Hello!

Mila

Hello!

My name is Mila and I’m from Russia. Right now I’m studying for English exams, which I hope to pass in the summer or next autumn. So, of course, I need practice not only in grammar but in writing also.  And I was searching something more local, and then something more suitable for my exams. But it was quite boring. So I told myself to stop and think. “You are doing this exam for yourself, because you want to. Find something that you would like!” Yeah, and then it became obviously for me what I need to find. I love reading. When someone asks me what my hobby is I don’t even need to think. My answer is, “I read.” I read a lot. And my new search brought me there!

I love reading classics (Charlotte Brontë, Lewis Carroll, Daniel Defoe, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Edgar Allan Poe, William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Oscar Wilde, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Leo Tolstoy).

From time to time I quite enjoy poetry (Paul-Marie Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, William Butler Yeats).

I read a lot of sci-fi, fantasy, fiction, mystery, horror and etc. (Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, John Tolkien, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Ursula Le Guin, Howard Lovecraft , Roger Zelazny, Christopher Stasheff, Robert Asprin, Gordon Dickson, Andre Norton, Joanne Rowling, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, Patrick Süskind, John Fowles, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Graham Joyce, Chuck Palahniuk, Dan Brown, Paulo Coelho).

I’m not a big fan of crime fiction, but I read some more classics works (Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, Hercule Poirot and Miss Jane Marple by Agatha Christie), and some thrillers (Hannibal Lecter by Thomas Harris, Dexter by Jeff Lindsay).

I hope to find there more friends with whom I can discuss all wonders of books!

Welcome here :)! You mention a lot of authors I like or that are on my shelves but I haven't read yet.

I love Jane Eyre, I haven't yet read The Professor. I liked The Hobbit but I haven't yet read The Lord of the Rings trilogy or The Silmarillion (I'm not sure how to spell it atm). I liked Dune. I loved The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. Le Guin and have a few other books by her unread on my shelf and a few on my wishlist. I loved The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and have one other book by Douglas Adams to read (on Kindle). I love Terry Pratchett's books and have read about half of those I own (I own most of them, if not all, as far as I know, other than very recent releases). I love IT by Stephen King, recently I've reread it for the 4th or something time. I have other books by him on my shelf but I haven't read them yet. I liked some of Anne Rice's books but I haven't read all those I have.

Here are some of authors that you mentioned, of whom I've book on my shelves but I haven't read them yet: Lewis Carroll, Daniel Defoe, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Edgar Allan Poe, William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Oscar Wilde,  Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Leo Tolstoy, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury (one of shelf, one on wishlist), H.P. Lovecraft, Roger Zelazny, Andre Norton, Dean Koontz, Neil Gaiman, Dan Brown, Agatha Christie. Dexter is on my wishlist.

I hope to see you around the forums :)!

I read both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I could say that I prefer The Hobbit. I love original Dune, but
not Children of Dune and later books. At first I began reading King’s The Dark Tower series. And only after that I read The Shining, Pet Sematary, Bag of Bones, It and some others. I read only about half of Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles. Dexter was quite fine to read before it began to be more mystery than crime. The last books that I read were by Neil Gaiman, and I really adore them.

Welcome to the forums, Mila! I see you have a lot of great authors under your belt. :D

And I didn't write all Russian authors that I read, only more world-known ones! ;)

Nope, don't think so (125 books!!! I'm a little jelaous). Right now I have this loooong list with names like "Vocabulary, Reading, Writing, Listening for IELTS" and so on and so forth. But at this moment I'm reading Stephen King's "On writing", cause I'm lazy.))

Welcome Mila. You have a great list of SF authors there. lots from the 50s and 60s which is great. I was especially impressed to see Andre Norton. Have you read Judgement On Janus and Victory On Janus?  I re-read those last year as they made a big impression on me when I first read them as a young teen . Your written English is good by the way.

Welcome to the Forums Mila  :smile: .

You have a great list of 'classics' :smile: .

I hope you enjoy the forums.

Thank you. My mother loves reading “classics” and my father is Sci-Fi’s fan. So when I was growing up, of course, these are the genres that I read most of the time.

Welcome Mila. You have a great list of SF authors there. lots from the 50s and 60s which is great. I was especially impressed to see Andre Norton. Have you read Judgement On Janus and Victory On Janus?  I re-read those last year as they made a big impression on me when I first read them as a young teen . Your written English is good by the way.

Thank you. No, I only read several books from Witch World. But I read summaries for both books and they are quite intriguing. I’m hoping to find them as audiobooks. I don’t have time to read something like that because it’s easy for me to understand and I need to work on my vocabulary. But I also need to brush up my pronunciation. So this is my way to combine something I love with something I need.