Chaliepud's 2014 Reading Log

chaliepud

Oh dear. I bought this one recently. I guess I better not read it in public then, or else I'll be blubbering in front of everyone. :hide:

Better to read the end of the book in privacy, but it is a wonderful book, and worth the tissues used  :giggle: . It took me some time to read that part of the book; my specs kept steamed up with the tears... :blush2: . I'm not that easily brought to tears by a book, but that was worth it that time. Hope you enjoy A Monster Calls  bobbybear 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to read the end of the book in privacy, but it is a wonderful book, and worth the tissues used  :giggle: . It took me some time to read that part of the book; my specs kept steamed up with the tears... :blush2: . I'm not that easily brought to tears by a book, but that was worth it that time. Hope you enjoy A Monster Calls  bobbybear 

Thanks, Marie H. From what everyone is saying, it sounds like I will enjoy it (though I'll be bawling my eyes out at the same time! :giggle2: ).

Me too. I've set myself a target for the 1001 challenge but that's only because I've got loads from the list on my TBR and I'm really enjoying a lot of the books on it. Trying not to stress over the others, just enjoy books I might not otherwise have picked up - particularly applicable to the world challenge!

Yes, reading should most definitely not be stressful, I wish you a very enjoyable reading year Alex! :)

soppy, and I cried buckets at all of those! A monster calls is on my TBR so I will make sure to read it at home! I made the mistake a few years ago of finishing Before I Die on the tube, and had to bite my lip all the way home so I wouldn't cry on public transport. Nightmare!

It was rather emotive, you'll be ok in the beginning and middle of the book I should think though. :)

I just added my Kobo and Kindle app (iPad) books to my TBR list on the first page of this blog, thankfully there are not to many of them as there are now 112 reads for me to get through. :o I know it's not massive by some standards on here but it is for me! :D

Chalie

Good luck with your reading this year. I thought I had already posted in here, but didn't see it . It could just be one of those days where my brain is slipping a cog, so if I already posted, ignore this .  :)

You have some good books on your list .. anxious to hear how you like the new Sue Monk Kidd book. It's not available here til Tuesday  ,and looks like Oprah picked it for her next group read .

I'm nearly half way through Julie and it's been great so far (despite it missing 30 or so pages! It is an uncorrected manuscript copy so I should've checked first) I've caught up now though and it is very very good. :)

Hope you're having a good 2014 so far. :)

Thanks Chalie

I thought I saw that someone else on here is also reading it now, but can't remember who . That's good that you could get it early but not so good if it's missing a chunk of pages .

Is it sorta like Secret Life of Bees ,as far as type of story ,or something completely different ? 

A nice quote on my Calm Days desktop calendar yesterday...

"There are two days in the week about which and upon which I never worry. Two carefree days, kept sacredly free from fear and apprehension. One of the days is yesterday.... And the other day I do not worry about is tomorrow."

(Robert Jones Burdette)

• 2 weeks later...

Three more books to add to my TBR shelf and more on the way.

Earthly Joys/Virgin Earth - Philippa Gregory (probably not something I would have bought myself but I'll give it a go at some point.).

What Alice Forgot - Liane Moriarty (I haven't read The Husbands Secret yet but I liked the synopsis for this one)

Catching Snowflakes - Nora Roberts

On their way..

Hollow City - Ransom Riggs

Unwind - Neal Shusterman (recommended by Noll) :)

I'm about 40% of the way through The Secret History and I think I'm enjoying it, I just wish I had more time to read as I'm sure I could enjoy it much more if I could read more at a time.

Very exciting Hayley :)Hollow City is on my radar too so I'll be interested to see how everyone gets on with it. If it's anything like as good as MPHFPC then I'm definitely getting it. I love the title Catching Snowflakes .. I've just looked it up and what a pretty cover :) Looks like just the sort of book to be curling up with on a cold day. Hope you get more time for curling up :D There's a dog on the cover too which I hope means there's a dog in the story  :D

A nice quote on my Calm Days desktop calendar yesterday...

"There are two days in the week about which and upon which I never worry. Two carefree days, kept sacredly free from fear and apprehension. One of the days is yesterday.... And the other day I do not worry about is tomorrow."

(Robert Jones Burdette)

More great advice! I love this. :)

I just wish I had more time to read as I'm sure I could enjoy it much more if I could read more at a time.

I'm having the same thing at the moment with books in general. When you only read in fits and starts it's so easy to forget what's been happening, and who's who, and you also lose the effect of slow-builds. Emotional moments also kind of lose their impact when you have to put the book away halfway through them!

On their way..

Hollow City - Ransom Riggs

Unwind - Neal Shusterman (recommended by Noll) :)

Yay! I ended up absolutely loving it anyway, and am immediately going to dive into the rest of the series. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I hope you do too, I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Very exciting Hayley :)Hollow City is on my radar too so I'll be interested to see how everyone gets on with it. If it's anything like as good as MPHFPC then I'm definitely getting it. I love the title Catching Snowflakes .. I've just looked it up and what a pretty cover :) Looks like just the sort of book to be curling up with on a cold day. Hope you get more time for curling up :D There's a dog on the cover too which I hope means there's a dog in the story  :D

I went into Waterstones twice this week to get Hollow City but they didn't have it so have had to order it from Amazon, they've said 1-3 weeks but I'm hoping it will be quicker than that.. :smile:  I'm hoping it will be as good as Miss P's too but am so often disappointed by sequels. :(

Nora Roberts is my go to author if I want a stress free read that requires little or no thinking! There is no mention of a dog in the synopsis but I live in hope! :D

I'm having the same thing at the moment with books in general. When you only read in fits and starts it's so easy to forget what's been happening, and who's who, and you also lose the effect of slow-builds. Emotional moments also kind of lose their impact when you have to put the book away halfway through them!

Yes, it's exactly that Laura.. I think I read in my sleep too though, I often fall asleep reading, wake up enough to put a bookmark in and turn off the light..then wake up, open the book and have no recollection of the last couple of pages!  :o  :giggle:

Yay! I ended up absolutely loving it anyway, and am immediately going to dive into the rest of the series. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I hope you do too, I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I think it may not be here for a week or two so I must try and finish The Secret History first.. Would you say it would be suitable for teens? (Aged nearly 15 and 13). I'm pretty relaxed about what they read but wouldn't want graphic sex scenes! :)

I think it may not be here for a week or two so I must try and finish The Secret History first.. Would you say it would be suitable for teens? (Aged nearly 15 and 13). I'm pretty relaxed about what they read but wouldn't want graphic sex scenes! :)

Hmmmmm. I would say that it would depend on their level of thoughtfulness about sociological issues like abortion and organ donation. Check out the review in my reading thread to maybe get a better idea of what I took from it. I would think a 15 year old would be fine, and maybe a mature 13 year old, but all kids are different. There aren't any sex scenes at all - there's virtually no romance even (hallelujah, a YA without the obligatory romance!) so that's not a problem. It's more emotionally and psychologically disturbing - creepy, chilling. Not gory or violent. :)

Thanks Noll, think maybe it's best if I read it first. I was planning on reading it anyway. I'm sure my near 15 year old son could cope with the issues raised but he might not get on so well with the creepiness.. He still refuses to watch Dr Who.. Because it's rubbish he says.. Yeah right! :D

Yes, it's exactly that Laura.. I think I read in my sleep too though, I often fall asleep reading, wake up enough to put a bookmark in and turn off the light..then wake up, open the book and have no recollection of the last couple of pages!  :o  :giggle:

:lol: I imagine being able to read in your sleep would really help with reducing the TBR . . . although I suppose it's not that helpful if you don't remember the book afterwards! :giggle2:

Thanks Noll, think maybe it's best if I read it first. I was planning on reading it anyway. I'm sure my near 15 year old son could cope with the issues raised but he might not get on so well with the creepiness.. He still refuses to watch Dr Who.. Because it's rubbish he says.. Yeah right! :D

He is right!  <<hides from forum Whovians>>   :giggle2:

*hovers over the ban button*