Favourite Fictional Libraries and Bookshops

Kylie

What are your favourite fictional libraries (or even book shops) that have appeared in books and and movies?

If you can post a pic of the library/shop from the show/movie or quote a description from the book, that would be great! Otherwise, let us know what you love about them. :)

One of my favourites is the Cemetery of Forgotten Books in The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Here are a couple of excerpts from the book (excuse the length, but the descriptions are so lovely that I had a problem finding just a small quotation!):

A blue-tinted gloom obscured the sinuous contours of a marble staircase and a gallery of frescoes peopled with angels and fabulous creatures. We followed our host through a palatial corridor and arrived at a sprawling round hall, a virtual basilica of shadows spiraling up under a high glass dome, its dimness pierced by shafts of light that stabbed from above. A labyrinth of passageways and crammed bookshelves rose from base to pinnacle like a beehive woven with tunnels, steps, platforms, and bridges that presaged an immense library of seemingly impossible geometry. I looked at my father, stunned. He smiled at me and winked.
“Welcome to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, Daniel.”
“This is a place of mystery, Daniel, a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens. This place was already ancient when my father brought me here for the first time, many years ago. Perhaps as old as the city itself. Nobody knows for certain how long it has existed, or who created it. I will tell you what my father told me, though. When a library disappears, or a bookshop closes down, when a book is consigned to oblivion, those of us who know this place, its guardians, make sure that it gets here. In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader’s hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been somebody’s best friend. Now they have only us, Daniel. Do you think you’ll be able to keep such a secret?”
My gaze was lost in the immensity of the place and its sorcery of light. I nodded, and my father smiled.
“And do you know the best thing about it?” he asked.
I shook my head.
“According to tradition, the first time someone visits this place, he must
choose a book, whichever he wants, and adopt it, making sure that it will never disappear, that it will always stay alive. It’s a very important promise. For life,” explained my father. “Today it’s your turn.”

This makes me want to read the Shadow of the Wind :)

I have some good library (ies) niggling at the back of my mind, but I cannot for the life of me tink of what book it's from. Very frustrating...

I've heard of The Name of The Wind, I intend to read it sometime. 

I recall reading about the library in Patrick Roffus's Name of the Wind, I'm going to have to look it up again so I'll have to come back and edit or post again.  I also liked the library in the Unseen University in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.  The librarian is a hoot too lol.

I don't know of many libraries in books or movies on top of my head (I think there's a nice one in Inkheart but it could've also been a different film..).. I'll have to think about it!

Ah, yes, I've heard good things about Inkheart, which is on my TBR pile. I think Frankie is reading this at the moment, so maybe she can enlighten us.

This makes me want to read the Shadow of the Wind :)

I have some good library (ies) niggling at the back of my mind, but I cannot for the life of me tink of what book it's from. Very frustrating...

Oh, please do read it if you get a chance! There are at least a few members here who really loved it. It's a great book! (There are also a couple of books that follow, if you enjoy The Shadow of the Wind.)

I also liked the library in the Unseen University in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.  The librarian is a hoot too lol.

'Ook!' :D I've only read a few of the Discworld books, so I've only read a little about the Unseen University's Library, but I'm sure I'll get it to know it a lot better as I continue through the series.

I know a few of the Discworld books have been made into miniseries. Does anyone know if the library has appeared in any of these? And if so, how does it compare to the books?

There is a wonderful library in Kenneth Branagh's film version of Love's Labour's Lost which is in a circular tower, with a mezzanine floor and sliding ladders.  I can't find any photos of it, but there's a clip of one of the song and dance routines set in the library here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGenbs-RTXM

It's still not the best view of it, but if you watch the film (which I can highly recommend) you'll see it all in its full glory. :smile2:

Great topic Kylie :) I love the librarian at Discworld's Unseen University too :D Also the Hogwarts library of course and Flourish & Blotts :) I think Meggie's great-aunt in Inkheart has an amazing collection of books which is as good, if not better, than any library.

Also I love The Well of Lost Plots (where all fiction is created :D) and the Great Library in the Thursday Next books.

I did try to read The Shadow of the Wind once and I couldn't get it to stick :o .. most strange as it's the sort of book I love but I will have another go one day.

It sounds silly I know :blush2: but I love it that Belle (in Disney's Beauty & the Beast) is such a bookworm .. and you constantly see her with a book or in the bookshop and then of course Beast has that beautiful library made for her :wub: 

post-5612-0-57082300-1377037749_thumb.jpg

A firm nodding head and a big yes from me for the Unseen University library and Jasper Fforde's creations in the Thursday Next series. :smile:  TV wise I immediately thought of the library at Sunnydale High School in 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' with steps leading up to the 'stacks'.

Sunnydale_library.jpg

Edited by Chrissy

I did try to read The Shadow of the Wind once and I couldn't get it to stick :o 

:o   :no:

TV wise I immediately thought of the library at Sunnydale High School in 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' with steps leading up to the 'stacks'.

Sunnydale_library.jpg

Oh yes.  That series was never as good after they left the library behind :(