Your Book Activity ~ August 2012

Kylie

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the audiobook of 11.22.63 by Stephen King and really enjoyed it, such an amazing story with great in-depth characters and events. Defintely one of my favourite King novels.

It was my first audiobook that I got as a freebie from audible, I did like the format and it was great for listening to in the car etc. but I don't think I will get anymore, it is just not the same as a good paperback.

How are you getting along with it now, it's been some time since you posted that ^ ? :) Sorry, I'm very curious :D

I've kind of put it on the back burner at the minute, I'm taking part in a reading challenge and i want to give the book my full attention, not to dip in and out of it. Its not to say that I'm not enjoying it, i am, but i want to get this reading challenge complete then i can go back to the book :)

In other bookish news i won Beauty by Lisa Daley and this arrived today :)

I've kind of put it on the back burner at the minute, I'm taking part in a reading challenge and i want to give the book my full attention, not to dip in and out of it. Its not to say that I'm not enjoying it, i am, but i want to get this reading challenge complete then i can go back to the book :)

That makes sense :) And congrats on winning a book! :D

I'm still reading Wonderful Fool. I was going to finish it last night but I dozed up pretty immediately after going to bed. Hopefully I'll finish it tonight... Especially because I borrowed four books from the library yesterday. I'm definitely borrowing a lot more books when I'm working there :rolleyes: The temptations!

Then I started reading I Capture the Castle, and what I want to know is....WHY haven't I read this before? So far, it is just wonderful :)

I'm sure I mentioned it Ruth .. very remiss of me if I didn't, it's one of my most fave books ever. Glad you are enjoying it :)

Reading a lot of Bill Bryson which is therapeutic because I've been struggling along with Surfacing by Margaret Atwood .. it's not particularly difficult, it's just not grabbing me. Also dipping in and out of Virginia Woolf's letters and diaries. You have to read them in bite sized chunks because otherwise your head would most likely cave in .. her mind is extraordinary .. how does she think of it all? .. doesn't she ever have days where she just thinks about cake or lagging the loft?

Finished... 'Home to Big Stone Gap' by Adriana Trigiani (4th in the Big Stone Gap Series)

Started... 'One Good Turn' by Kate Atkinson

Read The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson in one go yesterday evening ^-^ It was relaxing enough but not really great. I guess that non fiction doesn't agree with me that much.

Started Pat Barker's new novel Toby's Room,eagerly awaited as she's one of my favourite writers.

I loved her Regeneration Trilogy. Thanks for the heads up. I tried to order it through Book Depository, to get it now instead of the October 2nd release date here in the U.S., but couldn't. I've preordered it from Amazon though.

Read The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson in one go yesterday evening ^-^ It was relaxing enough but not really great. I guess that non fiction doesn't agree with me that much.

That's a shame. I picked it up at B&N a few weeks ago, the cover is great! Haven't started it yet though.

I'm still reading Citizen Sherman by Michael Fellman. It's great, I just haven't had time to read for a week or so.

Raced through The Hunger Games in just 2 days. I have a few small annoyances with the story and character but the book in its whole was a lot better then expected and very entertaining :D

That's a shame. I picked it up at B&N a few weeks ago, the cover is great! Haven't started it yet though.

I've had never read anything of him before and I had expected a much more scientific text then what I got. I had also read somewhere that it was supposed to be very, very funny. It was, to my slight disappointment, not that scientific and not really funny. It was interesting enough to keep me reading it until the end though ^.^ So it isn't bad or anything, just, not my style.

Finished only one book on holiday as we were so busy, The Rescue Man by Anthony Quinn. I liked it even more than his previous offering, Half of the Human Race. I'll try and get back into A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith now... :)

I finally finished read The Neverending Story yesterday and it felt like just that. The second half of this book really dragged me down it took 4 WEEKS to finish I just couldn't get into it at all, and I fully understand why they finished up the movie where they did.

I've now moved on to Mort by Terry Pratchett which so far is pretty good.

I finished Birdsong last night, and have picked up The Music of the Primes again this morning, although think I may read some fiction alongside it.

Thought I'd read Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh as the fiction choice, but I'm just not getting on with it. Read 80 or so pages, but it's not grabbing me at all at the moment.

I finally finished Wonderful Fool by Shusaku Endo and Tassuterapeutti by Anna-Liisa Suni (short stories about dogs and other animals :smile2:). I also started and finished The Golden Road by L. M. Montgomery and Dog On It by Spencer Quinn this weekend.

I finished The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins, and the first two stories in Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. Hopefully I will finish another one of his stories today. Oh, and I'm up to Book 5 of The Walking Dead series too.

I haven't read any of hers yet, Chesil, but I'm hoping to one of these days!

On my Laura Ingalls Wilder pile, I finished By the Shores of Silver Lake and have started The Long Winter. I think I have 3 left along with a non-fiction work about Laura to finish before my road trip in exactly one month from tomorrow! I think I can do it ;).

I also have recently started The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe and am very into it! I finished Shadow of Night on my vacation at the lake and need to write a review of it soon.

Edited by Peacefield

Now reading Stone Cradle by Louise Doughty,which is about a Romany family from 1875-1949. And pre-ordered Harvest by William Horwood,the 3rd in his Hyddenworld quartet.