Your Book Activity - September 2013

chesilbeach

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought myself a kindle paperwhite today, is anyone here an amazon prime member, and is it worth it?

I also bought No Mercy: True Stories of Disaster, Survival and Brutality - Eleanor Learmonth & Jenny Tabakoff

and

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

Edited by Devi

Yep, I have the sequels. :)

I haven't been trusting the first impressions I've had of some characters, so I guess my instincts are going to prove correct. :)

I think so, too! It'll be interesting to hear how your views on some of the characters might change over the next book in the series :) How far into the book are you now?

Well done :)! Sometimes it's nice to be a bit lazy, isn't it? (and this is coming from me, I'm normally not lazy at all and don't enjoy being lazy, most of the time)

Did you like Pretty Polly?

Today I finished reading Temple Grandin - Animals Make Us Human and I've read more in Robert Jordan - A Wheel of Time 0: New Spring. I'm about two thirds through that, at the moment. I've also put a few more books on the TBR-soon in the past few days. I'm not sure yet which paper book I'll read when I'm done with this paper book (on the Kindle I might read a book about organising).

I bought myself a kindle paperwhite today, is anyone here an amazon prime member, and is it worth it?

Yes, and yes. :)

I've been a Prime Member for, I think, 8 years.  I know I've saved tons in shipping charges, and they are very good about the two-day shipping.  Just last week I'd ordered two books, and they said they would be delivered Saturday, then on Saturday morning I received an email from them saying that they were sorry there had been a delay somehow.  And, guess what?  I received the books on Saturday anyhow.  They'd overnighted them on Friday evening, I got them Saturday afternoon. 

Now they have added perks, like many free movies to stream, and you can borrow a book on kindle every month. 

I used to even order household paper goods from them, on the Prime...no charge.  I'd order it through them when their prices were cheaper, which was not always.

Anyhow, to keep on topic in this post.....I've made much progress in The Infatuations.  Am now about 3/4ths of the way through.  It's turning quite chilling.

Yes, and yes. :)

I've been a Prime Member for, I think, 8 years.  I know I've saved tons in shipping charges, and they are very good about the two-day shipping.  Just last week I'd ordered two books, and they said they would be delivered Saturday, then on Saturday morning I received an email from them saying that they were sorry there had been a delay somehow.  And, guess what?  I received the books on Saturday anyhow.  They'd overnighted them on Friday evening, I got them Saturday afternoon. 

Now they have added perks, like many free movies to stream, and you can borrow a book on kindle every month. 

I used to even order household paper goods from them, on the Prime...no charge.  I'd order it through them when their prices were cheaper, which was not always.

Anyhow, to keep on topic in this post.....I've made much progress in The Infatuations.  Am now about 3/4ths of the way through.  It's turning quite chilling.

Thanks for that! I've never ordered from them but my partner does all the time. Sorry for going off topic.

I've been going nuts downloading all the free books I can, and reading samples on my new kindle. I've been reading the first book in the last saga of Raymond E. Fiests The Chaoswar Saga - A Kingdom Besieged. I have to say I am glad its ending, it be nice to have a final conclusion to everything. That and i think its dragged on too long and could of ended a couple of sagas back in my opinion.

I think so, too! It'll be interesting to hear how your views on some of the characters might change over the next book in the series :) How far into the book are you now?

My progress has slowed a bit - only up to page 160. Hmm, think I'll go and read a chapter now before I buckle down to work. I love that the chapters are short - it suits me because I'm only able to snatch a few minutes here and there to read.

Devi, does it mean you've read all the other sagas? I have most of them on my shelf but I've only read the first one ages ago :blush:. I'm just reluctant to start too many series at once ><.

Yep, all 20+! I have been following a recommended reading guide he wrote up once, i can pass it on if you like. There was one particular saga, not essential to the main story that I absolutely loved, I can't remember what it was at this stage, but will get back to you on it. I definitely recommend reading this particular non essential set though.

Good luck in the hospital! I hope you enjoy the books!

P.S. Nothing necessarily wrong with pink, in my opinion. I like to wear some pink clothes now and then (ie. I have a vest that's a bit dark pink).

EDIT: On book related news, I finished my paper book (Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time 0: New Spring) so I'll have to think about which paper book to read next (I feel in the mood to read one of the books I ordered, but it's not here yet so I'll choose something else in the meantime I guess). I didn't write much in my notebooks, about books, today. I feel too tired for it now. Maybe later this week. Recently someone linked to a site called BookDigits (in another thread), I didn't want to spam that thread, but it looks interesting. Has anyone used it? I plan to take a closer look, sometime.

Edited by Athena

I've started on the Book of Lost Things. I enjoy it so far, even though it's set a little earlier than I usually like (I usually hate the WW eras).

I also noticed that, when starting the Alex Verus series I managed to get my hands on the second book instead of the first. Strangely, I did not noticed at all until after I actually got the other parts delivered.

I started reading Anne Mreijen & Marco Pauw - Unlimited: Chronisch boek zonder beperkingen and am about half way through it. I started to read Eileen Roth & Elizabeth Miles - Organizing for Dummies on the Kindle but have only read a little bit of it so far.

I finished reading Anne Mreijen & Marco Pauw - Unlimited: Chronisch Boek Zonder Beperkingen and have started Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones 1: Bridget Jones's Diary. I love the film so thought I'd try the original book. On the Kindle I'm reading Eileen Roth & Elizabeth Miles - Organizing for Dummies

Edited by Athena