Ben's Reading 2012

Ben

Count me as another who loves To Kill a Mockinbird. I first read it around the age of twelve and have read it countless times since then. Scout may be my favorite character of all time.

I can't remember anyone giving it a bad review really. I mean, we've had 'okay' but never bad, and the majority love it.

I've been meaning to read Rebecca forever. I really need to get to that.

Ah you should it's fantastic. ;)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished Lethal by Sandra Brown, a review book from Hodder that I enjoyed very much. Had some fantastic twists and turns.

Review coming a little later. :D

Just finished Lethal by Sandra Brown, a review book from Hodder that I enjoyed very much. Had some fantastic twists and turns.

Review coming a little later. :D

I think I might have read this one Ben! I will know for sure when I read your review.

I think I might have read this one Ben! I will know for sure when I read your review.

I posted the synopsis on the previous page, but the review is on its way!

Ahh, I can't believe this. Loaded To Kill a Mockingbird on my Kindle to find that the line-spacing is all wrong to the extent that I won't be able to read it all the way through. I've checked the Kindle store but can't find any other versions. I'd order the physical copy but can't at the moment, so for the time being it looks like I'll have to put it aside. :(

Edited by Ben

Current books on the go.

So at the moment I'm reading a review book entitled The Bones of Avignon by Jefferson Bass, and for my summer 2012 classics challenge I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo by of course Alexandre Dumas. The latter of which I'm quite certain will be an ongoing read for a little while at least. :lol:

Slow going with The Bones of Avignon but I am enjoying it so I'm not sure why it's taking so long. Will persevere at any rate. :smile2:

Managed to have a good reading day today and have now almost finished The Bones of Avignon. I seemed to get lost in it today and as a result there's not much more than fifty pages left. I'm hoping the finale will bring together everything quite nicely and not leave me feeling disappointed.

I assume I'll finish when I drag myself off here, so I shall post my review sometime tomorrow.

Well I have been making steady progress with The Count of Monte Cristo and it really is a cracking read. It's length is enough to dissuade most people, but I wish it wasn't, for I am enjoying every last word. I managed to have an extraordinarily good reading day today in the sunshine, and as a result I've raced through a good couple of hundred pages.

So that means I'm just about halfway through. :haha:

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and oh my word, what a remarkable read. Ever since I got two thirds of the way through, or thereabouts, about two years ago, I often wondered how the novel would develop in the latter stages. I deeply regret never making myself finish it, for it was truly wonderful. I can't do it justice with words but it really was a sprawling, meticulously-detailed novel, that I would recommend to pretty much everyone I know.

5/5.

To read alongside To Kill a Mockingbird which I am reading for my '2012 Summer Classics' challenge, I am also going to read If You're Reading This I'm Already Dead by Andrew Nicoll which is a review book from Quercus and which looks great.

Synopsis:

Sitting in his caravan, drinking what is left of his coffee (dust), Otto has narrowly escaped death at the hands of allied bombs. Convinced his luck has run out and he will not see morning, he decides to record the story of his life for the poor soul who finds his body. And what a story it is. Years earlier, when he was working in either Buda or Pest, working at the circus, a newspaper article was brought to his attention. Why? Because in it was a picture of a Turkish prince, called to Albania to be their new king. And this prince just so happened to bear a striking resemblance to Otto... A plan is formed, adventure is born and with the help of Otto's friends, enemies (and a camel), Albania is about to get a king it never bargained for.

This looks like a very odd story but one which sounds like it could be pretty amusing and quite enjoyable. I'm looking forward to it.

Woohoo! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. :D

It was wonderful. I was thinking about doing a review or just typing up some thoughts on it when I thought to myself that no matter what I tried to say about it, I wouldn't be able to do it justice. I'm not sure if it's because it's so vast and so much happens, or because I wouldn't want to ruin a single word to someone that hadn't read it, but for the first time ever I'm loathe to add my thoughts other than to just say that everyone should read it.

I had the exact same feeling when it came to reviewing To Kill a Mockingbird, and I know other people have too. I wrote the lamest review ever for that book.

Ah, damn these excellent novels. It's so frustrating when you want to scream from the rooftops how much you enjoyed a novel but can't seem to formulate the words. Particularly when I'd love to strongly recommend it to people with justifications other than 'it's amazing.' :haha:

Well I'm 70% (according to my Kindle) of the way through Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird and so far it's fantastic. I really like the way in which Lee writes, her words work on so many different levels. I'm quite certain I'll race through the remaining pages as I really want to see how this is going to turn out.

Well I've just finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The story is one which has deep meaning and for me it really was thought-provoking. Although it's set in 1930s I found it saddening how some of the points about divisions in society and the barriers between class and race are still definitely relevant today. Lee writes with raw emotion, you can see she feels passionate about what she has to say, and I think that's why it made me think so much. Although the novel certainly hits home a few grim realities, the author also, at times, creates humour and laugh-out-loud moments. The children in the novel, who play carefree in the yard, serve to highlight the idiocy of some people's attitudes towards others that aren't of the same race. Ultimately, then, this is a novel that contains important messages of prejudice and discrimination, and is one that everyone should read.

5/5.

That's an excellent review, Ben. I didn't think it was reviewable, but you proved me wrong. :) I'm so, so glad you loved it.

(Hehe, I thought I was making up a word with 'reviewable', but it actually is a word!)

That's an excellent review, Ben. I didn't think it was reviewable, but you proved me wrong. :) I'm so, so glad you loved it.

(Hehe, I thought I was making up a word with 'reviewable', but it actually is a word!)

Why thank you, at first I wasn't going to attempt it (I think if I tried to write a full-length one I'd struggle to formulate exactly what I wanted to say), but then a few of my thoughts stumbled out of their own accord. It wrote itself really.

:haha: Way to go!

So pleased you enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird :) Your review of it was brilliant, I found it really difficult to review!

So did I. Thanks though, it would have been an absolute travesty if I would have left it on my TBR pile any longer!

Great review! I'm going on a mini-holiday next week and planning to take To Kill A Mockingbird as my holiday book.

Good choice my friend, I do hope you enjoy it and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.