Frankie reads 2014

frankie

What a coincidence! I mean it's rather small in the great scheme of things, but I always get a nice kick out of these little things :) Don't you just love it when this kind of thing happens?

I love that too! I can't think of any examples from my own life, you're right, we should really write these things down, but I've had these things too in the past. It was very interesting to read your post :).

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Athena! :) I'm sure it happens to everyone. It would be interesting to read other members' 'connections' sometimes! :) I think it adds to the overall reading experience. Even if it seems only something very little and trivial. I like those kinds of things :blush: 

I'm was very pleased when The Goldfinch won the Nobel Prize for literature this year, Frankie.  I hope the second reading goes better for you, Kidsmum! :)

I always write those kind of coincidences down because they are so freaky to me!  It would be one thing for the person to get a regular old Magnum but to get a white chocolate one just like you, that's crazy!  About a month ago I was sitting on the sofa with my book and got distracted by something on the TV when my mom yelled "Emma!" to her dog (that's her name) and at that moment I looked down at my book and the first thing I read?  "Emma!"  :lol:  I was reading The Hollow City and one of the characters in it is named Emma. 

I about died.

I'm was very pleased when The Goldfinch won the Nobel Prize for literature this year, Frankie.  I hope the second reading goes better for you, Kidsmum! :)

It did?! I didn't even know! :blush::D I don't know what your stand is regarding the other Nobel Prize books but at least now you can say 'for once the jury got it right!' :lol:

I always write those kind of coincidences down because they are so freaky to me!  It would be one thing for the person to get a regular old Magnum but to get a white chocolate one just like you, that's crazy!  About a month ago I was sitting on the sofa with my book and got distracted by something on the TV when my mom yelled "Emma!" to her dog (that's her name) and at that moment I looked down at my book and the first thing I read?  "Emma!"  :lol:  I was reading The Hollow City and one of the characters in it is named Emma. 

I about died.

It was so freaky because like you said, it was the exact same Magnum, and I can't remember when the last time was that I bought an ice cream. It's probably been a few years.

I should start writing these things down like you, even though it takes a bit of effort and time. Do you write them down in a special notebook or in a diary or...? If you come up with other stuff, I'd love to hear! :)

That's so freaky about the Emma business :D It's almost like the book was calling out to you, to continue to read it. And it commanded you to put your eyes on the word 'Emma' first :D Good stuff! 

I have a little notebook I keep in my desk at work, Frankie, but I need to carry one with me in my bag at all times because otherwise I forgot to write things down!

I will keep you posted on any other freaky coincidences ;)

Although I loathe 'tubbed' books, I will look through them, cos there are books in there that might need me to rescue them! :D

I was in the charity shop this afternoon & they had a plastic crate of half price books stacked standing up so you couldn't see the covers i had a look through them but most of them were Star Wars books & the Fifty Shades series but nearly the last book i pulled out was Burial Rites by Hannah Kent , i couldn't believe my luck , i ummed & aahed about buying this when i was in Waterstones & in the end i left it... so glad i did now. So now i'm a convert to Chrissy's way of thinking, never again will i leave tubbed books unexplored  :D

Well done Kidsmum :D!

Frankie, something happened yesterday that I thought you might want to know about :). I was reading my book, Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, and there were a few lines in it about a vineyard. Just after I read them I looked up. My boyfriend was playing Grand Theft Auto V and just entered an area called Vinewood Hills. I thought this was nice :). I thought about you straight away after. I guess these things might happen more often than we realise.

I have a little notebook I keep in my desk at work, Frankie, but I need to carry one with me in my bag at all times because otherwise I forgot to write things down!

