Your Book Activity - November 2013

frankie

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - I missed that!  :)

Well I'm happy I pointed it out to you then :D

I guess not everyone can like him, but he's a childhood hero of mine (the proper one - not that Disney nonsense!).  :giggle:

Yes, I think Disney's ruined that one for me... I think Disney has ruined a lot of things for me.

Quite honestly I couldn't say if I like him or not because I've never read any of the books or even seen him on TV, or anything. I guess I was focused on other animal characters... Although I can't think of any... I guess I've always been human-centered. Very boring!

Yes, I think Disney's ruined that one for me... I think Disney has ruined a lot of things for me.

Yeah ... boo Disney!! :D Ruining frankie's opinion of WTP .. outrageous!!

Quite honestly I couldn't say if I like him or not because I've never read any of the books or even seen him on TV, or anything. I guess I was focused on other animal characters... Although I can't think of any... I guess I've always been human-centered. Very boring!

You couldn't be less boring darling :hug: Hopefully you'll get around to acquainting yourself with Winnie and his chums. Obviously childhood is the best time to read him but adults can still enjoy him I think (I haven't read him in ages but remember the stories as being so endearing but not saccharine at all .. just sweet and a little odd but in a good way.)

I'll write down a few Winnie quotes ... hope I'm not 'doing a Disney' :giggle:

Piglet: "How do you spell 'love'?" - Pooh: "You don't spell it...you feel it."

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” :blush2:

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?”  :D 

“When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.” (very wise words these .. I think Pooh is a bit of a philosopher :D)

“Hallo, Rabbit,” he said, “is that you?” "Let’s pretend it isn’t,” said Rabbit, “and see what happens.”  :D 

Yeah ... boo Disney!! :D Ruining frankie's opinion of WTP .. outrageous!!

What I hate most about Disney is that because Sarah Polley was no fan of the enterprise and the bigness, and  the anti-Canadianism (or shall we say pro-Americanism) of it, she left Road to Avonlea, one of my most favorite TV shows when I was growing up... I've never forgiven Disney for that! :censored:  The show was not the same without Sarah... :( But I admire her for having such admirable principals and the courage to stand up against such a large enterprise... Disney didn't like it that she wore a peace sign at a gala... :o !!! :no:

You couldn't be less boring darling :hug: Hopefully you'll get around to acquainting yourself with Winnie and his chums. Obviously childhood is the best time to read him but adults can still enjoy him I think (I haven't read him in ages but remember the stories as being so endearing but not saccharine at all .. just sweet and a little odd but in a good way.)

I'll write down a few Winnie quotes ... hope I'm not 'doing a Disney' :giggle:

Piglet: "How do you spell 'love'?" - Pooh: "You don't spell it...you feel it."

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” :blush2:

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?”  :D 

“When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.” (very wise words these .. I think Pooh is a bit of a philosopher :D)

“Hallo, Rabbit,” he said, “is that you?” "Let’s pretend it isn’t,” said Rabbit, “and see what happens.”  :D 

You had me by the last quote. Yes, let's see what happens :D Thank you for the quotes! :flowers2:  I've now also realised that I definitely need to read the book in English... Something like that, things are bound to be lost in translation.

What I hate most about Disney is that because Sarah Polley was no fan of the enterprise and the bigness, and  the anti-Canadianism (or shall we say pro-Americanism) of it, she left Road to Avonlea, one of my most favorite TV shows when I was growing up... I've never forgiven Disney for that! :censored: The show was not the same without Sarah... :( But I admire her for having such admirable principals and the courage to stand up against such a large enterprise... Disney didn't like it that she wore a peace sign at a gala... :o !!! :no:

:o What a shame :( Still, as you say, well done to her for sticking to her principles. I never saw any of those .. I saw the features with Canadian actress Megan Follows and thought she was very good. I think it was Canadian made though.

The trouble with Disney (and I have fond as well as not so fond memories of them) is that they wield a rather big stick with which to bash people. I don't suppose they hear many 'nos' or 'won't dos'.

You had me by the last quote. Yes, let's see what happens :D Thank you for the quotes! :flowers2:  I've now also realised that I definitely need to read the book in English... Something like that, things are bound to be lost in translation.

Yes ... good :smile: I'm going to re-visit it too as it's part of the counties challenge. I'm going to be knocking on a lot of familiar doors next year (hope they'll be kind and invite me in for tea :D) .. it'll be interesting to see what I make of the stories the second time around :smile: Of course, I'm looking forward to those I haven't read the most.

Husband actually bought me one of the Winnie books, as I've never read any.  It's sitting on my night stand.  Unread.  Yet.

Loved. Loved. Loved. Black Beauty.  Cried like a baby.  Of course, I was a baby.....:D

Whoops!  Forgot to post that I'm still reading House of Sand and Fog....love it.  Even though it is so intense, and the story is building to something b-a-d, I can only read 35-40 pages at the time.  I think I'm about 140(ish) pages in.

Bought Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller about two weeks ago. Managed around 90 pages in that time and have now given up. The story/plot is ridiculously slow, and the sarcasm/attempts at wit every second or third sentence quickly becomes excruciating. Just could not get into the book. Luckily I have been developing a pile of TBR books so I'll be jumping straight into one of them in the hopes of forgetting about this one!

I'm not surprised to hear that.  I know he is only playing a character on the TV series House, but the character is so out-of-control-awful that I can't stand the actor on account of it!  Sheesh.  :)  The sarcasm in the book sounds as though it's reflective of his character on TV.  :roll:

I'm not surprised to hear that. I know he is only playing a character on the TV series House, but the character is so out-of-control-awful that I can't stand the actor on account of it! Sheesh. :) The sarcasm in the book sounds as though it's reflective of his character on TV. :roll:

Oh no! I love Hugh Laurie and House, I think Hugh is brilliant especially when paired with Stephen Fry and his House character has made me laugh and cry. My only complaint would be that the medical story lines can be a little repetitive but I thought the personal journey that House made through the series was fantastic to watch. :)

I'm happy to have you accompany me, but do you mind re-reading the first book, as that's the one I'd like to start with? I mean if there's anything to start...

No, I don't mind re-reading it. My reading was very disjointed the first time - I read part of it one month and then waited a few months before reading the rest - so it would be good to read it again.

Oh you poor thing! :( No wonder you're keen on reading about him :no::empathy:

x

I've read four out of five stories of Christmas Books by Charles Dickens. I've made some good progress in Mind Gym 3: Relaties (relationships) too.

:o What a shame :( Still, as you say, well done to her for sticking to her principles. I never saw any of those .. I saw the features with Canadian actress Megan Follows and thought she was very good. I think it was Canadian made though.

I'm probably missing something, but what do you mean by the features? :blush:

Sarah Polley is such a great actress, she's done some brilliant movies. And so, so beautiful, too :) I'm a fan :blush:

The trouble with Disney (and I have fond as well as not so fond memories of them) is that they wield a rather big stick with which to bash people. I don't suppose they hear many 'nos' or 'won't dos'.

This is exactly what I'm getting at, yes! I do like Donald Duck and the sort, I used to read them religiously when I was a kid. We had the Donald Duck come in the mail every week and we had these big folders where we then put them... We still have them somewhere. I have to ask Mum where they are when I go home. We also had those bigger books with the longers stories... What do you call the Donald Duck 'magazines'? They're not newspapers, tabloids, and I wouldn't call them magazines, either. Hmph.

My favorite was Superduck / Duck Avenger :)

Yes ... good :smile: I'm going to re-visit it too as it's part of the counties challenge. I'm going to be knocking on a lot of familiar doors next year (hope they'll be kind and invite me in for tea :D) .. it'll be interesting to see what I make of the stories the second time around :smile: Of course, I'm looking forward to those I haven't read the most.

Oh they'll be very welcoming, I'm sure :) As long as you knock the door with a smile on your face and don't go demanding for the tea the second you get in :D

Husband actually bought me one of the Winnie books, as I've never read any.  It's sitting on my night stand.  Unread.  Yet.

Ooooh, my partner in crime! Another person who's not read Winnie the Pooh! :D:friends3:

Whoops!  Forgot to post that I'm still reading House of Sand and Fog....love it.  Even though it is so intense, and the story is building to something b-a-d, I can only read 35-40 pages at the time.  I think I'm about 140(ish) pages in.

I'm getting rather curious about this... I'm going to google the synopsis after this!

I'm not surprised to hear that.  I know he is only playing a character on the TV series House, but the character is so out-of-control-awful that I can't stand the actor on account of it!  Sheesh.  :)  The sarcasm in the book sounds as though it's reflective of his character on TV.  :roll:

Have you not seen Wooster and Jeeves? That's Hugh Laurie in something completely different :D

Oh no! I love Hugh Laurie and House, I think Hugh is brilliant especially when paired with Stephen Fry and his House character has made me laugh and cry. My only complaint would be that the medical story lines can be a little repetitive but I thought the personal journey that House made through the series was fantastic to watch. :)

House is great :D I don't watch the series religiously, all the different illnesses and sicknesses make me paranoid :D But I think Laurie is great in that... Yes, House is insufferable most of the time, but he has his own demons. Don't we all!

Another plus point about Hugh is that Steve used to get told he looked like his double when he was younger, they're not entirely dissimilar now. :)

Ooooh! :D A definite bonus ;)

No, I don't mind re-reading it. My reading was very disjointed the first time - I read part of it one month and then waited a few months before reading the rest - so it would be good to read it again.

That's great!! :):friends3: 

I read more of Twenties Girl last night. Oh, it's brilliant. One of my favorite chick lit books. So many storylines to follow... And I like the characters :) I don't want it to end!

I am now halfway through Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and it has just become more interesting. Which is about time, as it's been a chore to read so far. I haven't read any more of Chekhov's The Shooting Party since the first 14 pages 

when I started the book weeks ago  :blush2: .

I see that The Howling Miller by Arto Paasilinna should be waiting for me at the library on Monday  :smile: . It was "on order" earlier this weeks, but It's arrived in the county library now - so I will get a brand new, unread and untouched book for me! I love new books  :D . Now I hope my mojo kicks in pretty damn quick, as I've got to do some serious reading ahead in the next few weeks. :readingtwo: 

I see that The Howling Miller by Arto Paasilinna should be waiting for me at the library on Monday  :smile: . It was "on order" earlier this weeks, but It's arrived in the county library now - so I will get a brand new, unread and untouched book for me! I love new books  :D . Now I hope my mojo kicks in pretty damn quick, as I've got to do some serious reading ahead in the next few weeks. :readingtwo: 

:o  Did you know that it's a Finnish book? You're on a Finnish roll... :giggle2: I hope you enjoy the book, I haven't read anything by Paasilinna so far, shame on me.

I've had a bit of a busy time at work lately, so haven't been able to concentrate much on reading, and I've just been reading some light hearted comic books - the Poor Relation series by M. C. Beaton.  I'm halfway through book five now, and will finish off the series this weekend.

I'm also almost finished listening to Pride and Prejudice read by Lindsay Duncan, which has been a fabulous way to relive one of my favourite books!

Went to my local book group meeting this week as well, and have come back with a book I've never heard of before, Crow Stone by Jenni Mills.

Have spent a lot of the day on the English Counties Challenge thread (sorry for filling up all your New Content views :blush:), and am really excited to start on some of the books now.

Have spent a lot of the day on the English Counties Challenge thread (sorry for filling up all your New Content views :blush:), and am really excited to start on some of the books now.

For some odd reason I haven't seen any of those thread on 'view new content', even though I know they are in the challenge section and I haven't marked that section as something I don't want to see new content of. :shrug: Actually, I don't see new posts from the original English Counties thread, either, now that I think about it! :o I wonder why that is...

Edit: The only way I've been able to see you've set up the threads is in that box in the right corner, the box of 6 or so latest new topics, on the forum's main page, or what is it called.

Edited by frankie

You're on a Finnish roll... :giggle2:

:D Is that like a Swiss roll? :D

Am making good progress with The Luminaries and looking forward to finishing it and not having arm ache anymore :D .. Christmas shopping is getting in the way otherwise it would be finished .. probably :blush2: Am over a hundred pages into A Fraction of the Whole and enjoying it .. I don't know if the same could be said for The Turn of the Screw .. it's weird and creepy as you'd expect but Henry James has a strange style of writing .. I can't quite get on with him :D Haven't read an awful lot more of The Greengage Summer as I sort of committed myself to reading it to Alan and he's not been at home much to hear it .. I'm sure the two aren't connected :blush2: I love what I've read of it so far :smile: Was going to download Goldfinch by Donna Tartt to listen to but then decided to give my brain a holiday and go for Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan instead as I enjoyed her earlier book about the Cupcake Cafe and it might just take my mind away from stressing (but I forgot .. it's going to mention the C word every five mins :doh: :D) I'll probably download Goldfinch in December .. it's getting good reviews. 

I like to buy people books for Christmas but it really is quite amazing how many books I find that I want to read whilst I'm supposed to be looking for them :giggle: 

I'm probably missing something, but what do you mean by the features? :blush:

I meant feature length .. like films but I think these were made for TV. They may well have been serialised in the first place I don't know .. but I saw them in two (I think) large lumps :D

Sarah Polley is such a great actress, she's done some brilliant movies. And so, so beautiful, too :) I'm a fan :blush:

I will definitely look out for her :)

This is exactly what I'm getting at, yes! I do like Donald Duck and the sort, I used to read them religiously when I was a kid. We had the Donald Duck come in the mail every week and we had these big folders where we then put them... We still have them somewhere. I have to ask Mum where they are when I go home. We also had those bigger books with the longers stories... What do you call the Donald Duck 'magazines'? They're not newspapers, tabloids, and I wouldn't call them magazines, either. Hmph.

I love Donald .. what a guy!! He absolutely creases me up when he flies into a rage. Mickey on the other hand I can take or leave .. are you allowed to say that? .. well I have .. they should have given the main gig to the duck :D

Oh they'll be very welcoming, I'm sure :) As long as you knock the door with a smile on your face and don't go demanding for the tea the second you get in :D

How did you know I did that? :giggle: 

:D Is that like a Swiss roll? :D

:( No... the Finnish roll is not quite that delicious... But it's a booky, sophisticated roll, and therefore it appeals to everyone on here :exc:  :lol:

Am making good progress with The Luminaries and looking forward to finishing it and not having arm ache anymore :D .

Did you measure muscles before reading, have they grown much?

I like to buy people books for Christmas but it really is quite amazing how many books I find that I want to read whilst I'm supposed to be looking for them :giggle: 

:D Blast that Christmas shopping!

I meant feature length .. like films but I think these were made for TV. They may well have been serialised in the first place I don't know .. but I saw them in two (I think) large lumps :D

Um... I'm still quite not sure where you are getting at... A feature length  of Road to Avonlea? They have made a TV movie of it? If that's the case, I didn't know! :o

I will definitely look out for her :)

I would recommend Weight of Water (it's based on a true story, and it's also an Anita Shreve book, the only I've read by her), or Go.

I love Donald .. what a guy!! He absolutely creases me up when he flies into a rage. Mickey on the other hand I can take or leave .. are you allowed to say that? .. well I have .. they should have given the main gig to the duck :D

I think you're allowed to say that... Or at least I hope so, because I've never been particularly keen on Mickey... :giggle: Although I did enjoy the detective side of things with him :yes:

How did you know I did that? :giggle: 

I had a feeling... :rolleyes::lol:

:o  Did you know that it's a Finnish book? You're on a Finnish roll... :giggle2: I hope you enjoy the book, I haven't read anything by Paasilinna so far, shame on me.

:o No, I didn’t know that Arto was Finnish. I seem to be having a Finnish-fest at the moment  :D  :giggle:.

I found a list (probably from goodreads) of Scandinavian and Nordic authors about a year ago. It is difficult to find any Scandinavian or Nordic books that are not detective fiction nowadays.  I’m sure there are books that are written and published, but not well promoted in the UK :shrug: . I thought The Year of the Hare would be good, but The Howling Miller seems a bit more interesting, in a sinister way.  A man who howls at the moon.....  :wolf: . It should be good!

:o No, I didn’t know that Arto was Finnish. I seem to be having a Finnish-fest at the moment  :D  :giggle:.

Oh yes... :giggle2: Good times! :D Accidental as they are... I hope you enjoy the book! :)

I found a list (probably from goodreads) of Scandinavian and Nordic authors about a year ago. It is difficult to find any Scandinavian or Nordic books that are not detective fiction nowadays.  I’m sure there are books that are written and published, but not well promoted in the UK :shrug: . I thought The Year of the Hare would be good, but The Howling Miller seems a bit more interesting, in a sinister way.  A man who howls at the moon.....  :wolf: . It should be good!

I can imagine that... The Nordic crime is doing so well at the moment, that there's no room for the 'normal' books. Even I wouldn't know what else to recommend to you, you having already read Purge, because I don't think any of the other Finnish novels I've read have been translated into English... Except for The Unknown Soldier. Now that is a good one! Which is quite surprising, I thought it would be boring, and I never liked war books to begin with, but I changed my mind about them when I read this one :)

The movie is very depressing, so I'd imagine the book to be the same. :thud:

frankie wrote:

Have you not seen Wooster and Jeeves? That's Hugh Laurie in something completely different :D

No, I haven't.  Hopefully that would put new light on Mr. Laurie. :cool:

I wonder if he is so bad tempered in House on account of having to put on an American accent.....?  heh

Edited by pontalba