Esther Verhoef - Nouveau Riche & Andere Spannende Verhalen

11922707.jpg

Genre: Literature, Thriller

Age-range: Adult

Format: Hardback (Ex-library copy)

Pages: 128

Date read: 05-04-2015

ISBN: 9789041417671

Synopsis (me): This is a short story collection containing four stories, about a first date, about a meeting in France, about plastic surgery and about love.

My thoughts:

I recently bought this collection of short stories when I saw it at the library for sale. I've read another book by the author previously and I enjoyed that one, and I have a few other books by the author on my TBR. I decided to read this short story collection for the read-a-thon. Below are some thoughts on each short story.

Worst Case Scenario

This is a very suspenseful story about a first date. I really liked the writing style and the characters were interesting. There were several good plot twists I wasn't expecting.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Nouveau Riche

This was a suspenseful story about four friends (two couples) meeting each other in the south of France. It was very enjoyable and had plenty of plot twists I wasn't expecting. I liked the characters and the writing style. The descriptions were very nice. Overall I would say this was my favourite short story of this collection (it was also the longest).

De Perfecte Partner

This was a short story about a woman and plastic surgery. It was suspenseful and interesting, I enjoyed reading it.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

De Ontmoeting

This was a nice story about love. It was interesting and enjoyable.

Overall then I liked these four short stories. They vary in length. I liked two of the stories more than the other two. I really liked the writing style of the author and I enjoyed reading this book.

Overall Rating: (*****) (9/10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 13: Kaas Op Wielen (Un Camper Color Formaggio)

2851121.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback (Library Loan)

ISBN: 9789085920113

Synopsis (me): Geronimo Stilton goes on a little trip with his family.

Synopsis (GoodReads, for the English version): My grandfather William Shortpaws -- also known as Cheap Mouse Willy -- was back at The Rodent's Gazette, and he was determined to torture me. He wanted to publish a guide book to Ratzikistan, the Siberia of Mouse Island. And he ordered *me* to go there to write it! But as you know, dear reader, I HATE TRAVELING!

My thoughts:

It was the read-a-thon, so I borrowed some books from the library for this. Which Stilton books I borrow exactly, mainly depends on what they have available and which ones I haven't read yet. This was one of the ones I borrowed.

This was an enjoyable story about Geronimo and a few family members going on atrop to "Muisbekistan" (another country). It was an enjoyable story and I liked the illustrations. Also, a vehicle with cheese print!

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 52: De Schat van de Spookpiraat (Il Tesoro del Pirata Fantasma)

boekstra_9789085921929_front.jpg

Genre: Detective

ISBN: 9789085921929

Synopsis (me, for the Dutch edition): This is a story about a pirate's treasure. And who is digging holes in Floris' garden?

My thoughts:

It was the read-a-thon, so I borrowed some Stilton books from the library.

This was a nice story about a pirate's treasure. It was a story within a story, so there's the outside layer with Geronimo, where he receives the newest story by 'Duifje Duistermuis'. Most of the book is this story, about the pirate's treasure. I liked the illustrations and the story was enjoayble.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 63: De Verloren Vampier (Un Vampiro Da Salvare!)

21544021.jpg

Genre: Horror, Paranormal

ISBN: 9789085922384

Synopsis (me): A vampire is being haunted in his own castle, so Duifje and her family go and investigate...

My thoughts:

This was one of the Stilton books I borrowed from the library. What I borrow, really depends on what they have available. They have a big collection, but most of the time, there is only part of that available. This book has won or was nominated for the 'Nationale Kinderjury 2014', according to the sticker on the book cover (the library sticks these on, so children know which books they can pick from when they vote).

This was again a story within a story, like in book 52 which was my previous read before this book. Interestingly, one of the characters that was important in that book is also in this book (aside from of course Geronimo, Duifje, etc.). This was a nice story about a vampire who is being haunted in his own castle. I liked the illustrations and the story was enjoyable. I also liked the 'monsters' characters / creatures, they were quite creative I thought.

Geronimo Stilton - De Oerknagers 1: Wie Heeft de Vuursteen Gestolen? (Via Le Zampe Dalla Pietra Di Fuoco!)

22053258.jpg

Genre: Historical Fiction

ISBN: 9789085921776

Synopsis (me): This is an adventure in the Stone Age. Someone has stolen the 'fire rock'! Where is it and who took it, and why?

My thoughts:

I borrowed this book from the library. I didn't know this series existed and I hadn't read any books of it yet, so I was pleased to find it.

This story takes place in the Stone Age. The characters are ancestors of Geronimo Stilton. They are really though very much based on him and his family with slightly different names and of course different outfits. The story was enjoyable and suspenseful and I liked the illustrations.

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 4: Klaar voor de Start! De Oerlympische Spelen (Per Mille Ossicini, Vai Col Brontosauro!)

(I can't find a cover with an extension that I'm allowed to use on BCF)

ISBN: 9789085922223

Synopsis (me): It's time again for the 'Oerlympic Games'. The tigers beg to participate if they promise to not eat any mice. But then the tigers' flag gets stolen and they demand it to be back soon or they will start eating mice!

My thoughts:

I saw this book and book 1 in this series at the library. I hadn't heard of the series before and I borrowed them, to read during this read-a-thon.

This was an enjoyable story about a competition, a bit like the Olympic Games. When a flag gets stolen, things go wrong. I liked the illustrations. The story contains plenty of action and it was enjoyable to read.

ISBN: 9789085922223

Synopsis (me): It's time again for the 'Oerlympic Games'. The tigers beg to participate if they promise to not eat any mice. But then the tigers' flag gets stolen and they demand it to be back soon or they will start eating mice!

My thoughts:

I saw this book and book 1 in this series at the library. I hadn't heard of the series before and I borrowed them, to read during this read-a-thon.

This was an enjoyable story about a competition, a bit like the Olympic Games. When a flag gets stolen, things go wrong. I liked the illustrations. The story contains plenty of action and it was enjoyable to read.

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 9: New York in Rep en Roer (Grosso Guaio A New York)

22677261.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Detective

Pages: 224

ISBN: 9789085921554

Synopsis (GoodReads, for the English edition): The Thea Sisters are off to New York City for another fabumouse adventure! Nicky has been training to run the Big Apple Marathon, and her friends are there to support her. While in the city, they all visit Pamela's family and have a delicious dinner at the family's pizzeria. But the mouselings discover that someone has been threatening to burn the restaurant down, and Pam's family might have to close it for good to stay safe! Will the Thea Sisters catch the troublemaker before it's too late?

My thoughts:

This was the one Thea Stilton book the library had available, and luckily I hadn't read this one yet, so I did so for this read-a-thon.

This story was very enjoyable. The five Thea Sisters travel to New York because Nicky is going to run the marathon there. There is a mystery going on to do with Pamela's family's pizzeria (her family lives in New York).

I liked the story. There were some Halloween bits too, which was nice. The mystery wasn't too hard to figure out fro an adult but it was enjoyable to read about. I liked the characters and the illustrations. The story is suspenseful and I wanted to keep on reading.

It was great to learn more about New York. Throughout the story and also in the extras at the end of the story part of the book, there is information about the city.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting, educational and enjoyable.

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 5: Fantasia V (Quinto Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

12803879.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 384

ISBN: 9789054616412

Synopsis (me): The kingdom of Fantasia is in danger again. There have been a lot of earthquakes lately, and they are destroying everything! What is causing them? Also, Gaja, the sister of Florina, has been kidnapped.

My thoughts:

When I saw this book at the library, I jumped at the chance to read it. The Fantasia books are often loaned out, they are very popular (as are most of the Stilton books to be honest).

It had been a little while since I read a Fantasia book. I've previously read books 1, 2, 6 and 7. I really enjoyed books 1, 2 and 7, and I liked 6 too just slightly less than the other three.

'

This one was very enjoyable. I really liked the characters. One is named Gaja (my name is Gaia), which I particularly liked (of course). The illustrations are beautiful and there are good plot twists in the story. I also loved the extras at the end, about "Talking Books" among other things.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book.

Liz Pichon - Tom Groot 4.5: Tom Groot Leest Zich Suf (Niet Dus) (Tom Gates 4.5: Best Book Day Ever!)

9789025757748_fcovr.jpg

Pages: 96

ISBN: 9789025757748

Synopsis (GoodReads): It’s BOOK WEEK in Oakfield school and EVERYONE is very excited. Including all the teachers, who are making costumes of their own. Mr Keen says there’s an EXCELLENT prize on offer for BEST costumes worn on BOOK DAY. So suddenly making a good costume is VITALLY important – but tricky. Delia’s not much help (as usual) and the Fossils get carried away with the dressing up box. Marcus decides that HE is a super hero and can’t understand why ‘Super Marcus’ isn’t the best name.

My thoughts:

When I saw this book at the library, I borrowed it and read it during the read-a-thon. I've previously read books 3, 4 and 2 (in that order) in this series, in English, and I really enjoyed those full length books.

This was an enjoyable story, originally it was written in the honour of World Book Day I believe. I liked the theme of books in this book. I liked the characters and the illustrations were very nice. The story was enjoyable, I just wish it had been longer since I liked it. It seemed over too soon!

