Capturing select text with a computer?

jonas

when I read and come across a paragraph that strikes me, I want to write it down to look at later, but there must be a better way.

does anyone know of a good way of capturing text from a book, just maybe a paragraph, without copying it down by hand?

using a hand-held scanner or taking a close-up picture with a digital camera is all I can think of. or do they make some technology for this purpose?

I want to catalog, by book, parts that I like. any ideas?

Unless it's old enough to be out of copyright and you can find the passage online to paste into a word document or something, I also think taking a picture of it is the quickest way.

But at least having to copy it out by hand will make you remember your favourite parts better :smile:

You could always get a Kindle and use the notes and highlights feature (or whatever it's called) to copy the bits you like, purely for your own use of course (one has to be careful not to copy and paste too much of a book's content online to avoid infringing copyright, alhtough you are allowed a certain amount - about 350 words I believe "for the purposes of criticism and review"). :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know how to to this myself, but I have heard that if you have a document scanner, or a home printer that has one built into it, you can scan the pages, upload them to your pc and then somehow convert the image to text.

Okay, this was probably not in the least helpful, but I thought I would put in my two cents worth just in case! :smile:

• 2 months later...