Alexi's Reading 2014

Alexi

#40 Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Synopsis: Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character who ,if provoked, is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp, yet always polite, 18th-century wit. The real point of the book though, the critical question which will keep you fixated throughout, is: will Elizabeth and Mr Darcy hook up? Read this genuine all-time classic and discover the answer while enjoying a story that has charmed generation after generation. (Amazon)

Thoughts: I was extremely nervous in starting this book. Pride and Prejudice is a book I'm not only "supposed to" have read, but also "supposed to" enjoy - or at least, so I felt. I was nervous I would hate it!

I shouldn't have been, I was enraptured. The first few chapters are a bit of a struggle but in the end I felt myself rushing to get to the end to find out what happened, then when I got to the end I was disappointed it was over - always the hallmark of an excellent novel in my opinion!

I'm not sure I need to explain what goes on here. Even those who haven't read it have a vague idea of the synopsis, and really, most of the book is predictable from a few pages in, but the writing is gorgeous, the characters pop out of the book and the dialogue is witty. 

I did like the character of the long-suffering Mr Bennet, who seems so utterly mismatched with his wife, who I took an instant dislike to! I also found the constrast between the sisters, particularly Jane and Elizabeth, compared to Kitty and Lydia, and then Mary rather on her own extremely interesting and well plotted. 

I must say, I don't see the fuss with Mr Darcy at all - but then, I haven't seen the BBC version ;) 

Just wonderful.

5/5

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#41 Scottish Independence: Weighing up the Economics by Gavin McCrone

Synopsis: In autumn 2014 those living in Scotland will face the most important political decision of a lifetime. Whether Scotland becomes an independent state once again, as it was before 1707, or remains within the United Kingdom will have profound consequences for everyone in Britain. There are many issues involved in this important choice, but a key part of the debate centres around the question of whether Scotland would prosper more or less after independence. How well off are we? Would we have a faster or slower growing economy if we were independent? What currency would we use – the pound, the euro or a new currency of our own? What should our energy policy be? There are those who would like to see a more egalitarian society, like Scandinavia, with a reduction in poverty and deprivation; would we be likely to achieve that? Would we continue to be in the European Union but with Scotland becoming a member in its own right? Is that right for Scotland and what problems might that involve? In this impartial, clearly expressed and thought-provoking book, economist Gavin McCrone addresses these, and many other, questions which are of vital importance in the run up to the referendum.

Thoughts; I was forced to move this up the TBR before it becomes a tad irrelevant - Scotland goes to the polls next month to decide the issue for itself. 

I lived in Scotland for three years, so I have plenty of friends on both sides of the border who have strong views on this issue. Interestingly, I know two sets of people determined to move south should independence happen, and two people determined to vote yes (although they cannot vote) because of everything that is wrong with Westminster - although they choose to live and work in London. 

McCrone is an economist who has served both the UK government and devolved Scottish Parliament. He prides himself on an unbiased view and I think he succeeds. He sets out the issues, including some you may not have considered such as the importance of renewable energy separate from the issue of North Sea oil and gas, as well as the usual - benefits, oil, currency. 

It's done in a simple style that most people will understand and follow - although I think some prior knowledge of economics and politics helps. I, living in England, will not be voting, but having read this I feel much more informed on my own position, and understanding and getting more out of the literature that is modified to suit whichever side is handing it out. 

4/5

I shouldn't have been, I was enraptured. The first few chapters are a bit of a struggle but in the end I felt myself rushing to get to the end to find out what happened, then when I got to the end I was disappointed it was over - always the hallmark of an excellent novel in my opinion!

I was exactly the same … the first time I read it, it was my first Austen, and I found the language difficult to start with, but like you, after a few chapters, you get into the rhythm and style, and you're away! :D

I'm not sure I need to explain what goes on here. Even those who haven't read it have a vague idea of the synopsis, and really, most of the book is predictable from a few pages in, but the writing is gorgeous, the characters pop out of the book and the dialogue is witty.

I love how witty it is - I find something new with each re-read too, and it's definitely one of the books that makes me chuckle and titter out loud. :giggle2:

I did like the character of the long-suffering Mr Bennet, who seems so utterly mismatched with his wife, who I took an instant dislike to! I also found the constrast between the sisters, particularly Jane and Elizabeth, compared to Kitty and Lydia, and then Mary rather on her own extremely interesting and well plotted.

