What's up in December?

frankie

I've just realised people are still talking about what's up in the November thread... Are we keenly wanting to hold on to November? :D

Can you believe it's December already? Where has the year gone...

What's up, people? :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to go to my local indie bookshop tomorrow.

There will be an event in my local town, in early February, when author Graham Simsion comes to talk about his novel The Rosie Project! How exciting!! I haven't read it yet, has anyone read it? Good or bad reports? Hopefully I'll get my ticket for the event tomorrow, as you get a signed copy and you can have a few words with the author (in a chit-chat signing thing).  :smile: 

Edited by Marie H

I have a tutorial tomorrow morning to go over some various aspects of my course and to tidy away any questions from the assignment due next week. Once my assignment has been finalised and submitted (12 Dec deadline) things start to slow down in the run up to Christmas study wise. I'm going to see Placebo play in Brixton on the 16th and my work shifts fall so that I am off over Christmas which is a big bonus.

My computer has been out of action all week, but I finally got it back yesterday evening! :smile2:  Still trying to catch up on here, as well as other things, although a bit busy this weekend with just normal running around jobs to do, but will hopefully be back up to speed by the end of the weekend. :D

Edited by chesilbeach

There will be an event in my local town, in early February, when author Graham Simsion comes to talk about his novel The Rosie Project! How exciting!! I haven't read it yet, has anyone read it? Good or bad reports? Hopefully I'll get my ticket for the event tomorrow, as you get a signed copy and you can have a few words with the author (in a chit-chat signing thing).  :smile: 

That's really exciting!! :) I know poppyshake has read and enjoyed the book, her review made me add the book to my wishlist :)

I have a tutorial tomorrow morning to go over some various aspects of my course and to tidy away any questions from the assignment due next week. Once my assignment has been finalised and submitted (12 Dec deadline) things start to slow down in the run up to Christmas study wise. I'm going to see Placebo play in Brixton on the 16th and my work shifts fall so that I am off over Christmas which is a big bonus.

Placebo? I'm hella jealous :D I hope you enjoy :)

My computer has been out of action all week, but I finally got it back yesterday evening! :smile2:  Still trying to catch up on here, as well as other things, although a bit busy this weekend with just normal running around jobs to do, but will hopefully be back up to speed by the end of the weekend. :D

Must've felt a bit weird not been able to come online whenever you wanted... Drats to malfunctioning computer! I'm glad you've had it sorted :)

I'm going to see Placebo play in Brixton on the 16th and my work shifts fall so that I am off over Christmas which is a big bonus.

Placebo! Ooh,  :animal:  :animal:  :animal: *green with envy*

That's really exciting!! :) I know poppyshake has read and enjoyed the book, her review made me add the book to my wishlist :)

Thanks frankie, I will mosey on down to poppyshakes for her thoughts for TRP soon. I mosey'd on down to the bookshop this morning, but they don't have the tickets yet, as the venue is not confirmed, but they will phone me when the tickets are available  :smile:

Thanks frankie, I will mosey on down to poppyshakes for her thoughts for TRP soon. I mosey'd on down to the bookshop this morning, but they don't have the tickets yet, as the venue is not confirmed, but they will phone me when the tickets are available  :smile:

I like that kind of service, them calling you at home when they have tickets, wohoo! :D

Edit: Did you manage to visit the bookshop without buying any books? :lurker:

Edited by frankie

Ok, the weather has changed......again.  It went down in the high 30's (F) last night, and won't get out of the 40's today or tonight.  It's cloudy, a bit rainy, and generally scummy.  Had to turn the heater on again, after having the a/c on for two days earlier in the week.  Insanity!

Bookshop without buying books!?  Horrors!  Bite your tongue, woman! :giggle2:

Never heard of Placebo, except as a sugar pill....... :lurker:

This week we managed to call in at the Manchester Christmas Markets.  We spent the afternoon and early evening mooching around and taking in the atmosphere and fabulous food!  I bought myself a lovely potted plant with Christmas decorations in and some lovely chocolates :D

Today we went to the Lancashire Market which is held a few times a year.  Mum, Dad and Grandma joined us, which was a lovely addition to the day.  I got to sample some gorgeous cheeses, including a sheep cheese.  I'm not usually that adventurous but I'm glad I gave it a go as it was delicious.  All my spends went on cake though!

