Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

I saw Margaret Atwood interviewed on Charlie Rose the other night, and she was talking about something called the Future Library Project.  I`m not sure how I feel about not getting to read someone`s work, but knowing it exists. On the other hand, I suppose in the future, it might bring long forgotten authors to the World`s attention again.  :smile:

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

190   Mary Stewart - Nine Coaches Waiting

I normally love Mary Stewart books, but I made the mistake of reading the blurb on the back of this one, not realising that it refers to an exciting event... which doesn`t take place until 2/3 of the way through the book. Grr. So, most of the book was a bit tedious, then there was a thrilling final third. Anyway, an English Girl goes to France to work as a governess to a small French boy in an isolated chateau, and there would`ve been lots of tension if I hadn`t spoiled. << Shakes little fist at publisher >>.

Hmm, I must do another TBR count, `cos I think I`ve gone wrong somewhere ( not that it matters, it`s just for fun ! ) I think I might`ve taken off too many books ( and got confused with re-reads.. ) I might be 40 books out, oslt. :doh:

Oh :doh:! I look forward to see what the new count will be.

I saw Margaret Atwood interviewed on Charlie Rose the other night, and she was talking about something called the Future Library Project.  I`m not sure how I feel about not getting to read someone`s work, but knowing it exists. On the other hand, I suppose in the future, it might bring long forgotten authors to the World`s attention again.  :smile:

We have a topic on it here, we discussed it a while ago but there've been no new posts recently. I find it a shame too, that we probably won't get to read it.

We have a topic on it here, we discussed it a while ago but there've been no new posts recently. I find it a shame too, that we probably won't get to read it.

Ooh, thanks for the link.  :D  I`d missed that altogether. 

The latest count is 764.  :hide:  Still, it`s not as bad as I thought it might be.  :smile:

Ooh, thanks for the link.  :D  I`d missed that altogether. 

The latest count is 764.  :hide:  Still, it`s not as bad as I thought it might be.  :smile:

You're welcome :D!

That's not too bad :)! Though it's higher than you thought :P. Are there any books on there that you're particularly looking forward to reading? Or any that've been on there for a long time, that you somehow haven't got around to?

I think it is the secretiveness of the project that appeals to Atwood. :D  (IMO) she is a bit of a strange duck. I'm not sure I am able to appreciate her particular strangeness.

190   Mary Stewart - Nine Coaches Waiting

I normally love Mary Stewart books, but I made the mistake of reading the blurb on the back of this one, not realising that it refers to an exciting event... which doesn`t take place until 2/3 of the way through the book. Grr. So, most of the book was a bit tedious, then there was a thrilling final third. Anyway, an English Girl goes to France to work as a governess to a small French boy in an isolated chateau, and there would`ve been lots of tension if I hadn`t spoiled. << Shakes little fist at publisher >>.

Oh, I read this one eons ago, and loved it at the time.  I really need to go back and reread a few to see. 

Sorry the blurb on the back spoiled it for you.  I hate it when the publisher (of all people!) does that.  grrrrr!

That's an interesting thread, glad you linked it.  I vaguely remember seeing it, but didn't follow up on it at the time. 

Oh, I read this one eons ago, and loved it at the time.  I really need to go back and reread a few to see. 

Sorry the blurb on the back spoiled it for you.  I hate it when the publisher (of all people!) does that.  grrrrr

That's an interesting thread, glad you linked it.  I vaguely remember seeing it, but didn't follow up on it at the time.

I agree, that's not nice at all! In my opinion what it says on the back should happen in the first part of the book, not talk about much that happens beyond 1/3rd of the book, maybe 1/2 at most.

You're welcome :).

You're welcome :D!

That's not too bad :)! Though it's higher than you thought :P. Are there any books on there that you're particularly looking forward to reading? Or any that've been on there for a long time, that you somehow haven't got around to?

Yes and yes.  :D

There are some newer purchases which I`m especially excited about reading (  Duck the Halls, the latest Meg Langslow mystery - I`ll wait till Xmas, `cos its a festive book / The River of no Return, a big fantasy book  and Raising Steam, the latest  Terry Pratchett ) .

Of the long term inmates of my TBR, there are so many books which I have to be in the right mood for ( I haven`t tried Jo Nesbo yet, or Paul Theroux`s travel writing). 

I think it is the secretiveness of the project that appeals to Atwood. :D  (IMO) she is a bit of a strange duck. I'm not sure I am able to appreciate her particular strangeness.

She does come across as a `one-off`. I find I`m able to pay more attention to her in written interviews ; when I watch her talk, I find I`m paying more attention to her rather arresting look.  :smile:

I have a few left to read, which I`m rationing now. 

Sorry the blurb on the back spoiled it for you.  I hate it when the publisher (of all people!) does that.  grrrrr!

Rookie mistake - I should`ve learnt by now . ;)  

She does come across as a `one-off`. I find I`m able to pay more attention to her in written interviews ; when I watch her talk, I find I`m paying more attention to her rather arresting look.  :smile:

I think her looks are fascinating!  Maybe I'm odd too! :D:P   Maybe, did I say maybe?? heh

Yes and yes.  :D

There are some newer purchases which I`m especially excited about reading (  Duck the Halls, the latest Meg Langslow mystery - I`ll wait till Xmas, `cos its a festive book / The River of no Return, a big fantasy book  and Raising Steam, the latest  Terry Pratchett ) .

Of the long term inmates of my TBR, there are so many books which I have to be in the right mood for ( I haven`t tried Jo Nesbo yet, or Paul Theroux`s travel writing).