Now, Mrs Bennet is an interesting character. I initially found her dislikable too, but over the years, she's grown on me - that's partially been based on some film and TV adaptations, but also after reading Letters to Alice: On First Reading Jane Austen by Fay Weldon, it gave me a completely different view of her character and a better appreciation of her and her role in that period of society. Probably one to keep for after you read more Austen books, but if you do (which based on your enjoyment of this one, it looks like you will), I would highly recommend it. :)

I must say, I don't see the fuss with Mr Darcy at all - but then, I haven't seen the BBC version ;)

Watch it. I promise you, you'll fall in love with him. It's pretty faithful to the book and simply gorgeous.

Just wonderful.

5/5

I heartily concur with your assessment! :smile2:

You've been reading through a lot of great books again! :smile2: You are certainly adding to my wishlist :D

#17 Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome 

I read this as a child, so it was a revisit for me, and I remember loving it although many of the salient details had escaped me. My Grandad used to sail on Lake Windemere in Cumbria, and I remember going with him as a small child before he sold the boat, so this also has some ties for me.

That's so great that you have this special connection to the location! Makes a real difference in reading the book.

It's a simple story of an arguably simpler time - set in 1929. No iPads here, just four kids and a boat and some tents. (I did wonder if they ever got bored, which probably a sign I too am a modern child, but I admit I didn't think they took enough books!) The four children are given permission to go and camp by themselves on the island, and they get on remarkably well for siblings who employ a hierarchy system, with the older ones having the authority to tell the younger two what to do.

Don't you just love a good story from the olden golden days? When everything was innocent and wholesome and safe but fun fun fun? :wub:

I've read reviews of the book throughout my years on here, I think it's time to add the book to my actual wishlist!

#26 The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West

Synopsis: Set during World War I on an isolated country estate just outside London, Rebecca West’s haunting novel The Return of the Soldier follows Chris Baldry, a shell-shocked captain suffering from amnesia, as he makes a bittersweet homecoming to the three women who have helped shape his life. Will the devoted wife he can no longer recollect, the favorite cousin he remembers only as a childhood friend, and the poor innkeeper’s daughter he once courted leave Chris to languish in a safe, dreamy past—or will they help him recover his memory so that he can return to the front?(Goodreads)

Thoughts: Wow. I adored this book. The prose is simply gorgeous, and the plot fascinating - and apparently this is the first book about the Great War written by a woman (published 1918).

My initial thoughts were not good, with the opening scenes showing two of the main characters behaving in an extremely snobbish manner towards a third, simply because she is poor and they rich. It seems sad (and yet oh so realistic) that not even a major war can make people reevaluate their priorities. I hated these two characters throughout, but that never spoiled my enjoyment.

This is a novella (100 pages) but West packs a lot in, although I did feel sad when I reached the end - simply because I had enjoyed it so much!

But gosh, it's an emotional tearjerker! Chris is sent home not knowing his wife Kitty, yet is still in love with Margaret, who he courted as a young man before being called away to Mexico. It is revealed there is unfinished business between them, which complicates matters for Margaret. But while Chris lives in a happy world of youth, with no memories of war or death that have blighted the past 15 years, his wife is desperate for him to regain those memories and return to "normal".

In some ways this is a moral dilemma - what would you do? Return your husband to misery, but where he loves you (at least in theory), or let him live unencumbered by the horrors of recent times, but having no interest in restoring your relationship?

West's writing style is utterly delightful, and the story heartbreaking. One of my favourite reads of the year so far.

5/5

What a great review! This is also definitely going on my wishlist. I read about Rebecca West in Between The Sheets and ever since then I've wanted to read something by her. Maybe this novel would make a good start. 

#27 Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy

Synopsis: Is it morally wrong to have a blow-dry when one of your children has head lice?[/size]

Is technology now the fifth element? Or is that wood?

Is sleeping with someone after 2 dates and 6 weeks of texting the same as getting married after 2 meetings and 6 months of letter writing in Jane Austen's day?

Pondering these, and other modern dilemmas, Bridget Jones stumbles through the challenges of single-motherhood, tweeting, texting and redisovering her sexuality in what SOME people rudely and outdatedly call 'middle age'.

The long-awaited return of a much-loved character, Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy is timely, tender, touching, witty, wise and bloody hilarious.

