So Far So Good - 2014 Reading List

CuriousGeorgette

Welcome Georgette!  What a welcome surprise to see you here!

I would recognize you anywhere by your list(s). :D

Have only skimmed through, but your Dale Carnegie thoughts caught my eye.  Excellent summary I would say.

I am a Dale Carnegie Instructor (now retired) and have seen first-hand how effective the Course can be in changing people's lives.  It is amazing the difference that even simple "people skills" can make for a person's happiness/career.

Welcome aboard

Paul

Edited by Paul

Welcome Georgette!  What a welcome surprise to see you here!

I would recognize you anywhere by your list(s). :D

Have only skimmed through, but your Dale Carnegie thoughts caught my eye.  Excellent summary I would say.

I am a Dale Carnegie Instructor (now retired) and have seen first-hand how effective the Course can be in changing people's lives.  It is amazing the difference that even simple "people skills" can make for a person's happiness/career.

Welcome aboard

Paul

Aah yes people skills - still working on mine, now where is my hammer :D :D

My lists ... well I don't know if I am a particularly diverse reader or what but I'm yet to bump into some one with similar lists. :P  Lots have as many or more books on their lists, just not quite the same variety. I haven't even listed all my sci-fi fantasy yet, and I've read more of those than I can remember. Maybe I will do that list next. 

What did you think of Deepak Chopra's book? I have a bit of an inherent dislike for him. :P

I didn't know you were interested in Asian books! I don't know if you've heard about the book Train to Pakistan by Kushwant Singh? His death was on the news recently. His name has only been familiar to me since his death, but I have since become interested in his work.

Have you thought about reading more of Haruki Murakami's books btw? I was a bit surprised how similar his writing was to a lot of western novels I'd written, but then I read somewhere that he was influenced a lot by western authors so I guess that makes sense. :P

Train to Pakistan is wonderful!

Some others to check out:

Three Inch Golden Lotus by Feng Jicai

Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng

Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama

Train to Pakistan is wonderful!

Some others to check out:

Three Inch Golden Lotus by Feng Jicai

Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng

Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama

I will indeed - keep the suggestions coming! I don't like getting too stuck in one particular set of authors even though I do tend to go on a binge and get ALL the books an author has written, especially when I have enjoyed their writing... but there is also so much more to read :) and more ... and more ... 

So I got some books - yes I admit I'm a helpless addict. 

The Ramage books are rereads and a slightly random selection, but I just picked a few I remember better to start with - I'm slowly in the process of building an ebook library of all the books I have read, including all my childhood favourites. Unfortunately many are difficult to find in digital format. The Yorke books are new.

Ramage 01 - Ramage 
Ramage 02 - Ramage and the Drum Beat 
Ramage 03 - Ramage & the Freebooters 
Ramage 05 - Ramage's Prize 
Ramage 10 - The Ramage Touch 
Ramage 15 - Ramage's Challenge 
Ramage 16 - Ramage at Trafalgar 

Yorke 1 - Buccaneer
Yorke 2 - Admiral

Yorke 3 - Galleon
Yorke 4 - Corsair 

Post Human Chronicles 1 - Primordial Labyrinth 

Post Human Chronicles 2 - Second Universe

John A. Ayala

I've had this books for a few months and finally got around to trying to read them. Yes TRYING. The blurb got me ...........but oh my word impenetrable doesn't even begin to describe this writing.

it's filled with bits like this poem.

May life flourish!

May the ineffable fractal dimensions of its petals,

symphonies of light refracting in the eternity of the void,

wound with their storm of colors,

the somber creative entrails of becoming!

At just below 6 000 words this isn't even really a short story and its a load of old cobblers, despite being more than half way through (I read more than I thought just trying to make some kind of sense of it) I'm not going to bother to finish it. These two are a delete!

Moved on to something much better:

Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne 1 - The Emperor's Blades by Brian Stavely. Really enjoyable fantasy so far but which I have just discovered to my horror is the first in a trilogy with the next one only due in Jan 2015. WHhhhhy? I hate reading a good series before it is finished. Oh well the small consolation is that it seems that the books are fairly stand alone-ish if the author's comments are to believed :) I hope *holding thumbs*