Just finished 2001: A Space Odyssey (spoilers)

I loved the book, but after figuring out the ending I'm a little confused. I mean, the whole book was amazing in the sense that it paints you a perfect picture of how man evolved and brings up some amazing, although hypothetical, situations regarding how we will continue to evolve and become one with the universe... but then the end, it just brings up this whole... "nuclear weapons are bad" statement, and it felt like it came out of nowhere. If the book would have just ended with Bowman becoming omnipotent and such, the book would have been perfect. Nonetheless it was still a great book.

Also, with Bowman becoming omnipotent at the end, is this supposed to be suggesting that man's final stage of evolution is to become god(like)? It appears that Bowman had become godlike in the end. It reminds me a lot of The Last Question by Isaac Asimov

Lastly, did Dave Bowman ever actually leave the monolith on Japedus? Or did he just go on an intellectual journey through the stars while simultaneously becoming omnipotent?

I have never seen the movie so this is just what I'm getting from the book. I had to spark note the last 2 chapters because I just got extremely lost out of nowhere at a few parts.

• 1 month later...

Hi Malcore no it wasn't an intellectual journey the monolith was a gateway, it took him through space and time to somewhere else. That is more clear in the film. I agree the ending with Bowman becoming a Star Baby is less than clear as to its meaning. My best guess is another forced evolution to another stage of humanity.

I like the film and the concept and most of the story but I find Clarke's writing rather boring to be honest.

The end of 2001 book to me always seems to play with the idea that travel makes you more aware and more knowledgeable. Thus by Bowman entering the wormhole he is everywhere and everything at once, and thus through the ultimate system of travel becomes omnipotent.