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book, though not as much as I enjoyed the full length novels. I think the translation takes away a little bit from the original, though it could also be because I'm not used to reading the translation of this series. I wis the book had been a bit longer and had had more detail and depth. It was enjoyable to read though, I liked it a lot.

Chris Mould - Vreselijk Vreemde Verhalen 1: De Getijdenbrug (Something Wickedly Weird 1: The Wooden Mile)

9200000002145069.jpg

Genre: Horror, Paranormal

Pages: 186

ISBN: 9789078345121

Synopsis (GoodReads): Something Wickedly Weird is most definitely here! Crampton Rock seems like a lovely seaside town…at least until dark. When eleven-year-old Stanley Buggles inherits a house from a mysterious uncle he didn’t know he had, he also inherits a mystery and some strange and sinister new neighbors. The questions begin to pile up: Why are all the dogs in town three-legged? Why is no one on the streets after dark? Is it true that the man who runs the candy shop is a werewolf? And why do those shoemakers look an awful lot like pirates? With the help of Mrs. Carelli, a housekeeper, and a talking stuffed fish, Stanley begins to unravel the mysteries that haunt his great-uncle’s death and have set their sights on him. A thrilling, spooky, and funny read, and the first installment of a kid-pleasing new series.

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library and the style of the illustrations struck my interest. The book sounded enjoyable based on the synopsis so I borrowed it and read it for this read-a-thon.

The author of this story has won the Notthingham Children's Book Award and he was nominated for the Sheffieldprize.

This was a very enjoyable story. I liked the characters. Several of them spoke with an accent, gladly though I was able to follow this (though at a slower pace than 'usual' text) because I read the Dutch translation. I think I would've had real trouble with it if I had read the original English book instead.

I liked the illustrations in the book and the story had several good plot twists that I didn't see coming. It as suspenseful and I wanted to keep on reading it. It was scary, too.

Overall I qutie enjoyed reading this book. The story does have an ending gladly, I was afraid it might have been 'to be continued...', but then in Dutch (we say 'wordt vervolgd...'). I would like to read the next book as well (and any further books if they exist), though preferably in Dutch because of the accents. That doesn't often happen, usually I prefer the original English versions. Anyway, it speaks of the book that a few days after finishing it, it is one of the read-a-thon reads that is most stuck in my head and that I keep thinking about.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Dee Shulman - Mijn Supergeheime Dagboek: Op het Toneel in Amerika (Polly Price's Totally Secret Diary: On Stage in America)

1001004006442098.jpg

Date read: 06-04-2015

ISBN: 9789048801557

Synopsis (GoodReads): Polly Price is so embarrassed by her actor mother, who loves to draw attention to herself and hog the limelight. Now Polly's worst nightmare has come true as her mother heads to America to appear in a play and Polly has to go with her! Not only that, but she's forced to hang around with the young stars of the show, who aren't exactly lining up to be her friends. Read Polly's wonderfully funny diary as she records the mishaps and mayhem backstage, before all of a sudden the spotlight is on her!

My thoughts:

I previously read and enjoyed the Dutch translation of Reality TV Nightmare, so when I saw this book at the library, another one in the series, I looked forward to reading it. I'm unsure of the numbering of this series, and a quick search doesn't reveal this. I would have to look at the original publication years of the books, but anyway, they are allright enough standalone stories so that's okay. I think this one comes after the one I own (the reality-tv one).

I quite enjoyed reading this book. I really liked the illustrations. The characters were very itneresting and the story has some funny moments. I liked the plot twists and I really enjoyed reading this book.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book, and hope to read the other book(s) in this series too some time (that I haven't read yet).

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 1: Tales From a Not-So-Fabulous Life

6054449.jpg

Pages: 282 (excluding excerpt of the next book in the series)

ISBN: 9781416980063

Synopsis (GoodReads): Meet Nikki Maxwell! She's starting eighth grade at a new school—and her very first diary packed with hilarious stories and art in Book One of the #1 New York Times bestselling Dork Diaries series!

New school. New mean girl. New crush. New diary so I can spill about all of it…

I put a lot of really personal stuff in this diary along with my sketches and doodles.

But, mostly it’s about how TRAUMATIC it was transferring to my new private middle school, Westchester Country Day.

And, how a lot of the CCP (Cool, Cute & Popular) kids were really SNOBBY and made my life TOTALLY miserable. People like, oh, I don’t know, maybe…

MACKENZIE HOLLISTER!!

And, it just so happened that I got stuck with a locker right next to hers. I could NOT believe I had such CRAPPY luck. I knew right then and there it was going to be a VERY, VERY long school year :-( !

