Andie P's reading list 2012

Andie P

So everyone else seems to be doing it so I will start my reading list for this year (as I am very new to this will just start with what I have read this year so far..which isn't much I must admit):

The Magic Cottage by James Herbert

Riley by Catherine Cookson

and currently reading The Haunted by Niki Valentine... reviews to follow!

Andie x

Ok, so here is my review for The Magic Cottage:

James Herbert is described as Britain's best chiller fiction writer, having seen this written on the book and also being a hardcore horror fan, I just had to give it a go.

The Magic Cottage follows a loving couple, Midge and Mike Gudgeon buying a secluded cottage within a peaceful forest and leave their busy life in London behind. It doesn't take long before strange things start to happen and a more sinister side of the cottage and the local community develops including visits by the dark mysterious figure in the woods.

The story is narrated by Mike Gudgeon which I found easy to read and I built a quick empathy and relationship with him.

Herbert's descriptive skills provided me with insightful imaginary. However, I thought the story was too far fetched, plot was stretched out far too long and I was really disappointed with the ending. I wouldn't put this under the genre of horror, perhaps more a fantasy thriller as I wasn't scared in the least. Don't read if you are inpatient as it's drawn out far too long without much excitement.

Brilliant descriptive writer nevertheless and a story I will remember despite my disappointment.

80052.jpg?w=150

Thank you Bookworm for liking my review! That is exactly what I would describe it, an 'escapsit novel'.

I want to be a fan as I love horror but I have failed to come across one of his novels so far that I really enjoyed.

Andie x

So here is my next review.

So, OK OK, this isn't exactly in keeping with my hopeful reputation as a horror reader/writer but it just goes to show just how eclectic my taste can be! Seriously though I was told that Catherine Cookson is the 'best storyteller of all time' so I gave the first book I came across in the charity shop a go.

The story begins by introducing Riley at an early age and being influenced greatly by his teacher (and future long term friend) to become an aspiring actor. Riley leaves school with a poor education and jumps into theatre work straight away, here he is tutored by an older women and a relationship quickly develops.

The book follows Riley's relationship and his journey of getting older and the trials and tribulations of life. The story is mainly built around the characters relationships, I found these all believable and true to life. Most of the dialogue was in a Newcastle accent which initially I found difficult to read but as I got used to it the more it helped the personality of the characters build and I got to know them better.

This was a long story which I found never really 'got going' and the events that happen were quite predictable, however it is a well told melodramatic story.

I'm not sure I am convinced I shall read another Catherine Cookson novel, as it lacked the excitement I look for in a book but she is certainly a good writer and I hope I can tell a story as good as she one of these days!

Andie x

Edited by Andie P

Hi Andie , I enjoyed your review of Magic Cottage, I read this a long time ago, It was so long ago I cannot remember the actual events of the story but strangely enough I do remember feeling exactly as you felt , that it was a weak ending and not very scary altogether.

I read a lot of James Herbert when I was a teenager but I got bored of his style, which seemed to consist of creating a disposable character with a page or two of description and then killing them off in the next couple of pages.

Well done for going out of your comfort zone and reading a Catherine Cookson just to check out her writing. You mentioned that you write (or want to write) so it definitely won't hurt to look at lots of styles of popular authors.

Hi Addicted! Yes I love to write but have not had anything ever published so I am still learning. I like to read many different genres and like you say popular authors but I always seem to come back to my favourite; horror!!

I am hoping I come across a James Herbert I like, time will tell!

Andie x

Hi Andie I read Magic Cottage years ago I remember liking it at the time however my taste in reading has changed as I've got older so I don't think I'd feel the same way about it if I were to read it now. :smile:

My challenge today is to finish The Haunted and write my review in preparation for my delivery of The people next door by Christopher Ransom. I have decided to give him another go, I read The Birthing House and loved it, then quickly read The Haunting of James Hastings and thought it was boring, but I'm going to give his next novel a go and hope I enjoy it so I can start being a fan again!

Watch this space.

Andie x

So I managed to finish 'The Haunted' and quickly create a review before I move onto my next book...so here goes:

Book description: "They wanted a honeymoon adventure. They found a place of nightmares."

The Haunted is a clever novel, full of twists and psychological turns. I wouldn't class it as a stereotypical horror story but more a psychological thriller with a touch of the paranormal.

The story is based in mainly one place, that being the Highlands of Scotland, with only two characters. I believe this demonstrates Valentine's skill as a writer and story teller, she is able to create a simple but effective story.

I visit the Highlands regularly so I can confirm the description and imaginary was perfect, I could imagine it all in detail.

I genuinely can say that I didn't expect some of the twists and turns, usually I am quite good at guessing what will happen next but most of the time I was surprised. The more paranormal aspects of the story had me looking over my shoulder at night, I wouldn't say it scared me as such but I was certainly a little jumpy!

I am a huge horror fan and I my frequent criticism of them is that the story is too far fetched. I can't say this about this story at all, it was just about right for me and was a really believable creation.

At times the novel had a few 'lulls' but I think it was written like that to build the suspense for the next twist.

Characters were built well and I quickly became friends with the protagonist, I particularly enjoyed the ending because of this however it did seem to drag on slightly in comparison to the rest of the novel.

Niki Valentine is already a succesful writer under a pseudonym however she is releasing her second psychological horror in October this year so I will be pre-ordering that!

This book was easy to read, not overcomplicated but very effective. I will be recommending to others for sure.

Hi Andie

I read the magic cottage a couple of years ago. I thought it was quite good, but yes the ending was a bit weak and far too drawn out. I just wanted it to wrap up already :)

I like the sound of The Haunted.

Just finished The Women in Black.....review to follow.

Picked up 'Worlds beyond Words' at work which was donated to encourage reading. It's about people who have overcome problems and realise the power of reading. It's only a quick read so will soon have another review on it's way.

Decided not to read 'Bag of Bones' by Stephen King, decided to listen to it on audio instead! I just don't have the time to fit them all in!!

Andie P x

Sorry this has taken so long but here is my review for The Women in Black...enjoy!!!

The Women in Black was first published in 1983, when I read this I became concerned that I may find it too ‘old fashioned’ as usually I enjoy modern horror/paranormal stories. However, the book remained current and from the first chapter I was hooked. This is the first time I have read any of Susan Hill’s work, I am now a huge fan and have just purchased another two of her books, she is a fantastic atmospheric writer and has the ability to draw you in with ease. I have heard the book being described as ‘good old fashioned ghost story’, for me it certainly includes all the usual staples of a ghost story but it is not ordinary or predictable. It had me looking over my shoulder on many occasions (which rarely happens). The story is narrated by the protagonist, Arthur Kipps. It begins with Arthur spending Christmas with his family and then jumps back to his time as a young Solicitor, Arthur retrospectively begins a memoir of the frightening experiences of when he was asked to take care of the estate of the deceased Mrs Alice Drablow. Most of the story is based within the eerie Eel Marsh House, belonging to Mrs Drablow. Arthur decides to spend a few nights inside the house whilst he is dealing with the affairs, against the advice of the locals! The introduction of the local characters and their suggestive but non-committal ways heightens the anticipation. I realise I am keeping my review quite vague but I really don’t want to give anything away and spoil it! I have seen a trailer for the film adaptation of which I can’t wait to see, however I think it is true to say that the book will remain the most chilling option. I read once that the mind can scare itself by a book more so than anything portrayed on screen, and in this case, I would definitely agree. Highly recommended if you look a good scare, I can’t wait to read the rest of Hill’s work.

Andie P x

Just started The Man in the picture by Susan Hill, I am in the 4th chapter and again I am hooked. Why have never come across her work before?

Review to follow very soon!

Andie P x

Sorry this has taken so long but here is my review for The Women in Black...enjoy!!!

The Women in Black was first published in 1983, when I read this I became concerned that I may find it too ‘old fashioned’ as usually I enjoy modern horror/paranormal stories. However, the book remained current and from the first chapter I was hooked. This is the first time I have read any of Susan Hill’s work, I am now a huge fan and have just purchased another two of her books, she is a fantastic atmospheric writer and has the ability to draw you in with ease. I have heard the book being described as ‘good old fashioned ghost story’, for me it certainly includes all the usual staples of a ghost story but it is not ordinary or predictable. It had me looking over my shoulder on many occasions (which rarely happens). The story is narrated by the protagonist, Arthur Kipps. It begins with Arthur spending Christmas with his family and then jumps back to his time as a young Solicitor, Arthur retrospectively begins a memoir of the frightening experiences of when he was asked to take care of the estate of the deceased Mrs Alice Drablow. Most of the story is based within the eerie Eel Marsh House, belonging to Mrs Drablow. Arthur decides to spend a few nights inside the house whilst he is dealing with the affairs, against the advice of the locals! The introduction of the local characters and their suggestive but non-committal ways heightens the anticipation. I realise I am keeping my review quite vague but I really don’t want to give anything away and spoil it! I have seen a trailer for the film adaptation of which I can’t wait to see, however I think it is true to say that the book will remain the most chilling option. I read once that the mind can scare itself by a book more so than anything portrayed on screen, and in this case, I would definitely agree. Highly recommended if you look a good scare, I can’t wait to read the rest of Hill’s work.

Andie P x

Just finished reading The Woman in Black as well also my first Susan Hill book although I do have Mrs de Winter, The Various Haunts of Men & a book of short stories by her on my TBR pile which I will get round to reading eventually :smile: . I agree it is a very atmospheric book & a very enjoyable read

Just finished reading The Woman in Black as well also my first Susan Hill book although I do have Mrs de Winter, The Various Haunts of Men & a book of short stories by her on my TBR pile which I will get round to reading eventually :smile: . I agree it is a very atmospheric book & a very enjoyable read

Oh, thanks for telling me about the short stories, that will be added to my TBR list!!! What's the short story collection called?

Andie P x

Edited by Andie P

Oh, thanks for telling me about the short stories, that will be added to my TBR list!!! What's the short story collection called?

Andie P x

The Boy Who Taught The Beekeeper To Read, I found it on the library's books for sale trolley & snapped it up for a few pence :smile:

The Boy Who Taught The Beekeeper To Read, I found it on the library's books for sale trolley & snapped it up for a few pence :smile:

Thanks for the tip, will try and find that.

So, I have eventually finished 'The man in the picture' (by Susan Hill) and I am slightly disappointed, it certainly wasn't as good as 'The women in black', but nonetheless, it was still a good read. Review to follow...

Andie P x

Edited by Andie P

So, here is my review for The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill.

As a new fan of Susan Hill I just couldn’t wait to get my teeth into this novella. I shouldn’t really compare it to ‘The Women in Black’ but it just doesn’t have the same grip and eeriness about it.

The story is narrated by Theo, an old Cambridge lecturer who is telling a former student; Oliver about a Venetian party painting that hangs upon his wall. As you have probably guessed it is no ordinary painting, it appears just as ordinary as any other oil painting but it is full of evil, hatred and revenge.

The sub plots within the story created more depth but sometimes made it a little disjointed for me and I found it hard to follow. An interesting story but I wouldn’t recommend if you are a ‘ghost story connoisseur’ as it just doesn’t have that bite.

However, despite my disappointment I have to give well deserved credit for Hill’s descriptive and atmospheric writing skills, there wasn’t much left to the imagination when I was reading, she creates a scene just perfectly.

Andie P x

My review for The People Next Door, by Christopher Ransom.

“You will never guess their secret, you will never forget the twist”

This statement on the front of the book, plus the great artistry grabbed me straight away, I love to be scared and it sounded so very intriguing. For this reason only I persevered through the confusing plot which failed to grab me.

The story is based around the ‘Nash family’, a dysfunctional lot all with their own individual complicated problems. These sub-plots, I assume, were added to create more depth but the swapping of narrative throughout the chapters confused the hell of out me.

The Nash family become intrigued by a strange new family who have just moved in next door called ‘The Renders’, I enjoyed learning about these new characters more so than the protagonists, their strange ways and suggestive dialogue made me stop reading for a second, sit back and try to figure out what was going on.

The plot itself is a great idea but it’s delivery let it down, I guessed half way through what was going on but hoped I was wrong so I could have experienced the ‘big twist’.

On a plus side, Ransom writes very descriptively, some of the gory scenes were very detailed and he certainly didn’t hold back, fans of gore type horror may enjoy this book.

I am a sucker for a suspense story but this had just too much, there were so many different things going it became over complicated.

This was a strange read for me, my interest and praise for the book fluctuated, and the ending was a big let down. There were some good chilling scenes but you have to dig your way through to get them, I would describe it as an ‘OK’ book but certainly not a must read.

Andie P x

So, I have finished my book club review book 'Dangerous Waters' and will work on the review today.

I have picked up 'Apartment 16' up off my shelf and can't wait to start reading it. Isn't it a lovely feeling when you pick up a new book to read!! It's so exciting!

Review for 'Dangerous Waters' by Anne Allen to follow.....watch this space!

Andie P x

Here is my review for Dangerous Waters:

'Mystery, loss and love on the Island of Guernsey'

The protagonist Jeanne Le Page returns to the Island of Guernsey following the death of her Grandmother, this is a reluctant trip due to a personal tragedy that occurred fifteen years previous, however she is also escaping an unhappy life in England. The stay in Guernsey brings her flashbacks and nightmares of the tragedy but she also experiences new mystery's and tragedy's during her stay. Jeanne has inherited her Grandmothers cottage, which in itself brings more mystery and drama.

Jeanne's initial plan to sell the cottage and return to England is disturbed by the influence of friends, romantic interests and the discovery and resolution of many mystery's, which all attract her to stay.

This is a really atmospheric and descriptive piece of writing, I was transformed to the Island of Guernsey and could imagine every detail without much effort. As well as being a great fictional story I have learnt more about the Island, it's fascinating history and culture. It is an obviously well researched novel and with the touch of history relating to the German Occupation, it really brought the story to life.

This is a great mystery novel, with plenty of intriguing sub-plots and suspense which kept me reading even when it was time to go to bed! I found myself guessing correctly what was happening but this didn't discourage me from enjoying the book because the suspense was enough to keep going to check I was right.

This is an easy, enjoyable and intriguing read. Great for the Summer, sat in the sun and reading over a glass of wine! Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished Apartment 16! Review to follow!

Its fair to say I am a huge Adam Nevill fan already (and I have only read this one book!).

Andie P x

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my review for Apartment 16. Highly recommended.

Apartment 16 is a dark and disturbing tale of Barrington House, a luxurious apartment building in London which seems to have a strong hold on the people who live there. There are two main narrative viewpoints which are delivered cleverly generating the feeling of tension which eventually climaxes perfectly.

Apryl, one of the main characters, has come over from America who inherited an apartment from her great aunt Lillian, she’s a likeable character who you support all the way through in her quest to find out what’s really going on in Barrington House. Seth, is a night porter and artist who is also drawn into the darkness and intrigue of Apartment 16, after investigating strange noises coming from the apartment, he enters it and his life changes forever.

Often novels within the supernatural genre are predictable, this certainly wasn’t, I remember raising my eyebrows in surprise a number of times! The descriptions and imagery are the best I have read in a long time, it’s disturbing, grotesque and dark. I enjoyed every page.

Nevill’s writing style can take some getting used to, it’s not an easy book to put down and pick up again, you have to give it your full attention which it so rightly deserves. It is an intelligent, unique and interesting story, one that certainly takes a warped mind to conjure up!

Apartment 16 is a must read for any horror fan out there, it’s weird, warped and wonderful. Thank you for bringing it into the world Mr Nevill!

4/5