Volunteer work

frankie

I've been thinking about getting into some kind of volunteer work for a while now, and I was reminded of it while reading my previous book, where people talked about volunteering to walk dogs who'd ended up in a rescue center.

I was wondering what kind of volunteer work the members of this forum have been doing, as I'm sure many of you have done something for your community or even some area further away? And if you haven't yet gotten into volunteering, is there something you've been thinking about trying out? :)

In ny first year of sixth form I volunteered at a charity shop. It was great experience ad I met loads of weird and wonderful people. I would recommend it, especially if you have loads of free time. Just make sure it is something you would be interested in doing otherwise you will be really bored. I like the sound of the dog walking one though haha.

I have done various bits of volunteer work over the years from working shifts in the church coffee shop to more recently working at a homeless hostel, making beds, food prep, washing dishes etc. It is very rewarding. I'm not doing anything at the moment, the homeless work is over winter only but I'll probably help out again next year. I think walking dogs for an animal shelter would be my perfect volunteer job! It wouldn't seem like work at all.

Do you have any ideas about what kind of thing would appeal to you Frankie?

In ny first year of sixth form I volunteered at a charity shop. It was great experience ad I met loads of weird and wonderful people. I would recommend it, especially if you have loads of free time. Just make sure it is something you would be interested in doing otherwise you will be really bored. I like the sound of the dog walking one though haha.

Volunteering at a charity shop is a good idea, I might have a think about it. Yeah, I was thinking I would go for something that I would like to do, otherwise it might feel like a chore. I mean, we all have our own specific interests and it's better we stick to them, it's more genuine that way.

I have done various bits of volunteer work over the years from working shifts in the church coffee shop to more recently working at a homeless hostel, making beds, food prep, washing dishes etc. It is very rewarding. I'm not doing anything at the moment, the homeless work is over winter only but I'll probably help out again next year. I think walking dogs for an animal shelter would be my perfect volunteer job! It wouldn't seem like work at all.

I love hearing about what other people have done, already I'm getting more ideas about what's there to do and I'm sure others will get ideas, too! Thanks :)

Do you have any ideas about what kind of thing would appeal to you Frankie?

Well, walking dogs, most definitely :wub: I already checked the rescue places in Joensuu, it turns out we only have one, and there isn't anything there on their website about them having volunteers to walk the dogs or anything else :shrug: I might send them an inquiry via e-mail, though.

I was also thinking about doing something for the elderly... I hate the idea of old people just sitting at home alone, but then again, I'm kind of shy with new people and for some reason I'm a bit hesitant about being around the elderly, as I haven't done much of that. I wouldn't know what to say! But I guess they would mostly like to have someone to listen and just to hang out... I shouldn't be so reserved. :rolleyes:

I was also thinking about visiting the hospital where I went to with a library co-worker when I was doing work practice at the library. Maybe they'd like someone to come in once in a while to read, or something. I'm really not quite sure, I'm just mulling ideas over at this point...

Also, I've always wanted to volunteer to collect money for Red Cross on those special days when they are raising money for some purpose or another. It only takes standing around at a designated spot for x hours and smile and be cheery. I've thought about doing that for years but I've always either forgotten or have been busy or lazy. I should really get my act together and check out in advance when they have their next fund raising events!

Edit: Okay, I went to see Red Cross's website and there's plenty in there. I'm determined to do the money collecting in the near future if my timetables allow it, and I'm going to look into the other stuff that's offered for volunteers on the website :)

Edited by frankie

I think it's very admirable, that you want to do volunteer work, frankie.

I've never done any volunteer work myself, unless you count helping out my family in some way or another, as volunteer work. The reason is my disability, I can't do much work. My energy levels are too low. Many volunteer work involves social situations and noises, this would be way too tiring for me. I'm having trouble keeping up with life as it is. However I do find it very admirable of people, that they do this work. If I had tons of energy, I might consider helping in the library or something with dogs (like you, frankie), maybe something administrative. I do like helping other people (if I had tons of energy, I'd probably want do research on something to help people). But I can't really imagine what such a life is like, really.

