Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Rage a Richard Bachman book?  Ya, its in The Bachman Books: Four Early Novels.  It's $11 on Amazon here.  I have a copy and all 4 are good.

Anyway, I can recommend 112263 next :readingtwo:

I finished The Secret History today. I think I'll start The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett next, on Frankie's recommendation. :)

Looking forward to hearing what you thought of it Kylie, i really enjoyed The Uncommon Reader but then i just love Alan Bennett  :D

I plan to read The Uncommon Reader next month during the read-a-thon, I hope you enjoy it, Kylie :).

Good choice  :D

I finished Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont , such a good read i shall definitely be reading more of Elizabeth Taylor's books  :smile:  I'm also nearly finished Longbourn  Jo Baker, only 80 pages to go  :readingtwo:

This is a library that should be located near you in Napa County. Just join the library and get a library card then you will be able to visit their website and download, free of charge, any e-book that they have. Access the following site, and under catalogs click on e-books. Then do a search for any author or book and either download or put a "hold" on the book.

http://www.countyofnapa.org/library/

LOVE you! Thanks so much!

No problem, happy to help. I hope you are able to join the library and access some books for free that are on your current and future list. As I mentioned, I read 60 books that I downloaded from the library last year at no cost. Good luck.

I finished The Nine Lives Of Montezuma, it was an essay and enjoyable read. Even with his less accomplished novels, they're always such a pleasure to read.

Started Being Henry David, like The 5th Wave, it started out with great promise, took an unexpected turn and now I'm not too sure about it. It's quite short though so I'll keep going.

No problem, happy to help. I hope you are able to join the library and access some books for free that are on your current and future list. As I mentioned, I read 60 books that I downloaded from the library last year at no cost. Good luck.

I can't figure out how to private message on this thing...how long can you keep the books and what kind of cover do you have?  I just have a standard one but I like the Otterbox cases.  I wish they had ones that would turn the fire off when the cover is closed, like the one I had for my paperwhite.

Anyone else feel free to chip in about cases- a have a 7 inch Fire (although now I want the 8.9 that's on sale atm)

Edited by Anna Begins

Finished Being Henry David - gave it 3/5 stars, review here.

As for my current reading, I started Unwind by Neal Shusterman last night - and I am absolutely loving it, so I am hoping - HOPING - it just continues being as good.

Premise: It is set in a future where the result of A) not enough organ donors and B) the pro-choicers versus the pro-lifers has led to something called the Bill Of Life - which proctects all newborns up to the age of thirteen, at which point (until eighteen) their parents may choose to unwind them - a process which dismantles the original person but never actually kills them because all the parts continue living as donor parts. Sounds crazy, but when you start reading how it's delinquints and disappointments that are unwound, you start to see how society might actually buy into such craziness, to give each human a chance at life and then weed out the 'crappy ones' for the sake of 'better' ones. It's horrific, but fascinating.

Story: The story revolves around three kids, each raised in a different setting which results from the bill - one kid being unwound by his parents, one kid raised in a State home (legal establishments protecting unwanted babies until 13 years) and one kid from a religious family who was raised as a tithe - a kid raised specifically to be unwound at 13, because this is seen to be the ultimate sacrifice/charity donation - giving yourself up for the lives of others. The three kids run away together to avoid being unwound (sort of) and hey presto, we have a story.

In short, awesome. Probably not for the faint of heart. But awesome. So far. (Please let the awesome continue, Mr. Shusterman!)

I'm just over the halfway point, and I'm really enjoying it. I wasn't expecting too much from it either so it's a very nice surprise. :smile:

Yep, a nice surprise! :) A few of us talked about the book a few years ago... Possibly when I'd written a review on the book. Harris has written another novel, Gillespie & I, and I think someone on here was going to read it... Let me know if you're planning on reading that, too :)

I finished The Secret History today. I think I'll start The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett next, on Frankie's recommendation. :)

Yay! :D For both pieces of book news! Although I saw your rating of TUR, I suppose you didn't like it quite as much as I did... I hope it wasn't a waste of your time!

