Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

Hello everyone.. it's been quite a few days since I last post something.. I'm soo so sorry. You all seem to have some nice books under your noses.. well well.. I'm so happy for you. I'm currently reading The Door - Magda Szabò for my reading circle and the biography of Malala Yousafzai for my pleasure. Some other italian writers are in my desk too, some are really good, but I'm afraid they're not translated in english, and it's a shame because one of them in particular is really gifted and talented: he can build up hard characters with hard lives in a sweet soft way your heart is somehow soothed by them. He's called Mauro Corona, but I really don't think you've heard of him.

Edited by Eleonora

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm slowly reading Unstrung, the short story that comes after Unwind. So far, aside from the obligatory groan at 'hi-rez' and 'lo-rez' (it's actually clever, but *groooaaannn*) I'm really enjoying it.

I've also just discovered Unrest by Michelle Harrison thanks to our own Michelle, so I'm off to find a copy for my Kobo! (It features sleep paralysis, one of the most terrifying things I have ever experienced. Books rarely scare me, but I'm hoping this one will! :D )

I am really struggling with what to read next. I've gone through my TBR pile, and I've got so many on there it's hard to choose one. I wanted to read the ones I'd had the longest but none of them appeal. :banghead:  For now I'll go with The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain, even though it's one of my more recent purchases.

I am really struggling with what to read next. I've gone through my TBR pile, and I've got so many on there it's hard to choose one. I wanted to read the ones I'd had the longest but none of them appeal. :banghead: For now I'll go with The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain, even though it's one of my more recent purchases.

I've not heard of that Diane chamberlain title, I hope you enjoy it and I'll look out for your review

:)

I am really struggling with what to read next. I've gone through my TBR pile, and I've got so many on there it's hard to choose one. I wanted to read the ones I'd had the longest but none of them appeal. :banghead:  For now I'll go with The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain, even though it's one of my more recent purchases.

x

I have it on my TBR, I hope you enjoy it :)!

Awww .. don't bang your head bobbs. Any book read from the TBR is good even if it has only been on there for five secs. No point in reading a book you don't fancy .. it'll only hinder your mojo :blush2: 

Hope you're enjoying The Lost Daughter :smile: 

I finished All Creatures Great and Small for the English Counties challenge today.  I absolutely loved it, and it's made me want to go and rematch all the television series from when I was a kid. :smile2:

Almost three weeks into the new year, and I've only bought one book, and that was in a charity shop for the English Counties challenge, so I'm not sure it should count. ;):giggle2:

I finished All Creatures Great and Small for the English Counties challenge today.  I absolutely loved it, and it's made me want to go and rematch all the television series from when I was a kid. :smile2:

Almost three weeks into the new year, and I've only bought one book, and that was in a charity shop for the English Counties challenge, so I'm not sure it should count. ;):giggle2:

I loved both the TV series and books, too.  I've read all the books, I believe.  But not in quite a while.

I've just started Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner which I downloaded recently after seeing a poster advertising a new Ray Winstone TV production of it... only to discover it's already been broadcast, and was on Sky, which we don't have.  :rolleyes:

I recorded that over Christmas, and finally got to watch the first episode last night - it wasn't very good, you didn't miss much, Janet  :smile:

I've just finished the book and I really enjoyed it - a rollicking read! :D I had a look at the trailer of the Sky production on You Tube and was surprised to see that John is clearly in his early 20s - he's about 14 or 15 in the book!

I'm currently reading The Door - Magda Szabò for my reading circle

I read this a couple of years ago and thought it was really good. :)

Over 50% done with Abarat by Clive Barker.  Wow- what a tale!  Dunno if I will read #2 right away, but so far I love it- but I love his imagination so much.  If this is YA, this is really for the likes of ages 15-16 imo.

I've just added that title to my wishlist as I've heard a few people talking about it and though it's not my usual fare, I also really want to like it for some reason!

I missed this earlier, doh. Yep, it's funny how we both really want to like it, for some reason =D Some books do that to people.

I finished Longbourn  Jo Baker last night it was such a good read but i shall put together a review on it soon. This morning i started my bookgroup read The Rose Petal Beach  Dorothy Koomson, i'm not very far into it but already i can't wait to get to the end so i can start something else

I'm so happy you liked the book! =) I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it :)

I'm definitely planning on reading Gillespie and I at some point. I'm about 95% through The Observations....I thought I'd finish it this morning but I had to leave for work.  I did a search on here for posts about the book but couldn't find anything. I'll do another search, probably using the authors name, instead of 'observations'.

I searched with the author's name and did find something but not the actual conversation on the book and who were actually reading it. :(

I’m trying not to buy books this year, so I’ve requested a few new books from the library instead.  The trouble is that I don’t seem to be able to control the requesting at the library either!

At the end of this afternoon I have:

Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

Position: 7 in a queue of 28

Love, Nina: despatches from family life - Nina Stibbe

Position: 11 in a queue of 16

Shock of the fall - Nathan Filer

Position: 3 in a queue of 3

Longbourn - Jo Baker

Position: 8 in a queue of 8

Library of unrequited love - Sophie Divy

Position: 2 in a queue of 2

Let’s hope that they come a reasonable timing. Chances of that happening are : slim chance or fat chance

:D The good thing is that you don't have to be able to control yourself, the library will do that for you, eventually, when they run out of money! :lol:

I'm very curious about the Sophie Divry book, I hope it turns out to be great! :)

I am still going off your older list at the moment and it doesn't appear to be on there. Did you add it to the new list?

Crap, I forgot to check. Well if it's not there, then I probably haven't put it on the list :blush: Sowwy :giggle:

Yes, they should have asked permission AND sent a postcard!

YEAH! And books! :D

Yesterday I finished The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst for the February RC.  I haven't seen any mention of anyone else reading it though so I hope I won't be discussing it with only myself! 

I haven't gotten around to the Alan Hollinghurst book yet, the temperatures have been rather too low for me so haven't felt like walking to the library to borrow the book.. But there's still time :)

I finished Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck earlier this week.  I wish I'd tried his books earlier, he's a brilliant writer.

I take it that you enjoyed Sweet Thursday then? :)

I finished Jonathan Tropper's This Is Where I Leave You yesterday, it was thoroughly enjoyable and readable! I've now started Cuckoo by Julia Crouch.

Yesterday I finished The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst for the February RC.  :)  I haven't seen any mention of anyone else reading it though so I hope I won't be discussing it with only myself!  

I've just started Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner which I downloaded recently after seeing a poster advertising a new Ray Winstone TV production of it... only to discover it's already been broadcast, and was on Sky, which we don't have. 

I've started it Janet so you wont be on your own  :smile:

We watched it & although i liked Ray Winstone it wasn't that great so you didn't miss much  :D

Just finished reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Stayed up all night reading it because I had to get to the end.

I've added this to my wishlist...... luckily my library has a copy  :smile:

I recorded that over Christmas, and finally got to watch the first episode last night - it wasn't very good, you didn't miss much, Janet 

Agreed..... i thought the first part was the best of the two  :smile:

Hello everyone.. it's been quite a few days since I last post something.. I'm soo so sorry. You all seem to have some nice books under your noses.. well well.. I'm so happy for you. I'm currently reading The Door - Magda Szabò for my reading circle and the biography of Malala Yousafzai for my pleasure. Some other italian writers are in my desk too, some are really good, but I'm afraid they're not translated in english, and it's a shame because one of them in particular is really gifted and talented: he can build up hard characters with hard lives in a sweet soft way your heart is somehow soothed by them. He's called Mauro Corona, but I really don't think you've heard of him.

