Chaliepud's 2014 Reading Log

chaliepud

Well, even though I am away for a couple of days I couldn't resist nipping into a Waterstones on my way to Champneys, and found a lovely one in Berkhamsted. I treated myself to a few lovely books and don't feel too guilty as three were on my wish list! :)

More Than This - Patrick Ness

The Underdog - Markus Zusak

Slated - Teri Terry

The Lower River - Paul Theroux (has anyone read this as I only came across it today and it appeals?)

I'm also about a third of the way through The Invention of Wings (thank you Michelle) and thoroughly enjoying it. :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, even though I am away for a couple of days I couldn't resist nipping into a Waterstones on my way to Champneys, and found a lovely one in Berkhamsted. I treated myself to a few lovely books and don't feel too guilty as three were on my wish list! :)

Slated - Teri Terry

The Lower River - Paul Theroux (has anyone read this as I only came across it today and it appeals?)

Good haul!  :smile: . More Than This is on my library wishlist now, I have to admit I didn't notice that he had a new novel recently :blush2: . A Monster Calls was a wonderful book, but needed a quite a few tissues at hand..... :wibbly:

Quite a size of a TBR pile there....lol....and see you have a few Diane Chamberlain...thanks to you so do I. I have one laid by that I have to read and then send on to you...Bay at Midnight I think it is.

It made me cry too - but then I am a bit of a soppy so-and-so!  :giggle:

Howard, Elizabeth Jane - The Light Years

She died very recently.  :(  My Mum has read a lot, if not all, of hers.

Happy reading 2014.   :)   I like the idea of no challenges, but at the same time I'm enjoying the ones I'm doing.  I'm going to try not to stress over them if I can.

Thanks Sari, She is improving all the time, though still likes being up at 645, I'm amazed every morning that she barks at almost exactly that time, within a few minutes, I even turned around the clock that was facing her as I can't figure out how she does it, :giggle:[/color]  it doesn't matter what time I put her to bed, that is her time and she's sticking to it!  :P  I can't see me having much more time this year as I am hoping that now she is approaching 7 months I will be able to start at an agility club with her, plus once a fortnight we will also be having a go at Search and Rescue training which is very exciting!

What a smart dog! How does she do it?? She must have an internal clock... Well, she is a good timer, and you will never sleep in by mistake and get disorganized... I suppose it's one of the very few cons about having dogs.

And very exciting about the Search and Rescue training! It's going to be so much fun :smile2: And she'll be happily knackered after the sessions, so maybe you could get a bit more reading time after them... :D

I read The House of the Spirits in 2013 which I thoroughly enjoyed, though I found it a bit heavy going at times it was worth the effort.

That was actually the book I was thinking about when I asked you about Allende. I have it on my TBR and I have a feeling it's going to be good, but for some reason it intimidates me. :blush:

I really want to get to them soon! I have some non-fiction doggy books I need to add to my TBR list too, I tend to not include them in my lists but I must! I bough Search Dogs and me with money my lovely Nan gave me for Christmas, hopefully it will give me some helpful hints before we start our training.

I want to know what you think of that book, too!

Then read it I must! :D

But if you get to reading it before me, just don't tell Kylie it was me who told you to read it. She's still miffed I haven't read it yet :giggle:

Slated - Teri Terry

Great haul! And oh dear, so many of us have been acquiring books already, even though it's only been three days into the year... :lol: TBR is laughing merrily at us all!

I've never heard of the Zusak book :o I wish it had to do with dogs, but it probably doesn't...

Yep I blubbed too at A Monster Calls ... it would be pretty hard not to I think.

Enjoy your new books Hayley :smile: .... new books AND a spa visit ... lucky, lucky you  :hug:(I trust that you're all mellowed out now and that any leftover Christmas stress has been pampered away :D) 

Good haul!  :smile: . More Than This is on my library wishlist now, I have to admit I didn't notice that he had a new novel recently :blush2: . A Monster Calls was a wonderful book, but needed a quite a few tissues at hand..... :wibbly:

It's a lovely looking hardback and only half price in Waterstone's at present, so a bargain too! :)

I hope you enjoy your new books, Hayley. The first two sound pretty interesting. I've heard good things about Patrick Ness' books and I loved The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Thanks Gaia, I loved The Book Thief too. :)

Quite a size of a TBR pile there....lol....and see you have a few Diane Chamberlain...thanks to you so do I. I have one laid by that I have to read and then send on to you...Bay at Midnight I think it is.

I have found another one too!  I started Brass Ring last year and didn't finish it as my mojo was struggling so.. Will try again this year. :)  Thank you in advance for The Bay at Midnight.  :friends3:

Oh dear. I bought this one recently. I guess I better not read it in public then, or else I'll be blubbering in front of everyone. :hide:

Just at the end - and it made me cry, which rarely happens!

Yes, just at the end for me too, but like Michelle I don't cry too easily.. A few exceptions were The Book Thief, The Boy in the Striped PJ's and Night Road. :(

It made me cry too - but then I am a bit of a soppy so-and-so!  :giggle:

She died very recently.  :(  My Mum has read a lot, if not all, of hers.

Happy reading 2014.   :)   I like the idea of no challenges, but at the same time I'm enjoying the ones I'm doing.  I'm going to try not to stress over them if I can.

Thanks Janet. :) Yes I saw it in the paper today :( (I didn't know she was married to Kingsley Amis), she was 90 and the fifth book was only published in November, I'm hoping it was the final one!

I think no challenges is the way forward, I don't want to set myself up to fail! :D Reading definitely shouldn't be something that stresses us!  :o

What a smart dog! How does she do it?? She must have an internal clock... Well, she is a good timer, and you will never sleep in by mistake and get disorganized... I suppose it's one of the very few cons about having dogs.

I have no idea but the last two mornings she has slept till 715, typically I was away and missed this mornings one so Steve got the benefit!  Fingers crossed she sleeps in tomorrow too! 

And very exciting about the Search and Rescue training! It's going to be so much fun :smile2: And she'll be happily knackered after the sessions, so maybe you could get a bit more reading time after them... :D

I know, I can't wait! And yes fingers crossed again that she gets super tired!  :D

That was actually the book I was thinking about when I asked you about Allende. I have it on my TBR and I have a feeling it's going to be good, but for some reason it intimidates me. :blush:

It was only hard in that it was quite detailed, also, I'm thinking maybe the translation wasn't the best as i remember it not flowing brilliantly (for me at least). But the story itself was fantastic so well worth the effort if your mojo has the stamina. :)

But if you get to reading it before me, just don't tell Kylie it was me who told you to read it. She's still miffed I haven't read it yet :giggle:

I'll keep Mum! :D

Great haul! And oh dear, so many of us have been acquiring books already, even though it's only been three days into the year... :lol: TBR is laughing merrily at us all!

Yes it can't be good when you've bought more books that there are days in the year!! :o

I've never heard of the Zusak book I wish it had to do with dogs, but it probably doesn't...

There are none mentioned in the blurb sadly! :(

I've just googled The Underdog and realised it's the first book in the Wolfe brothers series. I've read the third book in that series, when I didn't know it was a series at all. :rolleyes: Good job, going it in the wrong order...

Hee hee!  I had to google it in Waterstone's to make sure I got it right! :D

I have no idea but the last two mornings she has slept till 715, typically I was away and missed this mornings one so Steve got the benefit!  Fingers crossed she sleeps in tomorrow too! 

Why would she give Steve more time to sleep?? :D What a wicked girl... :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. You have to let me know how it went. It would be super odd if she went back to her earlier regime now that you are back.

I know, I can't wait! And yes fingers crossed again that she gets super tired!   :D

I'm sure she will. And she'll tell Obi all about it and Obi will be all like, I could do that, too, but I'm just not that bothered... I like playing ball more. And Dylan will be happy that you have exhausted the little one... :giggle:

It was only hard in that it was quite detailed, also, I'm thinking maybe the translation wasn't the best as i remember it not flowing brilliantly (for me at least). But the story itself was fantastic so well worth the effort if your mojo has the stamina. :)

Ah, the translation... My copy is in Finnish so it'll be interesting to see if it's any better. Oh crap. I've just remembered that I have read one book by her before, the Zorro book, and the translation was just horrid. Not only was it not flowing, but there were so many typos and grammatical errors! What are the chances that the same authors English and Finnish translations suck!

Yes it can't be good when you've bought more books that there are days in the year!! :o

I know!! I just hope it doesn't last... *fingers crossed*

Hee hee!  I had to google it in Waterstone's to make sure I got it right! :D

:D You did!

Yep I blubbed too at A Monster Calls ... it would be pretty hard not to I think.

Enjoy your new books Hayley :smile: .... new books AND a spa visit ... lucky, lucky you  :hug:(I trust that you're all mellowed out now and that any leftover Christmas stress has been pampered away :D) 

We're an empathetic lot aren't we! :)

I'm loving looking at my books, although I have to admit a few have been sneaked where they can't be seen by Steve, sadly he doesn't 'get' my need for books. :(  He hardly reads himself so I suppose it is understandable when he sees so many books I haven't yet read! :D

The spa break was WONDERFUL! I haven't felt that relaxed for year, I had a massage, facial, a session in the thalassotherapy pool, my eyebrows shaped and a nice swim in the pool.  The meals were lovely, plentiful and healthy, I just need to try and maintain it now I'm home! :)

And another one here who sobbed her heart out at A Monster Calls.  Such a good book.  :weeping:

It was indeed! :)

I'm loving looking at my books, although I have to admit a few have been sneaked where they can't be seen by Steve, sadly he doesn't 'get' my need for books. :(  He hardly reads himself so I suppose it is understandable when he sees so many books I haven't yet read! :D

Where does he take them to, and what does he do with them, if he doesn't read books! :o Mysterious... :D

The spa break was WONDERFUL! I haven't felt that relaxed for year, I had a massage, facial, a session in the thalassotherapy pool, my eyebrows shaped and a nice swim in the pool.  The meals were lovely, plentiful and healthy, I just need to try and maintain it now I'm home! :)

It was indeed! :)

That sounds fabulous! My idea of a really relaxing weekend... I'm so envious, I have to say :D But you really deserve it :smile2:

How are you doing the quoting Sari, it's not working for me!! :(

What seems to be the problem? I saw you quoted poppyshake's post just fine...? Are my posts different to quote? :o

Edit: Ah, you only quoted poppyshake's whole post and then chesil's... hold on!

With the new update, you have to click the first icon on top left, on the tool bar, it says BBCode. Then you will see [ quote this person and that and ladidaaa.] and then their post and [ /quote]. The quote thingies without the spaces.

If you want to quote more than one thing on someone's post, you have to isolate those things by adding that [ quote by frankie ladidaa] and my waffle bit and then in the end add [ /quote]. And then you can comment on the thing between the [ quote ladidaa]and [ /quote]. And then you have to repeat that to all the things you want to quote.

Edited by frankie

Me too. I've set myself a target for the 1001 challenge but that's only because I've got loads from the list on my TBR and I'm really enjoying a lot of the books on it. Trying not to stress over the others, just enjoy books I might not otherwise have picked up - particularly applicable to the world challenge!

Yes, just at the end for me too, but like Michelle I don't cry too easily.. A few exceptions were The Book Thief, The Boy in the Striped PJ's and Night Road. :(

I'm soppy, and I cried buckets at all of those! A monster calls is on my TBR so I will make sure to read it at home! I made the mistake a few years ago of finishing Before I Die on the tube, and had to bite my lip all the way home so I wouldn't cry on public transport. Nightmare!

Where does he take them to, and what does he do with them, if he doesn't read books! :o Mysterious... :D

That sounds fabulous! My idea of a really relaxing weekend... I'm so envious, I have to say :D But you really deserve it :smile2:

What seems to be the problem? I saw you quoted poppyshake's post just fine...? Are my posts different to quote? :o

Steve doesn't take them, maybe I phrased that wrong.. I sneak them away so he doesn't see them! :)

It was fabulous, we're hoping to do it again some time. :)

The quoting is fine when I just want to reply to one paragraph, but I can't seem to separate them to reply to different paragraphs in the same message..

The quoting is fine when I just want to reply to one paragraph, but I can't seem to separate them to reply to different paragraphs in the same message..

Yeah I noticed it after I posted and edited my reply to comment on that :) And also, sometimes when I can't get it to work myself or when there's just so much to comment, Kylie and I have been doing this thing where she will write in blue and I will answer her in red. It's a bit daft maybe but works :D

Why would she give Steve more time to sleep?? :D What a wicked girl... :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. You have to let me know how it went. It would be super odd if she went back to her earlier regime now that you are back.

Well, she was 713 this morning so all good, hope it lasts though I'll need to get up at 645 on Monday anyway as the kids are back to school! :D

sure she will. And she'll tell Obi all about it and Obi will be all like, I could do that, too, but I'm just not that bothered... I like playing ball more. And Dylan will be happy that you have exhausted the little one... :giggle:

Obi is getting to the age where he likes a quiet life and Dylan tends to sleep most of the day, he may not even notice we're gone! :)

, the translation... My copy is in Finnish so it'll be interesting to see if it's any better. Oh crap. I've just remembered that I have read one book by her before, the Zorro book, and the translation was just horrid. Not only was it not flowing, but there were so many typos and grammatical errors! What are the chances that the same authors English and Finnish translations suck!

I didn't notice any other errors so hopefully the Finnish translation won't be too bad. I'll keep an eye on your book blog for your thoughts. :)

I know!! I just hope it doesn't last... *fingers crossed*

I must stop NOW! I've also bought a couple of Kobo books and some for my iPad kindle app too! :(:)

D You did!

Thank goodness, or that would've been another 2 books to add to the list! :o

EDIT: It worked, thanks Sari! :doowapstart:

Edited by chaliepud