BSchultz19's Reading 2014

BSchultz19

I finished Insurgent earlier this week. I loved Divergent so much that I think it took away from reading Insurgent. I really liked Insurgent, but it didn't exactly compare to the first book, which I often find is the case. I did like the suspense in the final 1/4 of the book. I'm about halfway through Allegiant now. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Insurgent earlier this week. I loved Divergent so much that I think it took away from reading Insurgent. I really liked Insurgent, but it didn't exactly compare to the first book, which I often find is the case. I did like the suspense in the final 1/4 of the book. I'm about halfway through Allegiant now. 

I was just going to say, wait til you get to Allegiant.  Personally, I liked all 3...can't really say much without spoilers...but ya, I read them in just a few days.  I didn't even have internet when I was reading them so had to go around the corner to Starbucks to use their WiFi... I know, desperation.  But I had to know what the next one held!  I went at 3am Christmas morning after playing Santa to get Insurgent.

I was just going to say, wait til you get to Allegiant.  Personally, I liked all 3...can't really say much without spoilers...but ya, I read them in just a few days.  I didn't even have internet when I was reading them so had to go around the corner to Starbucks to use their WiFi... I know, desperation.  But I had to know what the next one held!  I went at 3am Christmas morning after playing Santa to get Insurgent.

I finished Allegiant earlier today and I agree. When they are all pieced together they are amazing. I read the three books in a week or two. That was during my first week back to school too. Kind of impressed, but they were just too good to put down. 

I finished Allegiant earlier today and I agree. When they are all pieced together they are amazing. I read the three books in a week or two. That was during my first week back to school too. Kind of impressed, but they were just too good to put down.

I totally agree. I even liked the end!

• 2 weeks later...

I have all three books on my TBR, I'm glad to hear good reviews of them :)! I recently bought the third book so now I can all read them in a shorter amount of time too.

Yeah I had to make sure I had all three books before I started reading them. I heard such great reviews about the books that I knew I would have to read all three in a row. 

I'm excited to hear what you think about the books :D

I am currently 250ish words into the first A Song of Fire and Ice series, A Game of Thrones. I'm really enjoying it and its hard to put down. The only struggle is that each book is sooooo long. It will be a trek to make it through them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pride & Prejudice-Jane Austen

Emma- Jane Austen

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte

Great Expectations- Charles Dickens

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde- Robert Louis Stevenson

Catch-22-Joseph Heller

The Book Thief - Zusak

Ooh, these are some of my absolute favourite books. Enjoy! 

I loved Northanger Abbey, but I think Persuasion is my favourite Austen. :smile:

I think those are my two favorites :) Although if push came to shove, I'd say NA wins the battle...

My favourite Austen is S & S (one of my top 5 books ever), so now you've got three different favourites (but have to admit P&P is superb too)

Well, my favourites are Pride and Prejudice and Emma, so between the four of us, you have all five books covered! :)

My collection is very small compared to most of the people on this website, but I hope that someday it can grow to the sizes of some of the members here.

That will happen in no time at all if you stick around here. ;)

A Game of Thrones

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die"

I really enjoyed this book despite how lengthy it is. It was full of action and exciting turns and twists. I think it's hard for an author to keep a reader's interest for 800 pages, but Martin has done a great job in this book. I finished the final chapter of the book and immediately set out on trying to find the next book. I can't wait to read A Clash of Kings

For the rest of this review and in my reviews in the future, I'm stealing the reading circle questions :)

My favorite character

Bran was definitely my favorite character. The first chapter of the book was from his perspective and I fell in love right away. A boy full of adventure who is also soft and sweet on the inside. 

Favorite Part

I honestly enjoyed most of the book. The beginning was a little slow because the author had to introduce characters and start the plot, but after that there was action in almost every page. I think that's why I enjoyed this book so much. It was hard to put down because no matter where I left off, I was in the middle of some kind of action or conflict. 

