Hello

tuxedo cat

Reading has been a big part of my life since the early days. I grew up in the middle of no where, without close neighbors. During daylight, I roamed the woods observing nature. At night, books were my companions. I loved everthing from Mark Twain to Herman Melville. Since my father was a WWII vet, I read a lot of military history, particularly about the Pacific Theatre in which he served. In high school, one of my English instructors gave me a list of 100 books every on should read. I respected him enough to read all of them, thus gaining a entry to some of the classics. I only had to take one unit of English in college, and the professor succeeded in beating any self esteem out of me with things like "You have good ideas, too bad you can't express them."

Over the last few years, I seem to have become addicted to mystery writers. Karin Slaughter, Michael Connelly, and Margaret Maron are some of my favorite US authors. When I read The Breakers by Minette Walters, I got hooked on UK authors. She is one of my favorites, along with Peter Robinson, Colin Dexter and others. Most of the time the language differences (especially slang) had enough context for me to figure out the meaning. If not, there was a forum,I could post to asking for help. This was not really significant until I started reading Ian rankin, Denise Mina, Stephen Booth, Manda Scott and the many other Scottish writers. If the author was someone I really liked, I bought the UK editions. Back then the exchange rate of dollar-to-pound was such that I could order the true first editions instead of the American editions.

I've made an effort to read other foreign authors, and have learned a lot in the process. When I got a book signed by Qiu Xiaolong, he included an inscription in Chinese. When I asked a co-worker to translate it for me she couldn't. She was my age, and the author was much younger. She couldn't read the simplified alphabet. I found it very sad that her native language had changed to the point she could no longer read it. Sorry to run on, I just got carried away. I look forward to reading the thoughts of other posters, and will add something if I have anything germane to say.

"Karin Slaughter is great, isn't she? :) If you haven't tried Jeffery Deaver yet, I'd recommend his Lincoln Rhyme -series, starting with The Bone Collector :)"

Ms. Slaughter is not only an excellent writer, she is a really nice person. When our library reopens, I'll give Mr. Deaver a try. I am not familiar with his works.

To the others who welcomed me, I thank you very much. I have found readers to be a nice group of people.