It makes sense to wait for the right season :). I hope you enjoy those books :D! I don't think I own Raising Steam yet, I hope you enjoy that one too! I agree, I also have books on my TBR that I have to be in the right mood for (I also haven't read any Jo Nesbo yet!). How many books do you think you'll get to this year? I mean, total. Is it usual for you to read this many :D.

It makes sense to wait for the right season :). I hope you enjoy those books :D! I don't think I own Raising Steam yet, I hope you enjoy that one too! I agree, I also have books on my TBR that I have to be in the right mood for (I also haven't read any Jo Nesbo yet!). How many books do you think you'll get to this year? I mean, total. Is it usual for you to read this many :D.

This is my ` readingest` year ever. I`ve broken 100 a couple of times before, but never got close to 200. I did a Donna Andrews re-read this year, which helped to get through those Winter blahs, and helped to keep me reading. I`m going to do a re-read for next year too, maybe of Joanne Fluke ( something fun and light ). 

I think I`ll get to 205. Maybe. :smile: 

I`ve managed 1 of 12 of my Mighty Tomes, am close to finishing another, and around 20% of the way through a third, so I`d like to concentrate on some of those longer books to round off the year. 

What do you think your yearly total will be, and is this your best year too ?  :D

This is my ` readingest` year ever. I`ve broken 100 a couple of times before, but never got close to 200. I did a Donna Andrews re-read this year, which helped to get through those Winter blahs, and helped to keep me reading. I`m going to do a re-read for next year too, maybe of Joanne Fluke ( something fun and light ). 

Wow, well done!  :smile:

I`ve managed 1 of 12 of my Mighty Tomes, am close to finishing another, and around 20% of the way through a third, so I`d like to concentrate on some of those longer books to round off the year. 

What do you think your yearly total will be, and is this your best year too ?  :D

I think I'll be around my usual mid-80s mark, which I'm happy with considering I've read over a dozen of my 'mighty tomes' (those over 700 pages :shrug:) so far this year, plus the one I'm reading at the moment.  Next year I'm not going to bother counting at all, though.

I think my total for the year will come in at around 30 or so which is the lowest since I joined the forum and started reading properly again. Last year I hit almost 80 and I'm kind of hoping that next year I'll be back up around those number. 200 is amazing. :readingtwo:

200-205 would be great, I'm glad you're having such a good reading year :D.

This is my best year since a really long time. I think I might've read more books when I was a child and young teenager, but I didn't keep count then so I don't know for sure (I borrowed tons of books from two libraries though and I re-read my own books often too), though I think I read longer books nowadays than back then, as children's books are generally shorter and sometimes have pictures. I have read 220 books so far, and I think I will get to.. maybe 230? Perhaps slightly above that (it'll depend on which books I read and how often I read etc). In a way it's kind of a shame we'll have to start again from 0 next year :D. But it's normal so :).

I think I'll be around my usual mid-80s mark, which I'm happy with considering I've read over a dozen of my 'mighty tomes' (those over 700 pages :shrug:) so far this year, plus the one I'm reading at the moment.  Next year I'm not going to bother counting at all, though.

Congrats on both the numbers as well as your 'mighty tomes' read :). I hope you will enjoy reading more next year, not counting books, maybe feel a bit more relaxed about it?

I think my total for the year will come in at around 30 or so which is the lowest since I joined the forum and started reading properly again. Last year I hit almost 80 and I'm kind of hoping that next year I'll be back up around those number. 200 is amazing. :readingtwo:

I hope you will have a better reading year next year, Brian :)!

Wow, well done!  :smile:

Thank you !  :D

Whee, you`ve done really well with your Mighty Tomes ; I`ve just not been that keen on the ones I listed at the start of the year ( though I read a few Isabel Allende books which were pretty long ). 

Thank you.  :D

Good Luck for next year ( 30`s still better than some years I had ).  :smile:

200-205 would be great, I'm glad you're having such a good reading year :D.

This is my best year since a really long time. I think I might've read more books when I was a child and young teenager, but I didn't keep count then so I don't know for sure (I borrowed tons of books from two libraries though and I re-read my own books often too), though I think I read longer books nowadays than back then, as children's books are generally shorter and sometimes have pictures. I have read 220 books so far, and I think I will get to.. maybe 230? Perhaps slightly above that (it'll depend on which books I read and how often I read etc). In a way it's kind of a shame we'll have to start again from 0 next year :D. But it's normal so :).

You`ve had a big reading year, that`s wonderful.  :D

You`ve had a big reading year, that`s wonderful.  :D

Thanks :D! I'm quite happy with it, I wasn't expecting it. Despite all the hardship the year has had and my low energy levels and depression, reading has been one of the things that have cheered me up and make me a bit happier :).

I tidied away my copy of Nine Coaches Waiting last night - the book which gave away so much in the blurb - and had a good look at the cover this time ( I`d only glanced at it before ) - guess what, it gives away something which happens in the last 15 pages of the book.  :doh:

Cover. 

Edited by Little Pixie

Thanks :D! I'm quite happy with it, I wasn't expecting it. Despite all the hardship the year has had and my low energy levels and depression, reading has been one of the things that have cheered me up and make me a bit happier :).

That`s great ; I think the joy I get from buying books has made me happy too. 

That's not good at all :doh::(! Stupid publishers.. It's such a shame, part of the thrill of reading a book for the first time is finding out what happens in the story (unless it's an information or reference book etc.). I don't understand why the publishers decide to put this cover on the book.