Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

I'm very late in commenting some of your reviews...

Book #70: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

I think to reveal more details than the blurb already does would totally ruin the experience of reading this novel because, for me, it was the twists and turns of the plot that kept my attention. On the face of it, I suppose, the book is quite different from what I normally read. Although I have read a fair amount of historical fiction it has usually been to do with Ancient Rome, Medieval times, and the Tudors - mainly the likes of Cornwell, Sansom, Harris etc - but I have also read a bit of Dickens and Austen, and this book felt to me like a modern take on the latter two, rather than my usual fare.

I think when we set out to do the reading challenge I thought this book would be good for you in that you do read historical fiction, and yet this is something you wouldn't pick up on your own. And of course it's one of my favorite reads, that had something to do with it too :giggle: And yet somehow I think that most of the historical fiction you read is historical (fantasy) fiction. So this was a very different sort of book for you. I'm happy you chose to read it, from purely selfish reasons (I want to push my favorites forward!).

For much of the book I had trouble liking any of the characters, including hers - I found them all, without exception, completely unsympathetic, but I suppose that some of the twists that happened made me understand her a little more.

I don't think you're off the mark with that statement: it was some years ago when I read the book, so I can't remember for sure, but I have this vague notion that I didn't 'carry a torch' for any of the characters; it was the events and the plot that made the book for me, and with that the relationships and interaction of the characters.

For the most part I liked it, but there did seem to be an inordinate amount of hand-wringing going on and - if you've ever read my reviews of the likes of Dracula or Riders of the Purple Sage - you'll know how much that sort of writing makes me want to start throwing things around

:o Did you not like Dracula?!

It's a beautifully written book, very evocative of time and place, and the characters are brilliantly drawn, if wholly unlikeable. A little humour wouldn't have gone amiss, and the end . . .

whilst I enjoyed the fatalistic nature of what happened to many of the characters, I didn't like the very final scenes, which almost had 'and they lived happily ever after' as the final line, and felt - to me - at odds with everything that had gone before.

It was beautifully written, wasn't it :) It's funny about the spoiler thing, because (again, it was a few years ago when I read the book, so I can't be sure I remember correctly) I felt that it was all a bit out there.

This is the second book I've read off frankie's challenge list. I liked it a lot, but it couldn't have topped Kavalier & Clay however much it tried. Thanks again frankie!

You're very welcome, and again, I'm very happy you chose this novel to read as well! And no worries, I do get why you would like K&C a whole lot more than this novel.

I've been thinking, now that you've read two of the books from my challenge list, and I've read one off yours, plus The Lions of Al-Rassan: would you be interested in continuing with the challenge, and if so, would you like to choose from the set list again, or do you think we should come up with a new list of five titles? I'm not saying The Lions of Al-Rassan equals as one read off the list, but if I remember correctly Replay was on the list and I now have the title and will read it anyways?

Book #74: Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis

BitterSeeds.jpg

I'm still debating over whether I should bravely add this to my wishlist or not...

Book #81: The Man in the Snow by Rory Clements

I like the sound of this... and I have the (first?) five C. J. Sansom novels on my TBR... Hm!

I certainly bought them and boasted about them... whether I was the first or not i'm not sure.

:D Tim, always take the credit if it's offered to you! :giggle2:

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly bought them and boasted about them... whether I was the first or not i'm not sure. :giggle2:

Tim, always take the credit if it's offered to you! :giggle2:

Aha, I do remember you saying you'd got them Tim, yes, but it was actually Tristan who first mentioned the particular hardback that I got for Christmas to me. You did draw my attention to the similar short story collection, though, which is now almost a 'must' for me :smile:

I'm very late in commenting some of your reviews...

*sob*

I think when we set out to do the reading challenge I thought this book would be good for you in that you do read historical fiction, and yet this is something you wouldn't pick up on your own. And of course it's one of my favorite reads, that had something to do with it too :giggle: And yet somehow I think that most of the historical fiction you read is historical (fantasy) fiction. So this was a very different sort of book for you. I'm happy you chose to read it, from purely selfish reasons (I want to push my favorites forward!).

Most of the historical fiction I read is set in the time of the Tudors or Ancient Rome, and mainly crime/mystery stories. GGK's really the only historical fantasy I've read, really. I agree, though, that Fingersmith was a different sort of book for me, regardless of the other stuff I read :smile:

Did you not like Dracula?!

Loved the first half, hated the second :lol:

I've been thinking, now that you've read two of the books from my challenge list, and I've read one off yours, plus The Lions of Al-Rassan: would you be interested in continuing with the challenge, and if so, would you like to choose from the set list again, or do you think we should come up with a new list of five titles? I'm not saying The Lions of Al-Rassan equals as one read off the list, but if I remember correctly Replay was on the list and I now have the title and will read it anyways?

I'll have to think about that - I nearly killed myself trying to find five titles for the last list :lol:

I'm still debating over whether I should bravely add this to my wishlist or not...

Go on, you know you want to ;)

I like the sound of this... and I have the (first?) five C. J. Sansom novels on my TBR... Hm!

The Man in the Snow is a Kindle-only release, frankie. I'd recommend Martyr, though - it's the first book in the series and it's great fun, about a plot to assassinate Sir Francis Drake :smile:

*sob*

Shut up :D

Most of the historical fiction I read is set in the time of the Tudors or Ancient Rome, and mainly crime/mystery stories. GGK's really the only historical fantasy I've read, really. I agree, though, that Fingersmith was a different sort of book for me, regardless of the other stuff I read

Well at least we agree on something...

Loved the first half, hated the second :lol:

Bloody hell. Should probably read your whole review.

I'll have to think about that - I nearly killed myself trying to find five titles for the last list

And how's that? As if you didn't have enough fantasy/sci-fi novels you love to recommend to a poor unassuming gal...!

Go on, you know you want to

I might... But that's no guarantee I'll actually get a copy and read it :P

The Man in the Snow is a Kindle-only release, frankie.

Stupid Kindle... :drama:

I'd recommend Martyr, though - it's the first book in the series and it's great fun, about a plot to assassinate Sir Francis Drake

Martyr -like things fit my current mood :drama:

:giggle2:

:D Tim, always take the credit if it's offered to you! :giggle2:

Aha, I do remember you saying you'd got them Tim, yes, but it was actually Tristan who first mentioned the particular hardback that I got for Christmas to me. You did draw my attention to the similar short story collection, though, which is now almost a 'must' for me :smile:

I will definitely take credit for the short story collection then! They look great when you have all three of them together :D

I will definitely take credit for the short story collection then! They look great when you have all three of them together :D

*jealous*

I'll get the other two sooner or later . . . when I have some shelf space :lol: The only thing I'm not so happy with is that the spine seems quite weak, which is a shame. Probably not good for repeated reading.

And how's that? As if you didn't have enough fantasy/sci-fi novels you love to recommend to a poor unassuming gal...!

The problem I had was that very few of the ones I wanted to recommend were stand-alones, so it was difficult. Then there was the Orson Scott Card debacle :banghead: Maybe I won't stick to sf/fantasy if we do another list :shrug:

Martyr -like things fit my current mood :drama:

Nothing new there, then :P:giggle2:

The problem I had was that very few of the ones I wanted to recommend were stand-alones, so it was difficult. Then there was the Orson Scott Card debacle :banghead: Maybe I won't stick to sf/fantasy if we do another list :shrug:

But the idea behind doing the list was to get me to reading scifi/fantasy, in the first place. I'm comfortable reading all the other genres you normally read...

Nothing new there, then :P:giggle2:

Oi! :o:drama:

But the idea behind doing the list was to get me to reading scifi/fantasy, in the first place. I'm comfortable reading all the other genres you normally read...

Oh, okay then :lol:

Happy Reading in 2013 Steve :) You're going to avoid all sci-fi/fantasy books .. is that right? ;)

Actually, I was considering that. Okay, I wasn't, not really :giggle2:

Hey steve can we post on your 2013 thread yet or is it still under construction?

Oh yeah, go right ahead :smile:

Book #86: The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

HGWellsClassicCollection_zps1b22cfe1.jpg

Instead of the usual blurb, here's the wonderful opening paragraph:

'No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.'

So begins possibly the most famous - and certainly the most influential - story of an alien invasion of our planet. I doubt anyone is unaware of this story, even if they haven't read it. I find Wells's imagination quite staggering. When was the last time a tale of this sort was truly original, I wonder? I suspect it was in 1898, when this novel was first published (although I believe it was serialised the year before). I can't believe that any subsequent alien invasion story has not taken at least subtle clues from this work.

Wells's nameless narrator (going one step further than the main protagonist of The Time Machine, who was never named but was at least called The Time Traveller) is at the heart of the matter from the moment the first Martian cylinder crashes to Earth on Horsell Common. Curious, he goes to the crash site and witnesses first-hand what unfolds there. Nights and days of genuine terror follow. Huge alien machines stalk the suburbs of London (I was on the edge of my seat when the story passed through my neck of the woods :hide: ) brandishing heat rays against the guns ranged against them. There's a sense of tension throughout the tale, and some truly memorable sequences of panic and destruction . . .

Particularly when the narrator's brother comes upon the fleeing population near Barnet and then, later, the escape on the Essex coast - both brilliantly written, conveying the sense of fear and hysteria.

It's quite strange, after seeing the adaptations and all the might of the military brought to bear on the Martians, to read the original story and see the people relying on artillery and cavalry.

It's also quite funny in places. I had to laugh when the narrator tells of one of his brother's travelling companions, who would rather return to her home than travel to France - because the French might be worse than the Martians :giggle2: Some other amusing moments are more due to the language than genuine humour. Men in this novel seem to run around ejaculating a lot. Unwanted mental images, thank you Mr Wells!

Having said that, I am always amazed at his writing style. You'd think it would be dated but - apart from the occasional instance mentioned above - his writing has lost none of its impact to me. I've read three of his novels now, and they all have a breathless pace, an impetus that drives the story, the ideas and the characters inevitably onwards. There's no hand-wringing or melodrama - he just gets on with it. There's something about it that feels fresh as a daisy, even over a century later. Sure, we know a hell of a lot more about Mars now, but I found it easy to get swept up in the story and, above all, the imagination. I would also be interested to learn more about the time during which he wrote his best work, just to find out what influenced him. It's easy to see some of the points he was trying to make, but I'm sure there is more there of which I am presently unaware. The man was a genius, completely single-minded in his approach.

This is undoubtedly the last book I will finish in 2012. What a way to end the year. Brilliant. Absolutely bloody brilliant.

10/10

I listened to the BBC dramatised audio version, which was great fun. :)

I've never listened to an audio book - I may have to give this one a go! Thanks for the link, Michelle :smile:

I heard him say this also.

Must've been someone impersonating me :o

Great review of The War of the Worlds, Steve. It's an awesome book. :)

Thanks Kylie, it is a rather good book :smile:

I've just been going through my reading list for the year, as it's not going to change any further with just over 11 hours to go until 2013 . . .

I gave six books full marks in 2012. Of these, my absolute favourite reads of the year were Replay by Ken Grimwood and The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, two books that completely enthralled me, the first because it was so constantly surprising and emotional, the other because it was so dark, gritty and uncompromising, yet full of humour. Replay would just get the nod. It's one of the best books I've ever read.

Close behind those two would be The Island of Doctor Moreau and The War of the Worlds, both by H. G. Wells. Herbert done good :D

The lowest score I gave was a 3. My average score was 7.5.

There were two books that I did not finish: Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist and Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover. The first bored me to tears, and the second I just could not get to grips with at all. I suspect that I just wasn't in the right mood for either. My biggest disappointment was the first book in Steven Erikson's new trilogy, Forge of Darkness. I guess I was expecting too much from it, and that I may revise my opinion once the trilogy is complete.

The thing that surprised me most, though, is that - other than Replay, The Heroes and the two Wells novels - the book I have thought about most is Iain M. Banks's The Algebraist. At the time I found at least the first half of it a real struggle, but the second half was so good that it has left as lasting impression. I suspect I under-scored it with a 7, and look forward to re-reading it at some point down the line.

Farewell 2012, bring on 2013! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had a few reviews of yours to still read through, I didn't remember if I had commented them or not. So I read/re-read the last few pages of your log just now and here are thoughts:

I can't remember if I already added The Chicago Way to my wishlist, but it's going on it now. And I guess I'm now finally going to hesitantly add Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis on the same wishlist, as well :giggle2: Look out, horizons, get off your sorry arses and stretch a little, you might be needing to relocate this year!

Martyr by Rory Clements is already going on my wishlist, I know we talked about it but I can't remember it I just wrote it down on some post-it or if I actually have it on the list on here already.

So thanks for those :)

The lowest score I gave was a 3. My average score was 7.5.

I think that's a pretty great average score for a year, not a shabby reading year at all :)

Bye bye 2012!

I can't remember if I already added The Chicago Way to my wishlist, but it's going on it now. And I guess I'm now finally going to hesitantly add Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis on the same wishlist, as well :giggle2: Look out, horizons, get off your sorry arses and stretch a little, you might be needing to relocate this year!

Martyr by Rory Clements is already going on my wishlist, I know we talked about it but I can't remember it I just wrote it down on some post-it or if I actually have it on the list on here already.

So thanks for those :)

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy them if/when you read them :smile:

I was talking to a friend in the pub last week and telling him about the Rory Clements series, and he immediately got his Kindle out and bought Martyr :smile:

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy them if/when you read them :smile:

We'll see! :)

I was talking to a friend in the pub last week and telling him about the Rory Clements series, and he immediately got his Kindle out and bought Martyr :smile:

Lucky bestard, he can also buy the Kindle only -release you reviewed which initially caught my attention and which I wanted to get... :rolleyes: Some people can be so greedy.

Lucky bestard, he can also buy the Kindle only -release you reviewed which initially caught my attention and which I wanted to get... :rolleyes: Some people can be so greedy.

You could always get the Kindle app for you laptop and read The Man in the Snow on there :smile: