Sign in to follow this  
sib

Albert Camus

Has anyone read A Happy Death by Albert Camus? I was looking at it in Waterstones and it looked interesting, but I didn't get it at the time. Wondering if it's worth getting. :?

I think A Happy Death is a precursor to The Outsider (or The Stranger), sib, and so not quite a fully formed work as such. I had little joy with another of his unpolished works, The First Man, recently You might want to make sure you've read all his complete and final stuff first, if you haven't already. My eye has been on The Plague for some time...

Certainly get The Outsider, and also The Fall; that's Camus in a nutshell in two books!

If you like that, also check out The Plague and The Myth of Sisyphus; harder going, but worth the effort...

Has anyone read The Myth of Sisyphus? I really enjoyed reading The Stranger so thought I'd give The Myth of Sisyphus a go. I thought the idea behind it was very interesting, but I just couldn't get into it. I found the writing style so vague (a bit like Foucault) and I felt like most of the points he was making were going over my head.

Perhaps it's a book I need to read when I'm a bit older. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it.

I read The Outsider last year and loved it - very thought provoking.