My thoughts:

I've previously read and enjoyed books 3, 4 and 6 of this series. When I saw book 1 at the library, I didn't hesitate and borrowed it. I thought it would make for great read-a-thon material.

This was an enjoyable story (I've written that a lot in these read-a-thon reads reviews, I haven't I..). It was great to read the first book in the series. I liked the characters. I also liked the plot twists and illustrations. I liked the small focus on books. They weren't mentioned much in books 3, 4 and 6, but it was nice to have it in here. I found the book quite enjoyable to read.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book and I hope to read books 2, 5, etc. some time as well.

Lauren Child - Klaartje Boon 6: Klaartje Boon Spelt P.R.O.B.L.E.M.E.N (Clarice Bean 6: Clarice Bean Spells Trouble)

17156327.jpg

Pages: 168

ISBN: 9789000036554

Synopsis (GoodReads): There are so many things you can not explain. Like why isn't YOU spelled U? And why opening your mouth can get you into some very big trouble.

Clarice Bean is in nonstop trouble these days- almost as much as Karl Wrenbury, and he is the naughtiest boy in school.

Someone who is very good at getting out OUT of trouble is RUBY REDFORT, a girl detective on TV. Clarice would love to be famous on TV. She says, " am really daydreaming about how when we have our school play who spots children for being talents.You see, if I was a cild star, then I would not have to be in Mrs. Wilderton's stupid spelling bee. "I am not a good speller, and not a good speller can get you into all sorts of trouble...."

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library and borrowed it because it looked like a fun read for the read-a-thon.

This was an allright story. I liked the illustrations, the characters and the plot twists. The writing style was okay, but not that great to be honest, it didn't read that easily or flow well sometimes. It might have been because I read the Dutch translation, the original English version might have a better writing style or read more easily. There were quite a few plot twists in the story and overall I found the book enjoyable but not brilliant.

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Sabine Zett - Hugo 2: Hugo's Masterplan (Dutch)

9200000014669925.jpg

Pages: 168

ISBN: 9789025112455

Synopsis (me): Hugo has to have obligatory extra lessons from a girl his age whom he doesn't like. What to do? And what's going on with the new teacher?

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library, as well as book 3 in the series, and thought they looked like fun reads for the read-a-thon. This is originally a German book, I read the Dutch translation.

This was a nice story and I quite liked the writing style. I didn't really like the main character at first, he seemed to be a bit unwise. It did make sense for his age though, just very different from me and therefore I found it a bit harder to relate to him at first. I liked him more later on in the book though as I started to understand his way of thinking better.

The book had some funny moments, I particularly liked one specific story line a lot.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book, and at the time of writing my notes I looked forward to read book 3. Now I can say I look forward to read book 1 (since I have read book 3) and also any further books if they exist.

Sabine Zett - Hugo 3: Hugo Fikst Het (Hugo Hebt Ab!)

9789025112554_fcovr.jpg

Pages: 167

ISBN: 9789025112554

Synopsis (me): What's up with those two girls hiding near Nick's house? And why are Nick and Hugo suddenly being seen as cool?

My thoughts:

After finishing book 2, I straight away started book 3. I borrowed both of them from the library, they seemed like fun read-a-thon reads.

The book contains a few references of what happened in books 1 and 2 (like book 2 contained a few references of what happened in book 1). However I feel the books can easily be read without having read the previous books.

This was an enjoyable book. Similar things that I said about book 2, apply to book 3 (with the exception of Hugo's character as I knew him better when I started book 3). I quite liked the writing style. There were a few occasions where I couldn't totally identify with the main character, personally, though I did find his viewpoints logical when I compare it to some other people's lives. The other characters were okay too.

I enjoyed the story. There were some funny moments. I laughed out loud once which I don't often do when reading a book. There were some nice plot twists.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. I hope to read book 1 some time (and book 4 and on, if they exist or are being written). I presume the library has book 1, since they had books 2 and 3. I don't know if there are any more in the series, perhaps so. Because the books are originally German, the (American?) site GoodReads doesn't have much information on them (which is where I normally look to find information about book series).

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 1: Hoe Overleef Ik Mijn Vakantie?

7665657.jpg

Pages: 103

ISBN: 9789026995590

Synopsis (me): Jonas and Rosa are on holidays on Corsica with their parents. But they are both bored, so they go on an adventure on their own.

My thoughts:

I've been meaning to find books 1-4 in this series, and 9, since those are the five I haven't read yet (out of 13 in total). I hadn't been able to find them yet, but by pure accident I found this one, in a different age range. I hadn't thought of it that the library might split up the series depending on the age range, though it does make sense when I think about it more.

