Your Book Activity ~ October 2012

Kylie

Finished Northanger Abbey today, and started How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran, but need to make a start on Mr Tilney's Diary as it needs to go back to the library soon and I didn't have it with me at the time, so I'll have to put Caitlin aside for now.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been ploughing through 'Game of Thrones' by George R.R Martin, determined to finish it, but to be honest, I'm so bored with it. That doesn't mean I've completely given up. I'm merely putting this on hold whilst I read 'The Stand' by Stephen King. This book has to be more interesting....I hope.

I'm battling through By Night In Chile by Roberto Bolano - this counts for Chile in my world challenge and is only 130 pages and I'm still considering giving up!! Battling on, but reading something alongside - The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton and Daniel Coyle. Tells the story of doping in cycling, and so far loving it. Even if my love of Lance Armstrong has been well and truly killed!

Reading David Mitchell's Back Story .. very funny so far and Monica Dickens' (old Charles' great-grandaughter) One Pair of Feet which recounts her time as a nurse in 1942 .. very easy to read and funny too.

I'm battling through By Night In Chile by Roberto Bolano - this counts for Chile in my world challenge and is only 130 pages and I'm still considering giving up!!

I struggled through that last year, Alex! I shall be interested to read your thoughts when you do get to the end. :)

I finally read Tales of Beedle the Bard yesterday. I bought it when it first came out - I had no idea it was so long ago! I'd been putting it off because I didn't really fancy it, but I actually really enjoyed the five tales!

Well I've been ploughing through 'Game of Thrones' by George R.R Martin, determined to finish it, but to be honest, I'm so bored with it. That doesn't mean I've completely given up.

I had enough problems keeping up with all the characters on the TV series, no way would I attempt the reads, but hubby on the other hand devoured them.

Finished The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble last night. I really enjoyed it.

This one sounds familiar, sure I read it many moons ago when needed a simple straightforward easy read.

I'm really enjoying 'Afterwards' ~Rosamumd Lupton.

Edited by Inver

I had enough problems keeping up with all the characters on the TV series, no way would I attempt the reads, but hubby on the other hand devoured them.

This book started off so well, but by about a quarter of the way through it was starting to get quite tedious. Oh to rectify what I said about reading 'The Stand' by Stephen King, I decided to read 'Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer. I friend has lent me all of the 'Twilight' books (have already read the first two) and thought that I should read these, so I can return them quickly. So far, it's ok, just an escapist read really.

After finishing (and loving) Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes, I have now started Dead Man Walking, by Sister Helen Prejean. I remember reading this about 15 or so years ago, and being shocked by so much of what I read. It has lost none of its impact - such an incredible book.

And in other news, today I popped into the charity shop and got a hardback (in perfect condition!) edition of Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World, by Simon Callow. Also Pies and Prejudice, by Stuart Maconie :)

I finished Bleed for Me...which wasn't too bad...started Nanny Returns (sequel to The Nanny Diaries) and chucked it after the first couple chapters....it's awful. Tonight I will start When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

Today I popped into the charity shop and got copies of The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and a hardback of Marley & Me by John Grogan, for €2 and €1.50 respectively. There were a few other titles I spotted too, so I'll have to go back with more money!

I only have about 50 pages left of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. Talk about twists and turns. I'm gutted that it's ending - I really wish it could go on forever. I'm just running a bath at the moment, and then I'm going to pop in with my book and finish it.

Loved the twist about Snape (killing Dumbledore) and his backstory. I think it's just a brilliant bit of story-telling.

Edited by bobblybear

Finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, What a brilliant read. I don't think I've appreciated the detail in the stories and the talent of JK Rowling until reading the last one and seeing how it all fits together. I will re-read the books for sure to see if there are any bits that could be missed until you know the full story.

I'm now reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I'm really enjoying it. It's very full of uncomfortable honesty and I like the main character, Lou.

Edited by bobblybear