I don't think helping my family really counts, we help each other when needed. I've helped my sister many times with her school work back when she was in secondary school (I helped my brother a bit too but he needed it less and he had two big sisters to get help from, where my sister only has one). I just wanted to mention it though so I don't look too selfish :hide:.

You're not selfish, Athena! We know about your condition and no one would expect you to do something that wasn't physically possible for you. I bet you've done more housework than I ever did as a kid :blush: And helping your brother and sister with school work counts, too. :yes:

I think you've donated books you've read and didn't want around anymore to charityshops? That's doing charity, too :friends3:

Edit: Athena, this is something you could do and might be interested in! :) I'm having a blank moment now, but someone on the forum started a thread on it a few months back. You could look into if they have something similar in the Netherlands? :shrug:

Edited by frankie

I volunteered at the Humane Society for Animals for a couple years in high school, Frankie.  I loved walking the dogs and playing with the cats. 

In college I helped out at a local food shelf and here at work we rake leaves for the elderly every autumn :).

I always thought that volunteering with the elderly would be really rewarding.  There is a group here who goes out and reads to people at the assisted living homes or they even bring dogs in to interact with of the residents. 

You're not selfish, Athena! We know about your condition and no one would expect you to do something that wasn't physically possible for you. I bet you've done more housework than I ever did as a kid :blush: And helping your brother and sister with school work counts, too. :yes:

I think you've donated books you've read and didn't want around anymore to charityshops? That's doing charity, too :friends3:

x

Edit: Athena, this is something you could do and might be interested in! :) I'm having a blank moment now, but someone on the forum started a thread on it a few months back. You could look into if they have something similar in the Netherlands? :shrug:

x

Thanks, I don't have any energy leftover atm for anything like that, but perhaps in the future when I'm done studying :). It sounds like a really nice idea imo.

I have done various things over the years - handing out leaflets for various causes, working in charity shops, working for the National Trust and so on. The longest standing voluntary role that I had though was as Editor of the Village newsletter where I live in Surrey. I did this for a little over five years up until last summer. While it is not your typical voluntary job it was a very interesting one, where I met some fascinating people and made some very useful contacts as well. During the five years that I served as Editor the newsletter celebrated its 25th anniversary so I had the job of compiling that, which I think the villagers enjoyed. The Head of Surrey County Council evidently did too, as I had an email from him telling me so, which I printed in the next edition.

Perhaps the most important thing though that I had to cover was last years Olympics - both the men's and women's road cycling races came right though the heart of the village. Box Hill was probably the most important part of the men's race in particular, as they did not just one but nine laps (the women did two). This was then as you can imagine, a challenge and a half, in more ways than one.  

My partner also acts as a volunteer at the local computer club, teaching people how to use computers. She finds that equally rewarding, but in a different way.

Edited by Talisman

Check out my signature. One of the persons who I greatly admired was Roberto Clemente, a baseball player and member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, who gave his life helping earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

I really respect anyone who is capable of, and performs any type of volunteer and charitable work by giving back to the community.

My wife and I have both done considerable volunteer work in the education and healthcare fields.

Edited by muggle not

I too have done various things over the years. I was very active on the PTA at school when the boys were at Primary. When they moved to secondary I was on the tea rota for parents evenings, school shows etc. I also help organise and run Cycling Proficiency at their primary school for P6/7 pupils and prepared them to take their test (in all weathers I have to say).

I volunteer on a Monday afternoon at the local playgroup that my boys went too. Started doing this on a regular basis about 5yrs ago and it can be a lot of fun, ages ranging from 2 1/2 - nearly 5yr old.

I volunteered as a Home Library Visitor for a couple of years.   This involved going to two care homes every 4 to 6 weeks and taking around 25 large print books and collecting the ones that had been taken the previous visit.   One home was private and one council-run.  The residents of the council-run home valued the facility but eventually the council closed it so I stopped going to that one.

The folks in the private one didn't utilise this facility really (in fact, they moved the bookcase into a room that wasn't really used).  One month I put all the books in alphabetical order and when I went back the next month there were still in the same order!  It was at that point that I stopped volunteering (and I think the library stopped supplying books there - although they would start again if the home decided it was required. 

Initially when I signed up I was told I would be put with one housebound client who I would visit and get an idea of what they liked and then select books on their behalf (or pick ones they requested if they knew what they wanted) but there wasn't a 'spare' client, which is why I ended up with the homes. I'd have preferred the one-to-one contact really. 

frankie, on 23 May 2013 - 12:18, said:

I was also thinking about doing something for the elderly... I hate the idea of old people just sitting at home alone, but then again, I'm kind of shy with new people and for some reason I'm a bit hesitant about being around the elderly, as I haven't done much of that. I wouldn't know what to say! But I guess they would mostly like to have someone to listen and just to hang out... I shouldn't be so reserved. [:rolleyes:]

I know what you mean. That's why I kind of enjoy practical task based things so that the interaction with those you're helping is secondary and arises more naturally around the work you're doing. I once did some volunteer work where I went round to elderly people's houses to see how they were and check that they were getting everything they needed from the organisation I volunteered for. It was basically a chat over a cuppa but I didn't enjoy it at all, it just wasn't me. So now I stick to washing dishes in the background lol.

I was also thinking about visiting the hospital where I went to with a library co-worker when I was doing work practice at the library. Maybe they'd like someone to come in once in a while to read, or something. I'm really not quite sure, I'm just mulling ideas over at this point...

Also, I've always wanted to volunteer to collect money for Red Cross on those special days when they are raising money for some purpose or another. It only takes standing around at a designated spot for x hours and smile and be cheery. I've thought about doing that for years but I've always either forgotten or have been busy or lazy. I should really get my act together and check out in advance when they have their next fund raising events!

Edit: Okay, I went to see Red Cross's website and there's plenty in there. I'm determined to do the money collecting in the near future if my timetables allow it, and I'm going to look into the other stuff that's offered for volunteers on the website [:)]

Great!! Do let us know how you get on :)

I have never volunteered but I would like to. I just do not know for what, and what options there are in my city. It's not too easy to find information about these things. So before I can even start looking I have to decide for what cause etc I want to work for. 

If you could connect with some sort of home hospice group to visit those that are housebound I know it would be welcome. 

I cared for my Aunt for some years, she'd had strokes, and slowly over the years went down.  So I've been on that, homebound, side of the equation.  And I know how welcome it would be for someone to visit on some sort of schedule.  Not to help with the patient, but just to listen to them, talk to them.  And not only the patient, but the care giver. 

If it was acceptable to them, you could even sit with the person while the caregiver ran an errand or two, or even went to a film.  I know that would be most welcome.

Most people forget about the elderly.  Maybe it's partially fear of themselves being in the same condition, and that is understandable.  It isn't easy to see someone you knew as a vital human being, helpless.  Even if you didn't know them, imagining them as young people, perhaps with children, their hopes and dreams......come to...well, whatever.   It's bloody difficult, but also most satisfying.

Sorry, that's my soapbox, and me getting off. :lurker:

If you could connect with some sort of home hospice group to visit those that are housebound I know it would be welcome. 

I cared for my Aunt for some years, she'd had strokes, and slowly over the years went down.  So I've been on that, homebound, side of the equation.  And I know how welcome it would be for someone to visit on some sort of schedule.  Not to help with the patient, but just to listen to them, talk to them.  And not only the patient, but the care giver. 

If it was acceptable to them, you could even sit with the person while the caregiver ran an errand or two, or even went to a film.  I know that would be most welcome.

Most people forget about the elderly.  Maybe it's partially fear of themselves being in the same condition, and that is understandable.  It isn't easy to see someone you knew as a vital human being, helpless.  Even if you didn't know them, imagining them as young people, perhaps with children, their hopes and dreams......come to...well, whatever.   It's bloody difficult, but also most satisfying.

Sorry, that's my soapbox, and me getting off. :lurker:

Kudos to you. People forget that those that are elderly were once youngsters living a life that others are now living. They weren't always old.

A little story (don't I always have one :))

Yesterday at our doctor's checkup in Washington, DC there was a lady in the waiting room that was 101 years old. The doctor's assistant asked her if she could talk with her sometime as she probably had some interesting stories to tell. The 101 year old told her.......yes I do. The lady had her fingernails painted to match her clothes. She also put on a pair of nice sunglasses (light probably hurt her eyes. My doctor was proud of her. He told me that he wished others in the profession would treat patients for their health and not according to their age. I wouldn't trade my doctor for any in the world, for me, he is the best there is. He is rated as one of the best in Washington, DC. He treats his patients with respect regardless of their condition or age.

hehe, I have had several glasses of wine and am rambling. :)

Edited by muggle not

Maybe so muggle, but they're always good.  :D

Something else that used to truly irritate me was when I'd be out with my Aunt, before she had strokes, store clerks in general would direct their questions to me.  When it was her business being discussed.  It was as though since she was old, she couldn't understand/hear/know what they were saying.  Man!  I'd finally say, if they annoyed me enough, it's her business and her money we're talking about, you better ask her!  She was ten times as savvy as they ever thought about being.  Ran her own business and life in general.  Pah. 

I was annoyed enough most of the time, menopause and all that.....so the idiots got the sharp side of my tongue frequently.  :crazy:

So, my point is, and I do have one.....talk directly to the person, not to the one with them, or over their head.  Unless of course you are directed to do so.

Until very recently, I volunteered a couple of morning a week as an assistant in a primary 1 class at our local school (my son is in the nursery there at the moment and will be going up to P1 after the summer hols). I loved it - it was great working with the kids and seeing first hand what Xander will be learning next year along with how it's taught. It's given me a lot of insight into the subjects and how they're approached, which I think will be very helpful when Xan goes up to P1. The kids weer all fantastic and I really miss working with them. I only stopped because of excessive morning sickness and associated exhaustion, or I'd still be there twice a week helping out! The kids all still say hello to me and stop to speak whenever they see me, whether it's in the school playground or out and about, which is lovely.

I know what you mean Emelee - it's the same for me. The oldest where I work is 105 years old. I can't begin to imagine half the things she must have seen and done.

Edited by Talisman

Thanks everyone for your posts, ideas and stories, they've given me some new ideas, and it's been really nice to see how many of you have been doing things for others :)

After I posted in this thread the last time and checked out the Red Cross website, I decided there was no use in postponing my plans and then I signed up to be a possible voluntary money collector for the next event, and I already got an e-mail with information about the next fund raising event, which is the Hunger Day. I just googled and coincidentally the World Hunger Day is TODAY!

Anyhow, the Hunger Day arranged by the Finnish Red Cross isn't until September, and there were no other events before that, so I'm just waiting :shrug: The person who sent the e-mail said they would send me some other information, too, just in case I would become interested in doing something else, too, so I'm looking forward to that one.

I volunteered as a Home Library Visitor for a couple of years. 

This would be my ideal thing, I think! And now that I think about it, I think they did this sort of thing at the library... I mean my 'library guru' took care of the hospital library services but I do remember there were possibly a few other things going on, too. But if they were taken care of by the library staff, I would think I couldn't sign up for that because I wasn't a staff member?

I wonder if I could just go in to an old people's home and ask to talk to the manager and ask if they had any people who would like me to go to the library for them.

Initially when I signed up I was told I would be put with one housebound client who I would visit and get an idea of what they liked and then select books on their behalf (or pick ones they requested if they knew what they wanted) but there wasn't a 'spare' client, which is why I ended up with the homes. I'd have preferred the one-to-one contact really. 

Such a shame it wasn't at all what you were told it would be like, and that the place where you worked wasn't bothered about the great services you provided! :empathy:

I know what you mean. That's why I kind of enjoy practical task based things so that the interaction with those you're helping is secondary and arises more naturally around the work you're doing. I once did some volunteer work where I went round to elderly people's houses to see how they were and check that they were getting everything they needed from the organisation I volunteered for. It was basically a chat over a cuppa but I didn't enjoy it at all, it just wasn't me. So now I stick to washing dishes in the background lol.

I agree with you, and you got the gist of what I was trying to say: I'd like it that there was something to do, and the talking would be a secondary thing, but which could easily come about naturally when doing something concrete. I would feel very awkward just going in to talk to someone. It's just not in my nature.

If I'm being completely honest with you guys... I do feel like I'm the biggest hypocrite and phoney. My Mum's Dad is still alive, but I've never been close with him, I was closer with my Mum's Mum but she passed away in 2006. I think after that my Grandpa's been lonely, living all by himself in the big house. One of the reasons why I've hated visiting is that he used to keep my cousin's dog, there was this small doggy house outside for the dog and a bit of space for him, and all he was to do was to sit there, get fed, and be by himself. They wouldn't walk him, he was only for hunting, but you can imagine how 'many' weekends that takes in the autumn. The dog must've been bored out of its mind, crying for company, and it would just break my heart and I would refuse to visit Grandpa because I couldn't deal with the whole thing. I tried telling my Mum that my cousins need to take that dog out of there and take care of it themselves, but that never happened....

I haver virtually no contact with my Grandpa because of that and some other things... Like my Mum going to visit him only to change his sheets and to do his washing and cleaning for him... But Mum never ever talks to him and I have absolutely no idea why. I'm very much a Daddy's girl myself and it's just such an unnatural thing... But I guess I've learnt from her not to get involved with Grandpa, and that's such a shame...

So yes, I feel like the biggest hypocrite for wanting to do something for the elderly when I have virtually no contact with my own Grandpa.

Thanks everyone for your posts, ideas and stories, they've given me some new ideas, and it's been really nice to see how many of you have been doing things for others :)

If I'm being completely honest with you guys... I do feel like I'm the biggest hypocrite and phoney. My Mum's Dad is still alive, but I've never been close with him, I was closer with my Mum's Mum but she passed away in 2006. I think after that my Grandpa's been lonely, living all by himself in the big house. One of the reasons why I've hated visiting is that he used to keep my cousin's dog, there was this small doggy house outside for the dog and a bit of space for him, and all he was to do was to sit there, get fed, and be by himself. They wouldn't walk him, he was only for hunting, but you can imagine how 'many' weekends that takes in the autumn. The dog must've been bored out of its mind, crying for company, and it would just break my heart and I would refuse to visit Grandpa because I couldn't deal with the whole thing. I tried telling my Mum that my cousins need to take that dog out of there and take care of it themselves, but that never happened....

I haver virtually no contact with my Grandpa because of that and some other things... Like my Mum going to visit him only to change his sheets and to do his washing and cleaning for him... But Mum never ever talks to him and I have absolutely no idea why. I'm very much a Daddy's girl myself and it's just such an unnatural thing... But I guess I've learnt from her not to get involved with Grandpa, and that's such a shame...

So yes, I feel like the biggest hypocrite for wanting to do something for the elderly when I have virtually no contact with my own Grandpa.

No.  Not a hypocrite.  You were born into a situation that you don't understand, and are following your parent's lead as far as relations go with her father. On top of that your GF has a situation that makes you feel uncomfortable, with the treatment of the dog.  I cannot and will not fault you in that Frankie.  Can you sit with your mother and have a heart to heart about the situation, first telling her how you feel about the situation, and then asking her if she could please, please explain her antipathy to her father.  If you could both get to the root of that, much would be cleared up and both of you would feel better, I think.  Even if she won't or can't go into any detail, at least get the outlines or gist of her feelings. 

Is the dog still there?  If so, maybe a new home could be found for him/her. 

Listen, I certainly had issues with my paternal grandparents, and it took a crisis to engender any discussion.  Don't let a bad situation, or crisis do that for you Frankie, I was fortunate in that my crisis resolved successfully.  That is not always the case in life. 

Relatives are always the most difficult to deal with because feelings and the past run so deep with emotional triggers. 

So.  I'll say it again.  You are not a hypocrite.

:friends0: