Your Book Activity ~ October 2012

Kylie

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Tatiana and Alexander, by Paullina Simons, and loved it :)

Dipping into Flappers and Philosophers, by F. Scott Fitzgerald (have read about half of it - it's a book of short stories, and I tend to read one short story between full length novels), but tonight I will be starting Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes. One of my friends finished it this weekend, and she thought it was truly fantastic. It's on my tbr, so now seems as good a time as any to start it.

Oh dear! :D I did know which book you were talking about and I did love it, but for some reason when I started talking about the movie, I was thinking Matilda by Dahl :D I've never seen CatCF as a movie, although I would like to watch the Gene Wilder one. The Johnny Depp one I tried to watch some time ago but I didn't like it at all.

Oh I saw the film version of 'Matilda' years ago too and seem to remember that it was a good film. Unfortunately I am a bit of a purist where the 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' film is concerned. I love Johnny Depp as an actor (I'll be honest, I love him generally :P ), but I hate the latest version!

Reading has been taking a low priority this weekend, but managed to finish Hollow Pike during my lunch break today, and thought it was a very good YA book. Had a few minor niggles with it, but will detail more when I finally get round to catching up with my reviews!

Also borrowed Henry Tilney's Diary by Amanda Grange from the library, as I'm currently reading Northanger Abbey for my Jane Austen reading, and this one isn't available in a Kindle version, and didn't want to buy a paperback version.

Having said that, will be starting on Paranormalcy next for the reading circle discussion, so the Jane Austen will just have to wait!

Just finished Kensuke's Kingdom. Really nice book, obviously aimed at young people but I read it for nostalgic reasons and it was lovely. The chapters always end in a fashion which makes you want to keep reading. I really enjoyed it now onto some horror/thriller books, what a contrast.

I've never seen CatCF as a movie, although I would like to watch the Gene Wilder one. The Johnny Depp one I tried to watch some time ago but I didn't like it at all.

I hated the newer version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. They made Willy Wonka creepy, rather than eccentric and quirky, yet still appealing.

It was pretty damn unexpected, wasn't it?! :(

Yeah, I couldn't quite believe it - still can't!! It has however put me in the mood for reading the last book of the series. Well, I'm taking a tiny break and reading The BFG by Roald Dahl (that brings back sooooo many memories. I just loved that book as a child and read it over and over), and then it's on to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm dying to find out how it all ends, but at the same time I don't want to read it because then it won't end for me. :blush2:

Just finished The Crimson Petal and the White and I loved it so much I don't know what I can read after a book like that!! I'll wander through my library's bookshelves to find something good.

That is a very difficult book to top. Glad you enjoyed it. :smile:

I'm getting T-A-A from Kell this week, as a review book, I'm so looking forward to it! I think it was willoyd's review some time ago that made me add it to my wishlist, and I think he suggested one should read Bleak House first. Would you second that opinion? Because I haven't read BH yet, and I'm wondering if I should get a copy of it asap!

It's brilliant frankie but the most bizarre re-telling I've ever come across .. in that some of the character names she uses are the same .. some are slightly changed .. some are from other novels entirely and I'm not sure the plot is going to be the same either .. so far it only has similarities and the main character and the main plot are different. Also the author talks to you directly .. mentions contemporary novels and Charles Dickens. I love it actually .. I can't work out where it's going but the writing is excellent. I don't think you need to read Bleak House first .. it might even fuddle you a bit as it has me (though having the prior knowledge does make it more enjoyable when you recognise a bit of plot or a character etc). It will be funny though when you come to read Bleak House and think that Charles Dickens has named his characters wrongly :D I loved Bleak House but it was slightly like hard work at times .. Dickens can get a bit wordy :giggle: this is a much easier read. I hope I continue to like it as much as I do .. at the moment it's heading for a 10 :)

You could always watch Bleak House (the Gillian Anderson/Anna Maxwell Martin/Carey Mulligan version) if you can get hold of a copy .. it really was brilliantly adapted.

Just finished Kensuke's Kingdom. Really nice book, obviously aimed at young people but I read it for nostalgic reasons and it was lovely. The chapters always end in a fashion which makes you want to keep reading. I really enjoyed it now onto some horror/thriller books, what a contrast.

I read this a few years ago and thought it was great. I've read a few of Michael Morpurgo's books and they've all been enjoyable. I seem to remember that Kensuke's Kingdom had a sad ending.

I hated the newer version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. They made Willy Wonka creepy, rather than eccentric and quirky, yet still appealing.

I thought the original one was creepy! I won't be watching the newer one then!

I read "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman over the weekend. I thought it was a good light-hearted story, with some interesting characters and it was very imaginative.

I'm just about to start "Hunter's Run" by George R R Martin, Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham. I don't read much Sci-fi so I'll see how I get on with it.

I read this a few years ago and thought it was great. I've read a few of Michael Morpurgo's books and they've all been enjoyable. I seem to remember that Kensuke's Kingdom had a sad ending.

It's a bit of a mixed ending I would include those spoiler tags I've seen people do but I don't know how. Good book though I really enjoyed it. I've read War Horse and this recently both by Morpurgo and really enjoyed them.

I've figured out how now, here is the ending if you did want reminding...

Michael ( the child, main character) sends a bottle with a message that he is still alive out to sea. Kensuke finds out he did this and is sad for a period of time. He then agrees to let Michael go if a boat comes. Michael's parents come and Kensuke makes Michael promise not to tell anyone about him for 10 years so noone comes to kill the wildlife on the island. Michael was split about whether to leave throughout as he had became like a son to Kensuke and vice versa.

I made a quick run to Half Price Books the other day and picked up Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella and yesterday I was surprised with a gift of Land of the Burnt Thigh by Edith Eudora Kohl. I read the latter earlier this year and absolutely loved it so my friend's mom gave me my own copy :D.

I finished Lolita yesterday evening, a book a enjoyed very much. Not sure what to read next, I took Pompeii by Robert Harris to work but I haven't started it yet so I may swap it for another book.

I finially finished "The Return of Capt John Emmet" by Elizabeth Speller. It took me two weeks because the writing was a bit clunky but I'm glad I stayed with it because it was a good story with some extremely vivid and emotional scenes of WW1.

Now I can make a start on "The House of Silk" by Anthony Horowitz.

Finished A Dog's Purpose, very very good, very emotional at times though! :(:)

Ooh, I bought this the other week. I wondered whether to get it because I suspected it might be one to make me sob, but it looked so good I couldn't resist.

I'm getting through Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes pretty quickly. It's very difficult to put down!

Ooh, I bought this the other week. I wondered whether to get it because I suspected it might be one to make me sob, but it looked so good I couldn't resist.

I'm getting through Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes pretty quickly. It's very difficult to put down!

It's a good emotional book Ruth, took a while for me to warm to it as there were a couple of moments where things didn't ring true for me as a doggy person but it won me over quite quickly. :)

Me Before You was like that for me too, one of my best reads this year by far! :)

Edited by chaliepud

Finally finished The Slap, and well....I didn't like it as much as I thought I would...or was hoping to even. I think it's the kind of book that does better as a series...(in fact, I believe it was turned into one) The story is told from the point of view of eight different people.....and their opinions on what happened at a family event. I found myself liking the characters (especially the male ones) less and less, though I will admit I also wouldn't of minded reading a bit more of their past, and what made them act/think the way they did (maybe that's where the series comes in) not the best read, but not the worst.

Have started Bleed for Me by Michael Robotham last night as well

Oh I saw the film version of 'Matilda' years ago too and seem to remember that it was a good film. Unfortunately I am a bit of a purist where the 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' film is concerned. I love Johnny Depp as an actor (I'll be honest, I love him generally :P ), but I hate the latest version!

I've grown rather tired of Johnny Depp, he's everywhere and I don't really think he's that talented (I know, a very unpopular opinion, but it's only mine, I don't mind other people liking him!), but he wasn't even the problem for me with the latest CatCF version. It was just a creepy movie! It wasn't warm hearted. It was nothing what I'd expected :(

I agree. Eventhough I've not seen the older version, I've heard about it and I trust other people's opinion in that it's good. The new one is creepy!

Yeah, I couldn't quite believe it - still can't!! It has however put me in the mood for reading the last book of the series. Well, I'm taking a tiny break and reading The BFG by Roald Dahl (that brings back sooooo many memories. I just loved that book as a child and read it over and over), and then it's on to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm dying to find out how it all ends, but at the same time I don't want to read it because then it won't end for me.

I know what you mean, and can relate! It was just horrible reading the last novel, dying to find out the outcome of all the things that were bothering one's mind, but not wanting the whole saga to end! :(:empathy: Fortunately these books can be re-read time and a time again!

It's brilliant frankie but the most bizarre re-telling I've ever come across .. in that some of the character names she uses are the same .. some are slightly changed .. some are from other novels entirely and I'm not sure the plot is going to be the same either .. so far it only has similarities and the main character and the main plot are different. Also the author talks to you directly .. mentions contemporary novels and Charles Dickens.

Sounds bizarre indeed :D Actually, sounds difficult, too :o Oh boy, I wonder if I can make it.

I love it actually .. I can't work out where it's going but the writing is excellent. I don't think you need to read Bleak House first .. it might even fuddle you a bit as it has me

I've come to the conclusion that it's better I not read BH first. It's one hefty novel and I want to get to T-A-A as soon as possible, and BH would set me back by a week at least. Also, I don't want to read 'the same story' twice over in succession, if you know what I mean.

It will be funny though when you come to read Bleak House and think that Charles Dickens has named his characters wrongly

Haha, I shall be looking forward to it! :D

You could always watch Bleak House (the Gillian Anderson/Anna Maxwell Martin/Carey Mulligan version) if you can get hold of a copy .. it really was brilliantly adapted.

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't watch a lot of movies in the first place, and I'm one of those people who wants to read the book first :rolleyes: Makes for a lot of reading!

Finished A Dog's Purpose, very very good, very emotional at times though!

Can I take this as a recommendation? :)

I made a quick run to Half Price Books the other day and picked up Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella and yesterday I was surprised with a gift of Land of the Burnt Thigh by Edith Eudora Kohl. I read the latter earlier this year and absolutely loved it so my friend's mom gave me my own copy.

Twenties Girl is great, I hope you enjoy the novel! :)

Finally finished The Slap, and well....I didn't like it as much as I thought I would...or was hoping to even. I think it's the kind of book that does better as a series...(in fact, I believe it was turned into one) The story is told from the point of view of eight different people.....and their opinions on what happened at a family event. I found myself liking the characters (especially the male ones) less and less, though I will admit I also wouldn't of minded reading a bit more of their past, and what made them act/think the way they did (maybe that's where the series comes in) not the best read, but not the worst.

He's written a sequel?

I finished reading Mrs Fry's Diary yesterday and am currently reading Naapurit by Inna Patrakova. A pretty funny novel about the cultural differences between two summer cottage neighbor families, one Finnish and the other Russian.

I haven't read this, but I couldn't resist watching the series when it was shown here. I thought the show was really well done, but I hated all of the characters! Nothing likeable about them at all. Except maybe the vet woman - I can't remember her doing anything to make me hate her. :)

I finished reading Mrs Fry's Diary yesterday and am currently reading Naapurit by Inna Patrakova. A pretty funny novel about the cultural differences between two summer cottage neighbor families, one Finnish and the other Russian.

Ooh, I didn't know you had Mrs Fry's Diary! Is that a library book? What did you think? I was really wanting to read it but have read some negative reviews that put me off somewhat.

I haven't read this, but I couldn't resist watching the series when it was shown here. I thought the show was really well done, but I hated all of the characters! Nothing likeable about them at all. Except maybe the vet woman - I can't remember her doing anything to make me hate her.

Ah, so it was a TV series, not a book series :doh:

Ooh, I didn't know you had Mrs Fry's Diary! Is that a library book? What did you think? I was really wanting to read it but have read some negative reviews that put me off somewhat.

I borrowed it from the library. I liked it just fine, I only gave it three starts but that's because I feel like I've been too generous with my ratings this year :D It almost deserved four. I mean it was nothing extraordinary, but Fry knows his way around words. It was a jolly good read, I'm happy to have read it, but I wouldn't go and buy the book for myself :) If that's any help!

Not that I'm aware of...I meant the TV series :)

Yeah I just realised that after Kylie's post :D Silly me!

I haven't read this, but I couldn't resist watching the series when it was shown here. I thought the show was really well done, but I hated all of the characters! Nothing likeable about them at all. Except maybe the vet woman - I can't remember her doing anything to make me hate her. :)

You know, I thought she was ok through most of the book....but about 3/4 of the way through, she really started to irritate me

I don't know, maybe it was her seemingly holier-than-thou-attitude

Edited by Sofia