Guernsey Island

julie

I'm currently reading a book set on Guernsey Island called The Book of Ebenezer LePage . It's such a good book and interesting place, I looked up the island on youtube to see more of what it looks like. It sounds really beautiful .

I wondered if any of you have been able to visit there and what it's like ?

Also do the islanders speak with an English or French accent ? The book has a few sentences sprinkled throughout in French,so 'm assuming maybe they speak more along that line .

Also has anyone read any books set here or in the other islands in this same area ?

Thanks for any help .

Edited by julie

My dad was from Guernsey, Julie, and I've spent a lot of time there over the years.  He loved his home and was one of eight children, so I've got loads of family over there  :smile:   It's 9 miles by 4, sort of triangular shaped.  It's a beautiful island with lots of lovely beaches, and St Peter Port is one of my favourite places.  Due to the occupation during WWII, there are still a lot of German bunkers and such dotted around.  They don't speak with a French accent at all, although they do have a slight accent which means they say words like 'glass' with a hard 'a' sound, like the first syllable of 'pacify'.

Thanks ,  Steve, for telling me about Guernsey. It sure looks beautiful ,from what I have seen online about it . It must be wonderful to have lots of family there and be able to spend a lot of time there . The beaches and scenery look so pretty . I'd think living in such a small place ,everyone would know everyone.

I was just wondering about it ,since it's a place I knew nothing about before starting this book . I'm glad you could tell me more about it .

Thank you .

I'd recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows - set during the occupation of Guernsey during the second world war, it's written in the form of letters, and initially seems quite light hearted but gradually reveals more poignancy and one of my favourite reads from a few years ago.

I also recommend The Book of Lies by Mary Horlock, which I read a year or so ago.

I have often thought about going to Guernsey or one of the other Channel Islands, but it is one of those paces I have not yet got round to, as I hear it is very interesting with great walking and beaches.       

Thanks Claire and June

I've heard and seen the Guernsey one with the letters, but don't have a copy, so it should be easy to locate.

I'll also look for the other one . Amazon has it for Kindle I think .

Guernsey sure looks like a beautiful place to go on a vacation ! ( It'd be one LONG drive for us !!   :D )

I'd recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows - set during the occupation of Guernsey during the second world war, it's written in the form of letters, and initially seems quite light hearted but gradually reveals more poignancy and one of my favourite reads from a few years ago.

Thanks Claire and June

I've heard and seen the Guernsey one with the letters, but don't have a copy, so it should be easy to locate.

I'll also look for the other one . Amazon has it for Kindle I think .

Guernsey sure looks like a beautiful place to go on a vacation ! ( It'd be one LONG drive for us !!   :D )

I can second that recommendation, Julie.  I loved it. :)

I went to Jersey as a child and thought it was magical .. I believe Guernsey is even more magical and less commercial. I really want to go back someday soon and visit all of the Channel Islands .. you never know 2014 might be the year :D

I also recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Julie .. brilliant book :smile: 

Thanks Kay

They do look like magical places. Unspoiled beaches, without souvenier shops every 6 feet . Really lovely pictures. If we ever win the lottery we'll be coming over . In fact, we'll hire a yacht and stop at the southern tip of England and pick you guys all up .

Thanks for the recommendation for the book. Sure sounds like a hands-down favorite .

I went to Jersey as a child and thought it was magical .. I believe Guernsey is even more magical and less commercial.

Yes, that's definitely the case - and I'm not even slightly biased  :giggle2:   I went to Jersey once and my Guernsey relations never let me forget it :lol: