Schultz Reading 2015

BSchultz19

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I look forward to see the photo of your school bookshelf, does it contain textbooks or literary works, or maybe both?

The shelf part of the desk is all literary books. Then on the desk part I have textbooks. They wouldn't all fit on one shelf obviously. And my room is teeny tiny. Too tiny for an actual book shelf 

Glad you enjoyed The Rosie Effect. I did read the first two thirds of The Rosie Project but unfortunately I found Rosie so horrendously unlikeable that I couldn't finish the book. Feel a bit left out because I did love Don and the writing, but for me it just wasn't worth having to put up with that annoying woman.

Yeah I found that there were times when I wanted to wring her neck. Not so much in TRP, but in TRE. In the first one I just didn't like certain aspects of her personality but she was also trying to date a guy who has a lot of trouble doing normal things so it was somewhat understandable. In the second book I liked her less.

I'm so pleased that you loved The Rosie Effect  :D .

I loathed Rosie in The Rosie Effect too, she was a total  :censored: , all the way through the book. I wanted to shake her !!  :D

I agree. But then I found myself

Wanting to scream at Don to just have sex with her!!! Like it would come up and it seemed like a good time and would definitely help make things more clear, but he is so unaware of the world around him and the way it works.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But you still enjoyed the book? Maybe I'll give it another go sometime, with more readiness for the annoyance!

Yes, the book is still so good, and I thought that there wasn't much details about Rosie, just annoyance :giggle2: . It's more about Don, and many other characters that he comes across. 

I agree. But then I found myself

Wanting to scream at Don to just have sex with her!!! Like it would come up and it seemed like a good time and would definitely help make things more clear, but he is so unaware of the world around him and the way it works.

I don't think that anyone could make Rosie think clearly all the time, she really  :censored: me off big time!! But as you said, Don thinks quite differently from most people.  :giggle2:

Edited by Marie H

Yes, the book is still so good, and I thought that there wasn't much details about Rosie, just annoyance :giggle2: . It's more about Don, and many other characters that he comes across. 

I don't think that anyone could make Rosie think clearly all the time, she really  :censored: me off big time!! But as you said, Don thinks quite differently from most people.  :giggle2:

But then again I think that's what makes their relationship so interesting. They are so clearly incompatible, but yet they actually love each other. A very unconventional relationship and unconventional love story. 

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

plain-truth-400.jpg

Summary

Jodi Picoult has touched readers deeply with her acclaimed novels, such as Keeping Faith and The Pact. Gifted with a remarkable ability to make us share her characters' feelings (People), Picoult now explores the complex choices of the heart for a young Amish woman -- the compelling journey of discovery for an urban lawyer who befriends and protects her. 

The small town of Paradise, Pennsylvania, is a jewel in Lancaster County -- known for its picture-postcard landscapes and bucolic lifestyle. But that peace is shattered by the discovery of a dead infant in the barn of an Amish farmer. A police investigation quickly leads to two startling disclosures: the newborn's mother is an unmarried Amish woman, eighteen-year-old Katie Fisher. And the infant did not die of natural causes. Although Katie denies the medical proof that she gave birth to the child, circumstantial evidence leads to her arrest for the murder of her baby. 

One hundred miles away, Philadelphia defense attorney Ellie Hathaway has achieved an enviable, high-profile career. But her latest court victory has set the sands shifting beneath her. Single at thirty-nine and unsatisfied with her relationship, Ellie doesn't look back when she turns down her chance to make partner and takes off for an open-ended stay at her great-aunt's home in Paradise. Fate brings her to Katie Fisher. Suddenly, Ellie sees the chance to defend a client who truly needs her, not just one who can afford her. But taking on this case challenges Ellie in more ways than one. She finds herself not only in a clash of wills with a client who does not want to be defended but also in a clash of cultures with a people whose channels of justice are markedly different from her own. Immersing herself in Katie Fisher's life -- and in a world founded on faith, humility, duty, and honesty -- Ellie begins to understand the pressures and sacrifices of those who to live plain. As she peels away the layers of fact and fantasy, Ellie calls on an old friend for guidance. Now, just as this man from Ellie's past reenters her life, she must uncover the truth about a complex case, a tragic loss, the bonds of love -- and her own deepest fears and desires. 

