Paperplane's 2013 Reading List

paperplane

Paperplane

I will be interested in hearing how you like the book when you complete it . A very interesting story .The atmosphere of the place where the crime happens is so eerie ..

Anyhow, once you finish it, I have a big question for you, but will save it until you complete the book . Don't want to give anything away at this point.

I'll let you know when I start it Julie as I have a few others I want to read first..

Finished Worth More Dead yesterday and was another good read, have decided to give Ann's books a rest for the moment.

I started Child of God by Cormac McCarthy very late last night so only managed to get through a few pages before I fell asleep, will hopefully get more done later today.

I second the recommendation for watching Picnic at Hanging Rock (the theme song is probably my Dad's favourite theme song. He often whistles it.) I haven't read the book yet, but I have it on my TBR pile. Joan Lindsay did actually write an ending to the book (another chapter), which explains the mystery. If you really want to know it, it can be found online. It might disappoint you though (actually, I can't quite remember it properly myself - I'll have to go and look it up again).

I've also been rather fascinated by Caroline Byrne's story. Where is that up to now? It was in the news recently but I can't for the life of me remember if her boyfriend was finally convicted.

He was jailed for 3 years and acquitted early last year...I remember around the time of his release he was interviewed on 60 minutes.

After watching the interview its all a bit 'up in the air' for me now as he was very convincing.. I guess we'll never really know what happened to her sadly :(

Finished 'Child of God' by Cormac McCarthy last night, I put a review on my Goodreads so I will post the same here....

I was originally going to give this book one star but since completing it, it gradually crept up to 3 stars.

The story line began to grow on me but I have major issues with the writing style.

I mean, I get it. I get why he writes his novels they way he does but I find it really off putting and I imagine a lot of other people would struggle with it too.

Example A.

He sits and dries the rifle and ejects the shells into his lap and dries them and wipes the action and oils it and oils the receiver and the barrel and the magazine and the lever and reloads the rifle and levers a shell into the chamber and lets the hammer down and lays the rifle on the floor beside him.

Was 13 'ands' really that necessary?

It's probably the most painful sentence I've ever come across, if fact it would be easy to mistake it for a sentence written by a child.

Would it kill him to put a comma in there somewhere?

Other that the writing issue, the story line is dark, squeamish at times and will probably stick with me over the next few days.

Have now started on 'The Man in the Rockefeller Suit' by Mark Seal, so far so good!

Finished 'The Man in the Rockefeller Suit' yesterday afternoon.

Was a good read however I felt it got a little long so I skimmed over the last few chapters.

Whilst it's still a true account, it didn't really focus on 'crime/murder', it's about a 17 German boy who hated his small German town and wanted to live the American Dream.

He managed to fool and trick his way into a high flying life in New York city, kind of reminiscent of 'Catch Me if You Can'.

He continuously lied, lost his accent, went by different names, claimed he was descended from royalty and managed to get high ranking positions at global financial companies simply by schmoozing up to and manipulating the right people.

Even though he eventually got convicted of murder and fraud in 2008(?), I have never even come across this story before!

I've always wondered what it would be like to drop everything, run and change your identity completely!

I gave it a 4/5.

^^ Yup, it's always been paperplane  :smile:

I finished Perfect Chemistry last night, it's the first young adult book I've read in quite a while and I really liked it!

For those that enjoyed Twilight (shhush! :giggle2: ) you would probably like this as it takes you back to that same 'oh my godddd he likes meeee!' butterflies-in-tummy-teen-girl-crushing feeling, without all the unbelievable vampire mumbo-jumbo of course.

Its about a typical blonde blue eyed girl, Brittany who falls in love with the cute but oh so dangerous gang member, Alex Fuentes who is from the 'other' side of town.

They pretty much hate each other from the moment they are assigned to be lab partners with each other, from there the story develops into something quite interesting that makes you want to keep reading on.

I love that about books.

Word of caution, there are a few cheesy lines and steamy scenes thrown in there but that is to be expected from a romance novel!

I gave it a 4/5.

I also finished Epilogue by C.J Roberts last night as well, the final installment of the Dark Duet series.

I skim read it really..

Whilst I really liked the first two books, I really really wish the author left it at number two. It kind of ruins it really. I think she was pestered into writing the Epilogue by her fans though.

I gave that a 3/5.

Finished 'Child of God' by Cormac McCarthy last night, I put a review on my Goodreads so I will post the same here....

I was originally going to give this book one star but since completing it, it gradually crept up to 3 stars.

The story line began to grow on me but I have major issues with the writing style.

I mean, I get it. I get why he writes his novels they way he does but I find it really off putting and I imagine a lot of other people would struggle with it too.

Example A.

He sits and dries the rifle and ejects the shells into his lap and dries them and wipes the action and oils it and oils the receiver and the barrel and the magazine and the lever and reloads the rifle and levers a shell into the chamber and lets the hammer down and lays the rifle on the floor beside him.

Was 13 'ands' really that necessary?

It's probably the most painful sentence I've ever come across, if fact it would be easy to mistake it for a sentence written by a child.

Would it kill him to put a comma in there somewhere?

Other that the writing issue, the story line is dark, squeamish at times and will probably stick with me over the next few days.

Have now started on 'The Man in the Rockefeller Suit' by Mark Seal, so far so good!

That style of writing would really annoy me.  I'd give up on it.  Good on you for persevering.