New York Social Diary article on London Bookshops

Daunt's in Marylebone is my favourite bookshop of all. And the one in Primrose Hill is nice, too. You could easily do both of those, with a nice walk across Regent's Park thrown in. And a trip up Primrose Hill to top it all off - it's the best view in London. Daunt's also have a one-off, Owl Books, in nearby Kentish Town, which again is pretty close and deserves a mention.

And I think we had a little discussion about Persephone on here a while ago - just across the road is a very nice discount bookshop called The Lamb Bookshop, which is a cut above your usual "pile 'em high remainders" outfit.

The London Review cakeshop is nice, but I've never found the staff in the bookshop there especially welcoming. Maybe that's just me.

Stanford's is always worth a look if you're around Covent Garden, although it's less serious about books than it once was and seems to be diversifying into travel-related "sundries" which makes it look a bit tacky.

All in all, though, we're pretty well off for independent booksellers here. Long may it last!

I've been dying to visit London for ages to do a tour of bookshops, especially Persephone Books (one of the ones on this article). I love the link to the London map with all the bookshops marked on it! I've bookmarked it for future reference :smile2: