You're going on holiday, you get two books!

I'm off to France for a month, and I'm doing the packing thing. I dont have a lot of room for books, though I probably wont have much time to read while I'm there, so I'm just bringing 2. One for pleasure and one for study.

But I wanted to pose a fun question... if you had to pack only 2 books right now for your summer vacation, out of books you already own now, what would they be?

Think fast!

The Pickwick Papers and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

As I intend to read these two after I'm done with Paddy Clarke.

Edited by bree

ONLY TOO BOOKS? ON HOLIDAY? Are you kidding me? :eek: I'd stay at home rather than agree to that rule! :lol:

As I'm going through my TBR I only have a handful of books left and I guess I'd have to pick Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks, because it's 800 pages long so at least it would be a couple of days reading, and The Music Of The Primes by Marcus Du Sautoy because maths books always require study and concentration to get the most out of them. After that I'd be hoping that wherever we stayed had a selection of books I could borrow.

I've come out in a cold sweat just thinking about limiting myself that strictly - thank goodness for my Kindle!

I've come out in a cold sweat just thinking about limiting myself that strictly - thank goodness for my Kindle!

My thought was, yes I would take two tree books, but my Kindle would find it's way into my bag too. :D It always does!

My thought was, yes I would take two tree books, but my Kindle would find it's way into my bag too. :D It always does!

I'd even resort to the Kindle app on my phone just to provide additional reading, otherwise I'd be stalking people in cafés so I could read over their shoulder!

It all sounds good! Maybe it's a very short vacation? Like a long weekend perhaps ;)

I'm seriously only taking two books, for a month, partly due to my bags not being big enough and not owning a kindle... but also as I said I dont think I'm going to get much reading time. And hopefully I'll make some buddies and can chit chat :)

I'll be taking The Evolution of Language (proceedings of a recent conference, I'm writing an essay and forcing myself to read though it, yawn) and Language the Cultural Tool by Daniel Everett. Noticing a theme...? :)

If I was limited to only two books, that rules out my Kindle. So, looking at my bookshelf I would take I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb (coz it would give me a chance to finally read it - I'm embarrassed by how long it's been sat on the shelf :blush2: ) and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (also, for how long I have had it sat on my shelf :giggle2: ).

If I was limited to only two books, that rules out my Kindle. So, looking at my bookshelf I would take I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb (coz it would give me a chance to finally read it - I'm embarrassed by how long it's been sat on the shelf :blush2: ) and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (also, for how long I have had it sat on my shelf :giggle2: ).

I don't know about the Wally Lamb (also have it on my wishlist) but as for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell .. you would be in for a treat. I would be wishing you either terrible weather or brilliant (I expect you would prefer the brilliant bobbly :D) so that you couldn't do anything but sit and read. It does need to be persevered with early on but once you do it's glorious.

The Naked And The Dead - Norman Mailer (I first read this on holiday and every time I reread it I'm reminded of the beach hut.

The Master And Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov (I've been trying to reread this but always get sidetracked. I feel I need a holiday with no distractions to get through it again.

.. you would be in for a treat. I would be wishing you either terrible weather or brilliant (I expect you would prefer the brilliant bobbly :D) so that you couldn't do anything but sit and read. It does need to be persevered with early on but once you do it's glorious.

Sounds like it's time to bump that one higher up on my TBR list. :D

When I went to Iceland a couple of years ago, all I had room (and weight) for was 2 books, and to be honest, I was out and about walking and travelling so much that I didn't have time for reading anyway. The 2 books I took were a Lonely Planet guide and an Icelandic novel, so I would be inclined to something similar.

funnily enough I am going on holiday next week and will probably only take two books.

Most likely:

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. (wanted to read for ages)

Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance. (I've made a start on it and want to power through).