Hi Eleonora, i hope you are well  :friends3:

I've just finished the book and I really enjoyed it - a rollicking read! I had a look at the trailer of the Sky production on You Tube and was surprised to see that John is clearly in his early 20s - he's about 14 or 15 in the book!  

Good to hear ..... do you think it would be too old for a child? I thought i'd try reading it too my youngest two who are 9 & 7  :smile:

I'm so happy you liked the book! =) I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it

I haven't gotten around to the Alan Hollinghurst book yet, the temperatures have been rather too low for me so haven't felt like walking to the library to borrow the book.. But there's still time

I shall post a review soon i promise  :D

I'm feel the same when it's cold out i just want to stay indoors where it's nice & warm  :coolsnow:

I ditched the Dorothy Koomson book, i usually prefer to stick with my book group reads so i can at least say why i didn' t like it but couldn't even make it to 50 pages with this one. So i've made a start on The Line Of Beauty Alan Hollinghurst for next months reading circle & am about 100 pages in  :smile:

:D The good thing is that you don't have to be able to control yourself, the library will do that for you, eventually, when they run out of money! :lol:

I'm very curious about the Sophie Divry book, I hope it turns out to be great! :)

I like to keep the library staff busy, and it should keep my local library going, rather than closing it down. Blimey, no library - that would we unthinkable!

The Library of Unrequited Love (synopsis from Amazon UK)

One morning a librarian finds a reader who has been locked in overnight. She starts to talk to him, a one-way conversation that soon gathers pace as an outpouring of frustrations, observations and anguishes. Two things shine through: her shy, unrequited passion for a quiet researcher named Martin, and an ardent and absolute love of books.

I hope it is good,  as it sounds right up my street, book-wise nerd that I am  :smile:

It reminded of the case of the guy who broke into your local library! :giggle2:

I haven't gotten around to the Alan Hollinghurst book yet, the temperatures have been rather too low for me so haven't felt like walking to the library to borrow the book.. But there's still time :)

It's okay - I was having a little panic, but there are another 10 days before I need to open the thread. :)

I've started it Janet so you wont be on your own :smile:

We watched it & although i liked Ray Winstone it wasn't that great so you didn't miss much :D

That's good to know - on both counts! :)

Good to hear ..... do you think it would be too old for a child? I thought i'd try reading it too my youngest two who are 9 & 7  :smile:

I think it would be fine for those ages. There is a little bit of violence in it, but it's mostly implied and nothing too terrible (although there are some killings, but again, they're not graphic at all). Although it wasn't written as a children's book it has been published by Puffin. :)

Couldn't sleep last night so started a new book, but wanted something easy, so read Lady Margery's Intrigue by M. C. Beaton, and finished it during my lunch break.  Not sure what to read next, so off to have a wander through my books and Kindle to see what grabs me. :smile2:

Ooooh- you have a great read ahead of you!  It was my first King, in fact.

Yes it is a good book, ive read it before. Theres an introduction from Stephen King at the beginning of the book explaining why he wrote as Richard Bachman & also says that he sent The Long Walk to publishers in 1967 and got it back with no reply. Bet they were kicking themselves when they went bankrupt.

I've tentatively started on The Program by Suzanne Young, which is (another!) YA dystopian novel. I still want something a tad different before jumping into the rest of the Unwind series (though I am reading the short story Unstrung alongside The Program.) So far it's good enough, though the quality of the writing leaves quite a bit to be desired (and that's saying something, I'll read any old trash!)

I've tentatively started on The Program by Suzanne Young, which is (another!) YA dystopian novel. I still want something a tad different before jumping into the rest of the Unwind series (though I am reading the short story Unstrung alongside The Program.) So far it's good enough, though the quality of the writing leaves quite a bit to be desired (and that's saying something, I'll read any old trash!)

Have you read any of Barbara Kingsolver's YA?  Try The Bean Trees or Animal Dreams... it's geared to a High School audience, not about the end of the world, quick reads and no cheesy romance lol

Edited by Anna Begins