Peahen's 2013 shelf

Peahen

Each year, I try and put a ridiculous goal on how many books I should read in a 365 day period. 

This year, so far I have read:

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith

Gillespie and I by Joanne Harris

Kafka on The Shore by Haruki Murakami

Out of the above, I have been enjoying Murakami the most. 

I had been meaning to read Gorky Park for a long time and was a little let down by it.  I have a huge interest in Russian history but after reading Child 44, The Secret Speech and Agent 6 last year, by Tim Rob Smith, I found it a bit lacking.

Gillespie and I on the other hand, it was very well written, the narrator quite a sinister character,  but the 'shocking event', I found that there was some discrepencies then in the narrative and a bit of an anti climax.

Kafka on the Shore, I have just finished this one Athena and did enjoy it, though perhaps not as much as Wind Up Bird Chronicle or 1Q84.  Frankie, I came across Marukami last year for first time with 1Q84 and since then have read the three books in that trilogy, Kafka on the Shore, The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and am currently at the start of Norweigian Wood by him.  Sputnik Sweetheart is one that I have heard a great deal about and want to read this year. 

Thank you for that recommendation Pontabla, I have that now added to the Amazon Basket along with Mother Russia by Littlell  (thankfully payday at the end of the week, so that I can then process order).  I am looking forward to reading this and checking out others

Hi Peahen, Welcome to the forum i look forward to reading your reviews :smile:

Not sure if it's your sort of thing but if your interested in Russian history i just finished a book called The Siege by Helen Dunmore , it's a fictional story set in Leningrad during the second world war when the city was under siege. It's one family's story of survival rather than a history of the event but i really enjoyed it.

Another novel I've just come across is Asset by Jonathan Orvin.  Set in Russia, I've only read the prologue so far, but man, this author can make the reader sweat!  Very suspenseful so far.

Thank you Pontalba - I like the sound of that, I like suspense and turns in a novel.  Hi Devi, nice to meet you and looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Have almost completed Norweigian Wood and hoping to start In Cold Blood by Truman Capote tomorrow.  Hubby noticed this one coming in, so rather than getting put in TBR list, if I want to buy any more books in coming weeks, have to be seen to be reading book have just bought. 

Dear Pontalba,

I've just posted a note on Introductions, it refers to your post about Asset by Jonathan Orvin. I'm so sorry, I quoted you as 'Nobkovian.' A bit dim of me, 'Sorry.'

Dear Pontalba,

I've just posted a note on Introductions, it refers to your post about Asset by Jonathan Orvin. I'm so sorry, I quoted you as 'Nobkovian.' A bit dim of me, 'Sorry.'

:giggle2:  S'ok, fine by me. 

Yes, I'm enjoying Asset.  More later on that.