Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

Are you grossed out yet? :D

Lol  :giggle2:

Finished The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funeral last night.  

That is such a great title  :D

I read some more of The Goldfinch last night so only about 600 pages to go now  :smile:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really enjoying The Goldfinch but getting annoyed with it .. not with the writing which is excellent but with Theo ... he's making all the wrong decisions :(

Yes, things were going quite well with the Barbour family (I just want to hug little Andy!  :console: ) , then the sudden arrival...... :o . Theo is easily lead by other people  :mellow: . I read last night about of the low-down on Vegas' lowlife - and then the next shock  :o . Great book!

Finished The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funeral last night. 

I read it a couple of years ago, and I remember the 'shock' was so unexpected  :o

Remember when we talked about him and you recommended a few of his books? I've recently remembered that the costume drama The Paradise is based on Zola's The Ladies' Paradise. The series was so great that I think the book cannot be that bad, can it? Maybe that's the way to start.

I haven't read The Ladies Paradise or seen the TV version (The Paradise). But I think that is a good idea for you to start with that one. I love Zola's observation of human behaviour  - I think that he was able to observe a lot of tiny details, especially womens actions and behaviour.  I could be wrong, but I think you would like Zola's novels.  :smile:

I got this from the library this week.  I read it years ago, and always intended to reread it one day.  I remember it being a very thoughtprovoking read.

IMO, it is a tough re-read.  I decided against it around 30pages in.  I just had remembered it too vividly and decided it was a journey I didn't wish to take again.

1984 will change your life!  Or at least, the way you look at it.

Ive heard its a very good book and I cant wait to start it :)

I must read this again. It is a mighty powerful thought provoking book.

I am really looking forward to it. I've never read it much to my shame!

Yes, things were going quite well with the Barbour family (I just want to hug little Andy!  :console: ) , then the sudden arrival...... :o . Theo is easily lead by other people  :mellow: . I read last night about of the low-down on Vegas' lowlife - and then the next shock  :o . Great book!

She's so readable .. just when I think she's surprised me enough she throws in some more. You've still got shocks ahead of you and I haven't finished yet so I expect I have too :D Her stories are always edge-of-your-seat tense and you just can't second guess her.

I absolutely love Andy and Hobie .. and Pippa .. though was hoping for a lot more Pippa in the story than I've got so far.

Started High Rising by Angela Thirkell and enjoying it :smile: