Looking for a book about a lonely girl with issues

I think the book is Australian, but I'm not a 100% sure. It's about a mother, her partner and the mothers daughter. The novel is focused on the young girl aged around 7, who is

thought to be Schizophrenic. She is extremely lonely and has an imaginary friend. It is revealed only towards the end of the novel that the step father was sexually assaulting her.

It's a really sad book. I read it a few years ago and don't remember the author or title. I would like to read it again and possibly other books by the same author.

Edited by frankie
changed place of spoiler tags.

I think you might be talking about Elizabeth Flock's Me & Emma, it certainly fits the bill. It was a great but harrowing read!

I've also read Flock's But Inside I'm Screaming, which I also liked, but that might be at least partly due to me being able to relate to the protagonist. I would recommend you give it a go, though :) I'm also looking out for her other novels.

I think you might be talking about Elizabeth Flock's Me & Emma, it certainly fits the bill. It was a great but harrowing read!

I've also read Flock's But Inside I'm Screaming, which I also liked, but that might be at least partly due to me being able to relate to the protagonist. I would recommend you give it a go, though :) I'm also looking out for her other novels.

Frankie, I loved 'But inside I'm Screaming', again because at that time in my life I could relate. Thanks for starting the thread, I will start reading Me and Emma now...it's been sitting on my shelf for years!!

Andie P x

Andie, great to hear there are other Flock fans out there! :smile2: I can't wait to hear what you think of Me & Emma!

I'm also thankful to the original poster, I've been meaning to buy Flock's other novels, I needed a reminder :)

Andie, great to hear there are other Flock fans out there! :smile2: I can't wait to hear what you think of Me & Emma!

I'm also thankful to the original poster, I've been meaning to buy Flock's other novels, I needed a reminder :)

As soon as I have finished my getting larger every day TBR read I will eventually get down to Me and Emma!! Will let you know Frankie!!

Andie P x

Ekimmue, Kylie already changed the topic title but I changed it a bit more, because

I believe that the girl's diagnosed mental illness was revealed to the reader only at the end, and in the beginning the reader was led to believe that the girl really had a friend called Emma.

• 2 weeks later...