First book in genre/by author?

This is one of the first books I have read in the fantasy/sci-fi genre and the first book I have read by George RR Martin. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it when I started the book because it seemed so out of my normal reading box. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the book because it was a very good book. I will definitely be reading more of Martin and this genre in the future. 

Any Struggles?

I didn't particularly struggle with any part, but as I mentioned before the beginning was a little slow. 

Overall, was the book a good experience?

YES!

One of my favorite quotes from the book:

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you"

A Walk to Remember

"There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well. So I take the memories as they come, accepting them all, letting them guide me wherever I can."

I absolutely loved this book and read it in two days, although it is quite different from the movie which I also love. 

Favorite Character

Landon is my favorite character. Who else would it be? The changes he goes through in the book show such maturity in him and his friends. I love how real the character is. He has a lot of flaws, but the good inside of him shines through. 

Favorite part

The end. I know the ending is sad, but I love how real it is and the emotion in it. 

First book in genre or by author?

No and no. I love Nicholas Sparks and this is one of the many books of his that I have read. Unlike a lot of the books he has recently published, the ending isn't super predictable. He does foreshadow a bad event, but the reader has no idea until it is actually revealed. 

Hard parts?

Nope

Overall, was the book enjoyable?

Yes, I LOVED reading it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Currently partially through three books. Pride & Prejudice, This Side of Paradise, and A Storm of Swords.

I'm on spring break right now so I am hoping to at least get through A Storm of Swords and maybe a little further into P&P. I'm just so hooked on the A Song of Ice and Fire series right now. 

I just finished reading A Clash of Kings, but I realized that it would be nearly impossible to even write a review without spoilers. But I thought I would share some of my favorite quotes from the book. 

"Here, then. Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less." -Varys

"A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough . . . and the parts that look like magic often turn out to be messiest of all" -Cersei

"Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same." -Cersei 

And... I just realized that I put the wrong title in the post I made a few days ago. I was reading a Clash of Kings not a Storm of Swords. Wow.  :blush2:

I love the quotes!

I think one of my favorite parts of reading great books is finding amazing quotes. I have a notebook full of them. I pretty much don't read a book without having at least one quote written in the notebook.  :D

• 1 month later...

I have now read The Lucky One and A Storm of Swords (I actually read it, the name isn't wrong :)). I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows. I'm so lost in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire right now!

What a great idea!  Do you ever go back through and just absorb all the delicious quotes you've found?  

I'm a bit of a word nerd.  I keep a word journal that contains new words I've come across or old words that I forgot I knew.

Sometimes I go back and read through some of them amazed by the brilliance of the writers and their way with words. 

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted in a long time, so I can't quite remember if I'm forgetting any books that I've read or not. 

Since my last post I have read:

Four, which is the new Divergent companion novel. It's four different short stories from Four's point of view. It was an interesting read because it followed the same plot (somewhat) as the series, but told it from a different point of view. I LOVE books that tell he different points of view from each character (one of the reasons that I loved reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series), so this book was great. 

An Abundance of Katherines I have read three other John Green books and loved all of them. This one did not disappoint. It might actually put up some tough competition with Looking for Alaska as my favorite John Green book mostly because it involved a lot of math and nerdiness, which I love. 

The Storyteller I've always heard good things about Jodi Picoult, but had never read any of her books. When I was at the bookstore recently, I saw this book and decided to pick it up. It was a great book. It's about the holocaust is as much as I can say without giving away too much of the story, but it was amazing. I always appreciate books about tough subjects more because they must be so hard to write. Picoult nailed it. 

I've been struggling my way through Moby Dick for awhile now. I hope to finish it before the summer is over. I've also been reading A Dance with Dragons and A Farewell to Arms

Online library catalogs are the worst, because I just keep placing holds on books. Going to show up to the library tomorrow with five books waiting and only two weeks before they're due. Oh boy.  :doh:  :D