BSchultz19's Reading 2014

BSchultz19

Online library catalogs are the worst, because I just keep placing holds on books. Going to show up to the library tomorrow with five books waiting and only two weeks before they're due. Oh boy.  :doh:  :D

Don't you hate hen that happens ? Are you able to renew them or do you have the 2 week time limit on them all ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you hate hen that happens ? Are you able to renew them or do you have the 2 week time limit on them all ?

I can renew them. I'm not sure how many times I'm able to renew. I think I've done 6 weeks at once while I was gone. It's a small town library so they are pretty lenient about that kind of thing. 

I'm just glad I'm using the library. When I go to the bookstore, I'm the same way except the books cost me money!  :giggle2:

In the Netherlands, unless you have a special pass, each adult library book costs some money to borrow nowadays (I think maybe 0.10-0.30 €?). Is that not the case in your library?

Nope. All books are free and there is no limit that I'm aware of. I know of people getting 12 adult books at once on one card. Only cost for using the library is late fees, even the library card is free to get. 

Ordered some new books today!  :D

Northanger Abbey, Of Mice and Men, A collection of Robert Frost poems, 1776 (a book about Washington and America), and 12 years a slave.

Northanger Abbey, Of Mice and Men, A collection of Robert Frost poems, 1776 (a book about Washington and America), and 12 years a slave.

Ohhhh- How I loved Of Mice and Men!  12 Years a Slave, I hope to get to this year.  1776 is a GREAT read also.   David McCullough is a brilliant author and historian.  Good haul!

Edited by Anna Begins

Nope. All books are free and there is no limit that I'm aware of. I know of people getting 12 adult books at once on one card. Only cost for using the library is late fees, even the library card is free to get.

That's awesome! We also pay late fees, we pay for the library card (children under 18 are free I believe) and adults pay for the books as well. I think it might've been different in the past, I didn't pay for adult books when I went to the library as a teenager.

Wow, we are so lucky here. Library cards are free, borrowing is free, amd we pay late fees. You borrow a book for 4 weeks, and can renew for two weeks twice, so estenially you can borrow a book for 2 months.

In the Netherlands, unless you have a special pass, each adult library book costs some money to borrow nowadays (I think maybe 0.10-0.30 €?). Is that not the case in your library?

That's really interesting, as I assumed that all library borrowings were free. Here in the UK it is free (you need a library card), though if you borrow a CD or DVD you have to pay (I think about £3, but it's been a long time since I borrowed a DVD so things may have changed).

Which one are you going to start with?  Or are they on the TBR list?

Ohhhh- How I loved Of Mice and Men!  12 Years a Slave, I hope to get to this year.  1776 is a GREAT read also.   David McCullough is a brilliant author and historian.  Good haul!

Thanks! I had never heard of 1776 until I saw it in the store the other day and was really interested. I didn't have the money at the time, but I ended up ordering it online like a week later. I LOVE history so I'm looking forward to it. 

That's awesome! We also pay late fees, we pay for the library card (children under 18 are free I believe) and adults pay for the books as well. I think it might've been different in the past, I didn't pay for adult books when I went to the library as a teenager.

That's interesting. I bet libraries would make a lot more money here if they did that. Currently libraries have been struggling. 

Which one are you going to start with?  Or are they on the TBR list?

I'm not sure. I'm currently reading East of Eden, but once I finish I might start 1776. I'm not really sure. My TBR list is just the books I have and want to read, there isn't a specific order. I just go with what I feel like reading and read it. I try to go classic, non-classic, classic, but it doesn't always work out that way especially when I'm borrowing from the library and need to finish the books I checked out in two weeks. 

The Guardian

15925.jpg

BLURB:

Julie Barenson's young husband left her two unexpected gifts before he died--a Great Dane puppy named Singer and the promise that he would always be watching over her. Now four years have passed. Still living in the small town of Swansboro, North Carolina, twenty-nine-year-old Julie is emotionally ready to make a commitment to someone again. But who? Should it be Richard Franklin, the handsome, sophisticated engineer who treats her like a queen? Or Mike Harris, the down-to-earth nice guy who was her husband's best friend? Choosing one of them should bring her more happiness than she's had in years. Instead, Julie is soon fighting for her life in a nightmare spawned by a chilling deception and jealousy so poisonous that it has become a murderous desire. . . 

MY TAKE:

This book was different than other Nicholas Sparks books, which I thoroughly enjoyed because although I love his work I have read so much of it that I can usually predict the ending about halfway through. This book had love, loss, and intensity. Instead of his typical love story with maybe a twist or thrill inside the love story, Sparks makes the thrill and adventure the heart of this book with a love story hidden underneath. I love that this book is so different than his other books and I hope he writes another book with as many tense, scary scenes. While reading this book, my heart was beating and I was almost afraid to go to sleep. AMAZING work by Sparks. 

RATING:

I recommend reading this book no matter what genre you're into

10/10

Nights in Rodanthe

rodanthe2.jpg

BLURB:

At forty-five, Adrienne willis must rethink her entire life when her husband abandons her for a younger woman. Reeling with heartache and in search of a respite, she flees to the small coastal town of Rodanthe, North Carolina, to tend to a friend's inn for the weekend. But when a major storm starts moving in, it appears that Adrienne's perfect getaway will be ruined--until a guest named Paul Flanner arrives. At fifty-four, Paul has just sold his medical practice and come to Rodanthe to escape his own shattered past. Now, with the storm closing in two wounded people will turn to each other for comfort--and in one weekend set in motion feelings that will resonate throughout the rest of their lives. 

MY TAKE:

This is typical Nicholas Sparks. It reminds me a lot of Dear John and Message in a Bottle, both of which I enjoyed. It's the typical true love + tragedy that Nicholas Sparks is well-known for. It wasn't my favorite book, but not the worst I've read. 

RATING:

Recommend for Nicholas Sparks lovers, otherwise I don't recommend

7.5/10

The Time Traveler's Wife

the-time-travelers-wife.jpg

BLURB:

A most untraditional love story, this is the celebrated tale of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who involuntarily travels through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate affair endures across a sea of time and captures them in an impossibly romantic trap that tests the strength of fate and basks in the bonds of love. 

MY TAKE:

This book must have been extremely difficult to write. Getting the details perfectly so that there were no errors in the whacky timeline that this book follows. I loved it. It took a traditional love story and made it into something exciting and mysterious. This is one of the first non Sparks romance novels that I've read and I was not disappointed. Because I loved this book so much, I will probably branch out and read more romance novels. 

RATING:

Recommended

9/10

The Choice

TheChoice.jpg

BLURB:

Travis Parker has everything a man could want: a good job, loyal friends, even a waterfront home in small-town North Carolina. In full pursuit of the good life--boating, swimming, and regular barbecues with his close buddies--e holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with a woman would only cramp his style. That is until Gabby Holland moves in next door. Despite his attempts to be neighborly, the attractive redhead seems to have a grudge against him. . .and the presence of her longtime boyfriend doesn't help. Still, Travis can't stop trying to ingratiate himself with his new neighbor, and his persistent efforts lead them both to the doorstep of a journey that neither could have foreseen. Spanning the eventful years of young love, marriage, and family, The Choice, ultimately confronts us with the most heart-wrenching question of all: How far should you go to keep the hope of love alive?

MY TAKE:

I really love the title of this book, because it ties into both parts of this two part book and I love when titles are really good and meaningful. Once again, Sparks uses true love and tragedy to make a great book. I can say, however, that I did not correctly guess the end of this book, so bravo to Nicholas Sparks for making it a little unpredictable. I liked the book and thought the characters were really well-developed. 

RATING:

Recommended

9.5/10

I loved The Time Traveller's Wife too! I've got the three Nicholas Sparks books on my wishlist.

Personally I sometimes I find it easier to write a review on a book I didn't like so much, rather than about a book I loved. It depends on the book, though.

I loved The Time Traveller's Wife too! I've got the three Nicholas Sparks books on my wishlist.

Personally I sometimes I find it easier to write a review on a book I didn't like so much, rather than about a book I loved. It depends on the book, though.

I honestly just never want to say anything bad about a book, because usually I don't struggle with any books. Moby Dick is the only book that I've really struggled completely with. 

I'm just not good at being critical. People post about books having bad prose or terribly written and I didn't even realize it when I read the book, because I was so caught up in the plot that I didn't care. 

In my writing class this past semester I realized it was not a good thing because when we had to read and edit each others' work I was so caught up in the story that I forgot to mark changes and parts I didn't like. I suppose it's a good problem to have, though. I just love reading  :smile:

East of Eden

055f810ae7a03560900b8110.L.jpg

BLURB:

In his journal, John Steinbeck called East of Eden "the first book," and indeed it has the primordial power and simplicity of myth. Set in the rich farmland of California's Salinas Valley, this sprawling and often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families--the Trasks and the Hamiltons--whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel. Adam Trask came to California from the East to farm and raise his family on the new, rich land. But the birth of his twins, Cal and Aron, brings his wife to the brink of madness, and Adam is left alone to raise his boys to manhood. One boy thrives, nurtured by the love of all those around him; the other grows up in loneliness, enveloped by a mysterious darkness. First published in 1952, East of Eden is the work in which Steinbeck created his most mesmerizing characters and explored his most enduring themes: the mystery of identity, the inexplicablity of love, and the murderous consequences of love's absence. A masterpiece of Steinbeck's later years, East of Eden is a powerful and vastly ambitious novel that is at once a family saga and a modern retelling of the Book of Genesis. 

MY TAKE:

I really enjoyed reading this book because the characters are amazing. Each of the main characters is told about from birth, which only makes them come alive even more as the book progresses. I love the themes in this book, because they are so true. The end of the book is SO POWERFUL. Aside from the book being a great literary work, I thoroughly enjoyed the book because Steinbeck has an interesting sense of humor which I was able to find while reading the book. Maybe he didn't intend to make certain things funny, but there were subtle ironies and the occasional funny thing a character said. It was a long one, but I really enjoyed reading it and felt like I fell into the world of the 1900s.

RATING:

Recommended to anyone. Timeless classic. 

10/10

RATING:

Recommended to anyone. Timeless classic. 

10/10

I've read a lot of Steinbeck, The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row... but never East of Eden.  I love his writing- he is from a small town about 3 and 1/2 hours from me, on the coast.

I've read a lot of Steinbeck, The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row... but never East of Eden.  I love his writing- he is from a small town about 3 and 1/2 hours from me, on the coast.

I've read The Pearl, Grapes of Wrath, and now East of Eden and the only one I didn't enjoy was The Pearl. Now that I've read more Steinbeck it seems like its different than his typical setting. I just didn't get into it, but that could also be because I read it in 8th grade and wasn't capable of understanding it. 

I'm thinking about making a spreadsheet for all the books I read, including number of pages, how much I liked the book, and when I read it. The only problem I have is finding number of pages on past books I have read. I really want to have this for the future when I may want to re-read books or recommend books to people. 

I also just love making spreadsheets and this is a good reason to use one :lol:

I'm thinking about making a spreadsheet for all the books I read, including number of pages, how much I liked the book, and when I read it. The only problem I have is finding number of pages on past books I have read. I really want to have this for the future when I may want to re-read books or recommend books to people. 

I also just love making spreadsheets and this is a good reason to use one :lol:

That sounds great! I find these things lots of fun :). I either check the amount of pages in the book if I own it, or I look it up on GoodReads or a book site that sells the exact same edition I have (such as Amazon, bol.com, etc, I google the ISBN and see what comes up). If you have read a lot of books though this might take you some time.