Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

I received a few books in the post today.. :)

Hollow City - Ransom Riggs

Unwind - Neal Shusterman

A cook book..

The Medicinal Chef, Healthy Every Day - Dale Pinnock

And some books that were recommended to me and a bargain at The Book People.. All written by Dr Jessamy Hibberd and Jo Usmar.

This Book Will Make You Happy

This Book Will Make You Calm

This Book Will Make You Confident

Also, a set of three David Walliams books for my sons 9th birthday in 2 weeks. :)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jealous! I pre-ordered the book but it was shipped out unusually late after the date of publication, so I haven't received it yet (fingers crossed for early next week!)

I have started reading A Mencken Chrestomathy by HL Mencken. Mencken was a journalist, critic and brilliant writer and wit. I've read about 20 pages and am loving it!

Started The Rook at lunchtime and read about 50 pages.  So far … it's a keeper! :D

Really thought that said 'The Book' at first and I was like, 'well that's not a very imaginative title! :giggle:

Unwind - Neal Shusterman

:yahoo:

My reading is going a little all over the place. I finish the UnWind short story (between books 1 and 2) and it was very good. Very sad, but very good. I haven't decided if I have utterly given up on The 5th Wave and The Program isn't faring much better. I don't really want to leave any books unfinished though, and I'm a good chunk into both, so I might just plow through them for the sake of getting them done.

I'm also reading Dante & Aristotle Discover The Secrets Of The Universe. It's... got an interesting writing style. Very short chapters, which make it easier to read. I'm not sure how much I'm going to get out of it personally, but I think it's going to be one of those books that, while I wouldn't read it again, I'll be glad I read it the once.

Noll, you're giving up on The 5th Wave? We really do have differing tastes! ;)

It was super up until

the creepy diary-reading Edward Cullen-eqsue stalker guy and that 'romance' if it could be called that. Ugh.

But I loved the whole first section, and I do want to know how it ends.

The English Monster is pretty good going. It's a fictionalised account of the Ratcliffe Highway murders in 1811 (which I've never heard of). I've been reading a few things online about it...interesting and gruesome stuff.

Read the first 100 pages of Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch - and it's a very good read  :smile: ! Finished John Wyndham's Trouble with Lichen, but it was a odd book to read. A great "what if?" - what will happen when the discovery that a lichen can reduce the ageing process, and when injected that humans could live for 200 or 300 years. But Wyndham's writing style is weird, to me - a combination of British information film of the 50's and a Janet and John book.  :shrug: .

But Wyndham's writing style is weird, to me - a combination of British information film of the 50's and a Janet and John book.  :shrug: .

:o   :no:

120 pages into David Gemmell's Morningstar.

:o   :no:

Ah, I seem to have a different opinion on Wyndham's work from you. :shrug: . I thought that the idea of the book's "what if?" speculative fiction was good, but I have found his style of writing so.....rigid maybe...or stilted. It felt that the characters were unreal. Strangely dated, for the early 60's British writing. I found his Chocky in the same way. He's just not my cup of tea.

Unwind - Neal Shusterman

A cook book..

The Medicinal Chef, Healthy Every Day - Dale Pinnock

And some books that were recommended to me and a bargain at The Book People.. All written by Dr Jessamy Hibberd and Jo Usmar.

This Book Will Make You Happy

This Book Will Make You Calm

This Book Will Make You Confident

Also, a set of three David Walliams books for my sons 9th birthday in 2 weeks. :)

x

Congrats on all the books :D!

I received another book in the post today.. The Bay at Midnight by Diane Chamberlain, from the very lovely Diane, thank you! :)

It is a bookcrossing book, I'm not familiar with the system so I will have a look later to see if I can keep the book going. :)

Since I finished The Secret History I have started two books, Search Dogs & Me and Paper Towns by John Green. Hopefully I'll find a little time to read this weekend but the kids have a full schedule and need a taxi driver/supporter! :D

I'm almost a quarter of the way into The Rook by Daniel O'Malley now, and it's still exposition city!  Such a lot of detail needed to explain the world, but I love the way the author's doing it, and I'm enjoying it so far. :smile2:

I can't wait till the sequel comes out! :D

Read the first 100 pages of Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch - and it's a very good read  :smile: ! Finished John Wyndham's Trouble with Lichen, but it was a odd book to read. A great "what if?" - what will happen when the discovery that a lichen can reduce the ageing process, and when injected that humans could live for 200 or 300 years. But Wyndham's writing style is weird, to me - a combination of British information film of the 50's and a Janet and John book.  :shrug: .

Glad you enjoyed The Goldfinch.....really surprised re Wyndham, but I haven't read that one but will def look into it now, to compare.  Never heard of Janet and John books. 

His style is a bit old fashioned, but for example, in The Day of the Triffids, it is so clear, so concise, and actually gentlemanly.....I love it. :)  In fact, Triffids is one of my all time favorites, ever. 

I received another book in the post today.. The Bay at Midnight by Diane Chamberlain, from the very lovely Diane, thank you! :)

It is a bookcrossing book, I'm not familiar with the system so I will have a look later to see if I can keep the book going. :)

Since I finished The Secret History I have started two books, Search Dogs & Me and Paper Towns by John Green. Hopefully I'll find a little time to read this weekend but the kids have a full schedule and need a taxi driver/supporter! :D

I finished the Diane Chamberlain on Friday.  I loved it, one of the best books I've read in a while.  I hope you enjoy it.

Yep, I think we've had this conversation before.

Yes, I feel there is a certain deja vu/replay going on here.... :giggle2: . 

really surprised re Wyndham, but I haven't read that one but will def look into it now, to compare.  Never heard of Janet and John books. 

His style is a bit old fashioned, but for example, in The Day of the Triffids, it is so clear, so concise, and actually gentlemanly.....I love it. :)  In fact, Triffids is one of my all time favorites, ever. 

The Janet and John series were the first learn-to-read in school, in the UK 1950s and 1960s. (So I was was being sarcastic re Wyndham, (as Karsa Orlong would get the reference, I would think  ;) )

I find Wyndham’s writing style is very dated, and after reading Chocky and Trouble with Lichen I think that the ideas are very interesting (especially in Trouble with Lichen, and the possibility of reducing the ageing process, very apt in these days), but I find some of his characters are odd. It is mostly terribly middle class, but some of them (Cockney working class characters in TWL) were almost parodied, it just made me cringe. I know now that Wyndham novels are not my cup of tea, and I fully admit that SF is not my genre either. I seem to have hit a raw nerve with criticising Wyndham’s work, but hey, that’s great to discuss and disagree here!  :friends3: .

I´ve been kinda of lazy this first month of the year... :Zzzz:

I finished "The great and secret show" by Clive Barker and now I´m with "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth. No way I´m going to finish it on january...

I seem to have hit a raw nerve with criticising Wyndham’s work, but hey, that’s great to discuss and disagree here!  :friends3: .

I stand by your right to criticise any writer Marie! :D 

I like Wyndham .. he is right up my street sci-fi wise (and hardly anybody else is :blush2:) but he's not going to be for everyone and I can actually see why people might find his stories old fashioned and a little bit patronising (in retrospect.) However he is nowhere near as patronising as Enid and I still find myself loving her stories :blush2: (most of her working class characters were a bit 'Dick Van Dyke' too :D) Oh dear the overwhelming snobbishness of her books (especially Malory Towers/St Clares) sailed right over my head as a child. I used to dream about boarding with those girls when in effect .. I'd have been relegated to the kitchen .. pocketing the scraps to take home to my poor old mum who'd been lamed by her gin soaked husband. Enid never considered the working classes would read her books .. she didn't think we could read :o still .. I forgive her as she definitely kick started my love of reading (I imagine she would've kicked me actually ... common little beast :D)

Yes .. but ... where was I? .. oh yes :blush2: .. *STATING THE OBVIOUS ALERT* we all like what we like and vice versa and books that enchant one can disgust others (I had a terrible Mervyn Peake experience recently .. that is I had a nice time with him but hardly anyone else did  :blush2:

We're not wishy washy with our opinions .. we love our books and authors too much and, as you say, it breeds interesting discussions  :friends3: 

I'm actually enjoying Paper Towns by John Green, I wasn't expecting too after disliking Looking For Alaska so much.. But there is a revenge seeking ex girlfriend in there which appeals to my sense of justice..  ;)  :giggle2:

x

That's great to hear, Paper Towns is on my TBR.

It's a series of children's books.  According to this you might know them as 'Alice & Jerry' in the US :shrug:

Ahhhh!  Nah, not even the Alice & Jerry. :D  Thanks for the link.

Yes, I feel there is a certain deja vu/replay going on here.... :giggle2: . 

The Janet and John series were the first learn-to-read in school, in the UK 1950s and 1960s. (So I was was being sarcastic re Wyndham, (as Karsa Orlong would get the reference, I would think  )

I find Wyndham’s writing style is very dated, and after reading Chocky and Trouble with Lichen I think that the ideas are very interesting (especially in Trouble with Lichen, and the possibility of reducing the ageing process, very apt in these days), but I find some of his characters are odd. It is mostly terribly middle class, but some of them (Cockney working class characters in TWL) were almost parodied, it just made me cringe. I know now that Wyndham novels are not my cup of tea, and I fully admit that SF is not my genre either. I seem to have hit a raw nerve with criticising Wyndham’s work, but hey, that’s great to discuss and disagree here!  :friends3: .

Thanks for the info, Marie.  And, btw, I'm sorry if I sounded huffy, didn't mean to at all!  I totally agree with Kay, et als  re the variety of opinions being a good thing. 

Diversity, baby!! :readingtwo:   :friends3:

I stand by your right to criticise any writer Marie! :D 

I like Wyndham .. he is right up my street sci-fi wise (and hardly anybody else is ) but he's not going to be for everyone and I can actually see why people might find his stories old fashioned and a little bit patronising (in retrospect.) However he is nowhere near as patronising as Enid and I still find myself loving her stories  (most of her working class characters were a bit 'Dick Van Dyke' too ) Oh dear the overwhelming snobbishness of her books (especially Malory Towers/St Clares) sailed right over my head as a child. I used to dream about boarding with those girls when in effect .. I'd have been relegated to the kitchen .. pocketing the scraps to take home to my poor old mum who'd been lamed by her gin soaked husband. Enid never considered the working classes would read her books .. she didn't think we could read  still .. I forgive her as she definitely kick started my love of reading (I imagine she would've kicked me actually ... common little beast )

Yes .. but ... where was I? .. oh yes  .. *STATING THE OBVIOUS ALERT* we all like what we like and vice versa and books that enchant one can disgust others (I had a terrible Mervyn Peake experience recently .. that is I had a nice time with him but hardly anyone else did  ) 

We're not wishy washy with our opinions .. we love our books and authors too much and, as you say, it breeds interesting discussions  :friends3: 

Wishy washy....love that expression.  :giggle:

SORRY!!!!!   Had to eliminate some emoticons, bloody thing wouldn't allow me to post until I did!!!!!  EEK!  And it doesn't tell you HOW many are too many, so I'm doing one at the time, to experiment...........OY!