Your Book Activity ~ July 2012

Kylie

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a good way, I hope, Bree? I thought it was an excellent novel.

It was really good.

Though it was the kind of novel which was difficult to read, not very entertaining, at one point even made me question whether I need to really read about all this misery, and yet has an amazing soul to it, if you know what I mean. The writing was extraordinary.

I've lost my mojo :(

Awww no :empathy: Who's got Sofia's mojo? :angry: give it back now!!

Just looked....and nope I don't have it :P

I finished The Glass guardian last night, loved it. Linda Gillard is up there in my top 5 fav authors! Now reading Untying The Knot also by Linda.

I've just finished The Hare With The Amber Eyes which is a biography of a family from the 1870s to now, and completely, unexpectedly, fabulous. :)

Another one that's been looking at me from the shelves for ages .. I'm glad to hear it's good though Claire. That puts it in a more favourable light :)

I've picked up Holes by Louis Sachar.

I've seen this title mentioned on almost every must-read book list for children/YA - it sound promising!

Edited by bree

I've seen this title mentioned on almost every must-read book list for children/YA - it sound promising!

It's a good book, bree, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And another book with a good film adaptation - in fact I saw the film version first, and when I came to read the book, I was surprised how true to the book it was, and a great cast to boot! Hope you enjoy it too. :smile2:

It's a very good book, good film too! Hope you enjoy it Bree.

I'm still reading Tune In Tokyo. It was light and fluffy, which is what I needed at the time, but now I wish it had more substance, as it's becoming a bit of a struggle. :sarcastic:

It's a good book, bree, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And another book with a good film adaptation - in fact I saw the film version first, and when I came to read the book, I was surprised how true to the book it was, and a great cast to boot! Hope you enjoy it too. :smile2:

Will look out for the film - thank you, you two for bringing it to my notice. :friends3:

I started on it thisafternoon - and already loved the name Stanley Yelnats - something felt familiar about it.

I just realised Yelnats was Stanley spelt backwards :D

I think I'm going to like this book- I like such touches of silliness in children books :)

I'm about halfway through 'The Dandelion Clock' by Guy Burt and it's a very atmospheric, intriguing read so far. Having read two other Burt books, I love his interesting, sometimes unconventional approach to writing.

Finished Tune In Tokyo (fell asleep while reading it, never a good sign!), and have gone back to The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins. However, I find non-fiction too heavy to read in one go, so I may start something else. Not sure, but it will be one of:

The Book of Human Skin - Michelle Lovric

Mercury Falls - Robert Kroese

The Girl on the Wall - Jean Baggott

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

Any opinions gratefully received. :smile:

I finished Beyond The Deepwoods, the first Edge Chronicles book by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. It's a great little book, and I could not be happier that there are TEN MORE BOOKS in the series for me to read! :D

Oh dear, I really disliked this movie! My ex wanted me to watch it and I thought it was really silly. However, I only saw part of it and I've only heard good things about the book, so I might give it (the book) a go one day. If I enjoy the book I might even give the movie another chance!

I've read a little more of The Great Typo Hunt.

Yesterday I got a copy of Andersen's Fairy Tales for 50c in my local charity shop! I have only ever read a few of his stories, but for 50c I figured I may as well give the others a go!

Finished Cloudstreet & have started Jigs & Reels a collection of short stories by Joanne Harris.

Took some books to the charity shop yesterday & came out with

Drums Of Autumn Diana Gabaldon

The Line Of Beauty Alan Hollinghurst