I finished Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont , such a good read i shall definitely be reading more of Elizabeth Taylor's books  :smile:  I'm also nearly finished Longbourn  Jo Baker, only 80 pages to go  :readingtwo:

Happy to hear you liked Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont! :smile2: I so wish to like the book, for some reason...

I finished Vaudeville! last night in bed, and re-started and finally finished Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops. I then started reading Kati in America by Astrid Lindgren. I feel like mojo and I are good buddies these days :smile2:

Unwind looks interesting Noll. I may see if Waterstones have it today.. :)

Awesome, let me know if you get it!! I'm a third of the way through and still thoroughly enjoying it - and it's the first in a series, so I'm hoping it does continue being good.

Happy to hear you liked Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont! :smile2: I so wish to like the book, for some reason...

I've just added that title to my wishlist as I've heard a few people talking about it and though it's not my usual fare, I also really want to like it for some reason!

I plan to read The Uncommon Reader next month during the read-a-thon, I hope you enjoy it, Kylie :).

I enjoyed it well enough. It will make a good read-a-thon book because it's so short. :)

Yay! :D For both pieces of book news! Although I saw your rating of TUR, I suppose you didn't like it quite as much as I did... I hope it wasn't a waste of your time!

No, it wasn't a waste of time at all! I thought it was a sweet book.

I finished Vaudeville! last night in bed, and re-started and finally finished Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops. I then started reading Kati in America by Astrid Lindgren. I feel like mojo and I are good buddies these days :smile2:

Yay! Both of our mojos have returned! They must have been on holidays together (naughty things for not taking us with them :().

I started and finished Lady into Fox today, and now I'm starting a book that Frankie gave me for Christmas: Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjornsen. :)

No, it wasn't a waste of time at all! I thought it was a sweet book.

It was, wasn't it? :smile2: (And I think it's on my recommends list? Cross that one off, you can :D)

Yay! Both of our mojos have returned! They must have been on holidays together (naughty things for not taking us with them :().

I know, them evil maniacs! They could've at least sent a postcard, saying where they were... I would've been more forgiving to mine if I'd known he was hanging out with yours...! :D

I started and finished Lady into Fox today, and now I'm starting a book that Frankie gave me for Christmas: Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjornsen. :)

Oh dear, now I can't sit still! I really really hope you like the book!! :hide:  :giggle:

Awesome, let me know if you get it!! I'm a third of the way through and still thoroughly enjoying it - and it's the first in a series, so I'm hoping it does continue being good.

I couldn't find it in town so have ordered it from Amazon, hopefully my kids might like it too. :)

just added that title to my wishlist as I've heard a few people talking about it and though it's not my usual fare, I also really want to like it for some reason!

I have this and two of her others on my TBR shelf, a gift from a friend, I was planning to read at least one of them this month but I'll have to see how it goes as I don't have much reading time at present and The Secret History is taking me a while to get through.

Edited by chaliepud

I've just added that title to my wishlist as I've heard a few people talking about it and though it's not my usual fare, I also really want to like it for some reason!

Well i hope you both enjoy it as much as i did  :D

I finished Longbourn  Jo Baker last night it was such a good read but i shall put together a review on it soon. This morning i started my bookgroup read The Rose Petal Beach  Dorothy Koomson, i'm not very far into it but already i can't wait to get to the end so i can start something else  :banghead:

I'm still working my way through All Creatures Great and Small but loving every word. Got my next book group book and it's Dark Matter by Michelle Paver, which I've heard is quite scary, so I'm a little nervous! :hide:

I did find Dark Matter scary Claire, very dark and foreboding, but I am a wimp for things like that and Steve was working away when I read it! :D very good though.

I did find Dark Matter scary Claire, very dark and foreboding, but I am a wimp for things like that and Steve was working away when I read it! :D very good though.

Oh no, that's what I was worried about! I'm a real scaredy cat so I'll make sure I'm not on my own when I read it :giggle2: