian and has been writing advertisement slogans for over twenty years. He is also a freelance actor and has been in several theatre plays. I was attracted to the books because of their spines and covers. I meant to read them during the read-a-thon but I didn't have enough time then. Naturally I started with book 1.

This was a really nice story. It's pretty suspenseful, with quite a bit of action. The characters were very interesting too. I also liked the writing style. It was pretty descriptive sometimes, and it was nice (but it wasn't too descriptive that it became dull).

The book contains quite a few illustrations. At the start of every chapter is a big illustration. Throughout the text there are sometimes small illustrations, ie. of bats or spiderwebs or blood or characters. Sometimes they repeat later in the book. Either way I really liekd the illustrations. They made the book feel even more 'Halloweeny' / scary.

Of course, it probably would've been more atmospheric if I'd read the book in October but oh well. Somehow I get along better with children's horror books than adult ones. Maybe because sometimes they are more comical?

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. It has great characters, great illustrations, a nice writing style and good plot twists. The author has a lot of imagination (that's a good thing). I look forward to read book 2 and find out what will happen in that one. Book 1 can easily be read on its own, it does have a conclusive ending.

Lovely book haul, Gaia! Well done for watching your purse - I imagine it can be easy to get carried away at these things. :D

I love the film of Warm Bodies but have never read the book. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Thanks, Laura :D. Yes, it is :yes:. Thanks!

I received a pre-order:

Terry Brooks - The Defenders of Shannara 1: The High Druid's Blade

Two more are on their way, I'll post their titles when I have received the books.

The Benno book sounds fun!  I'm glad you had a good time at the book far!  That's a lot of books :P  :readingtwo: At least we know you will read them :giggle2:

Edited by Anna Begins

The Benno book sounds fun!  I'm glad you had a good time at the book far!  That's a lot of books :P  :readingtwo: At least we know you will read them :giggle2:

I really hope you like this one!! :smile2:

I hope so too, I'll be sure to let you know when I've read it :).

Eric Clavie - Benno 2: Benno en het Drakengeld

1001004010301377.jpg

Pages: 272

Date read: 08-05-2015

ISBN: 9789022325599

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's part of a series).

My thoughts:

Once I read book 1, I then went on to read book 2 in this series. I borrowed them both from the library to read during the raed-a-thon but I didn't get around to doing so when it was the read-a-thon last weekend.

This book continues the story of book 1, it briefly explains some events and characters. Similar things that I wrote about book 1, also apply here. I really liked the characters, plot twists, writing style and illustrations (similar in design and layout as book 1). The book contained a couple of songs, that was nice.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this second book. The story does end, I don't know if there will be mroe books or not. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about them online. Either way, I really enjoyed reading these two books. I think they are well thought-out and well written, and I really enjoyed reading them.

Hilde E. Gerard and Eric Bouwens - Heinrich Ooooh 2: Heinrich Ooooh & De Vraatzuchtige Vampiers

17156302.jpg

Pages: 160

Date read: 09-05-2015

ISBN: 9789059084445

Synopsis (me): Heinrich and his sister Hannelore run a hotel, called G&G . They normally recieve some 'supernatural' guests. In this book they have to deal with vampires.

My thoughts:

I saw this book and book 3 in this series at the library. They seemed like good books for a read-a-thon, so I borrowed them. I didn't get around to reading them for the read-a-thon so I read this one some days after the read-a-thon.

This was an enjoyable story. The book is divided up into chapters and contains quite a few illustrations. The book also contains some recipes, bits from the hotel's website and information about vampires. I really liked the characters. The illustrations were quite nice to look at. I also liked the plot twists and the writing style. A lot of creativity went into this book. The book was funny in places too.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. It was entertaining. I look forward to read book 3, the other book in this series that I borrowed from the library. Mayb esome day I can find book 1, and any other books by the author(s).

Hilde E. Gerard and Eric Bouwens - Heinrich Ooooh 3: Heinrich Ooooh & De Zeurderige Zombies

18469158.jpg

Pages: 128

ISBN: 9789059084643

Synopsis (me): Heinrich and his sister Hannelore run a hotel, called G&G . They normally recieve some 'supernatural' guests. In this book they have to deal with zombies.

My thoughts:

After reading book 2 in this series, I went on to read book 3.

The book is similar in design as book 2 (I haven't read book 1). The book contains recipes, information about zombies and other creatures / monsters and personal logs from Heinrich about hotel stuff and guests.

I quite liked this book. The story was suspenseful and I liked the plot twists. I also liked the characters. The illustrations were nice to look at. The book was funny in places and I liked it slightly more than book 2.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. I'd like to read book 1 some time, and there are more books in the series too, so hopefully I can read those some time too (borrow from the library).

Diana Wynne Jones - The Game

2899229.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 220 (excluding excerpt)

ISBN: 9780007267132

Synopsis (GoodReads): Hayley's parents disappeared when she was a baby, so she has been brought up by her grandparents. Then one day she is packed off to Ireland to live with her aunts - and a whole host of cousins she never knew about! Here she is introduced to "the game" which involves adventures in the forbidden "mythosphere". And here also is where Hayley discovers the truth about her family.

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library. I've previously read Howl's Moving Castle 1: Howl's Moving Castle by the same author and I really enjoyed that book. So I thought I'd try another book by the author, when I saw this at the library.

This is an interesting story. It's quite creative. I liked the characters and the plot twists. On occasion I was a little bit confused what was going on. I liked the writing style.

The book contains some extras at the end of the story. These were also interesting to read.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this story. I liked the world and the characters. I was a bit confused on occasion but overall I quite liked the book.

Natasha Farrant - The Diaries of Bluebell Gadsby 2: Flora in Love

18627399.jpg

Pages: 276

Date read: 09-05-2015 <-> 10-05-2015

ISBN: 9780571297979

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library and it sounded interesting to me, so I borrowed it. I wasn't expecting it to be great, because I hadn't heard of it before and the cover made me think it would be more of a chick-lit type book. I decided to read a few pages to see if it would grab me, and it did.

This book was better than I was expecting. It is book 2 in the series, but I was easily able to follow it (some events from the previous book are mentioned). The book is a combination of diary entries and screenplays of what the main character films with her camera. I thought this was a pretty original way of telling the story. I've not seen it before in books, that I remember.

The book had more depth than I was expecting and it was funny in places. The characters were interesting, I liked them. The plot twists were pretty good too and the book was suspenseful, aprticularly the second half. I wanted to keep on reading.

I woudln't call the book 'literary fiction'but it had more depth than I was expecting from it based on the book's cover. It's not the cheesy romancy story I was expecting, and it's a better book for it.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. I didn't have many expectations of it before I started to read it. I was pleasantly surprised to like it so much. I'd like to read the other books in the series too some time, hopefully I can find them at the library some day.

Do van Ranst - Dina 1: Zeven Zinnen en een Hoed (from Dit is Dina! Omnibus 1-4)

1001004006050016.jpg

(the omnibus)

Pages: 52

Date read: 10-05-2015

ISBN: 9789059082694 (this is the ISBN of the omnibus)

Synopsis (me): Dina's first adventure with acting.

My thoughts:

When I saw Dit is Dina! Omnibus 1-4 at the library I borrowed it. I've previously read Dina is Terug! Omnibus 5-8 and quite enjoyed those four books. This omnibus doesn't have the purple font that the other one had, and it is quite a bit shorter. This first book is only 52 pages long and it doesn't contain any diary entries (unlike all of the later books, I can say now that I've read book 2 as well at this time of writing).

It was nice to read the beginning of the series. The book contains some information about acting after the story (I think all of the books in this omnibus do, books 5-8 didn't have this.). I liked the story and the characters, but the book didn't have the depth of some of the later books. It also wasn't as long so perhaps it makes sense. I felt it ended a bit abruptly.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this first book in the omnibus and series, but I didn't like it as much as books 5-8 which I read a while ago. I liked the story and the characters but it ended a bit too abruptly and felt like an introduction more than a long book. I look forward to read the other books in this omnibus.

Rating: (***) (6/10)

Do van Ranst - Dina 2: Een Pruik en Paarse Lippen (from Dit is Dina! Omnibus 1-4)

1001004006050016.jpg

(the omnibus)

Pages: 76

Date read: 10-05-2015

ISBN: 9789059082694 (this is the ISBN of the omnibus)

My thoughts:

After reading book 1 in the omnibus, I went on to read book 2. I've read books 5-8 a while ago, also in an omnibus.

The book takes place a while after book 1. Unlike the previous book, but like books 5-8, this book does contain a few diary entries.

I liked this book more than book 1 (but not as much as books 5-8). The book was longer and there was more going on in the story. It did end a bit abruptly (just like book 1). At the end of the story there were a few pages with information about certain aspects of acting.

Overall then I liked book 2 more than book 1, but I liked books 5-8 better (particularly books 5 and 7). I look forward to read books 3 and 4, they are also in this omnibus.

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Kindle pre-order has arrived:

Susan Hatler - Better Date Than Never 10: Date and Dash

I'll be reading this for the read-a-thon next month.

I'm also waiting on two pre-orders in the post.

Does anyone else sometimes have problems writing reviews? I feel, particularly with books in the same series (because no spoilers are allowed), I kind of run out of interesting things to say in my reviews :blush2:. I don't want to stop writing reviews, but I feel my reviews are getting very samey.

Edited by Athena

For me, what I find happening is that I am not so much reviewing as considering aspects of the book / series I'm reading. Some days they are merely random thoughts strung together.

Spoiler wise - just throw it al in there and cover them with the spoiler function. If that puts off anyone from reading your review then that is their loss! :D  

Does anyone else sometimes have problems writing reviews? I feel, particularly with books in the same series (because no spoilers are allowed), I kind of run out of interesting things to say in my reviews :blush2:. I don't want to stop writing reviews, but I feel my reviews are getting very samey.

Your reviews are great, Gaia. :) A lot of your reviews are for shorter books, so I imagine there is less to say about them anyway. Also, you seem to write a lot of them all in one go and about books you've read over a short period of time, so maybe that's why it feels repetitive to you?

I normally don't have a problem with writing reviews, though I do struggle to keep them consistent. Sometimes I can write a really professional-sounding objective review, while in others I seem to start every sentence with "I think that . . .", "I found that . . .". I also find it generally easier to write negative reviews than positive ones, as it's easier to pick out reasons why I disliked a book than why I liked it. :shrug:

As for the spoilers, I'd say do what Chrissy says! Or do what I do, and just post them willy-nilly without spoiler tags. :hide::giggle2: