Your Book Activity ~ July 2012

Kylie

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started reading Cloudstreet but I have to say, I haven't been able to get into the story :( Does it pick up anytime soon?

Aww :( How much have you read? Wait until they move into the house and it'll pick up then (I have no recollection of when this happens - it could be on page 2 for all I know). It's a family saga in the same vein as Middlesex, so I'm hoping you'll get into it more!

I received two books in the mail yesterday:

Kingsley Amis The King's English

Morris Gleitzman Now

I've started reading Cloudstreet but I have to say, I haven't been able to get into the story :( Does it pick up anytime soon?

If it helps I didn't even understand what was happening till around the 20th page or so :blush:

And then suddenly I was drawn in.

Keep with it frankie, and as Kylie has said - when they move into the house on Cloudstreet - you'll be right there with them.

The Hare with Amber Eyes is another book on my TBR shelf, I'll watch out for a review! :smile:

I'm about halfway through now, and it's completely different to what I was expecting and I'm utterly fascinated by it. :smile2:

I haven't read that much yet (about 10%) but it gripped me and pulled me in from the first page! :readingtwo:

Sounds promising then! :D

To be honest, if you are struggling at the beginning, then you may struggle through the whole book in my opinion. :wacko: I don't think there's a certain point in the story, where it changed - the style and story stay on a pretty even keel from beginning to end. Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear. :empathy:

MIchelle - I have decided to treat myself and get ADOW on my kindle and will start it after The Glass Guardian, a few people at work have enjoyed it so I am looking forward to the challenge lol

You've made me pick up my copy poppyshake, i started it last night so I'm only a couple of chapters in but the writing style is lovely... :smile:

I'm glad :smile:I hope you continue to enjoy it Chalie.

The Snow Child is a lovely book, I'm not sure how I felt about the end though.

Ooh .. I feel I can't say anything or I'll be giving too much away. There were several 'end scenarios' in my head .. some were similar to what actually happened although I didn't guess it exactly. It felt right to me .. though that doesn't mean that I liked it .. or disliked it ... oh I'd better shut up :D

I'm going to start Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs .. it's been so highly recommended on here that I approach it without fear :D

Over half way through Alone in Berlin, the relationships of all the characters and the lengths they will go to, to out do each other is intense.

I saw this in a charity shop yesterday, and almost bought it. I wish I had now. I do like books set during WWII....maybe I will go back today and see if they still have it :)

I hae almost finished Pure by Andrew Miller. It has been an interesting read - I can't say I love it, but it has certainly got under my skin. I have a biography about Paul Newman (by Shawn Levy; a writer who I have enjoyed in the past) and was planning on starting that next, but then I spotted a Clark Gable bio on my shelf this morning, which I have meant to read for ages, so am a bit torn!

I saw this in a charity shop yesterday, and almost bought it. I wish I had now. I do like books set during WWII....maybe I will go back today and see if they still have it :)

I know it is very highly regarded as a book and makes a lot of 'book lists', so far it's been nothing but a rewarding read.

I know it is very highly regarded as a book and makes a lot of 'book lists', so far it's been nothing but a rewarding read.

Bought it at lunchtime from the local charity shop - hope I enjoy it as much as you are doing :)

(I also bought Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey, and Continental Drifter by Tim Moore, while I was there :giggle::blush2: )

I'm going to start Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs .. it's been so highly recommended on here that I approach it without fear :D

Thanks to a couple of recommendations here....I picked up Miss Peregrine...verra happy I did. I read the whole thing yesterday, finishing late last night. Loved it.

So, enjoy! :readingtwo:

Bought it at lunchtime from the local charity shop - hope I enjoy it as much as you are doing :)

(I also bought Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey, and Continental Drifter by Tim Moore, while I was there :giggle::blush2: )

Sorry Ruth, but I can't quite make out your second line there, something about 2 further books? Must be a forum glitch! ;)

I am still wending my way through the totally non taxing books related to the Torchwood tv series. Wotcanudoaboutit?

I am about two thirds through my 2nd book of the month - Inside Job by Charles Ferguson. I saw the film of the same name a few months ago and that was bad enough (its an expose of the banking industry in mostly America), but the film was nothing compared to the book !

Edited by Talisman

I've lost my mojo :(

Awww no :empathy: Who's got Sofia's mojo? :angry: give it back now!!

Have you checked under the coffee table and the back of the wardrobe? That's usually where I find anything I've lost. ;)

I'm still reading The Hare With The Amber Eyes. I can't believe how different it is from what I was expecting - that'll teach me not to judge a book based on an interview with the author!

Edited by chesilbeach

I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society yesterday. I nearly put it straight down when I saw it was written in letters, as I don't like books like that, but I persisted. I'm glad I did. Excellent book.

Sorry Ruth, but I can't quite make out your second line there, something about 2 further books? Must be a forum glitch! ;)

I am still wending my way through the totally non taxing books related to the Torchwood tv series. Wotcanudoaboutit?

Ahem....yes, obviously a glitch!!

Started reading Paul Newman: A Life, by Shawn Levy, this morning. I think it's going to be a great read - I very much enjoyed Levy's book about the Rat Pack, and am a big fan of Paul Newman. :)

I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society yesterday. I nearly put it straight down when I saw it was written in letters, as I don't like books like that, but I persisted. I'm glad I did. Excellent book.

Oh, I'm glad you liked it. I thoroughly enjoyed every word of it :)

Good for you! I loved it when I read it a few years back, and I think it's become quite a favourite here on the forum :)

Completed Cloudstreet last night.

Not keen on starting another book right away - Cloudstreet is still lingering in my mind...

Awww no :empathy: Who's got Sofia's mojo? :angry: give it back now!!

yes, please!!! thanks Poppy :)

Have you checked under the coffee table and the back of the wardrobe? That's usually where I find anything I've lost. ;)

everywhere....and nothing :(