Ben's Reading 2012

Ben

So with To Kill a Mockingbird finished I can now turn my attention to If You're Reading This I'm Already Dead by Andrew Nicoll, the synopsis of which I posted here on a previous page. Once I've finished that I am finally going to get around to reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It has sat on my shelves since the previous August where it returned from my holiday unread. Due to the peer pressure of certain members - ahem, Kylie ;) - I'll soon shake of the dust and get started.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review Ben and so glad you enjoyed it! Didn't I tell you it was a crime to have not read it!

keep the reviews coming...my goodness you read quick!

Andie P x

Due to the peer pressure of certain members - ahem, Kylie ;) - I'll soon shake of the dust and get started.

Who, moi? :angel_not:

While I was certain you would enjoy To Kill a Mockingbird, I'm more worried about recommending Catch-22 because it's a love it or hate it type book. :unsure:

Great review Ben and so glad you enjoyed it! Didn't I tell you it was a crime to have not read it!

keep the reviews coming...my goodness you read quick!

Thanks! You did indeed tell me so. I find it pays dividends to listen to the wonderful members on this board. ;)

Ah, I have a lot of spare time on my hands and I like nothing better than to fill it reading great books.

Who, moi? :angel_not:

While I was certain you would enjoy To Kill a Mockingbird, I'm more worried about recommending Catch-22 because it's a love it or hate it type book. :unsure:

Don't be acting all innocent. :P

Don't worry, I'll only hold it against you a little bit if I don't. :haha: Just kidding, I've wanted to read it for ages. It would be ridiculous if we all enjoyed the same books anyway, so don't you worry even if I don't enjoy it as much as you did.

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and oh my word, what a remarkable read. Ever since I got two thirds of the way through, or thereabouts, about two years ago, I often wondered how the novel would develop in the latter stages. I deeply regret never making myself finish it, for it was truly wonderful. I can't do it justice with words but it really was a sprawling, meticulously-detailed novel, that I would recommend to pretty much everyone I know.

5/5.

Adding this to my wishlist. Thanks for the review Ben.

I agree Kylie . I think you have to give it at least 100 pages to get into the writing style but I loved it

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and oh my word, what a remarkable read. Ever since I got two thirds of the way through, or thereabouts, about two years ago, I often wondered how the novel would develop in the latter stages. I deeply regret never making myself finish it, for it was truly wonderful. I can't do it justice with words but it really was a sprawling, meticulously-detailed novel, that I would recommend to pretty much everyone I know.

5/5.

Well, I'm sold:) I've actually had this on my tbr for ages (I think I may have said in another thread), but I'm really looking forward to it. Now I think of it, I don't think I've ever ever read a bad review of this book.

Well I've just finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The story is one which has deep meaning and for me it really was thought-provoking. Although it's set in 1930s I found it saddening how some of the points about divisions in society and the barriers between class and race are still definitely relevant today. Lee writes with raw emotion, you can see she feels passionate about what she has to say, and I think that's why it made me think so much. Although the novel certainly hits home a few grim realities, the author also, at times, creates humour and laugh-out-loud moments. The children in the novel, who play carefree in the yard, serve to highlight the idiocy of some people's attitudes towards others that aren't of the same race. Ultimately, then, this is a novel that contains important messages of prejudice and discrimination, and is one that everyone should read.

5/5.

Brilliant review Ben :)

I first read TKAM when I was 14, and it's one of the very few books which I have re-read several times. I never get bored of it. Such a fabulous, moving and still relevant book.

Adding this to my wishlist. Thanks for the review Ben.

You're very welcome. :smile2:

I agree Kylie . I think you have to give it at least 100 pages to get into the writing style but I loved it

Ah yes, I heard that it takes some getting used to, so don't worry I'll give it a fair go. ;)

Well, I'm sold:) I've actually had this on my tbr for ages (I think I may have said in another thread), but I'm really looking forward to it. Now I think of it, I don't think I've ever ever read a bad review of this book.

Yay! I'm really glad you're going to get around to this soon, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I don't think I've ever read a bad review of The Count of Monte Cristo either, so I'm clearly not the only one that things it's awesome.

Brilliant review Ben :)

I first read TKAM when I was 14, and it's one of the very few books which I have re-read several times. I never get bored of it. Such a fabulous, moving and still relevant book.

Thanks, I felt like I had to say something about it because it was brilliant. I'm sure that I too will re-read it many times in the future.

Just finished If You're Reading This, I'm Already Dead by Andrew Nicoll and I must say that in the end it was an enjoyable read. At times I wasn't sure about it, but the brutal honesty of an old man sat around as the allied bombs fall around him, determined to tell his final tale, was at times saddening to read. His story, however, is entirely the opposite: a raucous romp of a tale which is so unbelievable you can't help but get swept up into it.

I'll post up a full review shortly as I have much more to say.

We'll be here .

:lol: Did you check out my review of Lethal in the end? I was wondering earlier if it was the book you thought you'd read.

My review of If You're Reading This, I'm Already Dead by Andrew Nicoll can be found here.

4/5.

Edited by Ben

Well, I'm certainly not worried that I'm not going to enjoy Catch-22 now. I've read about fifty pages so far and I'm really enjoying it already.

That's great, I just got my copy today. :D

Just saw on the other thread, you planning on reading it soon? :smile2:

Well, I'm certainly not worried that I'm not going to enjoy Catch-22 now. I've read about fifty pages so far and I'm really enjoying it already.

Yay so pleased your enjoying it :yahoo:

Not straight away but it is high on the list :D

Awesome news! We can compare notes. :D

Yay so pleased your enjoying it :yahoo:

So am I, seems I had nothing to be worried about. ;)

Ben's Marvellous May Reading Review

Okay, so May was a busy month for me, what with the close of my first year at university and the end-of-year exams. Thankfully, having my exams near the start of the month, mine were all finished by the middle of the month, and I was free to start on my reading for the summer. I made the decision then, to create 'Ben's 2012 Summer Challenge' in order to focus on more of the classics that I haven't ever got around to reading. You wonderful members inspired me with recommendations which will make up the majority of my reading list throughout these holidays. May for me was making a start on that list, and getting through the various review books I was sent.

In any case, my first read of the year was a review book read for BCF - The Good Father by Noah Hawley. It was a very enjoyable read about a father searching for answers after he finds out that his son - from his failed first marriage - has shot a presidential candidate. Thought-provoking, fascinating, and utterly compelling. As the month continued I finished the first classic from my summer challenge, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Another five star read, we follow the journey of a young girl whisked away to the stately home of Manderley where she feels alone and unwelcome, haunted by the shadow of her husband's previous wife. My next read was another review book for BCF: Lethal by Sandra Brown. This was a clever thriller with plenty of twists and turns that had me guessing right to the end. Not my usual genre but thoroughly entertaining nevertheless.

The fourth book that I read in May, was The Bones of Avignon by Jefferson Bass; a review book from Quercus. This was a story of the remarkable discovery of some two thousand-year-old bones which could be those of Jesus Christ. It was fast-paced, action-packed, and all in all an enjoyable read. Next, out of frustration at the fact that my Kindle copy of To Kill a Mockingbird had line-spacing issues and therefore I wouldn't be able to read it, I decided to attempt the 1,200 page epic, Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo. Nothing I ever say about this novel could do it justice, therefore if you want a sprawling, meticulously-detailed novel filled with love, betrayal and death, then give it a read for yourselves.

Next up, I was spared the further frustration at not being able to read To Kill a Mockingbird, by the wonderful Kylie. She kindly sent me a version compatible with my Kindle. I can safely say that I have waited far too long to read this absolutely marvellous novel by Harper Lee. It's hard to put together thoughts on, but I did my best here. Next up, my seventh and final read of the month, was another review book from Quercus entitled If You're Reading This, I'm Already Dead and written by Andrew Nicoll. Now, this was an extraordinary odd tale, a joyous romp which is so unbelievable you can't help but love it. It was hilarious, and I'd recommend to anyone that likes a good laugh.

So seven books read in May and 49 so far in total this year. I'm now just three books off what I read in the entirety of last year, and one off an average of ten per month. I'm currently reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, which has been fantastic so far, and I hope to carry on my good start to the reading year, into June. I hope everyone else has had a great reading month. :friends0:

Edited by Ben

Well it's been a little while coming what with illness for a few days and also my apparently sudden desire to start watching a bunch of films over the past week or so (nothing wrong with that but not when it gets in the way of my reading; I have to say that's inexcusable), but I have finished my fiftieth book of the year and the first of hopefully many marvellous June reads.

Mini-Review:

Joseph Heller's Catch-22 in some ways transcends analysis; only by reading this simply wonderful novel, can the author's creative genius be truly recognised. In an often bizarre, brutal and baffling story, Heller writes with a beautiful touch; switching from moments of hilarity to melancholy sadness from one line to the next. Captain John Yossarian, our protagonist, is the true delight of Heller's novel; a witty, paranoid bombardier who believes everyone is out to kill him as he strives with an unpatriotic attitude simply to save himself, and escape the war with his life. Brilliantly honest, vulnerable and ultimately endearing, Yossarian faces a multitude of obstacles in his search for freedom; not least the threat of insanity that lurks in the shadows for all the men of war.

From the small island of Pianosa that has it's fair share of fist fights and frolicking in the sand, to the streets of Rome where the men go to unwind; greed and corruption on every street corner. Heller takes us on a sprawling journey of heroism in the face of inevitable death, delving deep into the psychology of those men that have no choice to fight for their country; trapped in a whirlwind of bombs, flights, and screams that pierce the night. A web of characters so rich in contrast, and yet in some ways they all seem the same: war escapes no man. Those high in command put on brave, authoritative faces, but inside every man feels the same fear instilled by the war around them, even if for different reasons: fear of death; the dread of failure; the frightful reality that they may never see their family again. In essence then, Heller's novel is penned with gritty realism that at times shocks and startles, but at the same time written with a lightness of touch that has you laughing aloud, then pausing to check yourself on whether you really should.

If we were to unpack Catch-22 in its entirety and delve through the many layers of rich meaning that Heller packs into this truly epic novel, we could write an analysis that would stretch as far as the Mediterranean sea. Yet it seems futile to attempt a true description of this masterpiece; perhaps as useless as Yossarian's frightened pleas to be sent home. Read this terribly terrific novel today and follow his journey for yourself.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

Phew, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Brilliant review. :)

It was amazing. I think I might go as far as to say it could be in my top five classics of all time.

Woohoo! I have a lot of favourites and am usually hard pressed to put them in any sort of order, but Catch-22 would always make it into my top five, along with To Kill a Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice. It gets hazier after that.

Have you ever reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson?

I absolutely adore all three of those texts. I'm not sure Pride and Prejudice would make it into my top five but it certainly wouldn't be far away at all. F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby would have to be there without a doubt. I think I'll have a better idea when I've managed to follow my intention to tackle a few more classics, though.

I have not. I watched the film earlier this year but it was at a friend's party and my memory is hazy of it - appropriately so, you could say. :lol: I've been wanting to read the book for a while though, I'm assuming you enjoyed it?

Edited by Ben

You assume correctly. :) It's another of my favourite reads, perhaps outside of my top 5, but right up there.

The Great Gatsby is right up there for me too. I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out.

I'll make sure I add it to the list (which reminds me I need to update the list at some stage..). :lol:

I'm nervous about the adaptation of The Great Gatsby. I mean, I have a lot of faith in Leo as Gatsby (I can see how that works), but I'm not so sure about Tobey Maguire for Nick. I think I'm perhaps most sceptical only because the book is one of my favourites and thus I'm not entirely confident about whether they can pull it off. I did think though, that aside from the awful use of the Kanye West/Jay-Z song at the start (which I'm hoping won't be in the film and was just for trailer purposes), that the trailer showed great promise.

I'm very excited for it though. :D