Moving seamlessly from psychological drama to courtroom suspense, Plain Truth is a triumph of contemporary storytelling. Jodi Picoult presents a fascinating portrait of Amish life rarely witnessed by those outside the faith -- and discovers a place where circumstances are not always what they seem, where love meets falsehood, and where relationships grow strong enough to span two worlds

(from goodreads)

Opinions

Fun fact: This is only the second book in the last six that I've read that doesn't begin with the word "the," which I found interesting. Anyway, this book was good and very different but also similar to the other books that I've read by Picoult. Once again she explores a facet of our society that is often not easily discussed in literature. This one happens to involve the Amish and neonaticide, which is the killing of a newborn baby. Also once again she goes out and does large amounts of research to learn about the world that she is placing her story in. I loved how this story dived right into the lives of the Amish people and how their view of the legal system is so entirely different from the American legal system, yet they fall under the jurisdiction of the Constitution and local and state laws. It was interesting to see this two legal worlds collide. 

Not only did this book discuss the story of one mother and whether or not she murdered her newly born child, it also follows the life of a big city lawyer that ends up learning a lot more about Amish culture and herself than she ever expected. I liked that this story was laced into the main plot of the book because it helped make the lawyer seem more real and placed in a more compassionate light than most attorneys tend to be. 

I would probably rate this as one of the higher on my list of favorites by Picoult. In the Q&A with her in the back of the book, she says that this book is similar to The Pact, so if you have read and liked that book I guess this would be a good place to go next. It is different but has some of the same themes. When is doing something wrong actually okay? Is it? And then also the way the lawyers go about defending difficult psychological cases. 

Rating

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart: 

Great review! I haven't yet read this one. Do you think I'll be able to follow it well, not knowing much at all of Amish people? I don't think there's any such thing in the Netherlands. The only way I know of Amish people is through a film and via a talkshow on TV (both American).

Nice review of Plain Truth. Everytime I read a review of a Jodi Picoult book, I always think to myself that I must read more of her work. But I never seem to get around to it! :banghead:

I have that same problem with other authors. It's so hard to get around to reading something new or different when there are so many books that you already know you love the topic/author of that you want to read. If you do read any, I hope you enjoy them!  :smile:

Great review! I haven't yet read this one. Do you think I'll be able to follow it well, not knowing much at all of Amish people? I don't think there's any such thing in the Netherlands. The only way I know of Amish people is through a film and via a talkshow on TV (both American).

I actually knew barely anything about the Amish when I read it. I was thinking that I would be able to understand some of the German in the book without the author saying what it was, but then I realized they speak their own very different dialect. So basically I knew minimally more than you do about the Amish when I began to read it. The nice thing is that some of the characters in the book are not Amish, so they are learning about the culture themselves, which means the reader gets to learn as well. It requires zero background knowledge, but by the end you will know a lot about Amish culture. 

I think you will really like it. Like Picoult said it has sort of the same feel as The Pact.

Is there a lot of Amish culture in it?  That sounds interesting.  Great review!

Yes! There is a lot of Amish culture in it. Because of the supposed murder, the two worlds, Amish and normal American, collide and we as the reader get to see the similarities and differences. 

And this is the actual desk part which contains text books and some library loans and some personal loans from friends. I'm not really sure if you can see all the titles in the stack very well, but the bottom two are school library then two borrowed books from friends then three local library while at school loans. 

qs12cx.jpg

P.S. 

I know I am very messy. I have so many little trinkets and so I tend to put them on my shelf :lol: Also I have trouble sleeping and chronic knee pain, so advil PM is a necessary part of my life :)

I actually knew barely anything about the Amish when I read it. I was thinking that I would be able to understand some of the German in the book without the author saying what it was, but then I realized they speak their own very different dialect. So basically I knew minimally more than you do about the Amish when I began to read it. The nice thing is that some of the characters in the book are not Amish, so they are learning about the culture themselves, which means the reader gets to learn as well. It requires zero background knowledge, but by the end you will know a lot about Amish culture. 

I think you will really like it. Like Picoult said it has sort of the same feel as The Pact.

That sounds great :)!

P.S. 

I know I am very messy. I have so many little trinkets and so I tend to put them on my shelf :lol: Also I have trouble sleeping and chronic knee pain, so advil PM is a necessary part of my life :)

Great photos! I recognise some of the books. Nice shelf, thanks for sharing :D!

I should've seen this earlier!  Great Hemingway section ;) and I loved 1776.  Did you read the Four stories?  What did you think?  (forgive me if I missed the review).

I stepped in to tell you I started my first Jodi Picoult!  I picked Plain Truth but was this close to Nineteen Minutes.

I should've seen this earlier!  Great Hemingway section ;) and I loved 1776.  Did you read the Four stories?  What did you think?  (forgive me if I missed the review).

I stepped in to tell you I started my first Jodi Picoult!  I picked Plain Truth but was this close to Nineteen Minutes.

Yeah I like my Hemingway. The short story book actually belonged to my dad. Hemingway is one of the few fiction writers he'll actually read  :smile:

I did read the Four stories. They were pretty good. I don't think I posted a review because I read them just before the new year, so if there is one at all it would be in last year's thread. I remember liking the more information, but also thinking that they weren't really as good as Divergent or Insurgent.Speaking of Insurgent, I saw the movie this past weekend and it was good, but missed a few things of course. 

I hope you like your first Picoult! I think Plain Truth is a good starter, but I really did like Nineteen Minutes as well.  :D

Great review of Plain Truth, the book's gone on my wishlist! :smile2:

And it was great to see your bookshelves :smile2: I love looking at what books other people have and how they shelf them :wub:

Yeah I like my Hemingway. The short story book actually belonged to my dad. Hemingway is one of the few fiction writers he'll actually read  :smile:

Kudos for Hemingway :cool: Your Dad has great taste :D

Edited by frankie

Great review of Plain Truth, the book's gone on my wishlist! :smile2:

And it was great to see your bookshelves :smile2: I love looking at what books other people have and how they shelf them :wub:

Kudos for Hemingway :cool: Your Dad has great taste :D

I hope you get to it at some point soon. I really liked it  :smile:

He mainly likes Hemingway because of his style, but the topics he discusses are also more things my dad likes as well. I guess I got something from him, I like Hemingway a lot as well.  :D

Just downloaded some new kindle books :D

Quite a few, it's a little late, and I'm on vacation so I will post a list later on.

I look forward to see this list, but for now I will say I hope you enjoy your new books :D! Also, enjoy your vacation!!

Have some down time now, so I'll post the list of books I got for kindle. 

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly 

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

Revival by Stephen King

Gray Mountain by John Grisham 

Have some down time now, so I'll post the list of books I got for kindle. 

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly 

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

Revival by Stephen King

Gray Mountain by John Grisham 

Some interesting reads there! I don't own Leaving Time yet as I'm waiting for the paperback release. I don't own The Goldfinch but I've heard good things. I don't own Revival or Gray Mountain either, but anyway, I hope you enjoy all the new books :D!

Some interesting reads there! I don't own Leaving Time yet as I'm waiting for the paperback release. I don't own The Goldfinch but I've heard good things. I don't own Revival or Gray Mountain either, but anyway, I hope you enjoy all the new books :D!

All the ones I got were New York Times Bestsellers recently, so I figured I could give all of them a try. I'm not sure when I'll get to them, but I knew that I needed more books on my kindle just in case I get caught in a situation where I don't have a book, but I have my kindle or tablet. 

I have The Goldfinch on my TBR pile, and I read Revival last year (and wasn't overly impressed with it).

Sad to hear that. I have only read 1/2 of a King book and I liked it, so I've been trying to reach out more into some of his less horrific and creepy stuff. 

Oh!  Unbroken was a great, powerful read.

I've heard such great things about it! I've heard of the basic storyline, but I'm excited to read the book and see for myself. After that I might watch the movie too :)

Ooh I haven't read any of those but I might eventually read Yes Please, as I quite like Amy Poehler. Are you a Parks & Rec fan? :lol:

This is probably the book I'm most excited about out of all of them. I love Amy Poehler. I loved her on SNL and loved her even more on Parks and Rec if that's possible :lol: so yes I am a Parks and Rec fan.