Do you read faster on a kindle and other such devices?

Star

Wow you can tell I've just joined the kindle crew can't you. I'm taking over this part of the forum haha :giggle2:;)

I've heard people say they read faster on a kindle before (probs on other devices too I would imagine).

I just wondered if any of you find that to be true?

I don't own a Kindle or anything, but I'm curious: why do you think one would read faster on a Kindle? Is it because you can turn the pages quicker and do not have those 'breathers' where you might think of something else to do? Or do you read the lines faster as well?

I don't own a Kindle or anything, but I'm curious: why do you think one would read faster on a Kindle? Is it because you can turn the pages quicker and do not have those 'breathers' where you might think of something else to do? Or do you read the lines faster as well?

I think it's a bit of both of those. You don't have to worry about text size, either, so you can adjust it and the font any time you want. You can put the device down and keep reading without having to hold the book open. Plus there's that percentage bar at the bottom of the screen taunting you, and I always think "I'll read until I hit the next % and then go to bed" :lol:

Yep, the per cent bar makes me keep reading. Some books show you how much is left in the chapter, so I'll end up thinking 'I might as well just finish this chapter' or 'The next chapter is only a short one, so I might as well read that one too.'

Also my kindle is more convenient to carry, so I'm mre likely to read books when I go out :P

I think it's a bit of both of those. You don't have to worry about text size, either, so you can adjust it and the font any time you want. You can put the device down and keep reading without having to hold the book open. Plus there's that percentage bar at the bottom of the screen taunting you, and I always think "I'll read until I hit the next % and then go to bed" :lol:

I might be stupid but I'd never thought about having the option of adjusting the font size :o That is a serious plus. I hate small font in books. And having one's hands free... I didn't think of that either. I guess there are all these extra advantages to the thingy that one only notices when one has the opportunity to actually hold one and try it out. I've never had that opportunity. Bloody hell. Stop tempting me to get one!!

Yep, the per cent bar makes me keep reading. Some books show you how much is left in the chapter, so I'll end up thinking 'I might as well just finish this chapter' or 'The next chapter is only a short one, so I might as well read that one too.'

Also my kindle is more convenient to carry, so I'm mre likely to read books when I go out :P

The percentage bar :D It's like when some people want to finish reading with round numbers. I guess if you want to finish reading with round percentages, one needs to read further :D

I've only read one book so far on my Kobo but it did seem to read faster but that could've been because it was a particularly good read.. I would agree though with the percentage bar challenge and the fact that it is easier to hold or just prop up while eating and drying my hair! :D

I've read one book on my mother's Kindle, and I found I read it faster than I read the book in paperback format. However, I read even faster on my DS than on the Kindle, getting through multiple books a day. I've found this is because you can see the total number of pages at the bottom of each page, which always makes me think 'Oh, hey, I've only got 600 pages left, that shouldn't take me too long'.

I certainly read faster, especially when reading in bed. I find that my thumbs don’t hurt anymore trying to keep a book open when reading from the side where many pages have been turned. Does that make sense??

It makes total sense, and I agree. It's nice to just be able to hold a 'book' in one hand without any discomfort. I actually find the kindle more comfortable to hold than my previous ereader (iriver cover story).

I read faster on my Kindle, as in I get through a book quicker probably because I spend more time with it than I did with a paperbook. It must be the convenience of it and the ease at which to hold it. I've started using the Notes and Highlighting feature as well, to remember key points for when I write my blurbs.

I certainly read faster, especially when reading in bed. I find that my thumbs don’t hurt anymore trying to keep a book open when reading from the side where many pages have been turned. Does that make sense??

... and the fact that it is easier to hold or just prop up while eating and drying my hair! :D

To combine both of your stories, last night I decided to properly lie down to sleep, but read until I fell asleep. It was wonderfully comfortable, because I could comfortably hold my Kobo in one hand and touch the screen with my thumb to turn the page. It was so comfortable in fact, that I fell asleep and dropped my Kobo on my face.

I'm happy to report more damage was done to my face than the Kobo, as bruises fade by themselves but I really couldn't afford to replace my Kobo. :P

It's also good when you fall asleep reading in bed, as you don't lose your place, and spend the next half hour trying to find it again! Serious plus for me, that is!

To combine both of your stories, last night I decided to properly lie down to sleep, but read until I fell asleep. It was wonderfully comfortable, because I could comfortably hold my Kobo in one hand and touch the screen with my thumb to turn the page. It was so comfortable in fact, that I fell asleep and dropped my Kobo on my face.

I'm happy to report more damage was done to my face than the Kobo, as bruises fade by themselves but I really couldn't afford to replace my Kobo. tongue.png

That was so funny Noll. Glad you are OK.

I've nearly done that before, but luckily manged to stop it in time. :giggle2: Hope it wasn't too painful!

Because I lay on my side when reading, and because Obi sleeps beside my bed he has been known to have a book dropped on him when I fall asleep reading, I'm sure he'll prefer the Kobo, it's much lighter!! :D

Like others have said, I read more rather than faster. I agree about the changeable font size helping, and the fact you only need one hand to hold it and turn the page, so I don't have to stop reading when eating/drinking and in fact I can read without holding it at all, so if I'm eating on my own, it's perfect to just put on the table and read, only touching the button to turn the page! I also find with paperbacks, if the book is thick, I have to keep adjusting to be able to read the right hand side of the left page (and vice versa) because the text is too close to the spine.

I don't tend to notice the % so much as the chapter marks (if they've been included). When a kindle book has chapter marking, it's an at a glance indication of how much more of the chapter is left, and I always think, "I can just fit in this next chapter too!"