I will keep you posted on any other freaky coincidences 

My book note book it size A5 so I'm not comfortable with always having it with me, so I think a little notebook would be more convenient... But then I'd feel compelled to write the notes from the smaller notebook into the bigger one ... :D

Keep me posted! :smile2: 

I was in the charity shop this afternoon & they had a plastic crate of half price books stacked standing up so you couldn't see the covers i had a look through them but most of them were Star Wars books & the Fifty Shades series but nearly the last book i pulled out was Burial Rites by Hannah Kent , i couldn't believe my luck , i ummed & aahed about buying this when i was in Waterstones & in the end i left it... so glad i did now. So now i'm a convert to Chrissy's way of thinking, never again will i leave tubbed books unexplored  

That's one of those awesome charity shop book hunt moments :D Good job, Kidsmum! I think that book is actually on my wishlist, I'll keep my eye out for your review when you get to it :) 

Frankie, something happened yesterday that I thought you might want to know about. I was reading my book, Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, and there were a few lines in it about a vineyard. Just after I read them I looked up. My boyfriend was playing Grand Theft Auto V and just entered an area called Vinewood Hills. I thought this was nice. I thought about you straight away after. I guess these things might happen more often than we realise.

Aww, so sweet that you thought of me :blush: Unfortunately I don't know much about GTA, is the Vinewood Hills area a vineyard? 

Yeah I guess these things happen more often then one would think! :) Gives a nice jolt everytime, though :) 

The Line of Beauty

by Alan Hollinghurst

post-4458-0-15073100-1402053701_thumb.jpg

From themanbookerprize.com: It is the summer of 1983, and young Nick Guest has moved into an attic room in the Notting Hill home of the Feddens: Gerald, an ambitious new Tory MP, his wealthy wife Rachel, and their children.

As the boom-years of the mid-80s unfold, Nick, an innocent in matters of politics and money, becomes caught up in the Feddens’ world, with its grand parties, its holidays in the Dordogne, its parade of monsters both comic and threatening. An affair with a young black clerk gives him his first experience of romance; but it is a later affair, with a beautiful millionaire, that will change his life more drastically and bring into question the larger fantasies of a ruthless decade.

Thoughts: I read this for the February Reading Circle. I've been curious about Hollinghurst for a few years now because his The Swimming-Pool Library is on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -list, and just the title alone has always grabbed me :D I always thought it would be a difficult book to read, though, and so I have been intimidated by Hollinghurst all these years...

It took me a while to get into The Line of Beauty. I remember wondering if things were going to pick up and if the plot might soon start to thicken throughout the first 50 pages or so, while trucking along, feeling the heavyness. After 50 pages I realized my expectations were probably not going to be met, but at that point I'd gotten so far in the novel I felt like I'd invested too much to stop at that point.

The book was too descriptive for my liking. The paintings and architecture and party decorations, and all the high brow people were thoroughly examined and it was rather exhausting at times. But at the same time, I couldn't stop reading. It's not like I liked any of the characters (I think I disliked most of them) or there was all that much happening, but I wanted to know what the outcome was going to be. I like it when classes mix and that part was interesting for me. This reminds me, I was reading an article about Finland yesterday, it was an article about the five things which makes us Finns stupid. One of them was low hierarchy: foreigners are apparently amazed how a CEO will be queuing for coffee in the same line as a regular employee, in Finland. For me this is odd: where do you queue for the coffee if not in the line? Should CEOs have their own line next to the common man? (Yes, I'm oversimplifying this.) Personally I'm I'm very class unaware, and I think most Finns are. So to me, class hierarchy is a curiosity and therefore highly fascinating.

I don't think I've read any books about homosexuality and homosexuals set in the era when HIV became a 'thing'. Unfortunately it's been too long since I've read the book to clearly remember if that part of the novel was dealt in a satisfactory way. In hindsight, going by my gut feeling I think I would say I would've wished the issue to have been discussed in more detail, but then I have a feeling the author didn't want to, for some reason or another. Maybe he meant to discuss it realistically, and not draw all the focus on it and to make it into a sensation seeking sob story.

All in all, even though I now look back at what I've written and see I've mostly talked about the things I didn't like in the book instead of the things I did like, I did enjoy reading the novel and if I could give halfs, I would've given the book 3,5 instead of 3. Sometimes it's just easier to pinpoint what one didn't like about a novel than to describe what one liked about it.

I will definitely read more of Hollinghurst's novels in the future :smile2: 

3/5

Eevan luokka

by Mary Marck

This is an old Finnish girls' book, much like Louisa M. Alcott's Little Women in style and ambiance, although this book doesn't date as far back, and the book is about the students of a particular class, not people in one family. I've read Marck's other novels and I've always enjoyed them very much. I found this copy at the library's free book trolley and was very happy to have it :)

4/5

-----

Kaffe med musik 

by Karin Brunk Holmqvist 

My second book by Karin Brunk Holmqvist. The previous one was about two old sisters living together in their childhood's home and coming up with a recipe for a potency cure. I loved the book and was only too happy to read another novel by the same author. In this novel, three old friends win a trip to Germany. On that trip they come across with a lot of different characters and events, and they do a bit of soul searching.

Not perhaps too original a story, but it was a nice comfort read, and a bit of Swedish practice for me.

3/5

-----

The Pursuit of Love

by Nancy Mitford 

From Bookdepository: Longing for love, obsessed with weddings and sex, Linda and her sisters and cousin Fanny are on lookout for the perfect lover. But finding Mr Right is much harder than any of the sisters had thought. Linda must suffer marriage first to a stuffy Tory MP and then to a handsome and humourless communist, before finding real love in war-torn Paris...

Thoughts: I remember absolutely nothing about the novel :blush: So embarrassing! It wasn't my type of book, really. I think the tone was too subtly, I don't think I got most of the (possible) jokes etc. :blush:

3/5 

#28 and #29

Eclipse and Breaking Dawn

by Stephenie Meyer

I don't think these books need an introduction. The people who read the series know what it's about and the people who don't, are probably ones who are not going to read the series anyway... :D

I can't believe it's taken me so long to get to these books. Thinking back, I can't remember what prompted me to buy Twilight the novel in the first place. I honestly can't remember. But it was back in 2008. I read the book and loved it :blush: And watched the movie, and loved it :blush: I also bought New Moon and read and loved that one, too. I think Eclipse had already been published at that point (?) but they didn't have any copies of it at the bookstore so I had to wait. And wait. When I finally got a copy, it was almost time til Breaking Dawn was published, so I decided to wait until I had a copy of that one as well before I started with Eclipse. But then time happened, life happened, other books happened, memory loss happened. I couldn't remember the difference between Rosalie and that other woman, and Emmett and Jasper. How were they all connected? So I decided I needed to re-read both Twilight and New Moon before I could get to the last two novels.... And it's taken me til 2014 to do so :D

Eclipse. I'm having serious problems remembering anything about it. Damn! I think it's my least favorite of the series, but I think some of it has to do with me having trouble finding time to read the book at the time. I think the story was as strong as in the previous novels. But it didn't capture me in the same way. It was still a good read. 3/5

Breaking Dawn. I have the hardback and it's one big book! To my great annoyance, I did know one spoiler about the book: that

Bella was married to Edward

. And so I had put 1+1 together and realized that

Bella will become a vampire

. I didn't like that twist originally but I think in the book it worked. It was fine by me. (I'm actually surprised how that's the only spoiler I've come across! It could've been worse)

The book was so weird in some ways. It was like Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix: 100 pages of this and that and setting the scene. Until things start to pick up pace. At times I was frustrated by this, and at times I thought it's actually nice, that we get to read more about the characters and more normal stuff. But it felt a bit inconsistent. And yet I liked it. This is hard! :D To like or not to like...

Well,

the pregnancy

was a big surprise to me and kudos to Meyer on that. Although I have to say I wanted to slap Bella a few times.... :blush::giggle: I also didn't see

Jacob becoming attached to the little kid

... That was funny :D I have to admit, it was laugh out loud funny. I loved how the different characters reacted to it and also how Bella came around in the end :) I guess she's not all that bad!

I think I'd read before that some people were majorly disappointed with how the book ended. And I do see why. But for some reason I didn't mind. I guess it was such a long book and I was already

tired of all the fights that I was just happy I didn't have to read another (poorly written) attack scene.

:giggle2:

I liked this book more than Eclipse. I think it was a fine ending to a fine series. 4/5

The Blue Nowhere

by Jeffery Deaver 

Blurb: Imagine yourself in a bar. A man approaches you. He doesn't seem familiar but he knows your past, your job, your hobbies and your ex-boyfriend's name. You go for a drink.

This is your first – and last – mistake. You're the latest victim of the latest killer. A man who can rip away the thin carapace protecting the secrets of your life – before ending it.

Thoughts: This is the first standalone Jeffery Deaver novel I've read. My Jeffery Deaver appreciation is definitely due to some of the members on here. Sadly some of them are no longer active on here :( We had a lot of fun, us Deaverettes. My first ever Deaver novel was the first book in the Lincoln Rhyme series and I was hooked. When I finished it, I was scared to read the next novel in the series because I was sure there was no way Deaver could write a better novel than that. But I was so very wrong! Coffin Dancer was brilliant and it blew my mind :o

Oh but I was to talk about this standalone novel. Initially I was only interested in the Lincoln Rhyme -series, but when Ceinwenn and Charm couldn't get over The Blue Nowhere, I knew I had to read the book.

I like it how the novel starts. A woman engages in a conversation with a man she's supposed to know. If this was a movie, the viewer would know not to trust the man and would scream at the woman to not go with him. And this isn't much of a spoiler, because it all happens very fast in the beginning and it's in the blurb. What happens then is up for you to read.

As much as the book was a pageturner, I wasn't totally engrossed. It's difficult to write a book that deals with technology, because at the time of publication it's all new stuff and the readers are mostly going to be happy that the things are explained in the novel. This book however is already more than a decade old and the explanations were a bit too detailed for me. I know this is not Deaver's fault per se though, it's the times we live in. Techy times!

In addition, I wasn't feeling the characters as much as I'd hoped. And quite frankly, some of the computer stuff bored me. I know it was elemental to the book, because it was a book about computers and the net and what one can make with it all, but I suppose it's not my kind of crime. I guess I'm more of a people person, not a gadget person, if that makes sense.

It was still a good novel and there were twists to it I didn't see coming (and my own guesses at things were way off mark), but I think it was, for me, rather forgettable. But I guess it's also to do with the fact that I don't think any of that could happen to me. But that's how it always goes: you never think A, B or C could happen to you until it does, and then it's a whole different ball game and you pay more attention and want to prevent these things and make other people more aware of them. I guess if my computer now breaks down and the police will come at my door after posting this review, I will know it was all true and I was arrogant to think I'm untouchable :D

3/5

When you mentioned the Deaverettes no longer around, I immediately thought of Ceinwenn and Charm. *sigh*

I read The Blue Nowhere quite a while ago, but I can only remember that it gave me that uncomfortable feeling of 'OMG, what if that happened to me?'. Beyond that I can't recall much about it. Oops!

If you fancy a different stand alone from Mr Deaver, a fave of mine is 'A Maiden's Grave' - I like the main characters.

When you mentioned the Deaverettes no longer around, I immediately thought of Ceinwenn and Charm. *sigh*

I know! I think Ceinwenn and Charm were the biggest Deaverettes. I do remember you being there, too, though!  :friends3:   Those were the days... Chrissy, what on earth happened? Why did it all fade away? :( I know life gets in the way, but it's like it happened to so many wonderful people at the same time! They've left a big empty space in here for us to stare at with nostalgic eyes... 

I read The Blue Nowhere quite a while ago, but I can only remember that it gave me that uncomfortable feeling of 'OMG, what if that happened to me?'. Beyond that I can't recall much about it. Oops!

You know, I don't know if it's because it's an American novel and it's all in English, but I feel like that couldn't really happen here... And I know I'm being naive. :rolleyes: I also somehow think I'm not interesting enough to get my computer hacked on, but the thing is they are not looking for interesting people to target, they are looking for easy targets!

If you fancy a different stand alone from Mr Deaver, a fave of mine is 'A Maiden's Grave' - I like the main characters.

Actually I have another Deaver review to write next (Praying for Sleep) and that was much better :) I do have a copy of A Maiden's Grave, though, so thanks for the rec! I think I will consider it as a possible next Deaver read. (It's the one with the deaf people, right? Oh crap, I just remembered my Mom has my copy!  :doh:  She borrowed it two years ago, never read it, but never returned it :D Well I can get it when I visit my parents next time...)

Oh and re: The Blue Nowhere. Ceinwenn talked about that book in the Most Disturbing Book You've Read - thread, and so I guess I thought it was going to be different. Because I think she and I had very different takes on what actually is disturbing: my recommendations in that thread include books where there are graphic violent things happening to people. And while people got murdered in TBN, I think Ceinwenn found the idea of the Internet hacking the disturbing thing, you know. 

It feels so odd and rather sad that I'm doing all these reviews in a very mixed order. I used to be more organized!  :wibbly:  :lol:

This is the latest book I read:

Susikoira Roi

by Jorma Kurvinen 

post-4458-0-20664600-1402085770_thumb.jpg

Synopsis: A boy finds a dog that the mean kids in town are stoning, and saves the dog from a sure death. He takes the dog home and starts taking care of him. But odd things start to happen: an unknown man is lurking around, trying to harm the dog. The boy investigates.... with the dog in tow.

Thoughts: This is a Finnish novel and I think it's somewhat of a classic. 'Susikoira' means German Shepherd and Roi is the name of the dog. I never knew about the book series as a kid, but I did see the show on TV. I don't know if it was a series, if there were as many episodes as there were books, but I remember seeing the film about this first novel. I remember it so vividly... Not all of it, but some scenes are like burned in my memory. I remember I was a small kid and I was very smitten with the boy who saved the dog... :blush: He was so incredibly cute and so gentle and nice and smart! And the dog, of course, was great, but I was afraid of German Shepherd's as a kid, so the focus was on the boy... :giggle:  I remember we had the movie/episode on Beta video!! :lol: It's really been that long... Yikes! 

It's odd how I didn't think until now to read the book(s). I guess my fear of German Shepherds as a kid was so deep rooted that even though I nowadays don't fear them a bit and quite like them, I've never come to think I could now read the books. The book itself was very nostalgic. The movie/episode was very true to the book, so when things happened in the book, I could see them how they were played in the movie... I can't honestly describe how nostalgic this read was for me. 

I have to show you a few pics. 

3c32820d303affe88692a44dd2fe639b.jpg

That's Roi and Tomi, the boy and the German Shepherd. The boy was played by Paavo Westerberg. Paavo Westerberg, in his late teens or so, also played Illi in this very popular Finnish TV series and I was very smitten with that character, too :wub:

594253.jpg

That's the cast of the series, Paavo Westerberg as Illi is the long haired guy. (There was also a black lab in the show, as you can see, and he could actually talk, but he only talked when the young girl on the right was with him and no one else.)

And then, zoom to me being in my thirties, having adored all the characters Paavo Westerberg has played and which I've seen: I meet my friend from high school after many many years, and she tells me she's been in the movie business and PW is actually really arrogant and hard to work with! :o:( There go my illusions.... Childhood has ended. 

Oh yeah, the book. Well it was good! Pretty intense stuff. I remember being really horrified by the events as a kid. Probably had nightmares :D But I turned out just fine, right? 

4/5

Edited by frankie

Aww, so sweet that you thought of me :blush: Unfortunately I don't know much about GTA, is the Vinewood Hills area a vineyard?

Not really. GTA takes place in a fictional town with also some mountains around it and more 'countryside' areas. The Vinewood Hills seemed an area in the town with some houses and streets, so I'm not sure why it's called that.

Great reviews! I've only read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn out of those. I don't remember much of Eclipse either and I thought Breaking Dawn was a better book, a lot of things happened in it. I'm glad you've been able to read some more books the past while, I know you had some mojo problems for some time. It's really interesting to read about these Finnish books and your experiences with them. When I was a child, I watched this TV show that had a German shepherd in it, I loved that TV show and the dog. But in real life I was afraid of dogs (later on though I wasn't anymore, once we had our own dog).

Glad to know Line of Beauty picks up. I'd tried starting it back when it was an RC choice here. Just couldn't get into it. I think I didn't give it a fair chance. Will down the road though.

Re the German Shepards.....always have been my favorite dog! A series that was on TV here when I was a child was Rin Tin Tin. It was great. Gorgeous and loyal dogs. I don't remember a time in my childhood that we didn't have a couple of dogs. :)

You are doing great reviews, frankie. Glad to see them!

Frankie, here's a nice doggy bookish moment I had on Saturday. I was reading outside and our dogs barked so I looked up to see if there was anything wrong. Then I look down again at the book I was reading, Mika Kawamura - Panic x Panic 2 (I think it was 2, it could've been one, I was reading one after the other in the garden), and the next line I read was "And then the dogs barked.". There is no mention of these dogs anywhere else in the book so it was pretty unique :).

Great reviews! I've only read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn out of those. I don't remember much of Eclipse either and I thought Breaking Dawn was a better book, a lot of things happened in it. I'm glad you've been able to read some more books the past while, I know you had some mojo problems for some time. It's really interesting to read about these Finnish books and your experiences with them. When I was a child, I watched this TV show that had a German shepherd in it, I loved that TV show and the dog. But in real life I was afraid of dogs (later on though I wasn't anymore, once we had our own dog).

Yep, mojo's definitely been cranky, but I won't complain, because I'm able to read YA books at least :) I think June's going to be most stressful month ever, so I'm prepared to lose my mojo, but hopefully July will be easier and I can finally relax a bit :) 

I'm happy we've both cured from out fear of German Shepherds / dogs in general!  :friends3:  I can't imagine how awful it would be to be afraid of dogs :no: 

Glad to know Line of Beauty picks up. I'd tried starting it back when it was an RC choice here. Just couldn't get into it. I think I didn't give it a fair chance. Will down the road though.

Re the German Shepards.....always have been my favorite dog! A series that was on TV here when I was a child was Rin Tin Tin. It was great. Gorgeous and loyal dogs. I don't remember a time in my childhood that we didn't have a couple of dogs.

You are doing great reviews, frankie. Glad to see them!

Pontalba, I can't promise that LoB picks up for everyone. I won't take the blame if it doesn't :D Good luck with the novel :) 

So that's three countries with kids shows with a German Shepherd... I wonder if there are more! German Shepherds are rather smart, too, and they are very handsome. I remember the first German Shepherd I wasn't afraid of, he was my Mum's second cousin's dog. He was a big silly one. I wasn't courageous enough to play with him as much as I would have with some other breed, but I remember liking him. He was goofy :smile2: 

Frankie, here's a nice doggy bookish moment I had on Saturday. I was reading outside and our dogs barked so I looked up to see if there was anything wrong. Then I look down again at the book I was reading, Mika Kawamura - Panic x Panic 2 (I think it was 2, it could've been one, I was reading one after the other in the garden), and the next line I read was "And then the dogs barked.". There is no mention of these dogs anywhere else in the book so it was pretty unique.

That's cool! :D Almost like reading a book with audio sounds :D 

A Street Cat Named Bob 

by James Bowen 

post-4458-0-13243300-1402403260_thumb.jpg

From Amazon: James is a street musician struggling to make ends meet. Bob is a stray cat looking for somewhere warm to sleep.

When James and Bob meet, they forge a never-to-be-forgotten friendship that has been charming readers from Thailand to Turkey.

Thoughts: I got wind of this book initially on here, through many members who've loved the book and recommended it. The notes on my wishlist entry for the title say that chaliepud, ashleighjane and poppyshake are the ones whose reviews or personal recommendations made me add the book to the list. Thank you gals! 

What a thoroughly enjoyable read! :smile2: I don't personally believe in destiny or things happening for a reason, but something was definitely up when these two met... :D James seems like such a nice person, and Bob is such a smart bighearted cutie! :wub: Even though I still find it very difficult to believe that he was named after

the Twin Peaks character...

:hide:   :lol:

And talk about book coincidences... James is a big Nirvana fan (as was I as a teenager, I still like the band but I'm not obsessed like I used to be :blush:), and he also plays Johnny Cash songs, especially the song Hurt, which was initially a Nine Inch Nails song. It was so great to read about this because just a few months ago I heard this song on the radio and it felt vaguely familiar, and it took me some time to realize the band was Nine Inch Nails, and then I googled the song and it was Hurt. The more odd thing is that I've heard this amazing song on the radio a few times now in the spring/summer, and I had to google which song it was and by whom. It was Johnny Cash and Hurt, again :D The versions are so uniquely different! But both are brilliant. It felt so great to see the song mentioned in the book :)

I'm too tired to write more about why I liked the book. And I noticed that someone has reserved a copy of it so I'm thinking I'm going to do them a favor and make it my business to take the book to the library today and not wait until I have to go anyways. So this was all very rushed :D

If you like cats, if you like non-fiction, if you like mis mems that aren't all too mis, read the book! :)

4/5 

Edited by frankie

Another bookish coincidence... :D I've just been to Facebook, I went to 'like' Street Cat Bob and James's Facebook page, and then I wanted to go through their pics. And then I saw one where they were posing with Jacqueline Wilson! And I wouldn't have known who she was, I would've thought it was just a 'normal', random person, had I not just recently done a search for Wilson's books on wikipedia and seen her picture :D I'm currently reading her book The Illustrated Mum :) (And enjoying it very much.)

I do have a copy of A Maiden's Grave, though, so thanks for the rec! I think I will consider it as a possible next Deaver read. (It's the one with the deaf people, right? Oh crap, I just remembered my Mom has my copy!  :doh:  She borrowed it two years ago, never read it, but never returned it :D Well I can get it when I visit my parents next time...)

I'll second the rec for A Maiden's Grave - I thought it was very good.  It's the only Deaver I've read so far, though, so I can't compare it to any of his others :smile:

Yay for James and Streetcat Bob :D I saw that pic with Jacqueline too :)  Glad you enjoyed the book frankie ... what a great little puss cat. I do love ginger cats (no offence Molly :D)

I am slightly wary of German Shepherd Dogs  :blush2: That is .. I would have to know the dog to be comfy around it. If one barks at me I am about 90% more scared than if a labrador does the same thing. This is partly to do with me being a custard and partly to do with the dog's reputation (in the 70's/80's mainly .. they were the medias terror dog of choice .. then it passed to the Rottweiler and on to the Pitbull) all probably very unfair on the dog because they are individuals like the rest of us but you can't always rid your mind of the scare stories and I have had an encounter with an aggressive German Shepherd dog (which had more to do with the owner than anything.) I am afraid of dogs I guess though we always had them when I was growing up (just mutts .. of no specific breed :blush2:) I'm aware of their power over me should they choose to exercise it  :D 

I've sometimes wondered if dogs don't like spots  :D this may be where I'm going wrong. I've found out that they often don't like umbrellas ... trust me to live in England  :D 

There's that old story too about dogs knowing if you're scared of them .. that's not helpful. I'm always thinking a dog can smell my fear :hide:  :D