This book was allright but it wasn't what I was expecting. It wasn't really like the later books in the series.

It is an enjoyable, suspenseful 'survival-like' story. It's about half the length of the later books in the series. There were good tips in it about 'surviving in the wild'. It really wouldn't be my thing :blush2:.

The book was enjoyable and suspenseful but I missed the depth of the later books. There were no emails (well, the book was written in 1998, so that makes a bit of sense) and no deeper discussions on life's problems other than the survival adventure.

I think if I had read this one first (I'm sure I have seen it at the library on one of the first few times I went there as a new member), I might not have read the later ones. As it is, I really liked the later ones and I still look forward to at least read book 9 (I read books 5-13 except 9), and I'd be curious to see what books 2-4 are like. Because if they are more like book 5 I'd really like to read them.

On its own, this is a suspenseful book. I was just feeling let down because it wasn't what I was expecting based on the later books. The book was mainly the adventure the characters have. There weren't any emails or deep conversations between the characters. Nothing much is resolved in the end in their personal lives like in the later books.

Overall then this book was suspenseful but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as if I hadn't had the wrong expectations. I would've enjoyed it more if I had known better what to expect from it.

Rating: (***) (6/10)

Francine Oomen - Ezzie 1: Ezzie's Dagboek

(I can't find a cover image with an extension I'm allowed to use on the forum)

(I'm reading the omnibus edition, called Dit is Ezzie!, so this cover is for the omnibus edition)

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 109

ISBN: 9789045114781 (for the omnibus edition)

Synopsis (me): This book is about Ezzie, one of the characters in the Hoe Overleef Ik... (or HOI) books. This is a year of diary entries in her life, and what happens in it.

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library and since I really enjoyed the later HOI books (Hoe Overleef Ik), I really wanted to read this book. The main character in this book is Ezzie (Esther), who is one of the characters from the HOI books. This book is in diary form and it describes one year, from January until December. The diary entries are generally short, two pages is about the maximum that they are. There is the printed text (on lined pages), and around it there are illustrations, photos and sometimes text that looks like it's handwritten.

This was an enjoyable story. It takes place during some of the later HOI books, though it's mainly about Ezzie and not much about any of the other characters from that series. The writing style is different than in the HOI books, but also enjoyable tor ead. I liked the characters in the book. The story has several nice plot twists. I quite liked the illustrations and how the pages in the book looked with the photos and illustrations etc. (in colour).

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book and in my notes I said I will continue with the next book in this omnibus (which I have read now that I'm writing this review).

Francine Oomen - Ezzie 2: Ezzie's Wereld

(I can't find a cover image with an extension I'm allowed to use on the forum)

(I'm reading the omnibus edition, called Dit is Ezzie!, so this cover is for the omnibus edition)

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 111

ISBN: 9789045114781 (for the omnibus edition)

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's part of a series).

My thoughts:

After finishing book 1 in this omnibus, I went on to read book 2. The diary begins in April (so a couple of months is between the previous book and this one), and ends in June the year after it.

This was an enjoyable book. I liked the brief mentions of a couple of books that Ezzie reads. The story continues from book 1 (though I think you could read both seperately too, possibly). The same things I said about book 1, apply to book 2. I liked the characters, the plot twists, the writing style, the way the pages looked with the illustrations etc (it is a little bit chaotic, I wouldn't want all the books I read to look like that, but it was a refreshning change and I enjoyed looking at it and reading the text).

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. It was nice to learn more about Ezzie and her life.

Once again I'm gobsmacked by how many books you manage to read! :thud::o

Glad you found the Simon's Cat book entertaining, even though you're more of a dog person! I have a Simon's Cat wall calendar that my mum bought me for Christmas (since I'm a crazy cat lady), and I LOVE the videos on Youtube - they're so accurate and funny. :D

(I can't find a cover with an extension that I'm allowed to use on BCF)

I hate it when this happens! Whenever it happens to me, I save the image onto my computer, then upload it to my Facebook and copy & paste it into the blog. It normally works then. :)

I never really noticed this until now, but do you tend to read more books in your native language during read-a-thons because you can read easier? Or is it just a coincidence? How different is it to read in your native language compared to English?

Sorry for all the questions....I'm just really curious because my first language is English so I don't really have that problem. I can barely speak another language. 

I never really noticed this until now, but do you tend to read more books in your native language during read-a-thons because you can read easier? Or is it just a coincidence? How different is it to read in your native language compared to English?

Sorry for all the questions....I'm just really curious because my first language is English so I don't really have that problem. I can barely speak another language. 

I know, right?  She can read Flemish as well!  :o  :smile: