What our beloved leaders read on the beach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6932841.stm

What a bloody depressing bunch our MPs are. Books written by MPs. Books about MPs. Or Harry Potter or Richard Dawkins. That's it.

What a deflating poll.

I want my MP to be reading good modern fiction, and some interesting history not about politics or politicians.

Any thoughts on what they should be reading?

I don't mind them reading fairly heavy stuff. I actually would rather they weren't reading a childrens' book and being so proud about it.

But I also wish they were reading something other than childrens' fiction and books either by British politicians or about British politicians. It seems incredibly narrow.

If I was giving them prescribed reading for the summer, I'd probably offer them Black Sea by Neal Ascherson; Genome by Matt Ridley; and The Good Soldier Schweijk by Jaroslav Hasek.

Nothing too lightweight; one bit of history, one bit of science, one bit of comic fiction. All fairly easy to read, all covering useful broad subject matter for a politician to understand, nothing particularly parochial and inward looking.

...parochial and inward looking

Ah, what a good description of a politician, nevermind their reading habits! :D

What about our American political cousins? Any ideas about what they'll be reading? :D

(I'm not going to suggest a certain Mr G.W Bush will be reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar again, for the 14th time :D Whoops!)

Ah, what a good description of a politician, nevermind their reading habits! :D

What about our American political cousins? Any ideas about what they'll be reading? :D

(I'm not going to suggest a certain Mr G.W Bush will be reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar again, for the 14th time :D Whoops!)

Actually, he's probable still stuck on See Spot Run. :D

I imagine the Wilberforce book to be quite interesting actually and I don't begrudge them reading Harry Potter at all. I would have thought there are many other books represented there but that the poll just reflects the top few for simplicity sake.

i'm even surprised that g.w. bush can even read the hungry caterpillar- to think about what that man would read- if he could read that is- is a very frightening thought- carm