Your Book Activity ~ August 2012

Kylie

I kicked off my August book activity by receiving a book in the mail: A Book to Love. It was published by the ABC, the network that presents the First Tuesday Book Club on TV. It's a collection of essays by various authors about their favourite books. :)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started 'The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo' yesterday, but to be honest, I really am struggling to get in to it! and it is a beast of a book (on 465 pages) but the type face is TINY!!!

Lou x

Hi Lou. :) Yes the size is daunting and it is quite slow to start, but if you decide to stick with it, you'll be rewarded because it picks up a lot and gets quite exciting, in my opinion. :D

I started 'The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo' yesterday, but to be honest, I really am struggling to get in to it! and it is a beast of a book (on 465 pages) but the type face is TINY!!!

Lou x

The first half of the book is a bit of a drag but it does get better! I promise! Totally worth continuing with :)

Finished Divergent by Veronica Roth. I really really enjoyed this book! I got a bit of a Hunger Games vibe from it, but it moves past that very quickly. Intriguing story! I couldn't put it down!

Now comes the fun part - trying to find my next read! It isn't going too well...

finished A Wolf at the Table....I may start The Little Stranger tonight....if the mood suits

Oooh! How did you like A Wolf at the Table?! :)

I've finished The Dresskeeper by Mary Nalus and I've started Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell, slightly daunted at the minute, its massive!

Keep going, I'm pretty sure you'll be hooked in no time at all and you'll love it and when you do finish it, you will think you could've read for a lot longer :D

I finished my previous read today, now I need to pick up something really engaging for the night so I won't stay up all night worrying about tomorrow, but engrossed in a good story :smile2: Have no idea which book to choose...

Keep going, I'm pretty sure you'll be hooked in no time at all and you'll love it and when you do finish it, you will think you could've read for a lot longer :D

hehe, im sure once i get 50 or so pages in ill be ok, i just need to get a feel for the story first and stop worrying about the size :)

Currently reading: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

TBR this month: An Abundance of Katerines by John Green, Willow by Julia Hoban, Gone by Michael Grant, Hunger by Michael Grant,Lies by Michael Grant, Plague by Michael Grant, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, Pretties by Scott Westerfeld, Specials by Scott Westerfeld, Extras by Scott Westerfeld,

Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver,

I've started Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell, slightly daunted at the minute, its massive!

This is one of those books on my "I REALLY have to read it at some point" list.

---

I started "A Place Called Here" by Cecelia Ahern and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm still thinking more about the Nightrunner series from which I just finished the second book, so I feel like I'm not quite getting into the new book yet.

hehe, im sure once i get 50 or so pages in ill be ok, i just need to get a feel for the story first and stop worrying about the size :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember being very intimidated by the size! Give it time, good luck and happy reading! :friends3:

This is one of those books on my "I REALLY have to read it at some point" list.

I fully recommend it, I didn't expect to like it but I really, really did! :smile2:

I've started reading Wonderful Fool by Shusaku Endo (a book that I almost nominated for the August RC, and which I think Weave has already read and likes. Also, a friend's brother recommended it to me in the first place, for the RC.) Pretty interesting so far!

I have just four chapters left in The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis (about 60 pages) but that's a good couple of hours reading, as Saramago's style is quite difficult to read quickly and needs plenty of concentration. Will probably take me into tomorrow. :)

I've really started to get into it now, im only about 50 pages or so in, but its very good :)

I fully recommend it, I didn't expect to like it but I really, really did! :smile2:

Then it's settled, I need to read it when I get back to Aberdeen...I even bought it a while back.

---

Finished A Place Called Here by Cecelia Ahern and in the end I liked it a lot; now I've started Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh.

Oooh! How did you like A Wolf at the Table?! :)

Well, it was ok I guess......I kept feeling like I was waiting for something big to come....and it didn't....I definitely liked Running with Scissors better.....

although the part about the dog and the tumor really bothered me

Finished Room by Emma Donoghue, which totally blew me away :)

'Room' is a brilliant novel, one of my best reads from last year.

Anyway, I have finished 'May I Have Your Attention Please?' and although sometimes Corden becomes a little gushy over some of the directors he has worked with at times, I really enjoyed it.

Having seen the film adaptation, I'm now about to start Michael Morpurgo's novel 'War Horse'.

Lou x

Like everyone else has siad, it does get much better! For me it didn't take too long to get into it but I know a few people who read 100 or so pages before they got into. By the end I literally couldn't put it down and read the last quater or so in one sitting as I was so immersed in it. Carry on and break through that barrier :D

As for myself I'm on book three of The Saga of Larten Crepsley, I've started a new, very time consuming job recently so I've had hardly any time to read :( but I'm going to try my best on the weekends and the nights I'm not too worn out :)