Thoughts: I was a bit apprehensive about reading this, because I read the first two novels when I was a) much younger and b) read a lot more chick lit than I do now. 

But I shouldn't have worried, this is brilliant. I laughed out loud a number of times while reading it in bed so had to explain to OH exactly what the joke was!

Somehow, I managed to avoid the MASSIVE SPOILER, and it hadn't really occurred to me that Ms Fielding would set the novel in the present day, which of course required aging Bridget somewhat given the previous ones were published in the 1990s. It shouldn't work, because a 51-year-old Bridget is at a very different lifestage to when we saw her last, but it does. It really does. 

I found her grappling with twitter especially hilarious, the situations she gets herself into are just as ridiculous and it's glorious. Sure, the ending is cheesy but so were the ones to the previous two! 

Bridget remains her spectacular self, as does her larger than life Mum! The only thing that jerked me out of the reading world somewhat was realising Bridget is actually only 10 years younger than my Mum, when I last read the novels they seemed years and years apart! 

Incidentally, my Dad has a twitter account but my Mum refuses to entertain the very idea!

4/5

I was apprehensive about reading the book, too, just like you. But I'm so happy I did end up reading it. It's different but it's really the same as ever, you know? 

I think it's pretty remarkable you were unaware of the big twist, good on you! :D

#30 Pied Piper by Nevil Shute

Synopsis: John Howard is determined to brighten up his old age by taking a fishing trip to France. However, during his stay the Nazis invade and he is forced to try to escape back to England with the two small children of some friends who are forced to stay behind in order to help the Allied war effort. As the conflict grows closer the roads become impassable and Howard also comes across five more children who need his help. He ends up leading this motley group of youngsters through the French countryside, constantly beset by danger yet heroically protecting his charges.[/size]

Thoughts: Wow, absolutely loved this! [/size]

So simply told, yet so eloquently and with a fantastic storyline leading the way. Super stuff. [/size]

I instantly warmed to the character of John Howard. He was elderly and struggled with travel, but he accepted the responsibility of the initial two children without question, and after that continually added to his brood. He could easily have escaped France himself if he had left the children behind, or indeed hurried Sheila along when she became ill, but his sense of responsibility to children he barely knew was wonderful. No wonder Nicole had her faith in human kindness reaffirmed!

He was also a hell of a lot more patient with those children than I would have managed. I think I'd have throttled Sheila before they reached Chartres to be honest

"I like speaking English" 

I think my reply might have been "Well, do you like it enough to be captured and possibly killed by Germans"  :hide: [/size]

I did think that was interesting though, how much they tried to shield the children from the realities of the situation, trying to escape though an occupied France as British citizens. At first, this really frustrated me. I did think it might have been more helpful if they had been a bit more explicit in the dangers of the situation to try and help prevent the children from unmasking them accidentally. [/size]

But then we meet the last child that John picks up. So scarred by the effects of war at such a young age, it's horrendous to read and suddenly the actions all made sense. [/size]

This is a wonderful book, made even more interesting because it was written at the time (published in 1942). Read it, read it![/size]

5/5[/size]

What a great review! This is such a comfy read in a way, eventhough it's a tough subject matter. But it's dealt in such a beautiful way, and one can't really help but adore John Howard. 

I'm just back now for a couple of days and then away again from the weekend for the rest of the month, so sorry for missing your post Gaia!

I'm taking 2 weeks in September to head to the US and I can't wait 

What exciting news!! :exc: you have to tell us all about it when you get back. How can you bear the wait and the excitement??

#38 The Kindness of Strangers by Mike McIntyre

Synopsis: Stuck in a job he no longer found fulfilling, journalist Mike McIntyre felt his life was quickly passing him by. So one day he hit the road to trek from one end of the country to the other with little more than the clothes on his back and without a single penny in his pocket. Through his travels, he found varying degrees of kindness in strangers from all walks of life--and discovered more about people and values and life on the road in America than he'd ever thought possible. The gifts of food and shelter he received along the way were outweighed only by the touching gifts of the heart--the willingness of many he met to welcome a lonely stranger into their homes...and the discovery that sometimes those who give the most are the ones with the least to spare.[/size]

Thoughts: I just finished reading this and much to my surprise, found myself thoroughly enjoying it. I picked this up as a quick read I could dip in and out of while travelling with work, but I kept wanting to read on. [/size]

Mike leaves San Francisco and hitchhikes across America, going from small town to small town and avoiding the big cities. He leaves all money behind and refuses to touch any of it, only accepting rides, shelter and food from the many strangers he meets. [/size]

They all have interesting stories to tell and about 80% of them are tragic. I wonder how much editing this had, to take out the uninteresting ones but I don't think much, the uninteresting rides are skimmed over but they are there, and the majority of the strangers we meet talk about themselves and how they have ended up in the place they have. [/size]

What struck me is how poor most of the small town mid west was when Mike wrote the book (mid 1990s iirc). Plenty had been raised poor and stayed poor, with jobs scarce and money scarcer. Many were raising or had been raised by relatives who were not their parents, many had lots of children, had them young or suffered from alcoholism (whether personally or the consequences of a relative suffering it). [/size]

I think when we are shown America, you often see the LAs, Miamis, New Yorks etc with people well off and the good ship capitalism and the American Dream working well. or you see the other extreme, gangs and crime. What Mike exposes us to is the poor who are poor and remain so, but haven't turned to crime and retain their good humour and human kindness. As the blurb says, those with the least often give the most. [/size]

A lot of Mike's strangers are Christians, as he find churches receptive to him and his journey, but he is a religion sceptic himself, so it doesn't feel preachy (even though we meet others who are). I found the "Mike going on personal journey" cringy, until I realised I was having the same realisations about the USA and its people. Small town America seems pretty darn great to me. 

4/5

I really like the sound of this one, adding it to my wishlist! 

#40 Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I must say, I don't see the fuss with Mr Darcy at all - but then, I haven't seen the BBC version

5/5

Yes, you need to see the BBC version to fully appreciate Mr Darcy ;):giggle2: Very happy that you enjoyed the book so much. I know how intimidating it is to start a classic like this, one that is on the 'must have read' list and one that people are also expected to love. The pressure! 

Great reviews! I'm glad you enjoyed Pride and Prejudice. I really should read it at some point (even though it's in a big omnibus edition..).

I read it on the kindle - for some reason classics seem more intimating in paperback! I have Notre Dame de Paris by Victorhugo in a massive edition - it's sat untouched for at least four years...

I was exactly the same … the first time I read it, it was my first Austen, and I found the language difficult to start with, but like you, after a few chapters, you get into the rhythm and style, and you're away! :D

I can't work out how to do the fancy split quote thing but I appreciate all your comments! I found exactly that with the style, you just need to get used to the rhythm and it becomes quite easy to sail along as it were!

I will definitely be reading more of Jane Austen so will make a mental note to put the Fay Weldon on the list at some point. It's interesting what you say about Mrs Bennet and changing your opinion of her.

I wish I was reading it for the first time all over again to be honest!

Great review of P&P, Alex.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it.  :)

attachicon.giflnr (28).gif

LOL J! My Mum is keen to rewatch it with me for some reason.

You've been reading through a lot of great books again! :smile2: You are certainly adding to my wishlist :D

What a great review! This is also definitely going on my wishlist. I read about Rebecca West in Between The Sheets and ever since then I've wanted to read something by her. Maybe this novel would make a good start.

What exciting news!! :exc: you have to tell us all about it when you get back. How can you bear the wait and the excitement??

Yes, you need to see the BBC version to fully appreciate Mr Darcy ;):giggle2: Very happy that you enjoyed the book so much. I know how intimidating it is to start a classic like this, one that is on the 'must have read' list and one that people are also expected to love. The pressure!

Hi Frankie! Sorry for adding to your wishlist....although I'm not really ;)

I loved the Rebecca West, it was my first experience of her, I'd never even heard of her before the Reading Circle but I will definitely be reading more. That one is short and on the 1001 list, but it's a great story too and I think you should read it :P

New York is just over 2 weeks away now and I cannot quite control my excitement! I'm going to be so disappointed on the plane home when I can't get excited over it any more... But I will have my 1300 photos :D

I'm going to watch the BBC version with my Mum so I will report back on my feelings for Mr Darcy after this...it's exactly as you say with the pressure, it means I end up putting books off for ages and then loving them. I'm such an idiot.

Thoughts: I was extremely nervous in starting this book. Pride and Prejudice is a book I'm not only "supposed to" have read, but also "supposed to" enjoy - or at least, so I felt. I was nervous I would hate it!

Don't you love when that happens?  It's happened to me a few times this year (Pillars of the Earth comes to mind).

