Your Book Activity ~ August 2012

Kylie

My gosh is it August already?

I popped into a book store last month and picked up 10 books, of which two were free! I let my mum and bf pick one each. The best part is they were $5 Aus each!

by title/author

Conqueror - Conn Iggulden

Time's Legacy - Barbara Erskine

Dark Matter - Michelle Paver

The Things That Keep Us Here - Carla Buckley

The Sisters Brothers - Patrick DeWitt

Across The Face of The World - Russell Kirkpatrick

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dreadfully Ever After - Steve Hockensmith

# what I didn't know at the time, this is in fact the second book to PPandZ

and lastly

The Darkest Road - Guy Gavriel Kay

I just wish I could read as fast as I buy books! :giggle:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor the other day, it was pretty amazing and I recommend it to anyone. And yesterday (after years of waiting) I finally started The Saga of Larten Crepsley by Darren Shan. Finished Birth of a Killer last night and I am about half way through the 2nd one.

Its really good so far and I haven't been able to stop smiling while reading it haha. :)

I managed to finish 'War Horse' by Michael Morpurgo in a day and I loved it. It's a simple, but powerfully written novel.

Now I'm about to start 'World Without End' by Ken Follett. At 1237 pages (with tiny writing!), it's going to take me a while to finish this.

Its really good so far and I haven't been able to stop smiling while reading it haha. :)

I had that when I was re-reading the first couple before getting into the last two books. I was constantly smiling, but also felt really upset for what would happen.

Also, I'm now having to force my way through Mockingjay. It's got to the point where I'm even having problems with the actual structure of the book itself, let alone the actual content. I have a lot to say to Suzanne Collins if I ever meet her :P

I had that when I was re-reading the first couple before getting into the last two books. I was constantly smiling, but also felt really upset for what would happen.

Also, I'm now having to force my way through Mockingjay. It's got to the point where I'm even having problems with the actual structure of the book itself, let alone the actual content. I have a lot to say to Suzanne Collins if I ever meet her :P

Haha you mean what was to come in Killers of the Dawn? if so really trying hard to to think of it as it makes me cry every time. And no matter how many times I read it (its its been a lot haha) I always believe that everything was ok. I think its because I have want to believe everything will be ok!. (another reason why I love Darren Shan, he has no problems killing of main characters where lots of others play it safe)

By the way , with Birth of a Killer (and what I imagined to be the rest) , even though I must admit I was happy with it, did you feel that Darren was in a way making it hard for people who haven't read The Saga of Darren Shan to keep track of what was going on? In the sense that he was a boy one minuet and then the next years had gone by? Now don't get me wrong, I think it was timed perfectly but I've read The Saga of Darren Shan back to front more times then I care to count and think the most important time in his life was obviously as an older vampire. It was nice to see where he came from and how he became a vampire but that was enough.

I just think that some people who haven't read The Saga of Darren Shan and decided to read The Saga of Larten Crepsley first as they knew it was a prequel might think its a bit rushed and too fast paced. Or then again it could just be me haha. (wouldn't surprise me, my opinions normally differ from others)

Hahaha bless you. If you don't like it you don't like it. Hell I think its refreshing that you don't because even though I love it all the hype is starting to get on my nerves now. It's why sometimes I try to stick to books without such big publicity surrounding it. I've made that mistake too many times recently.

P.s I got the Battle Royal book yesterday. So once I've finished The Saga of Larten Crepsley I'll read it and tell you what I think :) & read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Its got a love story, about angels & demons but its not like the rest, promise. I think you could like it.

By the way , with Birth of a Killer (and what I imagined to be the rest) , even though I must admit I was happy with it, did you feel that Darren was in a way making it hard for people who haven't read The Saga of Darren Shan to keep track of what was going on? In the sense that he was a boy one minuet and then the next years had gone by? Now don't get me wrong, I think it was timed perfectly but I've read The Saga of Darren Shan back to front more times then I care to count and think the most important time in his life was obviously as an older vampire. It was nice to see where he came from and how he became a vampire but that was enough.

I just think that some people who haven't read The Saga of Darren Shan and decided to read The Saga of Larten Crepsley first as they knew it was a prequel might think its a bit rushed and too fast paced. Or then again it could just be me haha. (wouldn't surprise me, my opinions normally differ from others)

I definitely thought that, though I think that because Darren Shan has a large enough fanbase it doesn't matter too much as most people who have picked these books up will have read the others, and if they haven't then they will want to read the others to understand the first book a lot more.

And I do agree that the pacing of the books are near perfect. It's like a photo album, almost, showing snapshots of his life. But they are always key parts and actually make sense in the long run as to why they were included, either in the original Saga or in the later books. It was all planned out rather well :D

I definitely thought that, though I think that because Darren Shan has a large enough fanbase it doesn't matter too much as most people who have picked these books up will have read the others, and if they haven't then they will want to read the others to understand the first book a lot more.

And I do agree that the pacing of the books are near perfect. It's like a photo album, almost, showing snapshots of his life. But they are always key parts and actually make sense in the long run as to why they were included, either in the original Saga or in the later books. It was all planned out rather well :D

Yeah you are right about his fanbase. I just hope people who are new to him decided to read the rest.

I never thought of it like that but you are right, it is like a photo album.

haha I'm looking forward to it. I'm really looking forward to Arra and Larten being together. And more of The Cirque du Freak obviously.

I have an idea of how the last book will end, because of Darren's previous writing style, but I'll keep it to myself in case I'm wrong. We'll see next week haha.

Finished reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian. I found it to be an ok read, more thought can be found in my reading thread.

Not sure what to read next, ive got a few Irvine Welsh, The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo and Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami calling me.

Over the last few days, I managed to (finally!) complete Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha. Even though I could appreciate it for it was, the writing-style was extremely distracting.

Also completed the interesting YA-book: Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, and the delightfully silly Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence A'ooh, that's rude'er.

Have started on E.Nesbit's The Railway Children, which I'm enjoying!

I am currently about a third through Mark Cavendish' autobiography (up until 2009 at least) Boy Racer, having been inspired to read it after having seen the great man in action the weekend before last. It is very well written as it happens, and I like this writing style as much as much as I like the man himself, including his Manx accent.

Edited by Talisman

I finally finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell last night. As much as I enjoyed it, I'm relieved to have finished it as it wasn't an easy read. It took a lot of concentration and focus - for me at least. So now I want to read something easy, but the best I can come up with is Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. The number of unread books I have on my Kindle (let alone my bookshelf :sarcastic: ) is ridiculous, and I'm really struggling with which ones to read next.

I started SAS Warlord by Tom Seigrest and after 50 pages threw it back on my bookcase. It is meant to be non-fiction, which it isn't in my opinion and it's very poorly written. Gave up on that and decided to make a start on Live & Let Die by Ian Fleming.

I earlier forgot to add that I also managed to complete Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White.

It was a coming-of-age story of two cousins - very-well written - and one of my best reads this year.

I'm within 2 pages of finishing the epilogue of A First-Rate Madness by Nassir Ghaemi. Fascinating study.

Newish theories about insanity (per medical definition) and leadership, and effects there of.

He has sections of analysis on many leaders of the free world past and present.

A great blend of history and psychiatry.

Read Animal Farm yesterday, and loved it. This morning I started The Miracle Inspector, by Helen Smith - it's a dystopian novel, somewhat reminiscent of The Handmaid's Tale (which I loved). Really enjoying it so far :)