A Question for our USA members

Most of my faavourite authors are American - Lisa Gardner, Karin Slaughter, James Patterson, PJ Tracy, Harlan Coben. I do have English authors that I enjoy too - Ben Elton, Martina Cole. I wondered if any of our American members read and enjoy any English authors?

Well now, I'm an American.

I guess I'm a typical American Snob in that I really don't pay attention where the author is from. I might be wrong but I think some of my favorite all time authors wrote Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Othello and Midsummers Nights Dream, Mack the Knife in the Three Penny Opera; I read The Secret Garden a while ago and now am munching happily on Anne of Green Gables - I just don't know but they "feel" like they may have been by an English author.

Now, was that the longest sentence ever? I need to go back to grammar school and have the School Marm smack me with a ruler.

• 2 months later...

I think that a lot of my favorite authors are actually British:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Jane Austen

Charles Dickens

All 3 Brontes

However, most of the contemporary books I read are American thrillers:

Stephen King

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Michael Crichton

John Sandford

John Saul

Hopefully by joining this forum, I will have the opportunity to learn more about contemporary British authors! :lol:

Hm, good question! I try to share the love a little bit amongst all the countries:mrgreen: I just finished Good Omens, which was TOTALLY AWESOME. And well, Harry Potter, Golden Compass, Lemony Snicket are all really good. As well as Bridget Jones, Curious Incident and if Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things. I guess I could go on and on. I'm also smack in the middle of a History of English Lit class...just getting to the 17th century now:) And digging it. Sonnets! I don't think I choose based on country of origin! My interests and moods are so varied. Recently I read my first Murakami, which was awesome, and who didn't love The Kite Runner? And Isabel Allende...sigh, she's so good. Smilla's Sense of Snow! Cornelia Funke!

:lol:

• 7 years later...

I read books from authors from various countries. I don't normally look it up before I buy the book to be honest. I think it's interesting to read books from various countries, though I do admit that I read more books from some countries than others. What matters to me is if the book is good.