Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

Well, I think you will like War of the Worlds.  I think, after, if you were curious, you could find the radio broadcast from it online for free.  It's very good.

I know you like the Stilton books so :exc:

I've read Blaze but can't remember much about it, which is unusual, I mostly remember the books I've read :(

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely books Gaia! Well done for loaning a lot more than you bought. :)

Thanks, Laura :)! I hadn't actually thought about it, but this is the first year in many years, that I've, so far, read more than I've bought! Even though my TBR didn't actually go down as much, because some of my reads were library loans. But okay! Still, it's a first, since I was a young teenager :).

Well, I think you will like War of the Worlds.  I think, after, if you were curious, you could find the radio broadcast from it online for free.  It's very good.

I know you like the Stilton books so :exc:

I've read Blaze but can't remember much about it, which is unusual, I mostly remember the books I've read :(

Thanks, I hope so. I don't know yet if I'll get around to reading it, it will depend on my mood and such, but we will see. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :).

Thanks, I do! It's a shame they didn't have more of them :P.

Awww :(.

Thanks, Laura :)! I hadn't actually thought about it, but this is the first year in many years, that I've, so far, read more than I've bought! Even though my TBR didn't actually go down as much, because some of my reads were library loans. But okay! Still, it's a first, since I was a young teenager :).

That's definitely a huge achievement! Keep up the good work, and hopefully you'll end the year with more books read than books bought. :D

I downloaded a free Kindle ebook a few days ago:

Craig Halloran - The Chronicles of Dragon 1: The Hero, The Sword and The Dragons

There are three pre-ordered paperbooks on their way to me, and one book from Michelle :). I'm also expecting a pre-order on the Kindle in a little while.

I'll be posting a lot of reviews now, of the books I've been reading in the past while. There are a lot of them :blush2:, I don't expect anyone to read them all through, but I do like writing them so :blush2:.

Dr. Philip C. McGraw - Dr. Phil Weet Raad: Levenslessen en Relatietips

1001004001249119.jpg

Genre: Information

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 124

Date read: 26-04-2015

ISBN: 9789027474582

Synopsis (me): More than 100 tips and relationship lessons from two of the author's books, Life Strategies and Relationship Rescue.

My thoughts:

I was given this book as a gift, many years ago. At the time I did flick through it and read bits here and there, but somehow I never read the fullbook. At the time I didn't really know Dr. Phil. I watched some episodes of his show a few years ago and became more familiar with him. Just a few days ago I was reminded of the book and I decided to read it now.

The book contains quotes from two of Dr. Phil's books. I haven't read these two books, though I have one of them on my TBR (since two years ago, when I bought my Kindle). I have previously read Self Matters and The Ultimate Weight Solution.

The book contains more than 100 tips and life lessons for life and relationships. I enjoyed reading the book, most of the tips seemed nice. A few I have heard him say on TV, in English of course (the book is in Dutch). I do find that those sound nicer in English, but that might also be because I'm used to that. The book is pretty short, each page has one, sometimes two tips on it, and the font is big. Sometimes there is a lot of whitespace.

Overall then I liked reading this book. For people who want more information, they might be better off reading the full-length books. As a gift though, it was nice to read it even if it was a bit short on detail sometimes.

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Hondenpootjes (Quotable Dogs) (author is not mentioned in the book, just translator and other people. According to Amazon, it's Jo Scott.)

1001004005008172.jpg

Format: Hardback

Pages: 96

Date read: 26-04-2015

ISBN: 9789045306803

Synopsis (me): This book contains quotes from famous people about dogs, with photos of dogs.

My thoughts:

I was given this book as a gift some years ago. I had flicked through it before, maybe even read it, I'm not sure. I felt like reading something short.

This book contains quotes from famous people about dogs, and photos of dogs. The quotes were usually very nice to read and the photos of the dogs were nice to look at. I was filled with love for our own dogs.

Overtall then I enjoyed reading this book. It contains some nice quotes about dogs and people and some nice photos of dogs.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

Een Hondenleven: Diepzinnige Bespiegelingen over het Bestaan (It's a Dog's Life)

05172008-P5170287.JPG

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 128

Date read: 27-04-2015

ISBN: 9789059471092

Synopsis (me): This book contains quotes about life from www.youaretheauthor.com, where people could submit a comment, with photos of dogs. (note: the site doesn't appear to be online any more).

My thoughts:

I was given this book as a gift a few years ago. After reading Hondenpootjes (Quotable Dogs) yesterday, I thought I would read this book next.

This book contains quotes that were originally posted on www.youaretheauthor.com, and includes the poster's name in the book (sometimes it's anonymous). The quotes are accompanied by black and white photos of dogs.

The quotes are sometimes about dogs, and sometimes they are about life. The book is a bit more serious in tone sometimes, than Hondenpootjes was. I liked the dog photos a lot, I always like seeing photos of dogs (or cats for that matter).

A few quotes were the same or similar as in Hondenpootjes (Quotable Dogs), most were different. I enjoyed reading the quotes and looking at the doggy pictures.

Overall then it was nice to read this book. The photos were nice to look at, and most quotes were nice to read. Some were thought-provoking.

Richard Kinnier, Jenny Kernes, Nancy Tribbensee and Tina van Puymbroeck - "De Zin van het Leven": Volgens de Groten der Aarde ("The Meaning of Life": According to the Great and the Good)

9068684523.gif

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 224

ISBN: 9789068684520

Synopsis (me): This book is based on research done by Prof. Richard Kinnier and his three PhD students (the other authors). It is based on the article "What Eminent People Have Said About the Meaning of Life", published in the Journal of Humanistic Psychology, yr. 43, nr. 1, winter 2003. The quotes are organised into ten subjects (ten chapters), and the book contains an introduction. In this Dutch edition some quotes by Dutch and Belgian people have been added in the place of a few quotes by Americans, by translators Renée Delhez and Arie van der Krogt. The book also contains black and white photos and illustrations of some of the famous people quoted in the book.

My thoughts:

A few years ago I was given this book as a gift. It seemed to fit with the 'theme' of books I've been reading, so I decided to read this book next.

This book is based on scientific research (see what I've written above). The book contains an introduction and ten chapters. The authors arranged the quotes from famous people per theme and found ten themes. The book also contains black and white phtoos and osme illustrations of the famous people who were quoted (the illustrations are there when there was no photo available, ie. of William Shakespeare). The translators added some quotes by Dutch and Belgian people in the place of some quotes by Americans.

I liked the themes of the chapters, though I found some to be more interesting than others. Most of the quotes were really interesting to read and contained some thought-provoking insights.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. It contains a lot of nice quotes about the meaning of life, and it makes you think. It is also hopeful.

Eefje Mikkers - Gouden Woorden: Vriendschap: De Mooiste Citaten over Vriendschap

cms_visual_159382.jpg_1421557842000_260x

Format: Hardback

Pages: 416

ISBN: 9789045306667

Synopsis (me): This book contains quotes about friendschip.

My thoughts:

This book was given to me as a birthday gift a few years ago. I decided to read it now because it fit in with the theme of books I've been reading recently.

This book contains a lot of quotes about friendschip. As a background to the pages, each two pages have a painting for background, the same one as on the book's cover. The background is green / yellow / beige / white-ish of colour, depending on how far you are in the book. The font of the quotes is black, white or green-ish.

The quotes were nice to read, though of course I liked certain quotes more than others. Some contained some advice, others were more general thoughts about friends and friendship.

Overall I liked reading this book, it was nice to read most of the quotes. I do think these kinds of books are not that suited to read them the way one reads full-length novels, but okay.

David Baird - Duizend Wegen: Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting (Thousand Paths: A Thousand Paths to Enlightenment) (re-read)

1001004001959472.jpg

Pages: 466

Date read: 27-04-2015 <-> 28-04-2015

ISBN: 9789045301532

Synopsis (me): This book offers 1000 inspiring thoughts on enlightenment.

My thoughts:

My parents gave me this book for my eigthteenth birthday (it contains their inscription, so sweet!). I read this book back when I was given it, and bought and was given other books in this series after really liking this one. It seemed to fit in with the theme of books I've been reading lately, and I've been meaning to re-read this one and read the other ones I have in the series (I don't have all of them).

It was really nice to read this book again. The book contains eight chapters, and an introduction. The chapters contain insights, tips, quotes and thoughts related to the subject of the chapter.

The book contains background colours and illustrations of patters, usually within a section there is white and one colour used, ie. purple, blue, gold. The font colour is either white or the colour used in that section, depending on whether the background behind the text is white or that colour.

What I really liked about this book, was that it didn't force a specific religion on the reader. There was mention of certain things a few times, but almost all of the 1000 ways (they are not numbered so I don't know how many are actually in the book) are interesting for everyone, regardless of their specific religion. This was one of the things that bothered me in Barbara Ann Kipfer - 1001 Manieren om te Genieten van het Leven: Vind / Ervaar de Kracht van het Moment (1001 Ways to Live in the Moment).

The insights, or however I should call them, in this book, were nice to read again. I quite liked the writing style. There were a few cases of a missing comma between two 'main verbs' in a sentence (persoonsvormen, PVs), but otherwise there weren't many errors in the book (unlike in 1001 Manieren [....]).

Overall then I really enjoyed re-reading this book. It contains a lot of nice thoughts and wisdom (not always very concrete or detailed though). I really liked thathte book wasn't preachy or anythign like that, it didn't force a specific religion on the reader. I also liked the writing style and the design of the book, with the colours and illustrations.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

David Baird - Duizend Wegen: Duizend Wegen Naar Rust (Thousand Paths: A Thousand Paths to Tranquility)

1001004001959471.jpg

Date read: 28-04-2015 <-> 29-04-2015

ISBN: 9789045301631

Synopsis (me): This book offers 1000 inspiring thoughts on tranquility.

My thoughts:

After re-reading Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting, I went on to read this book (because this is the order I made for the books years ago when I was given them or bought them).

This book has a similar design and layout as the other books in this series. It contains eight chapters and an introduction. One chapter is filled with quotes from famous people (this was not the case in Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting, at least not that I can remember, which I read before I read this book). My copy of this book is falling apart a bit, it makes me wonder if I've re-read it before or read bits of it, or maybe it's just because the book is over ten years old, or it was just not made properly.

I enjoyed reading this book, though slightly less than I enjoyed Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting. It is a book very much in the same 'vein' as that one. Some of the thigns in the book were very nice to read, a few times I wasn't sure exactly what was meant. This one seemed slightly more spiritual on occasion than the other book.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. It was a bit harder to read it, because my copy is falling apart, the glue has let go. The spelling errors were the same ones as in Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting but it's just a minor error of no comma where I believe there should have been one.

David Baird - Duizend Wegen: Duizend Wegen Naar Liefde (Thousand Paths: A Thousand Paths to Love)

1001004001816509.jpg

(note: the book is actually dark red, and not pink like in this photo. It couldn't find a better one, though).

Date read: 29-04-2015 <-> 30-04-2015

ISBN: 9789045300214

Synopsis (me): This book offers 1000 inspiring thoughts on love.

My thoughts:

I was given this book or I bought it after enjoying Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting. I read it now after re-reading that one and after reading Duizend Wegen Naar Rust (as that's the order I once made in the books).

This book is similar in design as the othe rbooks in this series. It contains eight chapters and an introduction. One chapter contains quotes of famous people. The colours of the backgrounds and illustrations, and font colours are similar as in the other books in the series. My copy is falling apart a bit, some of the glue has let go. When I first got this book I was with my ex. Back then I read bits of the book but I didn't read it fully. I think I got the back in 2004, when it was published (the Dutch edition). This was the year I graduated from secondary school and started studying at university. I've been with my boyfriend for many years now, and it was nice to read this book.

Anyway, the book was nice to read. It made me feel love for my loved ones, it made me feel emotional. It has the same errors as the other two books. That said, it seems to happen more often in other media as well, so maybe the rule has changed to fit in with what other languages do? I don't know.

One thing that I found slightly bothersome in this book, was that a few times it repeated things from earlier int he book, or at least said something very similar, on a couple of occasions (enough to make me notice, anyway). I enjoyed reading the book otherwise, though.

Overall I enjoyed reading the book. It was a shame about the double or very similar entries, but the book contained some nice thoughts about love. I also liked that the chapter on 'godly love' wasn't too preachy.

David Baird - Duizend Wegen: Duizend Wegen Naar Wijsheid (Thousand Paths: A Thousand Paths to Wisdom)

1001004001571455.jpg

Date read: 30-04-2015

ISBN: 9789055019274

Synopsis (me): This book offers 1000 inspiring thoughts on wisdom.

My thoughts:

I was given this book or I bought it after enjoying Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting. I read it now that I'm reading all the books in this series that I own. My copy is falling apart a bit (I think about four or five out of the six books I own in this series, are falling apart a bit, all in the same way).

Similar things that I said about the other books, also apply here. The design is similar, with similar type colours and illustrations used. This book contains nine chapters and an introduction. Two chapters contain quotes from famous people and famous quotes. One chapter contains proverbs (I believe this is the correct translation for the Dutch 'spreekwoorden'). What was unfortunate (aside from the minor spelling errors, as in the previous books), was that a couple of times the book contained double entries. Once the same thing was repeated three pages later. Otherwise I enjoyed reading the book.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. It was a shame about the double entries though.

David Baird - Duizend Wegen: Duizend Wegen Naar Geluk (Thousand Paths: A Thousand Paths to Happiness)

16046353.jpg

ISBN: 9789055019281

Synopsis (me): This book offers 1000 inspiring thoughts on happiness.

My thoughts:

I was given this book or bought it after enjoying Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting. I decided to read it now that I'm reading all six books in the series that I own. My copy of this book is only slightly falling apart.

This book was similar in design and layout as the other books. It has eight chapters and an introduction. One chapter contains quotes from famous people and famous quotes. I liked this book better than most of the other ones, I liked it as much as Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting. There were some really good entries in this book and I really liked reading it. It made me feel hopeful.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book, I enjoyed it more than Duizend Wegen Naar Rust, Duizend Wegen Naar Liefde and Duizend Wegen Naar Wijsheid. I liked it as much as Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting. I have one book of the series left to read, but it's written by a different author.

Michael Powell - Duizend Wegen: Duizend Wegen Naar Vrijgevigheid (Thousand Paths: A Thousand Paths to Generosity)

23306262.jpg

ISBN: 9789045302751

Synopsis (me): This book offers 1000 inspiring thoughts on generosity.

My thoughts:

I was given this book after liking Duizend Wegen Naar Verlichting. I read it after recently reading the five other books in the series, that I own. I left this one for last, because it's written by a different author.

The book has a similar design as the other five books I read. The book contains eight chapters and an introduction. It has a different author than the other five books. Thre were a double of double entries in this book. The book mentioned religion a bit more than the other books did (I wasn't too keen on that in this book).

I liked reading the book for the most part. On a few occasions I found I didn't totally agree with some of the entries and it annoyed me what the book was saying, on occasion. The book contains some spelling / typing errors.

Overall then I liked the book but not as much as I liked the other books in the series (written by David Baird).

Ann M. Martin - De Babysitters Club 32: Gertie en het Geheim van Sandra (Kristy and the Secret of Susan) (re-read)

666796183.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Children, Young-Adult

Pages: 123

Date read: 01-05-2015

ISBN: 9789024346264

Synopsis (me): Kristy has to look after an autistic girl.

My thoughts:

For the previous read-a-thon I read books 30 and 31 in this series. The next English one I have to read is 33, so I thought I'd re-read the Dutch book 32, to keep up with the story (since last time re-reading the Dutch book 30 was really nice).

This is one of my favourite book series from my childhood. This story is about Gertie / Kristy who is babysitting a girl with severe autism. I quite liked re-reading this book, it was really nostalgic to re-read another Dutch one. I likde the writing sytle and the characters. One thing I should say, that is, when this book was originally written, in 1990, not as much was known about autism. The book does explain a few things, but there was a lot still unknown at the time (the book mentions this). Either way, I did like the character of Sandra / Susan. It was different reading the book now, being an adult and having read and learned a lot about autism, and myself, compared to when I read this book when I was a child and younger teenager.

Overall I really enjoyed re-reading this book. If I'm honest, I'm enjoying re-reading the Dutch books even more than reading the English ones (because of the nostalgia factor). I look forward though, to read the English ones of which there were never any Dutch translations, in particular.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Edited by Athena

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 33: Claudia and the Great Search (re-read)

1206458.jpg

Pages: 131

Date read: 01-05-2015

ISBN: 9780590551311

Synopsis (me): Claudia wonders if she has been adopted.

My thoughts:

After re-reading book 32, I went on to read book 33 in this series (this time the English book).

It was really nice to re-read this book. I found the story quite enjoyable and I really like the characters and the writing style. It is nostalgia to read these books again (even if reading the original English version for the first time isn't quite like re-reading the Dutch translation I've read many times).

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. I do love this series.

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club Super Special 2: Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (re-read)

17983599.jpg

Format: Kindle

Pages: 231

Date read: 01-05-2015 <-> 02-05-2015

ISBN: N/A

Synopsis (me): The babysitters all go to Camp Mohawk.

My thoughts:

After reading books 32 (Dutch) and 33 (English) for this read-a-thon, I then read this Super Special (since for the previous read-a-thon I read books 30 and 31 and the first Super Special). I have read this book before in Dutch (I have an omnibus of the first two Super Specials), but not as often as the 'main' series books (up to ~60-66). I think this is because I didn't see this book available until I found an ex-library copy. I was getting older by this time and there weren't many new translations released anymore, somehow they stopped with that, so I didn't re-read this book as often as the earlier books.

I enjoyed reading this book. I only remembered a few bits from previously reading the Dutch book. Each chapter is written from a different character's point of view. It was great all the BSC members were in the camp, and it was nice to read a few chapters from Logan's point of view too. Each chapter begins with a postcard with writing on it. Unfortunately, in this Kindle edition the writing on the postcard was sometimes too small to read.

I really liked the various storylines and the characters were interesting. There were a lot of names / characters to keep track of, though not all of them were as important. I struggled a little bit in the beginning with the various camp terms, like CIT, counselors and campers. It was great though to read this book.

We don't really have many camps like this in the Netherlands, that I know of, on that scale (so big, so many people). It would definitely be not my thing. But anyway, because I didn't remember a whole lot about previously reading and re-reading the book, it was almost as if I was reading a new adventure, and that was quite nice as well.

Overall then I quite enjoyed re-reading this book. I didn't remember a lot of the Dutch version, but either way I really enjoyed reading the story. The characters were nice, I liked the writing style and it was interesting to read about the main characters' experience in this camp they all went to. It would not be for me, but I found the book an enjoyable (re)read.

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 35: De Cock en Danse Macabre

3846676.jpg

Genre: Detective

Format: Hardback (Ex-Library Copy)

Pages: 133

Date read: 02-05-2015

ISBN: 9789026104275

Synopsis (me): A collection of antiques is missing, its owner died from natural causes a little while ago. But then another antique collection of someone else goes missing.

My thoughts:

For the read-a-thons in the past while, I've been reading the De Waal & Baantjer books (before then some Baantjer / De Cock books). However, since I've now read all those that have been published, I decided to read the next Baantjer (De Cock) book I own, for this read-a-thon.

This book was very good. It had beena while since I read a Baantjer / De Cock book. The writing style is slightly different from the De Waal & Baantjer books (since the later ones were written by Simon de Waal). but not so different that I'm 100% sure I could tell the two apart if I wasn't sure which one was what, exactly. The two book series are different but also contain a lot of similarities.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the writing style and the characters. The plot had quite a few unexpected twists and I enjoyed the story. It was great to read the descriptions of Amsterdam and of police work in the time the book was written (it was first published in 1991). The book was quite suspenseful.

In the first chapter, De Cock mentions the director of De Fontein in Baarn, which is the publisher of the book series (including this one), and how this director talked with De Cock and writing and publishing De Cock's memoirs. I thought this was a nice fourth wall breaking scene.

Overall then I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a clever case adn the story had some great unexpected plot twists. I also liked the writing style. It made me want to read a lot more Baantjer books. I still own a few I haven't read yet. My sister also owns a few I could borrow. The library has some as well, though of course they don't always have all of them available for loan.

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 5 (re-read)

6a328510-0f25-012f-b0d6-0050569439b1.jpg

Genre: Disney

Age-range: Children

Pages: 510

Date read: 02-05-2015

ISBN: 9054284498

Synopsis (me): Comic stories of Donald Duck and his friends.

My thoughts:

I will briefly describe each story below.

Superdonald en het Valse Spiegelbeeld

This story is about Superdonald, Zwarte Magicka and Oom Dagobert. I really enjoyed reading it and quite liked the characters.

Indiana Goofy en de Macht van de Zeven Noten

This was a very enjoyable story about Indiana Goofy and Music. I liked it a lot, it was very good and it was suspenseful too.

De Zoektocht naar de Virtuele Duck

This was a very enjoyable story. It featured two alien races that also made an appearance in an earlier Dubbel Pocket (and it also features Donald and Dagobert). I really liked the story, I really like these aliens and the way they are drawn.

Goofy en het Monster dat uit de Lucht Kwam Vallen

This was an enjoyable story about Goofy and a sweet monster.

Donald Duck en de Invasie van Jupiter

This story continues where De Zoektocht naar de Virtuele Duck left off (though that one did end). It was very enjoyable to read this story. I do really like all these characters, they are funny too.

Mickey Mouse - Dreigende Wolken Boven de Stad

This was an enjoyable story about Mickey and Goofy, they have to save the city. It was suspenseful and enjoyable.

Oom Dagobert en de Schat van Mercurius

This was an enjoyable story about Donald and Dagobert. I quite liked reading it, it was suspenseful.

Donald, Mijn Held!

This was an enjoyable story about Donald and a little girl. It was very nice to read.

Mickey Mouse en de Films die Werkelijkheid Werden

This was an enjoyable story about Mickey and Goofy and burglaries. It was quite suspenseful and I liked reading it.

Donald Duck en het Vierde Neefje

This was aan enjoyable story about Donald, the nephews and a fourth nephew. I really enjoyed reading it, it was very good.

Oom Dagobert en het Cyclopengeld

This is an enjoyable story about Oom Dagobert, Donald, the nephews and cyclops money. I liked it a lot.

Overall I quite enjoyed re-reading this book. There were some great stories in this book.

Overall Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Jodi Picoult - The Color War

18904459.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Format: Kindle

Pages: ~34

Date read: 03-05-2015

ISBN: N/A

Synopsis (GoodReads): All Raymond wants to do is hang out with his best friend, Monroe, but life has other plans. This summer, his mother has decided to send him to Bible camp for inner-city kids. On the bus there, he dreams of the best night of his life, when he and Monroe slipped away from home and jumped the turnstiles to ride the subway to downtown Boston on New Year’s Eve. The elaborate ice sculptures on display thrilled them, especially an angel with outstretched wings that glowed ghostly in the night. Raymond wakes on the bus to what he takes for another angel: Melody, a camp counselor and lifeguard. Like all the staff, she’s white. Pretty, blond, and friendly, she’s the person Raymond most wants to impress during the Color War, the camp’s sports competition, and to whom he confesses his most painful secret, a loss that has made him grow up far too fast and left him wise beyond his mere nine years.

Will Raymond manage to connect to Melody—or anyone—when he’s so far from what he’s known and loved? Or will he discover that sometimes the road to hell is paved with good intentions? A searing look at race and what it means to survive our own color wars.

My thoughts:

I bought this book because Jodi Picoult is one of my favourite contemporary fiction authors. My friend Anna said she was going to read it during this read-a-thon, so I thought I'd join her and read the story during the read-a-thon too.

This was a nice story about a nine-year-old buy who goes to a religious summer camp. The boy has a dark skin colour and this is important throughout the book, he feels inferior to "white" people. The story contains a couple of flashbacks. I liked the characters and the plot twists. I wished the story had been longer as I found the ending too abrupt, I was hoping for more of a conclusion. I quite liked the depth of the story and how Jodi Picoult treated the various themes with respect.

The writing style did seem different from the full-length novels I've read by the author. The sentences seemed shorter for example. The story is told from Raymond's point of view (he's the main character), so perhaps the shorter sentences and different language used compared with the full-length novels (which usually involve adults) make more sense because of that, to express the viewpoint of a child.

I found Raymond an interesting character, and the other characters were interesting too. It was interesting to read about the religious summer camp, after just re-reading Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club Super Special 2: Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation, which was also about a summer camp (though not a religious one). It was a nice coincidence, as I didn't rememebr before making my read-a-thon plan, what both books were about exactly (and with both of them being Kindle reads, I couldn't easily read 'the back of the books', it takes a bit more effort to look up the synopsis compared with most paperbooks.)

Overall then I enjoyed reading this short story. There was a lot I liked about it. I did find the ending a bit of a letdown and I wanted the story to continue beyond it. I liked the characters, writing style was okay, and I liked the plot twists. This short story then wasn't as good (in my opinion) as my favourites of the author's full-length novels, but it was an enjoyable read. I look forward to read more books by the author this year (as it's one of my aims to do so).

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 30: Vier Knagers in het Wilde Westen (Quattro Topi Nel Far West)

1001004005749583.jpg

Genre: Historical Fiction

Format: Hardback (Library Loan)

ISBN: 9789085920489

Synopsis (me): Geronimo and his family to go the Far West to help out a town that's being treatened by bandits.

My thoughts:

For the past few moths for the read-a-thons I've borrowed whichever Stilton books (that I hadn't read yet) the library had available. This time there weren't that many, unfortunately. This book was one of them (gladly, there were still three for me to borrow).

This story largely takes place in the Far West / Wild West, Arizona. I found it an enjoyable story. It was also educational, teaching children about the history of that region and about that time period.

I liked the illustrations amd the story was entertaining. A few things were a bit cliche but I quite enjoyed the story anyway.

Joe Carrot - Joe Carrot 2: De Vuurpijl (La Freccia Di Fuoco)

25011636.jpg

ISBN: 9789085920939

Synopsis (me): Joe Carrot is asked to find out who sabotages a race car in the Grand Prix.

My thoughts:

I'd never checked the library before for the Joe Carrot book. They're written by the same team as the Stilton books. When there was only one Stilton book available (that I hadn't read yet), I decided to look for this series. I found books 2 and 3, so of course I read book 2 first.

I had not read a Joe Carrot book before, I found it enjoyable. Joe is a rabbi, and a detective and he is asked to find out who sabotages a race car in the Grand Prix / Formula 1. I liked the story and the illustrations. I also liked the characters and the plot twists. It was an enjoyable read.

Joe Carrot - Joe Carrot 3: De Ongrijpbare Rode Klauw (Il Mistero Di Artiglio Rosso)

25011644.jpg

ISBN: 9789085921196

Synopsis (me): Jo, Joe Carrot's wife, participates in a bicycle race. Someone tries to steal her bicycle. Joe tries to find out who.

My thoughts:

I borrowed books 2 and 3 in this series from the library (it was all they had). After reading book 2, I went on to read book 3 (they are standalone stories so it doesn't matter too much about missing out on book 1).

This was an enjoyable story. This time it was not about car racing, but about bicycle racing. I liked the story and the illustrations. A few bits I ugessed but some twists were unexpected and I didn't see them coming, personally (though in hindsight they do make a lot of sense).

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book, and when it's almost time for the next read-a-thon, I'll be sure to try and find more books in this series (that I haven't read yet) at the library. I'm not sure how many were made, 5 according to the internet.