Your Book Activity ~ August 2012

Kylie

I've finally been able to settle on reading Chronicles of Chrestomanci by Diana Wynn Jones if I manage to finish it it will be my second this month. I don't know what is wrong with me at the moment I keep picking up books and putting them down again!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completed The Railway Children - such a heart-warming read.

I was surprised to learn that it was written in 1908 - it has stood the test of time remarkably well!

Have picked out The Pickwick Papers to read next - this should be fun - I've only heard good things about it.

I'm about a quarter of the way through 'World Without End' by Ken Follett and so far I'm not impressed. It has got to the point where I'm not sure whether to plough through this, or give up.

Is this worth continuing with?

Well, I have destroyed 'The Girl who Played with Fire' By Stieg Larsson. It was ana excellent read, action packed from start to the end, and a much faster pace than the first book. Starting to see why some people rave about these books!

Lou x

I am currently reading Black Swan Rising - Lee Carroll so far its been good a bit Deborah Harkness (though not as good) although i have just discovered its a trilogy, oh for the days when it was only one book rather than having to wait for the rest of a series to come out!!

I've almost finished Emotional Geology, and will settle down with it for an hour later on, then need to pick up The Music of the Primes again, for another couple of chapters. Going to read that one as my at home book, and just take my Kindle into work with me this week.

Finished reading I Capture The Castle, by Dodie Smith. I enjoyed the first half immensely, but it became less funny and more angsty in the second half, which I didn't enjoy quite as much. It was definitely still worth reading though.

I really really want to read one of my Murdoch Mysteries books (by Maureen Jennings), but I MUST read some of the books which have been on my tbr shelf for literally years first. So after a pathetic amount of pithering over what book to read next, I have gone for Book Lover, by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack.

Completed The Railway Children - such a heart-warming read.

I was surprised to learn that it was written in 1908 - it has stood the test of time remarkably well!

That is one of my favouritest children's books ever! :D

I also love the 1970s film version, and the more recent remake (which was truer to the book!). :)

Finished reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian. I found it to be an ok read, more thought can be found in my reading thread.

Okay, I mean this with the utmost respect...but a history about tractors? :o And here I'd thought I'd read some off wall books! Don't think I'd ever want to try one about the history of a farm vehcle...are the Ukraine ones especially interesting? :giggle2::giggle2::giggle2:

Okay, I mean this with the utmost respect...but a history about tractors? :o And here I'd thought I'd read some off wall books! Don't think I'd ever want to try one about the history of a farm vehcle...are the Ukraine ones especially interesting? :giggle2::giggle2::giggle2:

:D

The title is a bit off the wall but it is a novel and not in fact about Ukrainian tractor history. The title comes from the fact that one of the characters happens to be writing a book about it but it barely features in the book.

On page 144 of The Sisters Brothers. So far I'm not really seeing what all the hype is about... :(

Borrowed three titles from the library yesterday: The Road, The Help and a novel by Jo Nesbø. I've also made a few reservations for books at the library :giggle: It's so nice going to work, to see if there are any titles that have arrived for me.

On page 144 of The Sisters Brothers. So far I'm not really seeing what all the hype is about... :(

:(

I loved that book :smile: Probably helps if you like westerns in the first place (which I do) :smile:

Current 180 pages into Deep Sky, the final book in Patrick Lee's 'Breach' trilogy. It's gloriously silly and very exciting :D

:(

I loved that book :smile: Probably helps if you like westerns in the first place (which I do) :smile:

I've never read them and I've had a feeling I wouldn't like them at all (I don't like horses, for instance). And I was rather worried I'd not like the western elements of the novel, but to me it's been really easy in that respect, I've not found it boring or uninteresting. it's an easy beginner's western, in my opinion, so that's not my problem. I'm not disliking the book, but I'm just not quite seeing why so many people have been praising it. Maybe that'll change later, I've not given up hope yet :)

That is one of my favouritest children's books ever! :D

I also love the 1970s film version, and the more recent remake (which was truer to the book!). :)

I hadn't heard of it growing up - but I can image I'd have loved it too, as a child!

I didn't know about the films - will try and find them if I can.

I'd love to re-visit that dear family :)

Finally finished The Land of Painted Caves, thank goodness, i've now started Collected Short Stories Vol 1 by Somerset Maugham in the hopes that it will soothe my bruised mojo :catsick: