Hello all

Harrison

Hello all,

I am an avid reader who enjoys reading and discussing books, and I come from a family who reads, exchanges and discusses books, and I look forward to doing the same here.

I simply enjoy reading and will read most anything, but I tend to most enjoy History, Fantasy, and the Classics. Some of my favorite authors include Tolkien, Patrick Rothfuss, Asimov, Frank Herbert, Jules Verne, Clive Cussler, R.A.Salvatore, David Gemmel, Terry Brooks, Brent Weeks, Louis L'amour, the list goes on and on really.

I am a full time student in my final semester of college going for my Associates in Welding Technologies. I am 21 and work full time as a technician at a foundry, I also enjoy woodworking, metalworking, auto mechanics, writing, swing dancing, and reading amongst many other things. 

And there you have it, a tidbit about me :)

Welcome to the forums Harrison. :)

I love fantasy too! My favourites from your list of authors are Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read) and Tolkien. I also quite enjoy Brent Weeks: I've read the Night Angel trilogy and have recently started with the Lightbringer series. :)

Have you read any Joe Abercrombie?

Welcome here :)! I also love fantasy. A lot of the fantasy authors you mentioned are on my TBR (to be read, on my shelves but I haven't read them yet). I'm quite excited to read a lot of them, but I also love other genres so I'm mixing it up in my reading. I have a lot of unread books. Some of my favourite fantasy authors are Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, David B. Coe, James Clemens, Karen Miller, Terry Pratchett, Tad Williams, Peter V. Brett, Maria V. Snyder, George R. R. Martin.

Strangely enough I read "welding technologies" as wedding technologies and was then wondering what that would mean :giggle:.

Thanks everyone! :)

Welcome to the forums Harrison. :)

I love fantasy too! My favourites from your list of authors are Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read) and Tolkien. I also quite enjoy Brent Weeks: I've read the Night Angel trilogy and have recently started with the Lightbringer series. :)

Have you read any Joe Abercrombie?

I am eagerly awaiting Patrick Rothfuss'  next book! I've yet to start Brent Weeks Lightbringer series, but I've read plenty of good reviews on it. 

I haven't read any of Joe Abercrombie's books, what are the books about? 

Welcome here :)! I also love fantasy. A lot of the fantasy authors you mentioned are on my TBR (to be read, on my shelves but I haven't read them yet). I'm quite excited to read a lot of them, but I also love other genres so I'm mixing it up in my reading. I have a lot of unread books. Some of my favourite fantasy authors are Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, David B. Coe, James Clemens, Karen Miller, Terry Pratchett, Tad Williams, Peter V. Brett, Maria V. Snyder, George R. R. Martin.

Strangely enough I read "welding technologies" as wedding technologies and was then wondering what that would mean :giggle:.

I've read books by many of the authors you mentioned as well. And dontcha know, digital weddings are all the rave  ;)

Hi Harrison, welcome to the forum it must be lovely to come from a family of book lovers. Do you all have similar tastes in books ?

Coming from a family of readers has been enjoyable, we exchange opinions and viewpoints, compare story lines and characters, and regularly buy books for each other. We have a variety of tastes, but any of us will read anything another recommends, and often pass around a book or series. My mom is a mystery and thriller reader, my dad is a sci-fi and fantasy reader, and my sister is a history and fantasy reader.

Welcome :smile:   Always good to see the late, great David Gemmell get a mention :smile:

I'll heartily recommend Joe Abercrombie, too.  He writes gritty heroic fantasy, kind of like Gemmell, but with added swearing :giggle2:   You can try the start of his first book, The Blade Itself, here :smile:

Coming from a family of readers has been enjoyable, we exchange opinions and viewpoints, compare story lines and characters, and regularly buy books for each other. We have a variety of tastes, but any of us will read anything another recommends, and often pass around a book or series. My mom is a mystery and thriller reader, my dad is a sci-fi and fantasy reader, and my sister is a history and fantasy reader.

x

That's pretty amazing :)!

My family reads too, though my parents don't read that often since they have busy jobs. My brother doesn't read often either since he prefers to do other things and has a busy life too. I read the most, though my sister reads quite a bit too. Our tastes are overlapping in part but also different (we both like fantasy but she doesn't like a lot of other genres that I do like, ie. science-fiction, contemporary fiction, chick-lit). I'm the only one who really loves books a lot, I always love talking about books when I feel comfortable, but my family less so. We talk about it now and then, though :).

I'll heartily recommend Joe Abercrombie, too.  He writes gritty heroic fantasy, kind of like Gemmell, but with added swearing :giggle2:   You can try the start of his first book, The Blade Itself, here :smile:

What he said. :D

And Rothfuss' next book is supposedly out next year . .  . fingers crossed! :exc:

Hello all,

I am an avid reader who enjoys reading and discussing books, and I come from a family who reads, exchanges and discusses books, and I look forward to doing the same here.

I simply enjoy reading and will read most anything, but I tend to most enjoy History, Fantasy, and the Classics. Some of my favorite authors include Tolkien, Patrick Rothfuss, Asimov, Frank Herbert, Jules Verne, Clive Cussler, R.A.Salvatore, David Gemmel, Terry Brooks, Brent Weeks, Louis L'amour, the list goes on and on really.

I am a full time student in my final semester of college going for my Associates in Welding Technologies. I am 21 and work full time as a technician at a foundry, I also enjoy woodworking, metalworking, auto mechanics, writing, swing dancing, and reading amongst many other things. 

And there you have it, a tidbit about me :)

Welcome aboard. Glad to see that there is another forum member that reads Louis L'amour.  Many, many years ago I subscribed to his book of the month club and collected every book of his. I have read the entire collection twice. Forty Seven of his books have been made into movies.

Have you read any John Steinbeck.