• Announcements

• Hayley

Moving Day Coming Soon   01/11/2021

As many of you know, we've been looking at changing hosts for a while now. This will allow us to access the tech support we need for the site and should speed up the forum as well as ironing out a few issues we've been having recently.    We are now signed up to the new hosting plan and can go ahead with the move as soon as the new hosts have everything they need (which is currently being sorted!). The forum should not be offline for more than a day during the switch and hopefully it won't even take that long. I don't have an exact time or day for the move yet but this is an early warning to expect some downtime soon.   When we are offline, no matter how briefly, you can follow the forum twitter page (@bookclubforum) for updates.  
Weave

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

I am not sure whether I have read this book or not, a long time ago.....:blush:

I've just finished this, and whilst it was compelling, I felt disappointed. It started well, And I think she does a good job of building up suspense, but it then seemed to lose this promise. Some of it left me confused, and I was expecting more towards the end.

I've just finished this, and whilst it was compelling, I felt disappointed. It started well, And I think she does a good job of building up suspense, but it then seemed to lose this promise. Some of it left me confused, and I was expecting more towards the end.

I love Shirley Jackson...I'd read a phone book if she wrote it.  Have you read any others by her or is this the first? (and possibly last  ;)  )

This was the first. I didn't dislike it, it just wasn't what I expected. I think I'd try another. :)

Try her short story The Lottery.  it's one of her best known.  We Have Always Lived in the Castle was good as well  :)

I only recently discovered this great author. I found a book in our local library with short stories and 'The Haunting of Hill House' as well 'We have always lived in the Castle'. 

I was so surprised to find 'The Haunting of Hill House amongst the stories. I'm ashamed to say I saw two versions of the movie based on the book and yet have never heard of Jackson before until recently when I read about her creepy and 'uneasy' stories online which made me curious enough to look for her books here. 

The stories she wrote are quite diverse. I thought the short stories would be scary and 'ghosty', but there was a lot of interesting social commentary behind them and psychology.Very intelligent storytelling really. Same goes for her novels THoHH and WHALitC. I've become a new admirer of the writing of Shirley Jackson.  I like these kind of scary stories much more where the real suspense and even horror is in the psychological instead of weird creatures and gore. 

Looking for more about her as a person brought me to articles describing her as psychic even. She was quite interested in the occult. Unfortunately her life wasn't happy and reading about what she went through, we really are lucky she continued writing and publishing. 

Edited by sadya