#41 Scottish Independence: Weighing up the Economics by Gavin McCrone

4/5

That was quick!  I thought you just started it!  Sounds really interesting- a topic I know absolutely nothing about.  And thanks for the personal input about your friends- I love hearing that kind of stuff- what people are really saying, ya know?

Can't wait to have you in NY!  :smile:  I'll be 3000 miles away, but I'll wave anyway.  :D

Edited by Anna Begins

I loved the Rebecca West, it was my first experience of her, I'd never even heard of her before the Reading Circle but I will definitely be reading more. That one is short and on the 1001 list, but it's a great story too and I think you should read it :P

If that's what you think then surely I must! :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing which books you will read by her in the future :)

New York is just over 2 weeks away now and I cannot quite control my excitement! I'm going to be so disappointed on the plane home when I can't get excited over it any more... But I will have my 1300 photos :D

Oh you mustn't be thinking about the plane ride back, you've not even yet gone to the States!! :lol: Pace yourself, woman! :D

I'm going to watch the BBC version with my Mum so I will report back on my feelings for Mr Darcy after this...it's exactly as you say with the pressure, it means I end up putting books off for ages and then loving them. I'm such an idiot.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the BBC production! Has your Mom seen it before?

It might seem idiotic to just postpone reading books that other people are loving and recommending, but it's all hindsight, isn't it? It's all well to think one's been an idiot after one's actually read the book and loved it :D Every now and then one will come across a bad one and with those, one will never think 'Oh I wish I'd read this sooner so I could've been done with it sooner'. I mean I completely recognize and relate to your thought process, but in the meantime, we've had other books to read and we have to deal with life ( :rolleyes: the silly old thing!) on the side, too.

I've yet to see the BBC version, I have the DVD but think I should read the book first. I have to say though, the Colin Firth on the cover looks handsome.. I loved him in some other films I've seen that he was in.

There are a lot of books we all want to read, and we can't read them all at once! It's a common problem. Would you (not specifically you Frankie :P but any one of you) say that P&P would be the best one to try when I (try to) read a book by Jane Austen? I think it is the most famous one. My omnibus has I think all the major works and I also own the book on the Kindle I believe.

Don't you love when that happens?  It's happened to me a few times this year (Pillars of the Earth comes to mind).

That was quick!  I thought you just started it!  Sounds really interesting- a topic I know absolutely nothing about.  And thanks for the personal input about your friends- I love hearing that kind of stuff- what people are really saying, ya know?

Can't wait to have you in NY!  :smile:  I'll be 3000 miles away, but I'll wave anyway.  :D

The Scotland one wasn't a long tome, and it was written in language designed to appeal to the "average voter", so not as intimidating as you might think! I believe it took me 5 days, but a lot of my reading time depends on my work shifts and how much I travel on planes and trains rather than automobiles.

I've yet to see the BBC version, I have the DVD but think I should read the book first. I have to say though, the Colin Firth on the cover looks handsome.. I loved him in some other films I've seen that he was in.There are a lot of books we all want to read, and we can't read them all at once! It's a common problem. Would you (not specifically you Frankie :P but any one of you) say that P&P would be the best one to try when I (try to) read a book by Jane Austen? I think it is the most famous one. My omnibus has I think all the major works and I also own the book on the Kindle I believe.

It's definitely the most famous one, and I would easily say it's a good one to start with, but then I haven't read any others! Lol.

Absolutely Gaia - so many books, so little time is going on my gravestone. Or perhaps "Here lies Alex, who failed in her mission to live forever so she could get to the end of her reading wishlist". ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the airport on free wifi on the trip back. Will catch up properly with everything when I get home (in about 16 hours - saved £500 but going round the houses a bit!)

Trip was fabulous thank you. Gutted to be going home. So many highlights, although lowlight was busting my foot with suspected fracture. Off to medical centre as soon as I get home. But I hobbled (!) to the top of the Empire State Building, to the New York giants and over the Brooklyn Bridge so hope I haven't made it worse. Didn't want to miss out on anything.

Read a bit on the flights, finished 11.22.63 which was fantabulous and currently 3/4 of the way through 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Hardly any time to read outside of the travelling though.

I'm behind on my reviews though - finished 2 books before I left which I still need to review.

How's everything with you? Will write a full post on the Scottish referendum in my next post but might not get a chance til the next stop.

So various reviews to follow tomorrow probably but here are my thoughts on Scotland.

First of all I would just like to say I don't mean to offend anyone reading. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. I'm not Scottish but I did live there for 3 years of my adult life. As a result I have friends both Scottish and English North of the border who will be voting and know Scots currently living elsewhere in the UK who hold strong opinions but cannot note.

Personally, to back up my experiences of living there I have also done a lot of reading from economists and experts in fields like defence to back up media reports.

Firstly, I have been a little disappointed that many of my friends, normally extremely discerning around general election time, seem to have forgotten this is still politics. I am rather red up of reading that Side X are spewing propaganda while Side Y trot out nothing but facts - side Y being the side they support and Side X the one they don't. Both sides are clearly going to exaggerate the stats that work for them and play down the ones that don't - it's politics!

I have an acquaintance who worked in Edinburgh in the research side of it, and part of his job was twisting stats to fit that narrative. It seems sad some people can't see through it all. Prime example: debt. A quick glance through my Facebook newsfeed reveals several yes voters who are convinced that should Scotland go independent then they would receive no share of the national debt. Now, this may happen (although I think it unlikely) but whatever the outcome it would have to be negotiated after a vote for independence was confirmed. So who is telling them this untruth and why do they blindly believe it?

Both sides are just as bad with this though, this was just an example that came up today so was fresh in my mind.

If I had a vote, I would vote no. I don't think we have enough information to vote yes and know the situation will improve. We don't know what will happen and once the Scots vote yes there is no turning back if the situation sours.

Examples: a lot of Britain's banking currently resides in Edinburgh. Should this remain so after independence it would be too large for the current Scottish economy to support in case of a crash - see Iceland in 2008. Or does the banking sector start moving back south costing jobs in a thriving sector in Scotland?

Will the EU accept Scotland? Will Spain kick up a fuss given effect on Catalunya and Basque regions? Will Scotland be able to join NATO if they fulfill Salmond's nuclear desires? What of borrowing as a small new nation? Is it true independence without control of currency as Salmond wishes to retain the pound?

Scotland currently has a larger share of the benefits system than England (and slightly higher than Wales). If oil can support that in medium term it seems unlikely money can be put aside for when oil runs out. Or do Scots wish to see cuts to NHS, health etc that supporting larger benefits on smaller taxes would bring?

Too many unanswered questions for me. I would support no but campaign for increased devolution (as promised by Westminster).

Sorry for the essay but wanted to back up my point of view as best as I can.

That's very interesting, Alexi! I don't know enough of the situation personally so to say much about it, though my boyfriend has explained the basics to me. I would also vote no, based on the information I know, but I don't live there though so I don't know what it's like for the people there. Very interesting to read your thoughts on it :).

Trip was fabulous thank you. Gutted to be going home. So many highlights, although lowlight was busting my foot with suspected fracture. Off to medical centre as soon as I get home. But I hobbled (!) to the top of the Empire State Building, to the New York giants and over the Brooklyn Bridge so hope I haven't made it worse. Didn't want to miss out on anything.

Read a bit on the flights, finished 11.22.63 which was fantabulous and currently 3/4 of the way through 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Hardly any time to read outside of the travelling though.

I'm glad you enjoyed 11/22/63!  I started 13 Reasons why, but stopped.  I was doing the audio along with the book and it was my first time doing it so I think that kind of spoiled the book for me.  It just went so slow!

I can't believe you hurt your ankle and still made it up the Empire State Building!  :o But I am glad you got to do a lot of the stuff you wanted to do.

Too many unanswered questions for me. I would support no but campaign for increased devolution (as promised by Westminster).

Sorry for the essay but wanted to back up my point of view as best as I can.

Oh not at all- that's what I was hoping for!  I can see the no vote better than the yes vote, but then again, my views of this has been what I have read and researched.  I think it's really interesting.  Today is the big day- I can't wait to see how it turns out!  How do you feel about 16 year olds voting on such an important issue?  Do you know if their demographic are more pro or con?

Thanks both. :)

Anna - no idea how the 16-year-olds feel to be honest. I've no real issue with them voting - as long as someone is informed I think they have every right to vote. In Scotland, the age of of marriage is 16 so it seems a bit crazy they can't vote on something so monumental but could commit to someone else for the rest of their lives. Any age can make an uninformed vote, unfortunately!

I meant to say yesterday, whichever way Scotland votes (and I have suspect they will vote yes) good luck to them. It will at least up the number of countries I've lived in to three rather than two! Two of my best friends have said they would move south in the event of a yes vote but I suspect they will wait and see a bit longer.

Anyway I'm behind on reviews so here goes....

#42 Kiss Me First by Lottie Moggach

Synopsis: Leila has never met Tess, but she now knows more about Tess than anyone in the world. She’s read all of her emails, researched her past and asked Tess for every detail about her friends and family. Tess has never met Leila. But if she wants to slip away from the world unnoticed, she needs to trust Leila with her life. At first, Leila finds it easy to assume Tess’s identity, and no one has any reason to distrust her. But as Leila is soon to discover, there is much more to a person than the facts and there are things about life you can learn only by living it . . .

Thoughts: the synopsis of this book grabbed me straightaway and I raced through the first half, but I'm afraid it rather tailed off and by the end I was quite keen to finish.

Leila is an interesting character, introverted without much of a social life, she becomes absorbed in the online world after the death of her Mum. I felt very sorry for her, but she wasn't someone I could particularly relate to - she seemed overly socially awkward, as if the author had decided that someone who got such a kick online couldn't function in the real world at all - I physically cringed in embarrassment for her on several occasions.

To fit the character she needed to be for this "project" she needed to be more obsessed with online than offline, I get that. But that doesn't preclude her from being able to go to a bar and not act like she just stepped off the plane from another planet.

Through Leila we learn about Tess. Tess was the opposite of Leila in many ways, with many acquaintances, boyfriends and party invitations but wanted to kill herself without anyone knowing she had. Interesting premise, no?

And it really was. I wanted to find out more about the project, more about Leila and Tess and what motivated each of their actions. Who was the mysterious leader of the site, Red Pill who introduced them? And would it work?

This had all the basis of an excellent read but it felt apart in the second half for me, like the author wasn't entirely sure how to get to the ending which was underwhelming. Just ran out of steam.

That said, it was an enjoyable read and different from what I've read before.

3/5

Edited by Alexi

#43 The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

Synopsis: The New York Trilogy is an astonishing and original book: three cleverly interconnected novels that exploit the elements of standard detective fiction and achieve a new genre that is all the more gripping for its starkness. In each story the search for clues leads to remarkable coincidences in the universe as the simple act of trailing a man ultimately becomes a startling investigation of what it means to be human. Auster's book is modern fiction at its finest: bold, arresting and unputdownable.

Thoughts: Ugh.

I could leave it there, but I will continue.

This book has won awards and is on the 1001 list, and has received plenty of glowing recommendations on Amazon (including the above, labelled as a synopsis). But I just didn't get it.

It consists of three short stories, each set up with the potential to be an excellent detective story. Then, in each case our leading character - the investigator - goes off the rails to leave an unsatisfying ending that makes little sense. Post modernism at its finest, apparently.

Well, what I felt was that it was simply Auster trying to prove he is far cleverer than his readers. His attempts at being original simply come across as being pretentious, a "read this to impress your vacuous friends" sort of novel. I'm all for originality but original doesn't have to mean something that comes off as the author's vanity project. I'm all for interpreting books in your own way (I enjoy Murakami for instance) but give me some clue.

Apparently they are investigating what it means to be human. Really? Did I need to read endless pages in the first story about a man living on the street watching a window to find out what it means to be human? If so, I'm all for not knowing, thanks all the same.

I struggled giving this book a 1, thinking it deserved a 2 because each story hooked me in, but then it threw me down again and I wonder if that wasn't worse meaning I didn't abandon the darn thing.

I'm the end, I shall liken it to eating a kebab at 3am. I would never eat one sober but the first few bites taste awesome, only for the meat to prove distinctly fake and the inevitable sickness or food poisoning to follow.

1/5

Edited by Alexi

Thanks Athena! I think I was in the minority, it gets fantastic views on Amazon. I hope you enjoy it. :) 

#44 11/22/63 by Stephen King

Synopsis: WHAT IF you could go back in time and change the course of history? WHAT IF the watershed moment you could change was the JFK assassination? 11.22.63, the date that Kennedy was shot - unless . . .

King takes his protagonist Jake Epping, a high school English teacher from Lisbon Falls, Maine, 2011, on a fascinating journey back to 1958 - from a world of mobile phones and iPods to a new world of Elvis and JFK, of Plymouth Fury cars and Lindy Hopping, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life - a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

With extraordinary imaginative power, King weaves the social, political and popular culture of his baby-boom American generation into a devastating exercise in escalating suspense.

Thoughts: If the last book was ugh, this one was wow. It thoroughly restored my reading mojo and I read solidly for 6 hours on the plane trying to get through as much as possible before we landed! 

Jake Epping is coaxed by a local friend and diner owner back to 1958 with the hope of averting the JFK assassination and thereby (in theory) aiding the civil rights movement, saving thousands of lives in Vietnam and certainly changing the course of US and world history. Recently divorced from his alcoholic wife, Jake accepts and takes us back to the 1950s, enjoying root beer floats and very cheap petrol. 

The most interesting aspect of it all was the past being obdurate - it doesn't want to be changed and resists Jake's meddling, as it did his friend Al's before him. On days he is trying to change major events (such as the death of his friend Harry's family on Halloween) he suffers illness, his car won't start, other people from 1958 get involved at inopportune moments etc. 

I thought this, and the idea that the "past harmonises with itself" was very clever from King. It allows him to build a story full of suspense where Jake is thwarted at most turns, and a world full of coincidences, and explain it away by the previous two statements. 

I have never read King before, but the man is clearly a master storyteller. He wends his way through the late 50s and early 60s with ease, taking in Maine, Florida and Texas. We meet the Oswalds as soon as they land from Russia and Jake moves in opposite, so we we get a glimpse into their (dysfunctional) family life. 

But what King does so well is make this a love story alongside the adventure of trying to change history and prevent the assassination. Jake meets and falls in love with a librarian, who he must lie to about his past, his present and even his name. Can love conquor a time difference of 50 years, an obdurate past and a man trying to change history? 

The character of Jake is easy to root for, and the supporting cast are well drawn. But most of all this is just a bloody good yarn. The 750 pages flew by and I was upset to reach the end! Read it now, while I go and read everything else King has ever written. 

5/5

#45 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Synopsis: You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home to find a strange package with his name on it. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and first love - who committed suicide.

Hannah's voice explains there are thirteen reasons why she killed herself and Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening - and what he discovers changes his life . . .

Forever.

Thoughts: This is written for young adults, but the synopsis was sufficiently intriguing, and I had enjoyed a previous read of Asher's, The Future of Us sufficiently to pick this up on kindle. 

The synopsis is certainly different to anything I've ever read before. Hannah leaves a series of cassette tapes for 13 people to listen to, explaining why she took her own life. They start off with events that appear fairly innocuous, but the idea is that every action has a consequence and seemingly mundane events add up to something much more. 

However, I did wonder whether it was "fair" of Hannah - and she is a character we do need to root for - to tell someone they are a reason she committed suicide when they stole a few notes from her. And the person who did the absolute worst, abhorrent, criminal action did not receive the tapes because "they wouldn't pass them on". 

For goodness sakes, you made 2 copies of the tapes for security, you could have made a third! This didn't really make sense to me that he got to carry on with his blissful life and others who did far less...didn't. 

However, while I enjoyed this and it was a good, quick read I can only mark it as a 3 because this should be an emotional read. A 16 year old has committed suicide after all and we are hearing her voice telling us why, but I didn't feel many tugs on the heartstrings at all. I can't put my finger on why exactly - perhaps the style of having Clay explaining that he was ordering a hot chocolate in the middle of one of her stories didn't help - but it should have been far more emotional than it was. 

3/5

Great reviews :). I'm so glad you enjoyed 11/22/63, it's on my TBR. I have read and enjoyed other books by Stephen King so I have high hopes for this one. I plan to read some other ones first though (such as The Shining), as American history isn't my strongest point. It's a shame you didn't like 13 Reasons Why more, but I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

I also have The Shining on my TBR - maybe I shall read it around Halloween! :D I love American history, the country fascinates me. It's so young but has such an interesting and varied history and is such a varied country - I suppose to be expected due to the size but the diversity in population and in ideas between north and south (to generalise far too much!) is very interesting. 

Great that you enjoyed your trip so much ,but sorry you hurt your foot or ankle . At least it didn't stop you from doing the things you had on your list ! Good for you .

Also glad you enjoyed 11-22-63 . I thought it was a pretty doggone good story too !