Looking for "Horsey" novels

The clue is in the title, folks - I'm on the hunt for novels where horses get a share of the action :smile:

Although I don't ride myself, I've been a lover of horses since childhood, but for some reason have never come across many novels featuring them - apart from "Black Beauty" (Anna Sewell), and "The Little White Horse" (Elizabeth Goudge) both dearly-loved from w-a-y back then.

Yes, I know Dick Francis has written loads, but ideally I'd like to try something where murder doesn't figure large ...

So - if you have any favourites. let me know about them here, will you?

Thanks, good neigh-bours :D

Hi Chrissy, thank Crunchie it's Friday, eh? A bit of weekend - and extra book time, ahead!

Thanks for all the tips, folks .... what were some of your favourite parts, then? It's amazing how even fiction books (very underrated by some) can have quite an effect on the readers.

Did anyone else see the "Warhorse" itself saluting the Queen at the London Thames flotilla?

It almost brought a tear to my eye .... aren't I a big softie?!

Did anyone else see the "Warhorse" itself saluting the Queen at the London Thames flotilla?

It almost brought a tear to my eye .... aren't I a big softie?!

Us too! The realistic movement of the horse was fabulous, and we definitely teared up when it gave it's horsey salute. Wonderful. :smile:

And why didn't I think of War Horse? :doh: I am yet to read it, but it is on my shelf waiting for me.

• 1 month later...

Us too! The realistic movement of the horse was fabulous, and we definitely teared up when it gave it's horsey salute. Wonderful. :smile:

And why didn't I think of War Horse? :doh: I am yet to read it, but it is on my shelf waiting for me.

I saw this too and thought it was wonderful. I would love to see the stage show. I have just finished the book and I would definitely recommend it. The book is slightly simpler than the film, but I think that this makes it more of a powerful read.