Placebo? I'm hella jealous :D I hope you enjoy :)

Placebo! Ooh,  :animal:  :animal:  :animal: *green with envy*

I think this will the the fourth time I've seen them in recent years. I must admit, I'm not a fan of the new album but I love a lot of the older stuff so hopefully they won't just play new tracks.

Bookshop without buying books!?  Horrors!  Bite your tongue, woman! :giggle2:

:D Well... what can I say?

Probably nothing :D I'll bite my tongue! :D

Never heard of Placebo, except as a sugar pill....... :lurker:

It's in the water baby... *sings*

Oh and I just realised profanities will follow that line in the lyrics... :blush::lol:

I think this will the the fourth time I've seen them in recent years. I must admit, I'm not a fan of the new album but I love a lot of the older stuff so hopefully they won't just play new tracks.

So, so megajealous! I remember their first hit in Finland, it was great, but I didn't go out and buy the CD... Then when I started uni, my uni friend loved Placebo and I thought, 'wasn't it a 90s thing, are they still doing stuff??'.

I confess, I've not listened to all of their albums.. But the album called Meds I downloaded for some reason, can't remember why. Excellent album. And it has very special memories for me... (Started my own depression meds at the time, so ... :rolleyes::D)

Edit: Oh, and just remembered: When I thought I was coming to the UK to do my language practice thing, I discovered the song English Summer Rain and I used to listen to it and get so excited about coming to the UK... :D

Edited by frankie

Meds wasn't a huge hit with the critics over here but I really liked it and it's probably my favourite album of theirs.

Well, critics hardly ever know what's good, do they? :D I've really wanted to get to know more of their stuff, but I really can't afford to buy CDs and Spotify doesn't have all of their albums, unfortunately.

Edit: Kabooom. 11,000 posts :cool:

Edit2: Not that I'm counting... :cool:

Edited by frankie

My goodness Frankie, that is a definite KABOOM! :D

We had a lovely day today. We travelled up first thing to Birmingham to visit niece, nephew-in-law and great nephews for a Christmas lunch, as it looks as if we will be unable to join them on the day itself. Lunch was astonishingly good and I ate far too much of it. We then relaxed for a few hours chatting and playing quizzes with each other. A really great day. We left just before 7 pm and had a clear run home. :smile:

I feel full and happy - and was even sent home with some leftovers! :D

My goodness Frankie, that is a definite KABOOM! :D

We had a lovely day today. We travelled up first thing to Birmingham to visit niece, nephew-in-law and great nephews for a Christmas lunch, as it looks as if we will be unable to join them on the day itself. Lunch was astonishingly good and I ate far too much of it. We then relaxed for a few hours chatting and playing quizzes with each other. A really great day. We left just before 7 pm and had a clear run home. :smile:

Chrissy - you have such wonderful trips. Love reading about them.

Chrissy - you have such wonderful trips. Love reading about them.

They always tend to involve food though Muggle Not - it's little wonder that I am as 'cuddly' as I am! :character0104:   :giggle:

The second main ingredient is laughter - and the big laugh of today was my 7 year old great-nephew being told he had one last chance to behave. He asked his Dad in all seriousness whether he could use just 'half a chance' and 'save the other half for later in case he needed it'!   :giggle2:

They always tend to involve food though Muggle Not - it's little wonder that I am as 'cuddly' as I am! :character0104:   :giggle:

The second main ingredient is laughter - and the big laugh of today was my 7 year old great-nephew being told he had one last chance to behave. He asked his Dad in all seriousness whether he could use just 'half a chance' and 'save the other half for later in case he needed it'!   :giggle2:

That is really funny. He sounds like me in my childhood. Only I needed a dozen chances. :)

I hate to say it, but hell has officially frozen over.  Do you know how I know?  I live in it, aka MN, where the temp is currently -5 below F (-20 below C) :cold:  Muggle, watch out because I might be moving to NC sooner than I think! 

Good news is that we baked 2 giant pans of baklava today and the house smelled great.  I'll post a photo in my thread :).  Tomorrow I'll be baking ginger snaps, all in preparation for Christmas packages to be sent to my siblings on the west coast plus a few close friends.

I hate to say it, but hell has officially frozen over.  Do you know how I know?  I live in it, aka MN, where the temp is currently -5 below F (-20 below C) :cold:  Muggle, watch out because I might be moving to NC sooner than I think! 

Good news is that we baked 2 giant pans of baklava today and the house smelled great.  I'll post a photo in my thread :).  Tomorrow I'll be baking ginger snaps, all in preparation for Christmas packages to be sent to my siblings on the west coast plus a few close friends.

Ginger snaps are a favorite of mine. :)

Darn pecefield, that is pretty cold. Are you getting any of the stuff that is white and falls.

btw, I checked out the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and it is a pretty highly rated wine. It has a rating of 90 which is very, very, good. See. you have good taste. :)

Edited by muggle not

x

I hope you have / had fun :)

x

I hope you have fun seeing Placebo :)

x

I'm glad to hear the computer is fixed :)! It's never nice when it doesn't work well :(.

Ok, the weather has changed......again. It went down in the high 30's (F) last night, and won't get out of the 40's today or tonight. It's cloudy, a bit rainy, and generally scummy. Had to turn the heater on again, after having the a/c on for two days earlier in the week. Insanity!

x

It sounds cold :(! Is it usual for your area? We've had the heater on since September or October I think, the usual I suppose, I can't quite remember.

x

This week we managed to call in at the Manchester Christmas Markets. We spent the afternoon and early evening mooching around and taking in the atmosphere and fabulous food! I bought myself a lovely potted plant with Christmas decorations in and some lovely chocolates :D

Today we went to the Lancashire Market which is held a few times a year. Mum, Dad and Grandma joined us, which was a lovely addition to the day. I got to sample some gorgeous cheeses, including a sheep cheese. I'm not usually that adventurous but I'm glad I gave it a go as it was delicious. All my spends went on cake though!

x

This sounds like fun :)!

x

Edit: Kabooom. 11,000 posts :cool:

Edit2: Not that I'm counting... :cool:

x

Awesome :D, congratulations!

x

They always tend to involve food though Muggle Not - it's little wonder that I am as 'cuddly' as I am! :character0104::giggle:

The second main ingredient is laughter - and the big laugh of today was my 7 year old great-nephew being told he had one last chance to behave. He asked his Dad in all seriousness whether he could use just 'half a chance' and 'save the other half for later in case he needed it'! :giggle2:

x

I'm glad to hear you had fun with your family :)!

x

I hate to say it, but hell has officially frozen over. Do you know how I know? I live in it, aka MN, where the temp is currently -5 below F (-20 below C) :cold: Muggle, watch out because I might be moving to NC sooner than I think!

Good news is that we baked 2 giant pans of baklava today and the house smelled great. I'll post a photo in my thread :). Tomorrow I'll be baking ginger snaps, all in preparation for Christmas packages to be sent to my siblings on the west coast plus a few close friends.

x

Cold!! Good luck with the baking :).

Yeah, I'm very 'old school' too, there has been better than Teenage Angst, Nancy Boy & Hang on to your IQ.

It sounds like you had a great day Chrissy :hug: .. it does help get into the spirit when you have an early celebration like that.

I had a lot of things planned for December baking wise but I always forget that when it comes there's a zillion other things to do. I seriously need to make some rocky road this week or else Christmas might as well be cancelled :D .. I must have it on the run-up (or the walk-up as I prefer to call it :giggle:)

Tomorrow I have got to look out my swiss roll tin which hasn't been seen since probably around 2004 .. it's never been used in this house so it's whereabouts are unknown. It's probably stacked somewhere with other tins .. possibly right at the bottom .. so it's bound to get noisy. I have ridiculously promised someone a chocolate log for next weekend .. why did I do that? :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

Marcia you sound so sorted .. I need some of your composure and organisation skills  :blush2:  Could you mail me a chocolate log by next weekend? :D